The End of the Blue Bricks?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Witty User Name
Banned

The End of the Blue Bricks?

Post by Witty User Name » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:17 am

So, I was thinking that after I read the entire portion of DB from the Kanzenban that's still on-release in my country (currently on the 6th volume), I would pick up the Blue Bricks to watch the anime adaptation of it...

only to find out that Amazon is in shortage of those releases.

Seriously, check out Bricks #2 and #5. They are not being directly sold by Amazon.com., but by second-hand sellers.

Is this the end of the Blue Bricks era, or is this not something worth bothering with?
Last edited by Witty User Name on Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The End of the Blue Bricks?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:23 am

Hopefully they upgrade to Blue Ray for original Dragon Ball or something. I'm tired of the 90 million rereleases of DBZ especially since Funimation keeps using the "watch Dragon Ball Z the way it was meant to be seen!!!" bit over and over and over....and over.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:41 am

It's easily possible that COVID-19 meant that Funi decided to not prioritize the production of one of their low-sellers, even if it is in the Dragon Ball family.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:48 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:41 am It's easily possible that COVID-19 meant that Funi decided to not prioritize the production of one of their low-sellers, even if it is in the Dragon Ball family.
They're all out of stock now. You could be right, but if Spain was going to be "the first" country to release DB on Blu-Ray, hopefully it means Funimation is next, and these are being put aside for the time being.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:16 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:48 am
KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:41 am It's easily possible that COVID-19 meant that Funi decided to not prioritize the production of one of their low-sellers, even if it is in the Dragon Ball family.
They're all out of stock now. You could be right, but if Spain was going to be "the first" country to release DB on Blu-Ray, hopefully it means Funimation is next, and these are being put aside for the time being.
I'm not much for the quality of the footage itself, but I ADORE the packaging of the Spanish releases. Modern and yet delightfully 80s at the same time! Best presentation of any Dragon Ball disc release, IMO (except maybe the OG DBox).

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:16 am

I mean, it's been just over a decade now (Season 1 came out back in September 2009) since they were first released here and have been the primary versions of the original series available since then, perhaps FUNi is reevaluating it or then again maybe not. We don't know at this point what the BB's status are if they are been discontinued or something else has been planned like a new release.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:18 am

Didn't FunimationNow do an upscale of the four Dragon Ball movies?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:21 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:18 am
I heard that they did, but unfortunately it seems Sleeping Princess is apparently the horrible laggy version that was released in the four movie pack where the film runs at 12 fps. Seriously, it blows my mind that they haven't fixed that glaring flaw because you can't help but notice how everything is so jerky and all the fast motion shots but especially Goku and Krillin's race at the start where they appear to float. It's why i hunted down the 2005 single release, because there was no way i'd subject myself to horrible things like that which compromise the footage itself so badly. :lol:
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:20 am

Or it could just be that Amazon.com (the seller) has not those specific BB's at THIS specific time, and FUNimation is going to ''put out'' more in due time. I (and we) just perhaps have to...wait.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:42 am

Witty User Name wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:20 am Or it could just be that Amazon.com (the seller) has not those specific BB's at THIS specific time, and FUNimation is going to ''put out'' more in due time. I (and we) just perhaps have to...wait.
This would be true if it were just one out of stock, but it's unusual for an entire release to be removed. They'd also have a notice about more being on the way. You could be right and it's just a stock issue due to what's going on, I just don't remember an entire home release being removed like that.

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:09 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:42 am
Witty User Name wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:20 am Or it could just be that Amazon.com (the seller) has not those specific BB's at THIS specific time, and FUNimation is going to ''put out'' more in due time. I (and we) just perhaps have to...wait.
This would be true if it were just one out of stock, but it's unusual for an entire release to be removed. They'd also have a notice about more being on the way. You could be right and it's just a stock issue due to what's going on, I just don't remember an entire home release being removed like that.
As far as I know and as the opening post states, only #2 and #5 of the BB's are out of stock from the seller ''amazon.com'' on the website.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:01 am

Hoping this means an English release of the Blu-Rays is coming.

I've been hoping for OG DB to get the HD treatment so I can support it again and show that we care for pre-Raditz content.

This series is also way overdue an upgrade now.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:47 am

Honestly, i'm still shocked that Season Sets covering everything are still available to buy new. They've been out forever now. :? Especially Dragonball and GT. I don't ever expect to see another release of those in the states again especially the original series. As many sets as I have bought after the OB's, it still saddens me unless fans want to upgrade to the cropped 16x9 blurays, then they will just have to settle and buy those awful OB's. Unless they're willing to pay high prices for the 30th anniversary set or dragonboxes which I think most casual fans wont. I've made peace with the fact that the 30th anniversary set or dragonboxes is as good as you're gonna get states side lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:44 am

Just finished re-collecting the singles, so id bet there's a new and possibly better release :lol:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:06 pm

Witty User Name wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:17 am Is this the end of the Blue Bricks era, or is this not something worth bothering with?
I hope it is. They suck.

But realistically, I don't think Funi care enuogh to print any kind of new release of DB or GT, so the Blue Bricks will probably be restocked in future.
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:18 am
No, FuniNow currently has a real, legitimate HD scan of the four OG DB-based movies. DB movie 2 is utterly screwed up due to framerate decimation (it runs at 12fps, instead of 24; every second frame is just gone), but but other three are gorgeous (think the Levels, but with the colour correction not being as good, but it's taken from 35mm film instead of 16mm). And they're 4:3. :)
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:01 am Hoping this means an English release of the Blu-Rays is coming.

I've been hoping for OG DB to get the HD treatment so I can support it again and show that we care for pre-Raditz content.

This series is also way overdue an upgrade now.
I agree, but from Funimation? Fuck no. I'd rather they stuck to their original standard-def masters!! >_>
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:13 pm

Yeeaahh call me crazy but I see no reason to get excited for the possibility of FUNi swapping out their terrible DVDs for probably terrible Blu-Rays.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:54 pm

They still sold the Orange Bricks after the season BDs were released. Surely this is just a COVID induced shortage.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:24 pm

I wouldn't mind if they did away with the Blue Bricks and replaced them with that beautiful upscale Spain got.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:42 pm

Yeah, I think that this is just a temporary shortage during the crisis. They'll probably print more once things calm down.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:02 pm

DrBriefsCat wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:24 pm I wouldn't mind if they did away with the Blue Bricks and replaced them with that beautiful upscale Spain got.
Spain's upscale wasn't beautiful. It's just the Dragon Boxes but blurrier and smearier. Better than the Blue Bricks, at least, but not by all that much.
OmegaRockman wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:42 pm Yeah, I think that this is just a temporary shortage during the crisis. They'll probably print more once things calm down.
Indeed. This is the most likely case.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.