DB Anime influences in DB manga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Goe
Not-So-Newbie

DB Anime influences in DB manga

Post by Goe » Thu May 14, 2020 10:20 am

Hi mates:

I was thinking about even DB manga predates DB anime, anime seems to have a little influence in manga. Let’s see:

1.Bardock was added in manga after Toei animation created his story in 1990 special.
2.Vegeta’s armor in Cell saga is clearly influenced by Bardock’s armor (remember that armor was designed by Nakatsuru).
3.Chapter 367 of manga (released in march 1992) includes a scheme about Dr. Gero’s androids, and tells A-13, A-14 and A-15 had an advanced development, even Gero decided to not use them. A-13, A-14 and A-15 were main villians of a movie (released in july 1992). Even manga chapter is some months older than movie, Toriyama may wrote that lines due to he was aware of that future movie.
4.Marron was filler Krillin’s girlfriend before android Saga. In Bu’s saga, Krillin’s dougher is also called Marron, so Toriyama used a filler name.

Do you know more DB anime influences in DB manga? If so, please share. Thank you!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: DB Anime influences in DB manga

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu May 14, 2020 11:02 am

Krillin's girlfriend in filler was Maron. His daughter is Marron. I'm almost positive it was a coincedence.

Goe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goe » Thu May 14, 2020 11:11 am

You are right about Filler Krillin character was Maron (マロン) and Krillin’s dougher was Maaron (マーロン, Marron in some occidental translations). I had a mistake thinking both have same name.

However, I still think Maaron’s name was an anime influence since both names are almost identical and both characters are female and Krillin-related.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu May 14, 2020 11:27 am

I think including Bardock was by far the best thing he did, as without it Goku wouldn't have had any personal connection to Freeza. That's not to say the hero has to have a connection with every villain, but it would be odd for someone like Freeza who has this history with the Saiyans to have 0 connections to the Saiyan who eventually beats him.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu May 14, 2020 12:20 pm

The driving school is later implemented with Goku suddenly driving in that week prior to Cell Games.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu May 14, 2020 12:33 pm

I... disagree. The episode shows him SUCKING SHIT at driving and NEVER making any improvement. If anything its a plothole.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ShaggyBlanco
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaggyBlanco » Thu May 14, 2020 12:50 pm

Movie 12 also "made" Toriyama create Vegito
What about the concept of the Potara?
Toriyama: That was simply, since Fusion was a plot point that was already taken by one of the movies, I was wondering what I should do; I had always been drawing earrings [on Kaiōshin], so I thought, “perhaps I can use these”…

Had you drawn them from the beginning, thinking that you’d use them as a fusion item?
Toriyama: No, not at all. They were just for decoration.
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... interview/

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu May 14, 2020 1:57 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:33 pmNEVER making any improvement.
Episode 172/Chi-Chi says otherwise.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu May 14, 2020 2:23 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:57 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:33 pmNEVER making any improvement.
Episode 172/Chi-Chi says otherwise.
Was this in the manga?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu May 14, 2020 5:54 pm

None of this driving stuff, apart from Goku himself suddenly driving, is in the manga.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu May 14, 2020 5:56 pm

I think its the opposite then. Goku was shown to be utterly hopeless at driving and the driving episode ended with the teachers saying Goku didnt need to drive since he was already so strong and capable of flight. Not to mention that they werent shown improving at all.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu May 14, 2020 6:04 pm

Not that you need everything to be shown. Chi-Chi is very clear in what she says, so I trust you can and will understand once you watch it.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu May 14, 2020 6:06 pm

It isnt readily available in my country. Dont assume everyone lives in the USA.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu May 14, 2020 6:45 pm

And you shouldn't make such wild assumptions either, since I don't live in the United States either.

That's not an excuse, though. Pretty sure wherever you live there is something called "Youtube", right? But don't worry, I'll make it easier, after a few seconds of searching, here it is.

~ Day of the Machines ~

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 14, 2020 7:07 pm

The attitude on display is so unnecessary.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu May 14, 2020 7:28 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:45 pm And you shouldn't make such wild assumptions either, since I don't live in the United States either.

That's not an excuse, though. Pretty sure wherever you live there is something called "Youtube", right? But don't worry, I'll make it easier, after a few seconds of searching, here it is.
It says its unavailable. Also I already tried it and it didnt work when I looked for the episode on my own. Sorry for just assuming you lived in the USA though. THAT was rude.

As an apology, you can quote the episode and I will believe you. I just need the exact quote.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu May 14, 2020 9:40 pm

In Dragon Ball Z - Episode 172, Kuririn asks how Goku got his licence drive and then Chi-Chi explains the whole thing. There is a flashback to the actual driving school scene/episode. After it ends, Chi-Chi acknowledges everything that was shown, including that Goku failed. However, as the image above shows and as she herself states, Chi-Chi convinced the instructors to teach Goku once again. It was off-screen this second lesson but since we see Goku driving in that same episode (which is the scene adapted from the manga), then it obviously means that Goku learned and improved his driving skills and is now allowed to drive.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri May 15, 2020 5:43 am

I'm not entirely sure if that's true, but I heard the name "Mount Paozu" was anime only, until Toyotaro has Goku reference it while fighting Jiren.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 15, 2020 7:08 am

Grimlock wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:40 pm Image

In Dragon Ball Z - Episode 172, Kuririn asks how Goku got his licence drive and then Chi-Chi explains the whole thing. There is a flashback to the actual driving school scene/episode. After it ends, Chi-Chi acknowledges everything that was shown, including that Goku failed. However, as the image above shows and as she herself states, Chi-Chi convinced the instructors to teach Goku once again. It was off-screen this second lesson but since we see Goku driving in that same episode (which is the scene adapted from the manga), then it obviously means that Goku learned and improved his driving skills and is now allowed to drive.
I'll be damned! You win this one lol.