Would Gohan have chosen Cell for the Tournament of Power?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Would Gohan have chosen Cell for the Tournament of Power?

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:17 am

Frieza is Goku's archrival, which got him a place on the Tournament of Power.

But if Gohan had a choice, would he have brought Cell back for it? Cell sounds like someone who could have been a worthy ally.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: Would Gohan have chosen Cell for the Tournament of Power?

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:43 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:17 am Frieza is Goku's archrival, which got him a place on the Tournament of Power.

But if Gohan had a choice, would he have brought Cell back for it? Cell sounds like someone who could have been a worthy ally.
Cell: And in exchange for helping you protect our universe...I want the dragonballs to bring me back to life!

Gohan: What?!

Goku: Ok.

Gohan: WWWHHHHHHAAAAAAAAA-
Gohan is smart enough to figure out that any villain who is gonna stick their neck out for anyone other than themselves and has been dead, will want to be resurrected, so no Gohan would not.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:22 pm

Gohan may have moments of ego induced stupidity, but he isn't nearly as reckless as his father. He's a kind hearted sap so he would probably not call on Cell. Instead I think he'd try to sneak in Gotenks and bypass the team limit. I also think he'd ask the Kais for input on who from their galaxies would deserve a spot in such a tournament.

Basically I want to believe that Gohan wouldn't be an idiot about things. Also that he'd make everyone wear Kamen Rider inspired outfits.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:36 am

Nope. Gohan isn't reckless and doesn't have a toxic mancrush on Cell the way Goku did Freeza. The most interesting angle I can think of is the idea that Cell would be angry at Gohan's loss of power and actively invested in seeing him overtake Goku and Vegeta again. Because no way would the ultimate lifeform lose to the third-best.

Funnily enough, the story mode for FighterZ gave us a good indication of how a modern Gohan-Cell dynamic would be written. While Goku and Freeza's teamup scene has their usual playful banter, Gohan and Cell's starts off with Cell being like "after this is over, I'm going to murder everyone you love." There's no love lost between those two.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:29 pm

Hell. No.

Cell has no concept of self preservation. He tried to blow himself up. Frieza at least cares about himself. Gohan would probably ask Yamcha. The guy works well with Krillin, Roshi, Piccolo, and Tien, and has been through a lot with everyone.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:19 pm

Agree with the others' reasoning. Gohan doesn't have the same twisted priorities or eagerness to compromise like Goku when it comes to enemies. While he doesn't like shedding blood, at the same time he should understand the enormous glaring liability that Cell presents with getting such a monster involved in the conflict.

I suspect Gohan would sooner scooch around Vegeta's wishes and insist Gotenks register or ask Yamcha than allow Cell to do so.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:55 am

Lionel wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:19 pm Agree with the others' reasoning. Gohan doesn't have the same twisted priorities or eagerness to compromise like Goku when it comes to enemies. While he doesn't like shedding blood, at the same time he should understand the enormous glaring liability that Cell presents with getting such a monster involved in the conflict.

I suspect Gohan would sooner scooch around Vegeta's wishes and insist Gotenks register or ask Yamcha than allow Cell to do so.
Well said.

Yamcha, Chiaotzu, or Goten/Trunks make the most sense. They have all fought with the Z fighters in the past. Gohan's group having a sixth person sticking with them would make the team much stronger even. Krillin might have never gotten separated and left an opening for Frost. Roshi definitely could have benefited from having Yamcha there distracting people with his spirit ball.

If Yamcha or Chiaotzu got separated, they're at least strong enough to eliminate some fodder.