A couple or one sided romance?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: A couple or one sided romance?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:14 am

The_Destroyer wrote: ↑Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:15 am I feel like Caulifla is more likely to end up with Cabba if anything
Based on what?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:39 am

I don't really see why the staff would pair Caulifla up with Cabba. She busts his balls a bit but that's all.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:53 am

I think romance as a whole is presented pretty one-sided in DB, in that its more like subtext than your typical depictions of romance seen in fiction & nonfiction. We know that Goku & Chi Chi or Vegeta & Bulma love each other...but that point is made with little physical proof such as kissing(not just an occasional "kiss on the cheek"), holding each other sensually(not just for more than a few seconds), or making it a serious part of the story(and not playing it off at the expense of a joke). If anything, they all usually make it clear that they love each other in very brief, emotional conversations.
While I don't find it bad that DB is clearly not and never will be a romance story, it might not hurt to have a side-story or spinoff where romantic relationships become just a slight degree more prevalent.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:02 am

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote: ↑Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:03 pmWhat are your guys thoughts?
That they're merely friends and those that think there's more to it are just those that are part of that LGBT community who are desperate to feel like they're being represented and included in some way when they aren't.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:32 am

Thunderbird wrote: ↑Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:02 am That they're merely friends and those that think there's more to it are just those that are part of that LGBT community who are desperate to feel like they're being represented and included in some way when they aren't.
Not LGBT reporting in to confirm that I think what you're saying I can't think.

Get that shit outta here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:37 pm

VegettoEX wrote: ↑Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:32 amNot LGBT reporting in to confirm that I think what you're saying I can't think.

I have no idea what kind of English that was meant to be. Were you offended or something by my completely inoffensive comment because the year happens to be 2020?

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:48 pm

Thunderbird wrote: ↑Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:37 pm I have no idea what kind of English that was meant to be. Were you offended or something by my completely inoffensive comment because the year happens to be 2020?
You implied that queer theory is an invalid literary critique. This is the only warning you're going to get, pull that shit again and you're gone.

Brojack
Banned

Post by Brojack » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:53 pm

Thunderbird wrote: ↑Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:37 pm
VegettoEX wrote: ↑Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:32 amNot LGBT reporting in to confirm that I think what you're saying I can't think.

I have no idea what kind of English that was meant to be. Were you offended or something by my completely inoffensive comment because the year happens to be 2020?
You must be new to the internet. Everyone cries and gets offended on everyone's behalf now.

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:01 pm

desirecampbell wrote: ↑Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:48 pmYou implied that queer theory is an invalid literary critique.
Incorrect, I implied nothing. The two characters are only ever presented as close friends. Those who believe there's some deeper meaning behind their relationship is the exact same as what some people believe to be the case behind Tien and Chiaotzu.

As in there's nothing behind it and it's something the LGBT community only want to be true to feel represented.

In other words nothing to get in a little hissy fit over.

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:04 pm

Brojack wrote: ↑Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:53 pmYou must be new to the internet. Everyone cries and gets offended on everyone's behalf now.
Ain't that the truth, look how upset they got just over an inoffensive opinion and answer to the thread. Just wait they'll be claiming me as homophobic next because I don't think the characters who haven't been portrayed as homosexual aren't, you know, homosexual.

They've derailed the topic for nothing.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:04 pm

Y'know, I bet Kale is the kind of lesbian who likes to dress Caulifla up in cute clothes that she makes specifically for her. That's my sense of the aura that Kale gives off.

I wonder what Tenshinhan and Chaozu do between all that fucking they do? Maybe play board games? Tenshinhan looks like he plays a mean game of Backgammon!
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Brojack
Banned

Post by Brojack » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:14 pm

Thunderbird wrote: ↑Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:04 pmAin't that the truth, look how upset they got just over an inoffensive opinion and answer to the thread.
It's not even wrong either. It actually happens a lot, not just for anime but movies and TV shows too.

If there is a character whose sexual preference hasn't been established yet, the LGBT community will try to claim that character.

It happens a lot with characters like Winter Soldier and Loki. I think Elsa is one. Poe from Star Wars. All the time.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:21 pm

Brojack wrote: ↑Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:14 pm
Thunderbird wrote: ↑Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:04 pmAin't that the truth, look how upset they got just over an inoffensive opinion and answer to the thread.
It's not even wrong either. It actually happens a lot, not just for anime but movies and TV shows too.

If there is a character whose sexual preference hasn't been established yet, the LGBT community will try to claim that character.

It happens a lot with characters like Winter Soldier and Loki. I think Elsa is one. Poe from Star Wars. All the time.
Lol, so what? Cishets do it all the time. At least we have the justification of wanting to do it to educate people so that they don't fear us and murder us.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Brojack
Banned

Post by Brojack » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:26 pm

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:21 pmLol, so what?
So he's not wrong, so what are the mods whining about?

He didn't say anything bad. He said the LGBT community try to claim characters so they feel represented, that's true and has been that way for years. What's the problem that there'd need to be a warning?

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:26 pm

Brojack wrote: ↑Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:14 pm It's not even wrong either. It actually happens a lot, not just for anime but movies and TV shows too.
You know, that point of these public warnings is for everyone to benefit from them - but since you've explained that you need things to be made super explicit for you:

1. Queer readings of literary figures is normal, acceptable, real, and is definitely allowed here (in this thread, on this forum, and on this website).
2. Poe and Finn had a clear and obvious sexual tension.
3. Frozen is a coming out story.
4. If you make any remarks about "them" again, you're out of here too.

Brojack
Banned

Post by Brojack » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:40 pm

desirecampbell wrote: ↑Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:26 pm1. Queer readings of literary figures is normal, acceptable, real, and is definitely allowed here (in this thread, on this forum, and on this website).
2. Poe and Finn had a clear and obvious sexual tension.
3. Frozen is a coming out story.
4. If you make any remarks about "them" again, you're out of here too.
But none of that is an answer as to what he actually said that was wrong. He said what he said and then I gave examples of other characters it's been said with.

I also never said it was wrong or bad...I merely named other characters as examples.

What tension did Poe and Finn even have? Finn had tension with Rey, he asked her if she had a boyfriend.

Elsa has shown no attraction to any character at any point either.

But nevertheless what is the actual reason for why there'd be warnings in the first place? Just for pointing out something that is known?

I'd be being banned...for pointing out widely known examples?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:59 pm

Finn and Poe's actors specifically played them as being men-loving men and were summarily ignored when they asked executives to let them make it explicit.

The staff of Kanzenshuu have been entirely fair in defending queer people and queer theory. It's been my experience--as the most active queer member--that the cishet fandom attracted here has been really hostile to queer interpretations or even the basic idea of a character being queer. It's made coming to the forum exhausting and highly painful to see a subject I am so invested in treated with such ire.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:00 pm

Brojack wrote: ↑Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:40 pm But none of that is an answer as to what he actually said that was wrong. He said what he said and then I gave examples of other characters it's been said with.
I also never said it was wrong or bad...I merely named other characters as examples.
What tension did Poe and Finn even have? Finn had tension with Rey, he asked her if she had a boyfriend.
Elsa has shown no attraction to any character at any point either.
But nevertheless what is the actual reason for why there'd be warnings in the first place? Just for pointing out something that is known?
I'd be being banned...for pointing out widely known examples?
Junior, I'm not here to teach you how to not be a dick. Google "Queer Theory Critique". "Queer Erasure", "LGBT Othering". You should have plenty of time to read up on that while you're not here ever again.

To anyone else thinking they might want to defend the banned: don't. Maybe just don't.

Addendum: Kale's definitely in love with Caulifla, I don't know how that's even a question.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:12 pm

The_Destroyer wrote: ↑Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:15 am I feel like Caulifla is more likely to end up with Cabba if anything
caulifla is more likely to marry uub than him lol

and I say this due to the fact that caulifla and kale are a duo which cabba is not part, DB heros they continue to fight as a team while cabba fighting on their own also they are very different and in general their interactions are bad

as a curious fact video games if they hint that there could be something between caulifla and kale but well they are games their relevance depends

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:24 am

desirecampbell wrote: ↑Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:00 pmAddendum: Kale's definitely in love with Caulifla, I don't know how that's even a question.
I only watched the ToP and I honestly thought they were sisters...I don't know why. How fucking dumb am I? :lol: