"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noitsnothim
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noitsnothim » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:28 pm

Gt91 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:48 am spoilers

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETTtdLBWoAA ... name=small
Everyone is freaking out yet there's omen and true UI Goku probably managed to access Omen at will but the silver/white hair version is much harder to obtain

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:30 pm

Noitsnothim wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:28 pm

Everyone is freaking out yet there's omen and true UI Goku probably managed to access Omen at will but the silver/white hair version is much harder to obtain
That’s just fucking stupid. Why would he train his ass off for 6 months straight with an ANGEL, literally getting beaten to a near death state, JUST to be able to tap into a WEAKER, “incomplete” version of the form...?! Whilst said person (Goku!) previously already briefly tapped into the form’s full power,
(The silver haired version). It makes zero sense at all, and would truly be bad writing. You’re not going to use a weaker version of a form against a stronger enemy. Period. That’s not how Dragon Ball works. Think.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:14 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:30 pm

That’s just fucking stupid. Why would he train his ass off for 6 months straight with an ANGEL, literally getting beaten to a near death state, JUST to be able to tap into a WEAKER, “incomplete” version of the form...?! Whilst said person (Goku!) previously already briefly tapped into the form’s full power,
(The silver haired version). It makes zero sense at all, and would truly be bad writing. You’re not going to use a weaker version of a form against a stronger enemy. Period. That’s not how Dragon Ball works. Think.
People like you are annoying honestly no one can speculate without huge fanboys like you coming to attack them and don't come at me with your whole "ITS COMMON SENSE DID YOU NOT WATCH OR READ THE MANGA" yes I did but I saw everyone worrying and wanted to offer a solution to calm them down before the the chapter is officially released so don't go getting your panties in a bunch and if you wanna come at me with more stuff enter my dms I dare you

Kepiaschkz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kepiaschkz » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:38 am

(The silver haired version). It makes zero sense at all, and would truly be bad writing.

On the contrary, it makes perfect sense. The incomplete version is much easier to master than the full one. So it's common sense that Goku would FIRST manage to tap into omen at will before managing taping into the silver haired version as well. It's called progression.
Remember that Goku training also got interrupted because angels rules etc..
Nothing tell us Goku didn't need extra months worth of training with Angel to master Migate UI.

You’re not going to use a weaker version of a form against a stronger enemy. Period. That’s not how Dragon Ball works. Think.
And yet, right after the TOP, where Goku taped into the full UI, Goku best form was just SSBlue which is even dozens of times weaker than Omen and this during a full arc ( Broly).

It may be not how Dragon Ball worked until now, but now it is. And God bless that change of formula because there is no more boring kind of writing that sticking for years to a same formulaic outline.

To be honest, both versions of UI were waaaaay too over-powered to become right after his introduction a regular form.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:39 am

In DB Heroes, Goku trained with Grand Priest and only managed to control the UI Omen. It's a different continuity but maybe Shuiesha was discussing new ideas and came up with Goku training with an Angel to learn to transform into UI Omen at will then it appeared in both Heroes and the DBS manga.Toyotaro or Toriyama could've decided to have Goku train with an apprentice Angel and save him mastering UI with the Grand Priest or on his own for a later saga.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:49 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:40 am Well, it was bound to happen. Bandai has been advertising Migatte no Goku'i for two-plus years now, they're ready to move on to a new form.
I doubt they are and even then it is the manga so nothing is gonna get marketed anyway, thankfully. It has been 5 years and SSGSS is still the main mascot form for modern DB in fact this month's SSGSS Goku figure pulled more cases than it's usual average, UI Goku keeps hitting the upward curve too. June's 14,000yen+ Gigantic Series UI "Omen" sold it's reservations in a matter of days and another for July opened up soon thereafter. Simply no rush for anything.

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Zamasu55 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:54 pm

Skar wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:39 am In DB Heroes, Goku trained with Grand Priest and only managed to control the UI Omen. It's a different continuity but maybe Shuiesha was discussing new ideas and came up with Goku training with an Angel to learn to transform into UI Omen at will then it appeared in both Heroes and the DBS manga.Toyotaro or Toriyama could've decided to have Goku train with an apprentice Angel and save him mastering UI with the Grand Priest or on his own for a later saga.
Again with this thing? Goku never trained with the Daishinkan. He only recovered from his wounds and got a new outfit. That's it.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:12 pm

I think you have a point but also full UI is a form that even Gods who have been doing this for centuries struggle to control. It would make sense with that in mind that unlocking the silver haired form might take longer than 6 months, but really it could go either way! It'd be dope to see him just pop off on Moro with the gray form.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:43 pm

funrush wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:12 pm

I think you have a point but also full UI is a form that even Gods who have been doing this for centuries struggle to control. It would make sense with that in mind that unlocking the silver haired form might take longer than 6 months, but really it could go either way! It'd be dope to see him just pop off on Moro with the gray form.
That theory of yours could work if Goku didn’t unlock MUI in the 47 minutes of time that the ToP took place. (Far less, in fact!) if he can actually unlock that most powerful, complete state in much less than 47 minutes... Then you would think that training (battling, actually, to the brink of death as stated by Merus that that was the goal they were going for to unlock it as soon as possible), for 6 months straight in a special time chamber no less... Then he would be able to EASILY master it. Plus Moro is going to be (in all likelihood), even stronger than Jiren and Broly, so he (Goku!) will absolutely need Completed Ultra Instinct (Silver haired version) just to be able to compete against it. Moro is the next villain after Jiren and Broly, and has been eating whole entire planets for well over 2 months straight, becoming infinitely more powerful than what he was back then. On top of that, he has terrifyingly strong magic. If it is ever justified for Goku to be allowed to finally master Ultra Instinct, then this would be the perfect chance, scenario, and being.

Unfortunately, some people on this board are somehow unable to grasp that and are throwing tantrums at me after i’ve thrown one at them.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:53 pm

Kepiaschkz wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:38 am

(The silver haired version). It makes zero sense at all, and would truly be bad writing.

On the contrary, it makes perfect sense. The incomplete version is much easier to master than the full one. So it's common sense that Goku would FIRST manage to tap into omen at will before managing taping into the silver haired version as well. It's called progression.
Nothing tell us Goku didn't need extra months worth of training with Angel to master Migate UI.

You’re not going to use a weaker version of a form against a stronger enemy. Period. That’s not how Dragon Ball works. Think.
And yet, right after the TOP, where Goku taped into the full UI, Goku best form was just SSBlue which is even dozens of times weaker than Omen and this during a full arc ( Broly).

It may be not how Dragon Ball worked until now, but now it is. And God bless that change of formula because there is no more boring kind of writing that sticking for years to a same formulaic outline.

To be honest, both versions of UI were waaaaay too over-powered to become right after his introduction a regular form.
Thank you !!! that Godvegeta guy is annoying

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:43 pm

Noitsnothim wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:53 pm
Kepiaschkz wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:38 am

Thank you !!! that Godvegeta guy is annoying
You seriously need to drop down this attitude right now. If anyone is objectively annoying here now, it is YOU!

I attacked you on what you said. You attacked me on my character. That is much worse!

That’s all i’m going to say.

Kepiaschkz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kepiaschkz » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:55 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:43 pm
That theory of yours could work if Goku didn’t unlock MUI in the 47 minutes of time that the ToP took place. (Far less, in fact!) if he can actually unlock that most powerful, complete state in much less than 47 minutes... Then you would think that training (battling, actually, to the brink of death as stated by Merus that that was the goal they were going for to unlock it as soon as possible), for 6 months straight in a special time chamber no less... Then he would be able to EASILY master it. Plus Moro is going to be (in all likelihood), even stronger than Jiren and Broly, so he (Goku!) will absolutely need Completed Ultra Instinct (Silver haired version) just to be able to compete against it. Moro is the next villain after Jiren and Broly, and has been eating whole entire planets for well over 2 months straight, becoming infinitely more powerful than what he was back then. On top of that, he has terrifyingly strong magic. If it is ever justified for Goku to be allowed to finally master Ultra Instinct, then this would be the perfect chance, scenario, and being.

Unfortunately, some people on this board are somehow unable to grasp that and are throwing tantrums at me after i’ve thrown one at them.
I have nothing against you. I just think you're wrong on this particular subject.

That said, during the 47 minutes of the Top, the stakes were far higher IMO. The full universe with its Dragon Balls, including the otherworld was going to get erased. So no possibility of getting resurected, him, his friends and his family, or to live in the afterlife. The pressure on Goku shoulders where more intense.
There was no guarantees at all the winner will use his wish to restore the erased universes and indeed it was revealed it wasn't in Jiren intentions to do so.

Contrary to Zeno, Moro was just a distant slow burning threat.

I think just getting killed in training with an angel is a far less intimidating threat in Goku's perspective. Because he consents to do so, it was his idea in the first place. And he certainly doesn't care much about his own death anymore. He died 2 times and experienced near death countless of times.
It was still the best solution he could come up with to recreate the conditions of stress he endured in the ToP but insufficient nonetheless.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:57 pm

Kepiaschkz wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:55 pm
GodVegetto91 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:43 pm

I have nothing against you. I just think you're wrong on this particular subject.

That said, during the 47 minutes of the Top, the stakes were far higher IMO. The full universe with its Dragon Balls, including the otherworld was going to get erased. So no possibility of getting resurected, him, his friends and his family, or to live in the afterlife. The pressure on Goku shoulders where more intense.
There was no guarantees at all the winner will use his wish to restore the erased universes and indeed it was revealed it wasn't in Jiren intentions to do so.

Contrary to Zeno, Moro was just a distant slow burning threat.

I think just getting killed in training with an angel is a far less intimidating threat in Goku's perspective. Because he consents to do so, it was his idea in the first place. And he certainly doesn't care much about his own death anymore. He died 2 times and experienced near death countless of times.
It was still the best solution he could come up with to recreate the conditions of stress he endured in the ToP but insufficient nonetheless.
You’re right that the stakes were higher in the ToP, I’m not denying that. But you can’t deny that the training with Merus wasn’t intense either. Merus and Goku both agreed at the beginning of their training that Merus should attack Goku with the intent to kill. And even though it may not have 100% been like that, the “intensity” of their “sparring matches” were definitely upped a great deal. You could even see Goku getting beaten to a pulp and been thrown to the ground totally beaten. That never happened to Goku while sparring with Vegeta or even Whis. And if we imagine this level of intensity for 6 months! Straight, in a time chamber with a different atmosphere no less, then I would find Goku fully mastering UI not far fetched at all. And if we combine that with the knowledge that Moro would very likely be even stronger than Jiren and Broly at this point, then him fully mastering UI, seems like a pretty valid possibility. You need to be able to see the bigger picture here afterall.

6 months is a LONG time afterall..

(In comparison to less than 47 minutes that is).
Last edited by GodVegetto91 on Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:58 pm

These developments cited in the spoilers sound uninspired and vacuous, if you want my honest opinion. So Goku is predictably set up to dazzle everyone with his amazing progress, compelling them to draw the conclusion that he's in yet another dimension of power. Really? At this point it sounds like a broken record being retreaded over and over again. We already know that he's so very, very, very "special" compared to everyone else. It's not like he wasn't already special when he was crutching on situationally convenient zenkais and SSJ1 back in the Freeza arc.

My apologies if this sounds overly complaintive. I just find the formula here to be quite stale and wish there was at least some kind of silver lining. It could be anything from the humans or at least Krillin closing in on his base form, maybe through training with his genetically enhanced wife, Piccolo attempting the Mafuba which is able to work in subduing Saganbo, or anything that can provide a wrinkle to this otherwise decrepit model of a narrative set-up. I suppose the humans being allowed to participate and manage some victories through ingenuit would qualify. Maybe the "lining" I'm thinking of would carry some hopeful permanency to itself.

The big shake-up this time is probably intended to be Vegeta's tardiness and how that could play into the development of the fight against Moro.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:49 pm

Lionel wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:58 pm These developments cited in the spoilers sound uninspired and vacuous, if you want my honest opinion. So Goku is predictably set up to dazzle everyone with his amazing progress, compelling them to draw the conclusion that he's in yet another dimension of power. Really? At this point it sounds like a broken record being retreaded over and over again. We already know that he's so very, very, very "special" compared to everyone else. It's not like he wasn't already special when he was crutching on situationally convenient zenkais and SSJ1 back in the Freeza arc.

My apologies if this sounds overly complaintive. I just find the formula here to be quite stale and wish there was at least some kind of silver lining. It could be anything from the humans or at least Krillin closing in on his base form, maybe through training with his genetically enhanced wife, Piccolo attempting the Mafuba which is able to work in subduing Saganbo, or anything that can provide a wrinkle to this otherwise decrepit model of a narrative set-up. I suppose the humans being allowed to participate and manage some victories through ingenuit would qualify. Maybe the "lining" I'm thinking of would carry some hopeful permanency to itself.

The big shake-up this time is probably intended to be Vegeta's tardiness and how that could play into the development of the fight against Moro.
You're absolutely right and it is boring to see the same plot elements/tropes played out time and time again. Goku's character is painted into a corner at this point. No one knows how to do anything interesting with him anymore.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:04 pm

I fail to see how "Kuririn manages to get almost as strong as Goku's weakest form" is more interesting than what we're getting. Sounds more like prioritizing a preferred character over the story.

Like, gaining control over UI isn't super new or exciting, but it's a logical progression for Goku that makes sense with the story. That is leagues better than throwing some tiny bone to secondary characters.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:43 pm

Just saw a bit of that Reincarnated as Yamcha manga by Dragon Garow Lee. He's a much better artist than that Toyotaro. They should have got him instead.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:53 pm

I think the story encouraged an expectational hope in its readers when it decided to induct the humans for the fighting. It took things a step further by having its characters internally propose the idea of training. Knowing how Dragon Ball has traditionally operated, you expect earnest training to beget something fruitful, something that progresses the character beyond their status from the previous condition. Growing powerful enough to match or surpass base Goku wouldn't have amounted to much on a broader strategic level but it could have served as a sub-narrative seedling, a hope for possibly something more to come later down the road if the character was now making some kind of tangible inroad after decades of functional passivity. We know it happened with #17 and with an out of nowhere newcomer like Tagoma, regardless if the latter's growth was self-contained to just one arc.

As the readers we knew it was only a matter of time before Goku built up and perfected his new form. It progresses the story but it does nothing to variegate the dynamics. Right now the most remarkable shake-up has been the continued unpredictable presence of Freeza looming on the horizon and semi-normalising the cyborgs' participation in fights. It remains to be seen if those new conditions will provide anything more that's substantial. The humans could have that opportunity if there was the desire for it.

We know Toriyama and Toyotaro seem interested enough to at least boot the humans back into the spotlight for a side act after not having any meaningful on-screen fights for them against semi-noteworthy characters since the Freeza arc. I mean do they just want to continue with the half measures and hope that's enough to keep fans of those characters satisfied? Yamcha and Chaozu actually having dignified fights that result in victories was a great step in the right direction. I myself would like to believe that some kind of long-term development could arise from this and that it's not just a one-hit wonder. I don't think that's something unreasonable to hope for.

Kagari: I have to agree. Goku has not really been an engaging character for me since probably Namek, honestly. I have more interest in Gohan even though his famed potential and characterisation has been regressive since the Buu arc and only recently was rebuilt to some dignified, though not fully comparable, imitation of what it once was. I suppose the silver lining there is that he seems more choreographically competent in fights. I know many fans often criticised his fights for being lacklustre because of their one-sidedness. Thankfully these recent ones have shown more finesse and aptitude from Gohan.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:09 am

Looks like we're getting Omen again:

As usual, I'll withhold my thoughts until the chapter releases in full.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:46 am

The Undying wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:09 am Looks like we're getting Omen again:

As usual, I'll withhold my thoughts until the chapter releases in full.
It seems like these are the last 2 pages, which means we won't get Vegeta until June at the earliest. If that's the case, the arc may not end until December.