Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Matches Malone » Wed May 06, 2020 2:36 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:16 pm I like DVDs because they're super easy to play on my PC.
Personally I like watching shows and movies on my big screen, but I'm always happy to get a DVD copy with my Blu-Ray, as it gives me the extra option of viewing it elsewhere.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed May 06, 2020 2:49 pm

Eh. I think Blu ray should be the bare minimum these days..hell, outside of anime Blu rays, I exclusively only buy 4K discs these days. The only DVDs I actively watch/own are DB related (ex. Dragon Boxes).
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Wed May 06, 2020 3:43 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:49 pm Eh. I think Blu ray should be the bare minimum these days..hell, outside of anime Blu rays, I exclusively only buy 4K discs these days. The only DVDs I actively watch/own are DB related (ex. Dragon Boxes).
I don't really see the appeal of 4K frankly, my good old HDTV works just fine for me.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed May 06, 2020 3:49 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:43 pm

I don't really see the appeal of 4K frankly, my good old HDTV works just fine for me.
You can apply the same logic to any new format...its not something you need..it's just better. The difference can be negligible to mind blowing depending on the particular movie/content you are watching. I guess the mindset of "good enough" vs "the best it can possibly look" comes into play.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed May 06, 2020 3:54 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:49 pm

You can apply the same logic to any new format...its not something you need..it's just better. The difference can be negligible to mind blowing depending on the particular movie/content you are watching. I guess the mindset of "good enough" vs "the best it can possibly look" comes into play.
That's my thinking as well, it really depends on what you're viewing. Some films especially more recent ones may look better on 4K than standard HD Blu-ray while others may be negligible so there's really no difference and thus not much of an upgrade.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Wed May 06, 2020 7:02 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:54 pm
Tylerman29 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:49 pm

That's my thinking as well, it really depends on what you're viewing. Some films especially more recent ones may look better on 4K than standard HD Blu-ray while others may be negligible so there's really no difference and thus not much of an upgrade.
I've heard of many instances of Blu-Ray actually making films look worse by washing out all the grain and making characters look very "waxy"(Terminator and the first BR release of Patton were particularly notorious for looking very artificial in that regard) so for that and other reasons(I.E. some BR versions being piss poor in terms of special features) I almost never bother getting films on Blu-Ray(one of the few exceptions is Return to House on Haunted because the BR version has a cool "Choose your own Adventure" aspect, and for films like Batman v Superman where its the only way to see the unrated version of the film). To me 4K just seems like another unnecessary gimmick that only the hardcore crowd are going to care about(like whenever a studio tries releasing films in some theaters with higher frame-rates, like the first Hobbit in 48 FPS and Gemini Man and Billy Long's Halftime Walk in 120 FPS, can't say i'm surprised i've not heard a peep about studios trying something like that again). Somehow I see 4K TVs meeting the same fate as 3D TVs did all those years ago.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed May 06, 2020 7:24 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:02 pm
I've heard of many instances of Blu-Ray actually making films look worse by washing out all the grain and making characters look very "waxy"(Terminator and the first BR release of Patton were particularly notorious for looking very artificial in that regard) so for that and other reasons(I.E. some BR versions being piss poor in terms of special features) I almost never bother getting films on Blu-Ray(one of the few exceptions is Return to House on Haunted because the BR version has a cool "Choose your own Adventure" aspect, and for films like Batman v Superman where its the only way to see the unrated version of the film). To me 4K just seems like another unnecessary gimmick that only the hardcore crowd are going to care about(like whenever a studio tries releasing films in some theaters with higher frame-rates, like the first Hobbit in 48 FPS and Gemini Man and Billy Long's Halftime Walk in 120 FPS, can't say i'm surprised i've not heard a peep about studios trying something like that again). Somehow I see 4K TVs meeting the same fate as 3D TVs did all those years ago.
Obviously transfers can be botched. I'm saying if the content is treated with some sort of respect...I mean hell..just look at Funimation's HD DBZ releases for proof that a newer format isn't ALWAYS better. Though it usually is in majority of cases. The new Star Wars saga 4K releases are just flat out better than the blu rays from 2011 despite still suffering from DNR, its the best those movies have ever looked and will probably ever look.

4K is not a "gimmick" its just not as revolutionary as VHS to DVD or DVD to blu ray. The real beauty of 4k is HDR rather than the resolution by itself.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed May 06, 2020 8:19 pm

4K is very helpful when movies are shot for that resolution or are remastered respectfully, but there's a certain ceiling for stuff that wasn't. A 4K transfer of Dragon Ball wouldn't make sense outside of the movies and the 16mm episodes because 1080 was already showing the limits of the actual film cels.

You could argue that a 4K Blu-Ray would allow for more episodes per disc, but non-4K content on a 4K disc is still a foreign concept for many people, and you wouldn't be able to make as much of a profit off of it.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Wed May 06, 2020 10:49 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:02 pmI've heard of many instances of Blu-Ray actually making films look worse by washing out all the grain and making characters look very "waxy"(Terminator and the first BR release of Patton were particularly notorious for looking very artificial in that regard)
The reason that Terminator 2 looks like shit is that DNR was used to make the film look like it was shot today. Both the Skynet edition of T2 as well as the recent 4K release of T2 both had DNR applied to it. The worst part of it is that James Cameron himself gave the studios doing the transfer/DNR his blessing to do so. It has nothing to do with the fact that it is a Blu-ray release. It is 100% that the studios wanted to remove grain from the image.

This release of T2 on has the grain intact and is 1080p. I bought it myself and enjoyed it. Currently the only 4K release has the DNR shit.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Wed May 06, 2020 11:59 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:24 pm
Obviously transfers can be botched. I'm saying if the content is treated with some sort of respect...I mean hell..just look at Funimation's HD DBZ releases for proof that a newer format isn't ALWAYS better. Though it usually is in majority of cases. The new Star Wars saga 4K releases are just flat out better than the blu rays from 2011 despite still suffering from DNR, its the best those movies have ever looked and will probably ever look.

4K is not a "gimmick" its just not as revolutionary as VHS to DVD or DVD to blu ray. The real beauty of 4k is HDR rather than the resolution by itself.
But how many people are going to be able to afford such a format? I think 4K will be niche at least for a while for the same reason VR is still niche-the cost.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu May 07, 2020 12:01 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:49 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:02 pmI've heard of many instances of Blu-Ray actually making films look worse by washing out all the grain and making characters look very "waxy"(Terminator and the first BR release of Patton were particularly notorious for looking very artificial in that regard)
The reason that Terminator 2 looks like shit is that DNR was used to make the film look like it was shot today. Both the Skynet edition of T2 as well as the recent 4K release of T2 both had DNR applied to it. The worst part of it is that James Cameron himself gave the studios doing the transfer/DNR his blessing to do so. It has nothing to do with the fact that it is a Blu-ray release. It is 100% that the studios wanted to remove grain from the image.

This release of T2 on has the grain intact and is 1080p. I bought it myself and enjoyed it. Currently the only 4K release has the DNR shit.
But the fact remains that DNR problems with live-action films happen WAY more on BR then on DVD because film studios feel like they have to make films look "modern" for HD presentations, so in a way it does have to do with the format, because the studio never used DNR to that extent on any of the DVD versions of TR2.

One of the worst butcherings of any kind was when Buffy the Vampire Slayer got converted to HD, the fake widescreen was so bad you could literally see crew members in some shots and it ended up removing some visual effects(I.E. an eclipse).

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu May 07, 2020 12:03 am

Planetnamek wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:59 pm
Tylerman29 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:24 pm

But how many people are going to be able to afford such a format? I think 4K will be niche at least for a while for the same reason VR is still niche-the cost.
I just don't see 4K having the numbers of standard Blu-ray at this point, and though i don't know the numbers off the top of my head i'll bet it's much smaller in comparison as far as the current high def formats go. Say for instance if HD-DVD hadn't crashed and burned in the format war with BD like it did over the course of 2007 and into 2008 and managed to hang on it would surely be a more niche thing as a format, similar to how Laserdisc was particularly in the late 80's/early 90's pretty much almost everywhere in the world with exception of Japan where it caught on more and was hugely popular there up through the early 2000's even after it was basically all but dead here in the States since it just couldn't stack up to how well VHS had done in the preceding decade or so.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu May 07, 2020 4:41 am

KBABZ wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:19 pmYou could argue that a 4K Blu-Ray would allow for more episodes per disc, but non-4K content on a 4K disc is still a foreign concept for many people, and you wouldn't be able to make as much of a profit off of it.
The average Joe who buys a Blu-Ray is probably not aware whether a show was shot on 16 or 35mm film or the limitations that imposes on the remastering process.

Funimation know a lot of people will just see any of their Season Blu-Rays with the nice cover art on the latest hot format (which was Blu-Ray up until UHD's debut in 2016) in Walmart and be like "Oh Dragon Ball Z, that's a show I used to love when I was a kid". I could very well see them attempting a UHD Season set with the same mindset. It's on a new format that the masses will think automatically gives them the best quality. That's why Funimation will never give the series the treatment it deserves, because in their minds not enough people care, and the majority of people who buy their releases can be easily manipulated by their lies.

Sadly there's not much more we can do. A lot of people (understandably) want to legally support this series, but because the Season sets are all that is in print in English-speaking countries doing so only gives Funimation more incentive to keep making shoddy releases.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu May 07, 2020 6:05 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:41 am
KBABZ wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:19 pmYou could argue that a 4K Blu-Ray would allow for more episodes per disc, but non-4K content on a 4K disc is still a foreign concept for many people, and you wouldn't be able to make as much of a profit off of it.
The average Joe who buys a Blu-Ray is probably not aware whether a show was shot on 16 or 35mm film or the limitations that imposes on the remastering process.
That's not what I meant. There's technically no such thing as an "Ultra-HD Blu-Ray" because the disc is all about how much digital space it can support, and at a certain point the average movie will fit on it at Ultra-HD quality. You can technically put all of the original Dragon Ball anime in SD across two Blu-Ray discs. But most fans would get upset at this idea because to them, a Blu-Ray disc means HD, not "lots of SD".

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Sun May 10, 2020 2:06 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:05 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:41 am
That's not what I meant. There's technically no such thing as an "Ultra-HD Blu-Ray" because the disc is all about how much digital space it can support, and at a certain point the average movie will fit on it at Ultra-HD quality. You can technically put all of the original Dragon Ball anime in SD across two Blu-Ray discs. But most fans would get upset at this idea because to them, a Blu-Ray disc means HD, not "lots of SD".
That really is such a good idea. Looking outside of DB, there are a lot of shows that I can think of that have would benefit from and SD Blu Ray re-release just to condense the sheer ammount of episodes onto less discs. Spongebob Squarepants released the "First 100 Episodes" on DVD back in 2017. Which essentially contained the first 5 seasons in one package, but, it was spread across 14 discs. Really it was only marginally better than just owning all the individual season sets for 1-5. With blu ray I think they could easily crunch it down to like 5 discs, since the show did not go to full HD until 2012, with season 9, so file sizes would be small.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun May 10, 2020 2:42 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:06 am That really is such a good idea. Looking outside of DB, there are a lot of shows that I can think of that have would benefit from and SD Blu Ray re-release just to condense the sheer ammount of episodes onto less discs. Spongebob Squarepants released the "First 100 Episodes" on DVD back in 2017. Which essentially contained the first 5 seasons in one package, but, it was spread across 14 discs. Really it was only marginally better than just owning all the individual season sets for 1-5. With blu ray I think they could easily crunch it down to like 5 discs, since the show did not go to full HD until 2012, with season 9, so file sizes would be small.
Yeah! I think most shows can benefit from being in HD (if done properly), but not from 4K, so splitting the difference and going 1080p and packing it with tons of episodes would be brilliant.

I mean I love the DBoxes and even the Blue Bricks, but I am beyond sick and tired of pulling one and out and realizing that none of the five discs have the episode I was looking for. Even as ripped ISOs it's frustrating because of the folder thing!

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Sun May 10, 2020 3:32 am

KBABZ wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:42 am
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:06 am That really is such a good idea. Looking outside of DB, there are a lot of shows that I can think of that have would benefit from and SD Blu Ray re-release just to condense the sheer ammount of episodes onto less discs. Spongebob Squarepants released the "First 100 Episodes" on DVD back in 2017. Which essentially contained the first 5 seasons in one package, but, it was spread across 14 discs. Really it was only marginally better than just owning all the individual season sets for 1-5. With blu ray I think they could easily crunch it down to like 5 discs, since the show did not go to full HD until 2012, with season 9, so file sizes would be small.
Yeah! I think most shows can benefit from being in HD (if done properly), but not from 4K, so splitting the difference and going 1080p and packing it with tons of episodes would be brilliant.

I mean I love the DBoxes and even the Blue Bricks, but I am beyond sick and tired of pulling one and out and realizing that none of the five discs have the episode I was looking for. Even as ripped ISOs it's frustrating because of the folder thing!
The ammount of passion i've seen reading through this monolith of a thread just makes me happy :)
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun May 10, 2020 4:34 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:32 am The ammount of passion i've seen reading through this monolith of a thread just makes me happy :)
Welcome to Kanzenshuu! :D

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sun May 10, 2020 5:19 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:01 amBut the fact remains that DNR problems with live-action films happen WAY more on BR then on DVD because film studios feel like they have to make films look "modern" for HD presentations, so in a way it does have to do with the format, because the studio never used DNR to that extent on any of the DVD versions of TR2.

One of the worst butcherings of any kind was when Buffy the Vampire Slayer got converted to HD, the fake widescreen was so bad you could literally see crew members in some shots and it ended up removing some visual effects(I.E. an eclipse).
That's still not the format's fault. Blame the morons at the studios who make these decisions, not Blu-ray itself. Hell, in Europe they actually release standard definition content on Blu-rays because of the storage, not the expectation of HD. See this Blu-ray release of Samurai Pizza Cats that says "SD BD" in the top right corner. I believe the EU has the cartoon Hey Arnold! like this as well. More information about SD Blu-rays on Wikipedia.

As for Buffy, they massacred that in ways Funimation cannot even do. I've read about all of the atrocities committed for that and it is laughable. They didn't keep FX such as an eclipse, a scene filmed in the day and edited to be at night lost the light changes, there are cast/screw visible, etc. But again, that's the studio's fault, not Blu-ray. Blame the stupidity of studio execs for this, not Blu-ray. See the SD Blu-ray examples above.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Mon May 11, 2020 3:10 am

After combing through this thread so much and absorbing all the juicy info, I'm debating weather it's a good or a bad thing that GT/OG DB haven't got a real home release since the days of DVD. Seeing how Funi treats their DBZ releases so poorly, i'd be afraid to see what they would do to poor DB or GT if they were to be crapped out to Blu Ray today by them. :crazy: :wtf: