"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by The Undying » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:49 pm

I'm somewhat disappointed that this is being delayed a day in the west. I see no reason not to release the time machine on the same day as Japan instead of the day that Animal Crossing comes out. It's only a 24 hour difference, so it's not like there's some super strong justification for doing this.

It's not a big deal though. I'll take what I can get, but it's just going to be a boring Thursday thanks to the covid quarantine.

Super excited for the DLC. I've always been curious about Goku and Vegeta's training between Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F', and it looks like these episodes will answer that nagging question.
Formerly Marlowe89.

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:49 pm

The Undying wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:49 pm I'm somewhat disappointed that this is being delayed a day in the west. I see no reason not to release the time machine on the same day as Japan instead of the day that Animal Crossing comes out. It's only a 24 hour difference, so it's not like there's some super strong justification for doing this.

It's not a big deal though. I'll take what I can get, but it's just going to be a boring Thursday thanks to the covid quarantine.

Super excited for the DLC. I've always been curious about Goku and Vegeta's training between Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F', and it looks like these episodes will answer that nagging question.
I wish it was coming at the same time as well, but we'll manage. :D On another note, I noticed a couple YouTubers voicing their dismay with the late release of this DLC and saw quite a few negative comments about the game. I didn't realize so many people were disappointed with the game. I for one love the game. This literally the first action-adventure dragonball game on a major console where we get to explore the world. I'm surprised people just don't have fun flying around. I'm glad the game sold well and I'll keep looking forward to the DLCs. I'm getting a ton of enjoyment from this game.
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:18 pm

dualist wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:49 pm On another note, I noticed a couple YouTubers voicing their dismay with the late release of this DLC and saw quite a few negative comments about the game. I didn't realize so many people were disappointed with the game. I for one love the game.
On YouTube, I've noticed an abundance of comments mostly lamenting the lack of anime-only segments during main story cutscenes - despite the fact that said cutscenes almost always use the original manga as a reference point, beat-for-beat (right down to the camera sequences) despite whatever Bandai Namco might advertise. Just a cursory look at the ending shot at Kami's Lookout shows they were more focused on the manga rather than the anime during development.

Then again, I don't take the vast majority of YouTubers seriously.

As a game, Kakarot is far from perfect, but it's good. As a DBZ game, it's one of the best ever made. I'm willing to die on this hill.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:44 pm

I had a blast with this game and still do, and while after finishing it things do slow down, fighting villanous enemies or crappy little bots, leveling up, flying around and messing with the soul emblems have kept me entertained more than I expected to. I also discovered that characters have different moves depending on their transformation. Base Gohan has a certain combo, SS Gohan another one, SS2 too and Ultimate Gohan has a particular combo as well.

I've been lately immersed in the Soul Emblems world, increasing the friendship bars that gives you rewards such as gifts for the community board and the cards, you have to look who to give the gifts considering what rewards you need or want. The Time Machine will help me get the soul emblems I'm missing. Too bad I'm not getting more gifts that increase the cap of certain communities.

One thing I would've loved would've been that instead of fighting many many many Appules or mechas or Babidi's goons, we fight Slug and his minions, Turles and his crew, Cooler's Kikosentai. Even without their bosses, DBZ movies has plenty of henchmen, except for Broly, Janemba and Hirudegan, they all had a group of goons that could've been in the game just for more variety of enemies.

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:53 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:44 pm I had a blast with this game and still do, and while after finishing it things do slow down, fighting villanous enemies or crappy little bots, leveling up, flying around and messing with the soul emblems have kept me entertained more than I expected to. I also discovered that characters have different moves depending on their transformation. Base Gohan has a certain combo, SS Gohan another one, SS2 too and Ultimate Gohan has a particular combo as well.

I've been lately immersed in the Soul Emblems world, increasing the friendship bars that gives you rewards such as gifts for the community board and the cards, you have to look who to give the gifts considering what rewards you need or want. The Time Machine will help me get the soul emblems I'm missing. Too bad I'm not getting more gifts that increase the cap of certain communities.

One thing I would've loved would've been that instead of fighting many many many Appules or mechas or Babidi's goons, we fight Slug and his minions, Turles and his crew, Cooler's Kikosentai. Even without their bosses, DBZ movies has plenty of henchmen, except for Broly, Janemba and Hirudegan, they all had a group of goons that could've been in the game just for more variety of enemies.
I would have loved for them to include the DBZ movies and their henchman. It would've been a nice revisit back to the DBZ movie era since the game is focused on Z. For this game specifically, I would prefer DBZ movie content over Super content, but I'd be happy with either.
As a game, Kakarot is far from perfect, but it's good. As a DBZ game, it's one of the best ever made. I'm willing to die on this hill.
Glad to see you both are enjoying the game as much as I am. I've often likened flying around in this game to swinging around in Spiderman. It's just fun to immerse yourself in the DB world.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:34 pm

dualist wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:53 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:44 pm I had a blast with this game and still do, and while after finishing it things do slow down, fighting villanous enemies or crappy little bots, leveling up, flying around and messing with the soul emblems have kept me entertained more than I expected to. I also discovered that characters have different moves depending on their transformation. Base Gohan has a certain combo, SS Gohan another one, SS2 too and Ultimate Gohan has a particular combo as well.

I would have loved for them to include the DBZ movies and their henchman. It would've been a nice revisit back to the DBZ movie era since the game is focused on Z. For this game specifically, I would prefer DBZ movie content over Super content, but I'd be happy with either.
Glad to see you both are enjoying the game as much as I am. I've often likened flying around in this game to swinging around in Spiderman. It's just fun to immerse yourself in the DB world.
The problem is that many people created expectations or expected things that were never promised.

It would be cool to have movie villains in the game, but the lack of them doesn't change anything about the quality of the game. I've seen people complain that it was a shame that they didn't include the Other World tournament (as if it were an obligation or as if Bandai had promoted filler arcs in the game).

I've also seen other people complaining about the game because they had nothing else to do with it, because they finished the story in 3 days or one week (again, as if the fault for ending such a big game quickly was Bandai's) .

The game has several problems, but at least for me it is definitely one of the best DB games. Some criticisms don't really make sense

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:19 pm

The Undying wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:49 pm I'm somewhat disappointed that this is being delayed a day in the west. I see no reason not to release the time machine on the same day as Japan instead of the day that Animal Crossing comes out. It's only a 24 hour difference, so it's not like there's some super strong justification for doing this.

Welcome to Japan, where the video game companies could give a shit less about the worldwide audience because Japan is clearly the only country for them to worry about! :thumbup:

Also, try telling that to the Kingdom Hearts fandom, who've had to deal with Square Enix consistently delaying the international releases of Kingdom Hearts games since 2002, never released the console games on more than 1 system for no reason before 2019, unable release the Final Mix versions of 1, 2, & BBS internationally because of Sony's policies as a result, & couldn't bother releasing KH3 internationally the same day as Japan, with said game having absolutely NO reason to be delayed internationally 5 days after the Japanese release considering there were no major content updates in the lag time. As well as barely any fix patches being released to fix problems with the past games as they were released on PS4 & Xbox One.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:50 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:34 pm
dualist wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:53 pm

The problem is that many people created expectations or expected things that were never promised.

It would be cool to have movie villains in the game, but the lack of them doesn't change anything about the quality of the game. I've seen people complain that it was a shame that they didn't include the Other World tournament (as if it were an obligation or as if Bandai had promoted filler arcs in the game).

I've also seen other people complaining about the game because they had nothing else to do with it, because they finished the story in 3 days or one week (again, as if the fault for ending such a big game quickly was Bandai's) .

The game has several problems, but at least for me it is definitely one of the best DB games. Some criticisms don't really make sense
Agree with you 100% on this. People definitely set unrealistic expectations. And true, the game has its flaws fa sho, but I've played so many games with some of similar content that folks are complaining about that don't get the same critique. The one thing I am disappointed in is that I'm hearing this new DLC is not necessarily a Game + mode and the villains don't get any stronger. I hope they can fix that somehow.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:44 pm

Update downloaded. I'll report on it later.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:58 pm

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:40 pm

Like it was already said, the time machine takes you back in time but with your current level, so I'm LVL106 vs everybody. It's "in-universe" and easier to do the substories because you one-shot everybody. But if you are planning on fighting Freeza or Cell again, then it'll be probably quick and boring.

Playing as Vegito vs Buuhan, though is fun. You are LVL 75 like Vegito (Buuhan is 74), and the fight can be enjoyed greatly.

SaiyanKingMike

Post by SaiyanKingMike » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:21 am

I hope with the DLC they will increase the level cap. Most of my characters are at 250. Interesting to see in the post above of the DLC of Goku and Vegeta being transformed during their fights with Raditz and Dodoria, since currently when I was use the time machine to fight them it will not let me use any transformations the characters have not received yet.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:42 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:58 pm Image
This screenshot already has a special place in my heart specifically because it gives a whole new meaning to the word "overkill".

DLC looks good. I'm excited!
Formerly Marlowe89.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:17 am

The Undying wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:42 amThis screenshot already has a special place in my heart specifically because it gives a whole new meaning to the word "overkill".
The energy Goku and Vegeta generate by just powering up those blasts will be enough to kill poor Raditz and Dodoria before the blasts even reach them. What makes them even better is the look on Raditz's face, it's the definition of "what did I get myself into?"

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:42 pm

Right now, background music and songs from the anime are placed in a logical way in the story (cutscenes and gameplay alike), but that makes me wonder about the upcoming music pack: will they place them in the story as well?

Because if it's just to play them when we want "like a radio" when flying around, it's not that awesome, we can do it easily on our own with an external device.
If it's about selecting presets ourselves for which areas or circumstances (for example "normal fights" or "South-East Mountain Area exploration") put the music on, that's a little more interesting.
But the best would be if it's automatically placed throughout the story...

After all, Unmei no Hi playing during Gohan's Super Saiyan 2 transformation or We Gotta Power playing somewhere in the Boo arc seem logical, right? I hope they do that and strategically place them as replacement tracks in specific circumstances for those who have the pack, while the rest of players keep the music as it is right now.

Plus, it would suddenly push players to use the Time Machine or start a new save file to play through the story again just to discover the story mode in an "enhanced version" sountrack-wise, with a richer set of tracks dipping even more into nostalgia, it would boost the replay value for sure!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:31 pm

I'm playing the game again for the first time in a while to just relax after work (I've been working a week straight up until now with all the craziness going on right now, oof), and the time machine allowed me to go back and S Rank all the story bits I didn't the first time around. It was disgustingly easy too, given how it doesn't scale and all. :lol: That's the only use it has for me thus far really though, since I'd already gotten all of the Sub-Stories done the first time around.

So now I'm messing around with other stuff, which lead to an interesting discovery at least to me. Either I'm having a really awesome glitch, or they changed it at some point to where you don't de-transform if you run out of energy. If it's not a glitch, when did that change happen?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:20 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:31 pm I'm playing the game again for the first time in a while to just relax after work (I've been working a week straight up until now with all the craziness going on right now, oof), and the time machine allowed me to go back and S Rank all the story bits I didn't the first time around. It was disgustingly easy too, given how it doesn't scale and all. :lol: That's the only use it has for me thus far really though, since I'd already gotten all of the Sub-Stories done the first time around.

So now I'm messing around with other stuff, which lead to an interesting discovery at least to me. Either I'm having a really awesome glitch, or they changed it at some point to where you don't de-transform if you run out of energy. If it's not a glitch, when did that change happen?
I havent played in about a month, but popped the game in yesterday to test out the time machine to get the last side mission i missed. But I noticed that too! I was at 0 in SS3 for pretty long as I got caught in a beam. thought it was just a new passive ability from the 21's training, but turns out it doesnt seem that's the case.

But in other news I finally got the platinum for the game! It was fun. Hopefully the DLC adds more. Now back to Mystery Dungeon and Animal Crossing. (5 days till Persona 5 the Royal too :) )

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:57 am

Still haven't bought the game because I think it is overpriced and waiting for the drop, but I have noticed that they are selling Season Pass as well? Looks like there will be even more DLC coming to the game?
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

HulkTySSJ4

Post by HulkTySSJ4 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:07 am

Yep. Waiting to get this game when it goes to $40 or less.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:04 am

I just got through beating the game! It was fun. I had a good relaxing time with it. Nothing really stressed me out like a lot of Dragonball Z games. Lol but kakarot, Budokai 3 for ps2, & Hyper demensions for the snes are among my favorites! Xenoverse is alright too. Haha It actually shocked me that the Gunmen
I did a crap ton of the sub missions but after beating the game it unlocked a lot more and with doom eternal looking me in the face, I didn't feel like going and looking for nuts and bolts or meat products. Lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!