DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:37 pm

Scsigs wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:56 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:30 pm Somewhat related, there's a new three part video called "Behind the Scenes of DBZA"

Part one:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdP5nizdEgU

Parts 2 and 3 are coming later.
Part 2: https://youtu.be/vKuoYCrONzM
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijrlwRDNa8I

I wish there was a part 4 that talked just about the movies, and specials. Lani and Kaiser talked about S2-S3 they were finding the voice of the characters outside of community jokes, but I feel like that happened as early on as (Christmas) Tree of Might Abridged, where they didn't use their old jokes as much(Christmas Ghost Nappa anybody) and created its own separate continuity from the abridged series.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:44 pm

Hearing Kaiser & Lani talk about the scrapped ideas for Season 4 that they were thinking of doing in the Kakarot playthrough makes me even MORE sad that it's not a thing. Videl & Gohan being different types of superheroes?
Shit sounds like a good mix between the styles in seasons 2 & 3.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:40 pm

LittleKuriboh as Frieza is A+++ casting.

It's funny, because the voice of Frieza that plays in my head winds up being a weird mishmash of Ayers and LK's :P
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:37 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:40 pm LittleKuriboh as Frieza is A+++ casting.

It's funny, because the voice of Frieza that plays in my head winds up being a weird mishmash of Ayers and LK's :P
They're almost the same exact tone, so that makes sense.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:29 pm

Who actually came first and potentially inspired the other, anyways?

Looking at official dates, I would think LittleKuriboh got to Freeza first, but I could be entirely misreading the facts. It could even be that they were completely separate but coincidentally similar in delivery.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:38 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:29 pm Who actually came first and potentially inspired the other, anyways?

Looking at official dates, I would think LittleKuriboh got to Freeza first, but I could be entirely misreading the facts. It could even be that they were completely separate but coincidentally similar in delivery.
Little Kuriboh was first cast as Frieza in 2009, then Ayers a year later. And Ayers' casting was very last minute, as Linda Young was still Frieza in episode 1 of Kai.

But I'd say both their takes are inspired by Nakao, first and foremost. It just helps that they have similar voices.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:59 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:29 pm Who actually came first and potentially inspired the other, anyways?

The first official work that LK as Freeza appeared in was the Bardock dub, which was released in late 2009. In other words, his take on Freeza predated Chris Ayres’ version.

dbfanmanga

Post by dbfanmanga » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:09 am

This stopped in cell saga? I am missing the videos?

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:13 pm

Unabridged is out...didn't like it. I really wanted to try but it really feels mediocre and uninteresting. Zito was probably the only bit I had any interest in and had to rewatch some parts several times because I kept getting bored and I wanted to see if I missed anything. Hopefully episode 2 really fixes things or this is gonna be Demo Reel 2.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:08 pm

Ok I unsubscribed. I really tried to keep an open mind and didn't want to go into some "Waaah give me Abridged and Ghost Nappa funnies!" mindset; but this new content is seriously...lame...

"30 something year old dudes talk about media for over an hour" shows are already a dime a dozen online, and stuff like " The Making of DBZA" content is going to dry up fast." It's like they think they can hold an audience on nothing but "We're TeamFourStar! We made Dragonball Z Abridged!"

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:14 pm

Ringworm128 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:08 pm Ok I unsubscribed. I really tried to keep an open mind and didn't want to go into some "Waaah give me Abridged and Ghost Nappa funnies!" mindset; but this new content is seriously...lame...

"30 something year old dudes talk about media for over an hour" shows are already a dime a dozen online, and stuff like " The Making of DBZA" content is going to dry up fast." It's like they think they can hold an audience on nothing but "We're TeamFourStar! We made Dragonball Z Abridged!"
You know they're already not trying to bank on their already-found success, right? They've had other content in production for the last few years. Like, they understand that they don't deserve anyone's views or subs & get if no one's gonna wanna stick around. At this point, you're either sticking around for their personalities & willing to judge the new stuff they're producing, or you were just a fan of DBZA & don't care much about the people behind it, especially when they're not producing the specific content you like from them.

This was an extremely bad take. You wanna know why they're producing reviews & podcasts? Mostly because they have an audience that loves them as people, they can, they have been for a while, it's mostly easy, & YouTube's algorithms require some kind of content on a regular basis. If you don't like what they're doing, ok, but don't say they're doing things for reasons they're not. They could easily just cash in on DBZA, but they're not going to. They did 3 seasons, 7 movies, & 4 specials adapted into a comedic parody series over 10 years, but they're also people who're creatives & wanna express their creativity elsewhere, especially as they have a company to maintain with monetizable content, & they're going to do so.

Brikikoz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brikikoz » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:01 pm

Someday, some years in the future, someone will figure out a way to do a Dragonball Multiverse abridged. Not the comic, a genuine multiverse of the various anime timelines that happen post Cell.

Buu, Super, GT, and whatever the best game is at the time. On their own, the various stories are weak, but mixed into a multiverse pot, there's potential there.

Something like Trunks not making it back home but ending up seeing the various potential timelines.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/c055a191cc2 ... 1_500.gifv

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:11 pm

the audience seems to have a positive response to the pilot on youtube and facebook, and they (kaiser I think?) said it's the worst episode they filmed.

I also saw Fist Master episode 2 and I personally like it, also there is another series on 3d animation they showed on twitch that has potential and they have the gaming channel as well.

I don't know how much the the coronavirus is going to affect their content but I personally like what I seen and I think the people unsubscribing/not liking the new shows are a minority or at last not as many as some people think.

zDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by zDBZ » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:01 pm

I enjoyed the two Unabridged episodes previewed on the Livestream well enough - I'm game to keep tuning in.

Watching the Kakarot LP, I'd really like to see the team do an unscripted talk on the Buu saga - a long-form discussion on what they think of it, the ideas they tossed around for it, and/or how/if they think it could be improved.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:08 am

zDBZ wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:01 pm I enjoyed the two Unabridged episodes previewed on the Livestream well enough - I'm game to keep tuning in.
I saw the one on YouTube. I enjoyed it, and I'm cautiously optimistic, but I don't know if it's necessarily my thing... I'll have to see how it gets along with the future episodes.
zDBZ wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:01 pm Watching the Kakarot LP, I'd really like to see the team do an unscripted talk on the Buu saga - a long-form discussion on what they think of it, the ideas they tossed around for it, and/or how/if they think it could be improved.
I'd LOVE that.
I think it'd help give the fans some closure on it, too. :)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:17 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:08 am
zDBZ wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:01 pm I enjoyed the two Unabridged episodes previewed on the Livestream well enough - I'm game to keep tuning in.
I saw the one on YouTube. I enjoyed it, and I'm cautiously optimistic, but I don't know if it's necessarily my thing... I'll have to see how it gets along with the future episodes.
zDBZ wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:01 pm Watching the Kakarot LP, I'd really like to see the team do an unscripted talk on the Buu saga - a long-form discussion on what they think of it, the ideas they tossed around for it, and/or how/if they think it could be improved.
I'd LOVE that.
I think it'd help give the fans some closure on it, too. :)
I would also be in favor of an unscripted series on Buu.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:09 pm

DragonShortZ Episode 2.5: Bearly There
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oWZrh__YTU

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:32 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:09 pm DragonShortZ Episode 2.5: Bearly There
So... Goku is not the only one who has eaten bear meat in his life...

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:45 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:32 pm
FoolsGil wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:09 pm DragonShortZ Episode 2.5: Bearly There
So... Goku is not the only one who has eaten bear meat in his life...
You know when I got to the punch line I did google bear cruise...I was that old when I learned that was a thing. :D

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:31 am

I'm almost 2 months late on the news of DBZA ending, but here's my thoughts anyway. I understand why. Apart from the fact that it'll take years to make, apart from the fact that it's something they've already been doing for over a decade, they've also got to constantly fight with the right holders. With that said, if Toriyama can find his way back to the franchise, then I have no doubt that TFS will find their way back to DBZA. I think after a well deserved break and (unfortunately) the loss of subscribers, we'll eventually get season 4.
Majin Buu wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:41 amI feel that it only further feeds into the conventional opinion that the Buu arc sucks, isn't worth your time, and that the series should have ended with the Cell arc.
Nothing could be further from the truth. The Buu arc is just as good as any arc in the original manga. It has just as many great moments, just as many epic fights, and just as much character development. I will never understand how any fan can look at Buu and say it's not worth our time, much less DB being better without it. It brought so much to the table that ending with Cell would've been a massive disappointment.