Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 11, 2020 5:21 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:10 am After combing through this thread so much and absorbing all the juicy info, I'm debating weather it's a good or a bad thing that GT/OG DB haven't got a real home release since the days of DVD. Seeing how Funi treats their DBZ releases so poorly, i'd be afraid to see what they would do to poor DB or GT if they were to be crapped out to Blu Ray today by them. :crazy: :wtf:
FUNi hasn't done this because they don't currently have film masters of Dragon Ball and GT, only standard def digibeta tapes from the early 2000's.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon May 11, 2020 5:56 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:10 am After combing through this thread so much and absorbing all the juicy info, I'm debating weather it's a good or a bad thing that GT/OG DB haven't got a real home release since the days of DVD. Seeing how Funi treats their DBZ releases so poorly, i'd be afraid to see what they would do to poor DB or GT if they were to be crapped out to Blu Ray today by them. :crazy: :wtf:
It really depends. On the one hand, DB and GT haven't been bandied about with Funi's special brand of pig lipstick like Z has over the past 15 years. On the other hand, DB and GT remain locked on DVD in an age where people looking for anime on disc will spring for the Blu-Ray over a DVD every single time. About the only advantage to remaining on DVD is that they're cheaper to buy.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon May 11, 2020 6:35 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:21 am
FUNi hasn't done this because they don't currently have film masters of Dragon Ball and GT, only standard def digibeta tapes from the early 2000's.
There's no reason Funi couldn't either purchase film masters of DB and GT, or arrange with Toei to get some new HD transfers of some prints that Toei would most definitely have lying around somewhere.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 11, 2020 8:56 am

Robo4900 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:35 am
There's no reason Funi couldn't either purchase film masters of DB and GT, or arrange with Toei to get some new HD transfers of some prints that Toei would most definitely have lying around somewhere.
Yeah, it honestly surprises me that FUNi hasn't bought proper film prints or HD copies from Toei as of now. It's kind of odd how they've got film masters for DBZ but not the other two series because you would think at some point they would want something of higher quality across the board than those old digibeta tapes that are sourced from multi gen copies which obviously don't look as good as the original film prints.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Mon May 11, 2020 9:50 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:56 am

Yeah, it honestly surprises me that FUNi hasn't bought proper film prints or HD copies from Toei as of now. It's kind of odd how they've got film masters for DBZ but not the other two series because you would think at some point they would want something of higher quality across the board than those old digibeta tapes that are sourced from multi gen copies which obviously don't look as good as the original film prints.
it shouldnt, toei hasnt done it ether while they did do anhd demaster of dbz in the form of kai. db and gt just dont make as much money anywhere as dbz does so guess what gets attention from the likes of toei and funi?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 11, 2020 9:54 am

10gigtriforce wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:50 am

it shouldnt, toei hasnt done it ether while they did do anhd demaster of dbz in the form of kai. db and gt just dont make as much money anywhere as dbz does so guess what gets attention from the likes of toei and funi?
That's the unfortunate thing about it, because Z is the one part of the series that really took off back in the day more than anything else so FUNi put all their stock and effort into it and that's why it's been constantly re released over and over while the original series and GT sit off to the side and have only received two DVD releases each. Toei's done the same thing as well, because as the Japanese Dragon Boxes were initially being released back in 2003 rather than starting with the original DB first in sequence like they should've they instead did DBZ first in two volumes and the original series plus the rest later. Basically, Z has hogged all the glory for itself pretty much everywhere (when it's the latter part of one whole story) while the others are sitting at the sidelines being more or less ignored but only every so often.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Mon May 11, 2020 1:01 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:54 am

That's the unfortunate thing about it, because Z is the one part of the series that really took off back in the day more than anything else so FUNi put all their stock and effort into it and that's why it's been constantly re released over and over while the original series and GT sit off to the side and have only received two DVD releases each. Toei's done the same thing as well, because as the Japanese Dragon Boxes were initially being released back in 2003 rather than starting with the original DB first in sequence like they should've they instead did DBZ first in two volumes and the original series plus the rest later. Basically, Z has hogged all the glory for itself pretty much everywhere (when it's the latter part of one whole story) while the others are sitting at the sidelines being more or less ignored but only every so often.
Yeah its really infuriating since I LOVE dragon ball original. but on the other hand at least them sitting on the sidelines means they havent gotten as butchered as z has and we can buy serviceable versions of them still

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 11, 2020 2:11 pm

10gigtriforce wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:01 pm

Yeah its really infuriating since I LOVE dragon ball original. but on the other hand at least them sitting on the sidelines means they havent gotten as butchered as z has and we can buy serviceable versions of them still
Well that's at least a silver lining in all of this. Each of DB's and GT's DVD releases here have been overall decent for the most part even with their shortcomings though i wish FUNi and Toei both put more effort into marketing them alongside DBZ, but as you say they haven't been endlessly re released every few years the way Z has and being screwed up in their own way each time with the few legit decent releases (Dragon Boxes, Level sets) either running for a limited period of time and going out of print then becoming ridiculously expensive like the former or mishandled and canceled as the latter.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Mon May 11, 2020 2:25 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:11 pm

Well that's at least a silver lining in all of this. Each of DB's and GT's DVD releases here have been overall decent for the most part even with their shortcomings though i wish FUNi and Toei both put more effort into marketing them alongside DBZ, but as you say they haven't been endlessly re released every few years the way Z has and being screwed up in their own way each time with the few legit decent releases (Dragon Boxes, Level sets) either running for a limited period of time and going out of print then becoming ridiculously expensive like the former or mishandled and canceled as the latter.
I'd like to think there is atleast one alternate universe where there is a mystical DB home release. Like an ultimate, out of this world, un-realistic set that would only exists in the dreams of DB fans and collectors. DB + Z + GT all in one package, faithfully remastered, no BS with widescreen or water color DNR from Hell. :lol: :lol:
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 11, 2020 2:29 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:25 pm

I'd like to think there is atleast one alternate universe where there is a mystical DB home release. Like an ultimate, out of this world, un-realistic set that would only exists in the dreams of DB fans and collectors. DB + Z + GT all in one package, faithfully remastered, no BS with widescreen or water color DNR from Hell. :lol: :lol:
That's exactly what i'm saying, if FUNi were to release all three series in a good proper HD remaster now without being cropped to fake widescreen or DNR'ed to oblivion in a Dragon Box type presentation i'd absolutely buy them for sure.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon May 11, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Mon May 11, 2020 3:51 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:29 pm

That's exactly what i'm saying, if FUN were to release all three series in a good proper HD remaster now without being cropped to fake widescreen or DNR'ed to oblivion in a Dragon Box type presentation i'd absolutely buy them for sure.
But if they actually did that, the price would probably be insane if they were intending on only selling it as a complete set. If they wanted $350 for just the DBZ 30th set. A whole trilogy set might have double or triple that price :shock:
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 11, 2020 4:05 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:51 pm

That's exactly what i'm saying, if FUN were to release all three series in a good proper HD remaster now without being cropped to fake widescreen or DNR'ed to oblivion in a Dragon Box type presentation i'd absolutely buy them for sure.
But if they actually did that, the price would probably be insane if they were intending on only selling it as a complete set. If they wanted $350 for just the DBZ 30th set. A whole trilogy set might have double or triple that price :shock:
I was talking about more like separate series sets, one each for Dragon Ball, DBZ and GT. Something like how they did for the Dragon Boxes in Japan.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Mon May 11, 2020 4:42 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:05 pm

I was talking about more like separate series sets, one each for Dragon Ball, DBZ and GT. Something like how they did for the Dragon Boxes in Japan.
Oh yeah that would be the dream right there. Make it relatively affordable, convenient, and actually be able to be called "Definitive" outside of Funi's hokey marketing and jokes.

Coming in 2025. Dragon Ball Z : Definitive Deluxe Gold Special Edition Collector's Edition Limited Edition 2.0 4K HDR Mega Collection

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 11, 2020 4:53 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:42 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:05 pm

Oh yeah that would be the dream right there. Make it relatively affordable, convenient, and actually be able to be called "Definitive" outside of Funi's hokey marketing and jokes.

Coming in 2025. Dragon Ball Z : Definitive Deluxe Gold Special Edition Collector's Edition Limited Edition 2.0 4K HDR Mega Collection
I'd definitely be all for that, a properly restored HD version of all three series in the way that the 30th anniversary set should've been.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Thu May 14, 2020 3:12 pm

Just finished watching thru this entire set the other day. I don’t know if anyone else felt this way, but I thought the earlier part of the series looked really great. Somewhere in the middle of the Cell arc, I felt like the quality of the remaster declined heavily. It really made me miss the forgiving nature of standard definition. Either way, onward to GT!
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Thu May 14, 2020 5:06 pm

PacificOceanDub wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:12 pm Just finished watching thru this entire set the other day. I don’t know if anyone else felt this way, but I thought the earlier part of the series looked really great. Somewhere in the middle of the Cell arc, I felt like the quality of the remaster declined heavily. It really made me miss the forgiving nature of standard definition. Either way, onward to GT!
Just wondering did Funimation fix the issue with Tiens missing line on Season 3 for this 30th anniversary set?

Here's a link to the video clip below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b0h_TePk_w

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Thu May 14, 2020 6:35 pm

PacificOceanDub wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:12 pm Just finished watching thru this entire set the other day. I don’t know if anyone else felt this way, but I thought the earlier part of the series looked really great. Somewhere in the middle of the Cell arc, I felt like the quality of the remaster declined heavily. It really made me miss the forgiving nature of standard definition. Either way, onward to GT!
I've been watching through it aswell and I don't think the quality declines although I'm just at the end of the cell fight right now. There was however a flashback in the last disc I watched that had footage of gohans previous fights and it looked awful.

Like I've been overlooking a lot of the problems of this set but the footage in these flashbacks was awful.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Thu May 14, 2020 10:22 pm

Gdugz wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:35 pm I've been watching through it aswell and I don't think the quality declines although I'm just at the end of the cell fight right now. There was however a flashback in the last disc I watched that had footage of gohans previous fights and it looked awful.

Like I've been overlooking a lot of the problems of this set but the footage in these flashbacks was awful.
Flashbacks are gonna be at least a generation worse. It never seems to cross the minds of the "remaster" teams to splice in the original footage for flashbacks. It's the exact same photography; one's just worse looking.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Fri May 15, 2020 4:00 am

Zestanor wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:22 pm
Gdugz wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:35 pm I've been watching through it aswell and I don't think the quality declines although I'm just at the end of the cell fight right now. There was however a flashback in the last disc I watched that had footage of gohans previous fights and it looked awful.

Flashbacks are gonna be at least a generation worse. It never seems to cross the minds of the "remaster" teams to splice in the original footage for flashbacks. It's the exact same photography; one's just worse looking.
Yeah and it's such a simple fix too. Something somebody with 20 minutes of experience with Vegas could do.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri May 15, 2020 4:52 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:00 am Yeah and it's such a simple fix too. Something somebody with 20 minutes of experience with Vegas could do.
I'm somebody with 20 minutes of experience with Vegas! : D