What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by MetaMoss » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:37 pm

After having them sit on my Amazon wish list for almost four years, I finally went ahead and grabbed all the Blue Bricks. And unlike the other times I spend perhaps too much money on home video, I'm actually going to use these soon, as the show is leaving Hulu. That really cut into my whole "introduce my girlfriend to DB" thing.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:12 pm

MetaMoss wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:37 pmI'm actually going to use these soon, as the show is leaving Hulu.
This is why I can never get behind streaming, you never know when your favorite show will be removed. I've also read that people are having issues with some services due to the amount of people using them now. Physical media is a one time payment and you own it forever.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:02 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:12 pm
MetaMoss wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:37 pmI'm actually going to use these soon, as the show is leaving Hulu.
This is why I can never get behind streaming, you never know when your favorite show will be removed. I've also read that people are having issues with some services due to the amount of people using them now. Physical media is a one time payment and you own it forever.
For me streaming is the modern equivalent of renting a movie from Blockbuster. It's great for trying something out, but when it comes to owning I'm a physical only kinda guy. I just love knowing my all time favourite series and movies are there on my shelf and no one can alter or take them away.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:05 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:12 pm This is why I can never get behind streaming, you never know when your favorite show will be removed. I've also read that people are having issues with some services due to the amount of people using them now. Physical media is a one time payment and you own it forever.
Fair points, but I also think its hard to overstate how compelling the convenience of streaming is to many people. The fact that I didn't bother getting these until I couldn't stream it anymore is a testament to that.

And what about shows that aren't among my absolute favorites? Sure, I got Dragon Ball because I know I want it. My girlfriend and I are also going through Sailor Moon on Hulu, and while I'm glad it's still available on there, I don't think I'm going to drop the money to own it if it goes away, even if we weren't finished with it. I'm certainly willing to pay a nominal recurring fee to have that limited access to Sailor Moon and many other shows and movies, but I also see the arguments of those who don't find that transaction worth their money.

At the end of the day, I'm just happy we still have options.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:27 pm

MetaMoss wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:05 pmWhat about shows that aren't among my absolute favorites? I'm certainly willing to pay a nominal recurring fee to have that limited access to Sailor Moon and many other shows and movies.
I agree , I just don't think it's reliable as an only/permanent method, as things can change with it over night, both in terms of content and usage. I know some argue that it's cheaper to pay $7-10 monthly, but when you're doing that for years, and for multiple services, it ends up costing more than buying the content.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:04 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:27 pm I agree , I just don't think it's reliable as an only/permanent method, as things can change with it over night, both in terms of content and usage.
It certainly isn't one, which is why I still purchase physical copies for the stuff I really care about (or when I find it for a good deal at a thrift store or similar place).
Matches Malone wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:27 pm I know some argue that it's cheaper to pay $7-10 monthly, but when you're doing that for years, and for multiple services, it ends up costing more than buying the content.
If I just outright bought all the stuff I have or will ever watch on streaming... it might be cheaper over my entire lifetime, but I'm not so convinced. I believe that I've tried way more shows and movies than I would have if I had to purchase them. Plus, add in the time and effort on acquiring, storing, and using all those physical copies, and for everything but the works I hold most dear, I'm just fine paying for limited access.

I mean, streaming is just a recent iteration on the eons-old concept of the library. Sure, shows may come and go from the service, but the Library of Alexandria can also burn to ash. Doesn't mean there isn't value to be had there.

But again, we aren't forced to choose one or the other here, and that's a very powerful thing.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:47 pm

most of the edited GT vhs tapes and the kidmark dragon ball vhs tapes. i love collecting.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:25 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:02 pm
For me streaming is the modern equivalent of renting a movie from Blockbuster. It's great for trying something out, but when it comes to owning I'm a physical only kinda guy. I just love knowing my all time favourite series and movies are there on my shelf and no one can alter or take them away.
Streaming is fine for TV shows and movies developed by the streaming platforms themselves like Bosch, Bojack Horseman, Orange is the New Black, F is for Family, Big Mouth, Ozark, etc but I never use those services to watch other shows and movies I can already see on DVD unedited(whereas streaming services usually only get the crappy syndicated versions of shows like Friends and The Office that cut out some of the best bits, and sometimes movies will randomly be put in the wrong aspect ratio or have a different ending for no apparent reason)

I got a free trial for Funi's streaming service and I watched some DBZ and stopped when I realized that it wasn't the version i'd grown up watching so I just lost interest in the service.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:22 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:25 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:02 pm
Streaming is fine for TV shows and movies developed by the streaming platforms themselves like Bosch, Bojack Horseman, Orange is the New Black, F is for Family, Big Mouth, Ozark, etc but I never use those services to watch other shows and movies I can already see on DVD unedited(whereas streaming services usually only get the crappy syndicated versions of shows like Friends and The Office that cut out some of the best bits, and sometimes movies will randomly be put in the wrong aspect ratio or have a different ending for no apparent reason)

I got a free trial for Funi's streaming service and I watched some DBZ and stopped when I realized that it wasn't the version i'd grown up watching so I just lost interest in the service.
Even with streaming originals, if it's something I love I'll always plan on picking up the physical copy. As a huge Star Wars fan you can bet I'll be buying The Mandalorian when it inevitably gets a Blu-Ray release just in case it suffers the OT treatment of being tampered with forever. Conversely other streaming originals, like Better Call Saul I have tried but didn't like so I don't plan on buying the Blu-Rays, so it's a case-by-case basis.

Friends is on Netflix in my country, but, yeah. I've got the Blu-Ray box set, so if I'm going to watch it I'm not going to go for the altered, compressed version that may be interrupted depending on my internet connection.

For Dragon Ball, I collect all the releases as they come out so I have no need to stream anything. Not to mention the rarities we get on physical copies like the Pioneer trilogy or Kai with the Yamamoto score that would never be available on any streaming service.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:43 pm

I've recently been rebuying all the original DVD releases of the movies and picked up the original Broly movie today.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:02 am

As of now: buying FighterZ on Switch during the lockdown which has reminded me of how much I love the franchise again.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

CuppaKofe

Post by CuppaKofe » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:04 pm

Recently picked up the Pioneer Tree of Might single. Pretty happy to have all the Pioneer singles in some form. Maybe I'll try and get the laserdiscs some day.

Also fulfilled my childhood dream of owning this god awful game a little while ago. Good condition and dirt cheap too. Remember when this garbage was worth hundreds? :crazy:

Looking for the following Pioneer single:

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:34 pm

CuppaKofe wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:04 pm Recently picked up the Pioneer Tree of Might single. Pretty happy to have all the Pioneer singles in some form. Maybe I'll try and get the laserdiscs some day.

Also fulfilled my childhood dream of owning this god awful game a little while ago. Good condition and dirt cheap too. Remember when this garbage was worth hundreds? :crazy:

That was just the original release that was worth that much, there was actually a re-release of that game in 2004 to coincide with GT airing on CN and that one was always considerably cheaper.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:41 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:34 pm
CuppaKofe wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:04 pm Recently picked up the Pioneer Tree of Might single. Pretty happy to have all the Pioneer singles in some form. Maybe I'll try and get the laserdiscs some day.

That was just the original release that was worth that much, there was actually a re-release of that game in 2004 to coincide with GT airing on CN and that one was always considerably cheaper.
I found the Japanese version (possibly an import) at a local used game store and it was dirt cheap. Like about $5 or so.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

CuppaKofe

Post by CuppaKofe » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:33 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:34 pm That was just the original release that was worth that much, there was actually a re-release of that game in 2004 to coincide with GT airing on CN and that one was always considerably cheaper.
I know that, I meant to say that it USED to be very expensive before there were any other localized Dragon Ball games. I remember seeing a copy in 98 or 99 going for an absurd amount of money, hence why my parents never bought it for me. Even with the Atari rerelease, the Bandai release still has a bit of value due to the low print run last time I checked. I think the only reason I got mine for cheap was because the shop mistakenly used the common selling price for the Atari release.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:41 pm I found the Japanese version (possibly an import) at a local used game store and it was dirt cheap. Like about $5 or so.
Makes sense, I recall that it was one of the most imported games back then next to The Legend. I think the only reason people imported it back then was due to how expense it was before the Atari rerelease.
Last edited by CuppaKofe on Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Looking for the following Pioneer single:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:43 pm

CuppaKofe wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:33 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:34 pm That was just the original release that was worth that much, there was actually a re-release of that game in 2004 to coincide with GT airing on CN and that one was always considerably cheaper.
I know that, I meant to say that it USED to be very expensive before there were any other localized Dragon Ball games. I remember seeing a copy in 98 or 99 going for an absurd amount of money, hence why my parents never bought it for me. Even with the Atari rerelease, the Bandai release still has a bit of value due to the low print run last time I checked. I think the only reason I got mine for cheap was because the shop mistakenly used the common selling price for the Atari release.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:41 pm I found the Japanese version (possibly an import) at a local used game store and it was dirt cheap. Like about $5 or so.
Makes sense, I recall that it was one of the most imported games back then next to The Legend. I think the only reason people imported it back then was due to how expense it was before the Atari rerelease.
Yeah that's what i figured, seeing as it was seven years before they re released the game in 2004 thus importing was the only option for those wanting a copy due to the original U.S version apparently not having that wide of a release when done by Bandai. Of course the reissue is the one which has SSJ4 Goku on the cover of the case instead of Adult Goku and the English GT logo.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Tue May 05, 2020 12:27 am

Got the GT and Movies Dragon Box sets today, last two I needed. Wasn't impressed with the shipping though considering DHL was my only option (almost double to what EMS would have been) during the current situation, I know not to do that again. :D But glad to finally have all the Japanese sets for this now:

Got the full set for the Movies as it was the only way I could get a somewhat good condition set for the price and most listings came with the scouters anyway.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:38 pm

Last week I bought Movie Packs 1 and 3 and also Resurrection F officially completing my DBZ movie collection. Now I only need to buy both the Bardock and Trunks special.

Locust
Beyond Newbie

Post by Locust » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:55 am

I bought Dragon Ball: Fusions recently - a very fun game! In all honesty? I didn't have much expectations for it, I thought it'd be quite substandard, given the (small) amount of gameplay footage I had seen of it. But it was cheap and I thought "fuck it" - very glad I did, it's been hard to put down. Surprisingly addictive! I would recommend if you like turn based RPGs, that have a little bit of strategic gameplay in them.

I also bought this doujinshi -
"I just wanna punch god in the face"
My English can be weak, please forgive mistakes/confusingly phrased sentences
Letterboxd

Locust
Beyond Newbie

Post by Locust » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:27 pm

I didn't buy this, but it's a gift someone is sending me, so maybe still counts

I'm sure this will be an absolutely wholesome doujin
"I just wanna punch god in the face"
My English can be weak, please forgive mistakes/confusingly phrased sentences
Letterboxd