Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:21 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:21 pm So I've had a couple of questions regarding the manga of Dragon Ball / DBZ.

1. As someone who has seen the anime from start to finish, do you think the manga has much to offer? Now, I'm not questioning the quality of the manga. It's just that it doesn't have anything to surprise me with. While I've never read the original manga, I have been buying the Dragon Ball Super manga as they slowly drip out in printed form (I know some of it's free online, but I was kinda late jumping into that and too much is missing). But part of the reason I do that is because I know the manga is so different from the anime. But with DB/DBZ, does the manga offer a different enough experience to justify paying to read it?

2. I've noticed some colorized versions of the manga at my Barnes and Noble. It appears to be same original linework, just with some watercolors filled in. I'm sure this is mostly down to personal preference, but what are your opinions on this?
I ran out of things to buy once I bought all of Funimation's DVDs back in the day, and decided to give the manga a spin. I had a good time with it. It was a very calming experience and you can thumb through the series in a very short amount of time. Plus, the artwork is so consistently good.

As for the colored version, Japan released the entire thing in color. So far, Viz (the English distribution company) skipped Dragon Ball and hasn't even completed half of "Z." Apparently they need to license each arc individually and there was a long halt on their production of these.

My go-to were the Vizbigs mostly because of price.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:55 pm

Toriyama loves to subvert expectations a lot and while I love subversion of expectations, sometimes it can make it feel like set up and no pay off. Take the Mafuba for example. He sets it up as the one technique that could defeat Piccolo, only to have Tenshinhan's Denshi Jar crack and he never gets to use it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:32 pm

I get annoyed with Trunks and Goten age discourse because it baffles me that it's somehow easier for the most ardent complainers to believe that Trunks and Goten are literally older teenagers while looking like children than that the series is just inconsistent with its dates, something they "calculate" the same way as the equally-meaningless power level discourse and has had just as many problems for just as long a time (longer, even).

Like, why do we have to fellate this idea that everyone's ages and designs have been somehow forgotten when the much simpler explanation is just that the timeframe Super is in right now isn't actually that late?

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:59 pm

I agree with the above in the sense that there is something troubling about the sort of logic that suggests that Goten/Trunks/Marron are somehow any older than they were during the Boo saga. Similarly the notion of Bra/Pan in GT somehow being younger than they appear.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:15 am

I'm not much of a power-scaler fan but every now and then I like to indulge in it. One thing that gets me is the Super anime is often derided for being inconsistent and having "terrible power-scaling" but I feel like if I set my mind to it, I could scale most of the major characters pretty comfortably.

There are a lot of characters on the same tier- for instance, SSB Goku, SSB Vegeta, Golden Freeza, SSR Black, Toppo and Hit I'd rank all in the same general area. I guess that complicates it because it's hard to order those characters within their tier, but even so I don't think that's a detriment. If anything it makes it more fun because you get to imagine how a fight would go with everyone on equal footing.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:28 pm

Is it "Frost Demons" canon to name Freeza's race? Probably have said that here before, but I think it's pretty stupid

Desassina wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:09 pm I like to think of Boo's names like this:
I agree with those props (even though I don't use most of them)
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:20 am

Noah wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:28 pm Is it "Frost Demons" canon to name Freeza's race? Probably have said that here before, but I think it's pretty stupid.
I use my own name to refer to them: the Cold Blooded :)

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:13 am

Does it bother anyone else that the pants never get destroyed during battles while the shirts almost always do?

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:01 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:13 am Does it bother anyone else that the pants never get destroyed during battles while the shirts almost always do?
It didn't until you pointed it out.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:08 am

Noah wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:28 pmIs it "Frost Demons" canon to name Freeza's race? Probably have said that here before, but I think it's pretty stupid
I believe Cell once called them that in a video game. Not exactly reliable canon. The most canon name for Frieza's race is just...Frieza's race. Which is frustrating, considering how many characters we have now who are not Frieza who share the same race. Cold, Cooler, Kuriza, Frost... Why haven't we got a proper name for them yet?

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Mon May 11, 2020 9:46 pm

In "We Gotta Power," does he say actually sayドラゴン・ボール・ゼット(Zetto), or does he just say ze? Sounds like he never gets to the other syllable.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue May 12, 2020 11:02 am

What actually happened in Age 0 that caused it to become the beginning of the year count? (Or Age 1 if it's like our calendar and "year 0" isn't a thing.) Is there any information about that at all?
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue May 12, 2020 9:03 pm

Did Vegeta keep the power up he got when Beerus slapped Bulma ? The manga implies he did, based on how well he fought against Ssj2 Black, while a Ssj2 Trunks couldn't scratch base Black, but what do you think ?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue May 12, 2020 9:30 pm

No, of course not. When you get uncontrollably angry it does seem like you get stronger, but it's not like you keep that strength after calming down. It's a momentaneous thing driven solely by emotion, not a conscious one. Since it's not nearly the same as what Trunks displayed in the manga, I think it's inaccurate to call it "power-up" for that matter.

On that note, I don't think that's Goku Black's Super Saiyan 2 (despite the lightnings), by the way.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue May 12, 2020 9:38 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:30 pmSince it's not nearly the same as what Trunks displayed in the manga, I think it's inaccurate to call it "power-up" for that matter.

I don't think that's Goku Black's Super Saiyan 2 (despite the lightnings), by the way.
Vegeta still managed to severely outperform Trunks against Black, if he didn't keep that power, could he have trained to access it naturally ?

He also had Goku's ssj2 hairstyle.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed May 13, 2020 12:45 pm

I don't see why not. Between Movie 14 and Future Trunks saga, there's a one-year timeskip, during that time Vegeta trained, and he didn't do some random or used common methods for training, he trained under Whis. Whatever was the momentary "boost" he got from that rage moment, I'm pretty sure he caught up with that power (and surpassed it) by now.

Goku Black's hair has been consistently drawn as the regular Super Saiyan's hair for the most part.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Sat May 16, 2020 10:05 am

Anyone know when the NEP was shown for GT in the US Broadcast? Before or after the end credits?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue May 19, 2020 10:38 pm

I think Goku lost SsjG's power after absorbing Beerus' attack in BOG. The reason I say this is because at the very end, Vegeta says to Goku that the next time they need that power, he'll be doing the ritual. Goku agrees, but if he kept it, wouldn't he have said to Vegeta there won't be a need for him to do that because he can now access it at will ? I know Toriyama said otherwise during an interview, but I think based on that exchange at the end, and Goku's state after absorbing Beerus' attack, the intention was to have Goku lose that power. That's how I see it anyway, at least within the closed context of the movie. Goku wasn't satisfied with it, so it makes sense for him to not be stuck with it.

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Thu May 21, 2020 2:45 am

Was Dragon Ball Minus ever translated to Portuguese?

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Thu May 21, 2020 12:58 pm

Let's say that Adult Goten and Trunks are gay, in love with eachother and tell this to their parents. How would their parents react?