A couple or one sided romance?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sadala Elite
Banned

Re: A couple or one sided romance?

Post by Sadala Elite » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:51 am

Kale x Caulifla x Cabba: In terms of anime, Kale is definitely in love with Caulifla, though Caulifla's feelings towards her (and Cabba) are ambiguous. At the very least Caulifla does care for her (and to a lesser extent Cabba) as a close friend.

In terms of manga, there relationship is nonexistent. Caulifla just sees Kale as just another member of her gang.

Tien x Chaoizu: There was an entire thread about this, and my view is that their are asexual best friends.

Future Vegeta x Future Bulma: Most likely one-sided. While its obvious that Future Bulma loved Future Vegeta, there's no evidence that he felt the same way. And Future Trunks himself said that it was just a Brief fling (pun intended lmao).

Goku x Chi-Chi: Definitely one-sided as far as Toriyama and Modern DB are concerned smh. Modern DB and Toriyama has made Goku literally incapable of any deep emotional feelings for anyone, though this wasn't the case the anime versions of Early DB, Z and GT, nor Xeno Goku.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:25 am

Witty User Name wrote: ↑Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:24 am
desirecampbell wrote: ↑Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:00 pmAddendum: Kale's definitely in love with Caulifla, I don't know how that's even a question.
I only watched the ToP and I honestly thought they were sisters...I don't know why. How fucking dumb am I? :lol:
They're the kind of sisters where Kale hops on Caulifla's dick and begs for her children at least once a week.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:42 am

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:25 am
desirecampbell wrote: ↑Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:00 pmAddendum: Kale's definitely in love with Caulifla, I don't know how that's even a question.
I only watched the ToP and I honestly thought they were sisters...I don't know why. How fucking dumb am I? :lol:
They're the kind of sisters where Kale hops on Caulifla's dick and begs for her children at least once a week.
Julie-chan, with all due respect, but don't you think you're overdoing it with the sexual stuff? C'mon, this is a series for kids. Plus, haven't we talk recently that you consider this place to be for serious, academic discussion? :D

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:21 pm

Sadala Elite wrote: ↑Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:51 am Kale x Caulifla x Cabba: In terms of anime, Kale is definitely in love with Caulifla, though Caulifla's feelings towards her (and Cabba) are ambiguous. At the very least Caulifla does care for her (and to a lesser extent Cabba) as a close friend.

In terms of manga, there relationship is nonexistent. Caulifla just sees Kale as just another member of her gang.

Tien x Chaoizu: There was an entire thread about this, and my view is that their are asexual best friends.

Future Vegeta x Future Bulma: Most likely one-sided. While its obvious that Future Bulma loved Future Vegeta, there's no evidence that he felt the same way. And Future Trunks himself said that it was just a Brief fling (pun intended lmao).

Goku x Chi-Chi: Definitely one-sided as far as Toriyama and Modern DB are concerned smh. Modern DB and Toriyama has made Goku literally incapable of any deep emotional feelings for anyone, though this wasn't the case the anime versions of Early DB, Z and GT, nor Xeno Goku.
just to add something to the games it seems that caulifla and kale have more than friendship

in DB heros caulifla and kale continue fighting together and ignore cabba although ironically when they were wounded they only cared about kale ..

on the other hand caulifla only interaction with 3 men hit, goku and cabba many of the relationships varied due to character development
only hit seems to have a lot of respect from the beginning for his fame she probably wanted to help him when he was in trouble in the fight with dyspo
caulifla did not like cabba and even told kale that he was not interested in him but at the end of the tournament he at least had more respect for him
with goku she also did not have confidence but she began to get along with him causing jealousy of kale, as kefla she told him that goku was the most impressive man she had ever known and even she doubted to take it off the platform and well that started to feel more respect and admiration for him

and well that's it

mancini

Post by mancini » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:04 am

I'm a newbie to all of dragon ball stuff. But, I thought they are best friends. I have to watch it again

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:05 am

Sadala Elite wrote: ↑Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:51 amModern DB and Toriyama has made Goku literally incapable of any deep emotional feelings for anyone, though this wasn't the case the anime versions of Early DB, Z and GT, nor Xeno Goku.

To be fair, even Toriyama didn't write Goku as empty as he's written now in the original manga. The anime definitely added more to that side of him, and I think it made him a better character.

In terms of the topic as a whole, I don't think we'll ever get any romance in DB apart from small scenes here and there. One on hand you've got Toriyama saying he doesn't know how to write it, and on the other the franchise just isn't fit for it. With that said, the idea of Goku not knowing what a kiss is is just cringeworthy. I have no idea how anyone could think writing Goku as someone who doesn't have the basic knowledge of life could be funny. He also seems oblivious to the concept of death which like the above, isn't funny.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:47 pm

Matches Malone wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:05 am He also seems oblivious to the concept of death which like the above, isn't funny.
well ...

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:01 pm

Tai Lung wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:47 pm
Matches Malone wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:05 am He also seems oblivious to the concept of death which like the above, isn't funny.
well ...
It's a shame we couldn't get more of that. The problem is that there were so many writers that you'd get a scene like this right after a scene of him not caring about the potential of other universes getting destroyed.

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Sun May 03, 2020 1:32 am

Now I am reading the manga, and I confirmed Kale and Caulifla are in fact sisters...so I wasn't wrong at all. :?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 03, 2020 1:44 am

Witty User Name wrote: ↑Sun May 03, 2020 1:32 am

Now I am reading the manga, and I confirmed Kale and Caulifla are in fact sisters...so I wasn't wrong at all. :?
They're not related by blood.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Sun May 03, 2020 2:07 am

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Sun May 03, 2020 1:44 am

What official source can confirm this? Just out of curiosity, of course.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 03, 2020 11:53 am

Witty User Name wrote: ↑Sun May 03, 2020 2:07 am

The dialogue of the characters. Caulifla refers to Kale as her subordinate, not her little sister. There's still a dynamic of sisterhood between the two but it's not related by blood.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun May 03, 2020 1:00 pm

In both the anime and manga Kale loves Caulifla.

In the anime, this is much more evident and considering how jealous Kale is, I bet it’s more than just the type of love people have for their friends or relatives.
Caulifla seems to be just like Goku. She’s quite aromantic and asexual and only likes to fight.
I think that, like Goku did with Chi-Chi, she would accept to marry Kale.

Heck, now that I think about that I think that if Krillin had been the one to ask Goku to marry him then he would have accepted.

Though with Goku being grossed out by kissing, who knows how Chi-Chi ever convinced him to have sex so it’s possible that like most Saiyans he just does not care about romance but still has the instinct to reciprocate, therefore Goku and other male Saiyans may have sex drive only for reproduction purposes.

Therefore who knows if Caulifla would ever want an intimate relationship with Kale. And the opposite could also be true.

In the manga nothing of sorts is implied, by the way. Kale just has immense respect for Caulifla and a sisterly/friendly love for her.
ζ‚Ÿ β€œVincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sun May 03, 2020 3:57 pm

emperior wrote: ↑Sun May 03, 2020 1:00 pm In both the anime and manga Kale loves Caulifla.

In the anime, this is much more evident and considering how jealous Kale is, I bet it’s more than just the type of love people have for their friends or relatives.
Caulifla seems to be just like Goku. She’s quite aromantic and asexual and only likes to fight.
I think that, like Goku did with Chi-Chi, she would accept to marry Kale.

Heck, now that I think about that I think that if Krillin had been the one to ask Goku to marry him then he would have accepted.

Though with Goku being grossed out by kissing, who knows how Chi-Chi ever convinced him to have sex so it’s possible that like most Saiyans he just does not care about romance but still has the instinct to reciprocate, therefore Goku and other male Saiyans may have sex drive only for reproduction purposes.

Therefore who knows if Caulifla would ever want an intimate relationship with Kale. And the opposite could also be true.

In the manga nothing of sorts is implied, by the way. Kale just has immense respect for Caulifla and a sisterly/friendly love for her.
given that in the anime the close relationship is shown in both with caulifla saving her and demonstrating their friendship ... because their closeness is more understandable, Kale was afraid that caulifla left with goku or someone else and was left alone, there seems to be no anything else ..
I don't see it differently than piccolo and kid gohan or tien and chiaotzu also toriyama created caulifla to be her friend
the relationship in the manga is basically master and slave ...
Even when Caulifla found out that Kale was going to die, his reaction was "ohh so bad."

in video games it is very different ...

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Wed May 06, 2020 3:44 am

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Sun May 03, 2020 11:53 am

The dialogue of the characters. Caulifla refers to Kale as her subordinate, not her little sister. There's still a dynamic of sisterhood between the two but it's not related by blood.
It's just my interpretation, but I think Kale is just a really insecure and weak person (almost a caricature of it, really) who looks up to Caulifla as a ''strong'' type of person. I don't see any reason why they should not be regarded as sisters by blood just by the way Kale behaves. I also don't see the ''subordination'' thing, although I may me misremembering the anime (it's been a while).

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed May 06, 2020 6:29 am

Witty User Name wrote: ↑Wed May 06, 2020 3:44 am
JulieYBM wrote: ↑Sun May 03, 2020 11:53 am

It's just my interpretation, but I think Kale is just a really insecure and weak person (almost a caricature of it, really) who looks up to Caulifla as a ''strong'' type of person. I don't see any reason why they should not be regarded as sisters by blood just by the way Kale behaves. I also don't see the ''subordination'' thing, although I may me misremembering the anime (it's been a while).
No, the reason they shouldn't be regarded as sisters by blood is because they ain't sisters by blood. Remember, Caulifla has a brother, Cabba's master who told him to recruit her. He said his sister was incredibly powerful, he didn't mention having two.

Kale calling Caulifla "sis" is meant to be a gang thing. Caulifla doesn't call Kale her sister, she calls her protoge.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Fri May 08, 2020 4:54 pm

Tai Lung wrote: ↑Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:17 pm
again .. tien shinhan and chiaotzu are very close friends but nobody ever judges their relationship before they are like brothers is the case of caulifla and kale, they are like sisters. the point is to be cute
I don't think Tien and Chiaotzu's relationship is analogous to Kale and Caulifla's. Kale has been known to get extremely jealous whenever Caulifla's attention is towards someone else. She's also always obsessed with pleasing Caulifla too.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Fri May 08, 2020 11:19 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: ↑Fri May 08, 2020 4:54 pm
again .. tien shinhan and chiaotzu are very close friends but nobody ever judges their relationship before they are like brothers is the case of caulifla and kale, they are like sisters. the point is to be cute
I don't think Tien and Chiaotzu's relationship is analogous to Kale and Caulifla's. Kale has been known to get extremely jealous whenever Caulifla's attention is towards someone else. She's also always obsessed with pleasing Caulifla too.
that is because their personalities are different while tien shinhan is a serious and taciturn man who only thinks about getting stronger his fellow chiaotzu is like a calm and loyal boy. It is not like Chiaotzu has to worry that he has more friends or that one day he marries and abandons him simply because they have not an interest in relating to others, they feel better being together. Kale's case is basically a fear of loneliness since Caulifla has no problem being able to relate to other warriors due to her energetic attitude and desire to learn new things, in addition to the fact that Kale often felt like a nuisance when she couldn't fending for herself, this increased her insecurities
I don't think the relationship is different just that the Saiyans are more human than the bald ones

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat May 09, 2020 3:05 am

Tai Lung wrote: ↑Fri May 08, 2020 11:19 pm
that is because their personalities are different while tien shinhan is a serious and taciturn man who only thinks about getting stronger his fellow chiaotzu is like a calm and loyal boy. It is not like Chiaotzu has to worry that he has more friends or that one day he marries and abandons him simply because they have not an interest in relating to others, they feel better being together. Kale's case is basically a fear of loneliness since Caulifla has no problem being able to relate to other warriors due to her energetic attitude and desire to learn new things, in addition to the fact that Kale often felt like a nuisance when she couldn't fending for herself, this increased her insecurities
I don't think the relationship is different just that the Saiyans are more human than the bald ones
Regardless of the reasons why, there's less there to indicate that either Tien or Chiaotzu have any romantic feelings, where as Kale seems to for Caulifla.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sat May 09, 2020 12:56 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: ↑Sat May 09, 2020 3:05 am
Tai Lung wrote: ↑Fri May 08, 2020 11:19 pm

Regardless of the reasons why, there's less there to indicate that either Tien or Chiaotzu have any romantic feelings, where as Kale seems to for Caulifla.
why? jealousy is proof of a person's insecurities and not of a romantic attraction .. jealousy exists between friends and family

Now if the writers had wanted show other intentions they would have shown scenes like this
Β 
in the games
Last edited by Tai Lung on Sat May 09, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.