Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:41 pm

I never bother with The Last Airbender because I never cared for the Avatar: TLAB franchise. From what I've seen, DBE is a better movie because DBE was going to be awful, to begin with, and has a cheesy B movie vibe to it. With The Last Airbender, it had better special effects and it was made by a director who has made a couple of decent movies before. I consider big budget bad movie worse than bad movies with smaller budgets because you have higher hopes for a bigger budget movie. Even with Transformers movies, you hope for something watchable because it had a big crew that put a lot of time and effort into it.

I still consider the 2013 Oldboy movie to be the worst Hollywood adaption of an anime and manga in my opinion. It's a shitty whitewash movie from Spike Lee and Spike Lee made amazing movies. Unlike Ghost in the Shell 2017 and DBE, those movies were made by directors who had no good movies under their belts.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Planetnamek
Banned

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by Planetnamek » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:47 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:41 pm I never bother with The Last Airbender because I never cared for the Avatar: TLAB franchise. From what I've seen, DBE is a better movie because DBE was going to be awful, to begin with, and has a cheesy B movie vibe to it. With The Last Airbender, it had better special effects and it was made by a director who has made a couple of decent movies before. I consider big budget bad movie worse than bad movies with smaller budgets because you have higher hopes for a bigger budget movie. Even with Transformers movies, you hope for something watchable because it had a big crew that put a lot of time and effort into it.

I still consider the 2013 Oldboy movie to be the worst Hollywood adaption of an anime and manga in my opinion. It's a shitty whitewash movie from Spike Lee and Spike Lee made amazing movies. Unlike Ghost in the Shell 2017 and DBE, those movies were made by directors who had no good movies under their belts.
I never really got the hate for the Oldboy remake, I thought it was pretty good for what it was, Samuel L Jackson gives a damn strong performance and that hallway fight scene was pretty epic.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:38 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:47 am
Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:41 pm I never bother with The Last Airbender because I never cared for the Avatar: TLAB franchise. From what I've seen, DBE is a better movie because DBE was going to be awful, to begin with, and has a cheesy B movie vibe to it. With The Last Airbender, it had better special effects and it was made by a director who has made a couple of decent movies before. I consider big budget bad movie worse than bad movies with smaller budgets because you have higher hopes for a bigger budget movie. Even with Transformers movies, you hope for something watchable because it had a big crew that put a lot of time and effort into it.

I never really got the hate for the Oldboy remake, I thought it was pretty good for what it was, Samuel L Jackson gives a damn strong performance and that hallway fight scene was pretty epic.
It's a pointless and bad adaption in my opinion with the story, script, action, actors, direction. The hallway fight was cool and that was about it. They also whitewash it by having Josh Borlin when there is so many other East Asian actors that would have been perfect as Shinichi Gotō/Oh Dae-su. Seeing Spike Lee go from Do the Right Thing to this movie felt sad to see.

With DBE, it was directed by the guy who did Final Destination. That was already a red flag when it was announced that James Wong was going to directed it.
She/Her

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:43 pm

To be fair, a few of the Final Destination movies are pretty decent in their own right. At the very least there's a lot of great visual effects work, none of which went into DBE :lol:
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:01 pm

If you've never seen Avatar: The Last Airbender then you are missing out. I recommend you sit down and watch it because it's definitely a special piece of art.

As for the topic at hand? I'd say that I enjoyed Dragonball Evolution more than The Last Airbender, however, not by much. Both were shitty films, but one (in my opinion) was just a tiny bit less shitty. With that said, I'd be down for a different studio to give a live-action adaptation of Dragon Ball another chance. Netflix is investing in a live-action adaptation of Avatar: TLA, and I'm holding onto hope for that one.
One World. 🌐 🕊

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:10 pm

PhoenixEX wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:01 pm If you've never seen Avatar: The Last Airbender then you are missing out. I recommend you sit down and watch it because it's definitely a special piece of art.

I feel like I’m not missing out and I get the feeling the people who consider Last Airbender to be must see tv are the same people who consider MHA, One Piece, and Steven Universe must see tv

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:22 pm

Actually no. There are people who hate all those shows and LOVE Avatar. I can confirm that.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:31 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:22 pm Actually no. There are people who hate all those shows and LOVE Avatar. I can confirm that.
Avatar: TLA has fans even amongst people who do nothing but read literary fiction. It's very unusual for a cartoon show to have such broad appeal and I gotta figure that black magic was involved.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:05 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:10 pmI get the feeling the people who consider Last Airbender to be must see tv are the same people who consider MHA, One Piece, and Steven Universe must see tv
Never watched any of those series except for one saga of One Piece.

Avatar The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra are a must see.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:26 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:10 pm
PhoenixEX wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:01 pm If you've never seen Avatar: The Last Airbender then you are missing out. I recommend you sit down and watch it because it's definitely a special piece of art.

I feel like I’m not missing out and I get the feeling the people who consider Last Airbender to be must see tv are the same people who consider MHA, One Piece, and Steven Universe must see tv
I don't think you're missing too much either, yeah the show looks great but it never really hooked me and I certainly don't hold it on as high of a pedestal as people like Mr Enter do.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:06 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:10 pm

You really come off as a snob sometimes. I've never even seen SU and mostly follow the manga for the other two, but what is so wrong with them?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:03 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:06 am You really come off as a snob sometimes. I've never even seen SU and mostly follow the manga for the other two, but what is so wrong with them?
Nothing. Some folks just like to hate. You can share some of the most well crafted story telling ever written and I can guarantee you someone is going to show up to bitch.

Hell, once on a DnD subreddit I started a rememberance thread for Ursula Le Guin and my first two comments were people saying they thought she was overrated. Don't ever expect much from people.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:53 am

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:03 am
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:06 am You really come off as a snob sometimes. I've never even seen SU and mostly follow the manga for the other two, but what is so wrong with them?
Nothing. Some folks just like to hate. You can share some of the most well crafted story telling ever written and I can guarantee you someone is going to show up to bitch.

Hell, once on a DnD subreddit I started a rememberance thread for Ursula Le Guin and my first two comments were people saying they thought she was overrated. Don't ever expect much from people.
I've been called more names then I can count just for daring to admit to liking the Michael Bay Transformers movies, so I feel your pain.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:12 am

You are really interesting you know. I like the way you think.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:29 pm

Funny to think The Last Airbender is worse than DBE, but it ends up making more money at the box office even though Dragon Ball is a bigger brand name. I guess M Night's name is a bigger box office draw than anyone in DBE.
She/Her

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:46 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:29 pm Funny to think The Last Airbender is worse than DBE, but it ends up making more money at the box office even though Dragon Ball is a bigger brand name. I guess M Night's name is a bigger box office draw than anyone in DBE.
I think timing and ad budget were what tipped the scales. TLA was released only a few years after the cartoon had wrapped up whereas Evolution came out decades later when fan interest was at a nadir. TLA also had a full media blitz before release. But the ratios aren't that different. Evolution cost $30 million to make and made $59 million at the box office whereas TLA cost $150 million and made $319 million. And if you factor in the goals of each movie Evolution comes out the winner as the Dragon Ball brand wasn't hurt by it. TLA was meant to launch a whole fantasy epic akin to the LotR films which clearly did not happen.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:25 pm

The fact that TLA managed to cross $100 million domestically, and $300 million worldwide, despite receiving reception on the level of Battlefield Earth, is a great indication of just how much Shyamalan and Paramount completely botched what could’ve been a goldmine for them. If the movie had been any good, it probably would’ve done well enough to justify a trilogy.

As far as DBE is concerned, it’s not too difficult to see why it made so little money in comparison. Fox had virtually no faith in the film to begin with. I distinctly recall there having been very little promotion for the movie at all. The fact that the movie was clearly made on a low budget certainly didn’t help. Unlike TLA, which tried to give off the appearance of a LotR style epic, DBE just looked like a cheap Kung Fu film.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:02 pm

I'd say it's worse. Everytime I think of Justin Chatwin's performance, I just cringe. And Ernie Hudson, why do you keep popping up in horrible movies, man? I guess he needed a paycheck. Chow Yun-fat was at least a decent choice for Roshi.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:25 am

I mean, at least The Last Airbender tried to be faithful to the source material but just did it in the clumsiest way possible. Dragon Ball Evolution is almost completely alien to the original in every way possible; might as well have been a generic mid-00s coming of age action movie with Dragon Ball names and pieces of lore slapped onto it at the last second.

Like, on surface level, you can look at a couple of clips from The Last Airbender and actually recognize it as an Avatar adaptation. Could you do that for DBE at ANY point besides like, one Master Roshi scene?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:36 am

Dragonball Evolution didn't have to be a faithful adaptation, it just had to be a good movie. Unfortunately, that is where it ultimately fails. It's not the changes from the source material that doomed it, it's pretty much everything else.