Interesting or funny pictures thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Re: Interesting or funny pictures thread

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:20 pm

Kanassa wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:00 pm
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:07 pm
Man, I dunno how to tell you this but Trunks was already a Mary Sue. A very well executed one with loads of personality and interesting characterization but still a Mary Sue.
His entire character is being a failure who constantly gets his ass kicked and is ultimately pointless in the story he was made for. He is, by far, one of the most non-sue characters in Dragon Ball and Super only continues this with his big moment literally being the reason his entire missions fails and gives the villain the win.
That's still a Mary Sue. Many Mary Sues are written to be tragic characters who watch everything they love be destroyed. Many don't even survive the climax of their stories. Heck, if you check most definitions you won't find anything about succeeding or winning. According to them a Mary Sue is just a character who is unrealistically cool, lacks meaningful flaws, and is thrust into the spotlight of the story.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:42 pm

Lets be Galaxy Brian and say Mary Sue is a sexist nebulous concept to put down any character the acusee doesnt like.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:42 pm

Well, the sexist connotation is only a very recent thing as far as I'm aware, and I'm not sure it really applies when you use it on a masculine character. The proper term for that scenario is "gary stu". Assuming both are used correctly, the idea of a poorly-designed overwritten hero character that is good at everything and liked by everyone without any real need for change or feeling of challenge to the ordeal isn't inherently a bad thing to criticize. I don't think Trunks would actually fit the bill, someone like Sasuke Uchiha might better, but there has to be some shorthand for this mistake in storytelling.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:58 pm

Look I love you Shaddy but no it isnt. Its most definitely not a recent thing.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:09 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:42 pm Lets be Galaxy Brian and say Mary Sue is a sexist nebulous concept to put down any character the acusee doesnt like.
But I like Trunks :(
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:17 pm

Now that is a more interesting take. Not many admit that.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:42 am

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:20 pm
Kanassa wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:00 pm
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:07 pm
Man, I dunno how to tell you this but Trunks was already a Mary Sue. A very well executed one with loads of personality and interesting characterization but still a Mary Sue.
His entire character is being a failure who constantly gets his ass kicked and is ultimately pointless in the story he was made for. He is, by far, one of the most non-sue characters in Dragon Ball and Super only continues this with his big moment literally being the reason his entire missions fails and gives the villain the win.
That's still a Mary Sue. Many Mary Sues are written to be tragic characters who watch everything they love be destroyed. Many don't even survive the climax of their stories. Heck, if you check most definitions you won't find anything about succeeding or winning. According to them a Mary Sue is just a character who is unrealistically cool, lacks meaningful flaws, and is thrust into the spotlight of the story.
Not really, sue's are written to have the setting bend to put them on a pedestal of perfection, lacking meaningful consequences for actions and their only downfall is in ways that completely deny them agency or responsibility. And even by your own definition, Trunks doesn't count, he's not unrealistically cool, is mostly used as a useless fuckup and is utterly meaningless to the story he's into the point you could remove him from the plot and very little would need to change. The most wanking he ever gets is being Vegeta's son and that's only used to have Vegeta complain about what a disappointment Trunks is for most of the arc.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:44 pm

It's interesting to note that this is actually GT Gogeta, prior to becoming Time Patroller/stronger. Whoever did this either forgot to color Gogeta's pants as black or he's a big fan of the character. :P

We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:54 pm

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:39 pm

By Tovio Rogers
@TovioR

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:21 pm

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:10 pm

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:46 pm

ShaggyBlanco
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaggyBlanco » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:56 am

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:09 pm

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:50 am

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:16 am

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:35 am

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:55 am

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:12 am

"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta