"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Tue May 19, 2020 6:30 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:13 pm
What new powers?

His ability to drain planets and his opponents.

They are both improving and doing their training at the same time, from which we could deduct Vegeta will come right after Goku. Ain't that a little bit predictable? Is that really as such a progress in storytelling?

I mean both doing their own thing instead of one following the other. Goku training with Merus for UI while Vegeta trains on Yardrat for whatever it is he learned.

At this point, there has been no twist with Merus whatsoever.

I'm talking about him being an angle.

What is extra original about that, since we can already deducate his progress his immense from the first chapter he has shown us that on Yardrat?

My point is, DB usually relies on transformation, not techniques, so Vegeta doing that instead of transforming is something new.

Yes, but has it been proven the writer(s) are effectively going to do something intresting with him at this point?

I hope so, as he's clearly being saved for something.

Where are you getting this from it's a certainty?

He's interesting in that he can copy up to 3 abilities from different fighters, giving the writers a lot to work with if they decide to not only use him alongside Moro, but focus on him completely by having Vegeta take out Moro.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Tue May 19, 2020 6:41 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:59 pm
Mad Swami wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:54 pmAbsolutely agree. Moro arc is so refreshing and is the strongest thing to come from Super. IMO it's better than the Broly movie.
By far. It's such a shame Broly's great production value was wasted on a remake and not something completely new.
It's good and I do love it, just nothing really new. Biggest issue is Gogeta is a bit fan service like not really adding anything outside of a great fight. Also hate the retcon of Goku's origin

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Tue May 19, 2020 11:45 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:41 pm
Mad Swami wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:54 pmAbsolutely agree. Moro arc is so refreshing and is the strongest thing to come from Super. IMO it's better than the Broly movie.
By far. It's such a shame Broly's great production value was wasted on a remake and not something completely new.
It's good and I do love it, just nothing really new. Biggest issue is Gogeta is a bit fan service like not really adding anything outside of a great fight. Also hate the retcon of Goku's origin
While I get where you are coming from with your opinion on Goku’s origin, the broly movie wasn’t what made this cannon. Dragon Ball Minus had been cannon for years before the Broly Movie.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Wed May 20, 2020 12:56 am

DiscountDabi wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:45 pm
Mad Swami wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:41 pm

While I get where you are coming from with your opinion on Goku’s origin, the broly movie wasn’t what made this cannon. Dragon Ball Minus had been cannon for years before the Broly Movie.
sure but the movie solidifies it's cannonicity

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed May 20, 2020 11:21 am

The full chapter is out in English.

Based on how Whis and Merus were talking about Goku, I think it's clear that he's not getting back into UI. Whis says him using the full UI is out of the question at this point, and Merus says he went about this whole thing the wrong way.

There's enough here in regards to Vegeta, for me to say for the first time that I think he might actually pull this off without help. At first I thought he'd win but need help with the finishing blow, but I think he might pull that off as well. It seems like his technique is like Moro's in that he's able to drain the energy of those around him. Once that's done, he should have no trouble blowing Moro to pieces.

I think the big twist isn't going to be 7-3 saving Moro, I think he's going to take center stage. He already has both Gohan and Moro's abilities, so there's a lot of damage he'll be able to do with Goku down for the count and Vegeta being completely worn out after beating Moro.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Wed May 20, 2020 11:26 am

I wish we could have seen 17 and 18 do the Fusion Dance for a chapter before Vegeta showed up

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed May 20, 2020 11:30 am

Peach wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:26 am I wish we could have seen 17 and 18 do the Fusion Dance for a chapter before Vegeta showed up
Come to think of it, can Androids even do that ? I guess they're still part human, but I wonder if that might prevent them from doing so.

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Wed May 20, 2020 11:35 am

Matches Malone wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:30 am
Peach wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:26 am I wish we could have seen 17 and 18 do the Fusion Dance for a chapter before Vegeta showed up
Come to think of it, can Androids even do that ? I guess they're still part human, but I wonder if that might prevent them from doing so.
I'm sure it could work, though I'm not sure they would be able to damage Moro even combined. It was suggested they fuse with the earings during the survival arc, but because if the fusion was knocked out it would count as two fighters they put down the idea thanks to Whis's comment. They could fuse, but I'm not sure they would do any damage to Moro seeing as he doesn't seem to be damaged too much by them.
Last edited by Femme Fatale Kikaza on Wed May 20, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Wed May 20, 2020 11:44 am

I feel like Whis is trying to lead Merus away from the conflict. Like he's trying to go like' Maybe I can distract Merus so he doesn't try pulling a fast on me' and by closing tabs off on the fight, he's trying to lead Merus away so they don't have to focus on the 'angel code'. It's pretty obvious Whis is trying to pull Merus away from the Moro conflict because he has to keep the promise to the Grand Priest and keep Merus alive at all costs. I feel even when Merus feels compelled to intervene, Whis's presence is going to be a problem for him when it becomes obvious that Earth's fighters can't win. Merus may want to interfere, but Whis looming over his shoulder is going to prevent anything from getting done on his part.
Last edited by Femme Fatale Kikaza on Wed May 20, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed May 20, 2020 11:49 am

Chapter 60 thoughts

Another nice chapter. A bit slow, as I felt the Goku vs Moro fight dragged, but still a great chapter regardless and it finally progressed the plot (while last month’s barely did).

The fighting choreography was quite nice, I like how Toyotaro is making his fights “rougher”. They aren’t perfect, but he’s surely continuing to improve and his art too was quite great with, again, many interesting angles. I honestly have absolutely no complains about this month’s art!

The dialogue on Yardrat was also great. I liked Pybara’s phrase about how Vegeta is the way he is because of his hard work. I love it when it’s recognised that these characters have been training their asses off all their lives.

About the story, I think it’s quite clear where it’s heading: Merus will surely do something and break the Angel’s laws. That’s not subtle at all. What’s to discover is how exactly will Merus intervene? And when?

Moro is still saving 73 as a backup plan. And Vegeta’s technique will be something big which will play a very important part.
My theory is that Vegeta will defeat Moro, but as he will be dealing the final blow 73 will intervene to save Moro and thus the situation will switch again in Moro’s favor and Merus will be forced to do something.
There was also a subtle foreshadowing of Vegeta possibly sacrificing himself in this fight, back when he told Goku to make it his priority to first revive the Namekians in case he perished too.

The story’s definitely gotten quite interesting.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

YuseiFudou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YuseiFudou » Wed May 20, 2020 12:01 pm

Nice to see SSBE and those bulky muscles again!

I figured that Vegeta wouldn't bother learning how to use instant transmission, but it would've been nice to see him use it along with one of his moves. Instant transmission Galick Gun or Final Flash would've been nice to see! :D

Now I wonder what that new technique is that he learned, really curious to see it in the next chapter!

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed May 20, 2020 12:08 pm

YuseiFudou wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:01 pmNow I wonder what that new technique is that he learned, really curious to see it in the next chapter!
On Yeardrat he's shows pointing at Yardratians and they're on the ground drained of energy, so I think he's found a way to do what Moro does.
emperior wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:49 am My theory is that Vegeta will defeat Moro, but as he will be dealing the final blow 73 will intervene to save Moro and thus the situation will switch again in Moro’s favor and Merus will be forced to do something.
I have another theory. Vegeta kills Moro, but 7-3 gets behind him and takes whatever it is he learned on Yeardrat. This will result in him having Vegeta's powers, Moro's powers, and Gohan's potential. Obviously no one but Merus would be able to stop him.
Last edited by Matches Malone on Wed May 20, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed May 20, 2020 12:12 pm

I still don’t like Vegeta getting IT but him not using it again because he hasn’t perfected the technique and isn’t sure if he can do it again is much better than him just refusing to use it again out of misplaced pride.

Also I did love the panel of him in the trash can. That’s the type of fun humor I love in Dragon Ball

Also I remember an earlier spoiler made it sound like he was mocking the characters who fought Moro previously by calling them weak instead he was mocking Moro for preying on the weak. Maybe it’s a small difference but I think those little changes mean a lot and it’s why I should take my advice to not judge the chapter based on partial information.

I also liked Vegeta thanking those who helped him. It’s another small moment but it shows that Vegeta can appreciate that he couldn’t do what he did on his own. Something the old Vegeta certainly didn’t understand.

YuseiFudou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YuseiFudou » Wed May 20, 2020 12:15 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:08 pm
On Yeardrat he's shows pointing at Yardratians and they're on the ground drained of energy, so I think he's found a way to do what Moro does.
That's a good call. Either draining energy or possibly something that allows his energy not to be drained at all? Who knows :P

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed May 20, 2020 12:22 pm

emperior wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:49 am Chapter 60 thoughts

Moro is still saving 73 as a backup plan. And Vegeta’s technique will be something big which will play a very important part.
My theory is that Vegeta will defeat Moro, but as he will be dealing the final blow 73 will intervene to save Moro and thus the situation will switch again in Moro’s favor and Merus will be forced to do something.
There was also a subtle foreshadowing of Vegeta possibly sacrificing himself in this fight, back when he told Goku to make it his priority to first revive the Namekians in case he perished too.

The story’s definitely gotten quite interesting.

It's all kinda predictable what we are getting in the latest chapters:
Goku and Vegeta training, Z-fighters fight until Goku arrives, ,Goku vs Moro, Goku fails, Vegeta arrives ...

I am mainly looking forward to what's going to happen after the Moro vs Vegeta-fight.
I hope it's not Merus intervening, that would be as predictable as him being an angel, which we also have seen coming months in advance.

This chapter was better than last months with the Yardrat-stuff, which was quite enjoyable.
But it still feels like this story needs an unforseen twist to save it at the end.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed May 20, 2020 12:24 pm

emperior wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:49 am My theory is that Vegeta will defeat Moro, but as he will be dealing the final blow 73 will intervene to save Moro and thus the situation will switch again in Moro’s favor and Merus will be forced to do something.
I have another theory. Vegeta kills Moro, but 7-3 gets behind him and takes whatever it is he learned on Yeardrat. This will result in him having Vegeta's powers, Moro's powers, and Gohan's potential. Obviously no one but Merus would be able to stop him.
73’s abilities shouldn’t stack.
He would be a threat because he would be a 2nd Moro and Vegeta would probably be drained after using his new technique on Moro.
I could see this happening, but I also wonder if it wouldn’t be underwhelming to end it with 73 sort of becoming the last boss. Ideally Merus should intervene to defeat Moro, not a counterpart.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Wed May 20, 2020 12:37 pm

emperior wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:24 pm
I have another theory. Vegeta kills Moro, but 7-3 gets behind him and takes whatever it is he learned on Yardrat. This will result in him having Vegeta's powers, Moro's powers, and Gohan's potential. Obviously no one but Merus would be able to stop him.
73’s abilities shouldn’t stack.
He would be a threat because he would be a 2nd Moro and Vegeta would probably be drained after using his new technique on Moro.
I could see this happening, but I also wonder if it wouldn’t be underwhelming to end it with 73 sort of becoming the last boss. Ideally Merus should intervene to defeat Moro, not a counterpart.
Can't 7-3 only use one person's abilities at once? He only can use one every thirty minutes. Even if he stole all their powers, he can only use them one at a time,so unless he can hack himself to the point he can manage two abilities or more at once(Which would be ridiculous and an asspull seeing as it was established he can't use more than one ability at a time)

I doubt Vegeta will kill Moro, somehow Moro will have some ancient magic nonsense that he's never used and through the power of writing he will get the upper hand and whip Vegeta after Vegeta uses his special power.Or Vegeta will get cocky and leaves and opening for 7-3 to latch onto him and fuck things up in Moro's favor.

If Merus tries anything, Whis will be an issue as he's looming over Merus's shoulder. I'm not sure if Whis will allow Merus to do anything as he'll prevent Merus from interfering because of his father's promise. Merus's best bet is convincing Whis to let him go, but I doubt that'll happen cause Whis seems to care more about dragging Merus away from the conflict than allowing him to jump in.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed May 20, 2020 12:53 pm

Merus being the key to beat Moro is one of the main possibilities. In that sense it is predictable but I’d rather have predictability than a badly written plot twist personally

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Wed May 20, 2020 12:55 pm

So I only have one question with this chapter. I truly enjoyed it btw.

Whis says that the long cycle of Creation and Destruction are a natural thing in the universe. Agreed. That's what we have known since the Kais and Supreme Kais were introduced.

The only ones capable of intervening in matters of creation and destruction are Beerus and Daikaioshin (who made a small appearance and is apparently a big guy, yet he has been absorbed within Buu for years). So it's natural for Angels to not involve themselves given their role.

But why not help Earth? This leaves a plothole. It's not about the Earth itself. It's about the only freaking planet with capable warriors to take out Moro. Is Moro's destruction a 'natural' cause? This is kind of a cheap excuse. When he kills everyone will he stop destroying planets to get stronger? What if his lust for power takes him to other universes? What if Beerus isn't able to defeat him by that point? Does it have to reach that point for his lazy cat ass to take action?

When we know that the Grand Supreme Kai immediately tried to stop Moro via Buu when he escaped the Prison. Isn't Beerus being to apathetic?

Not saying for him to come and Hakai Moro, but I believe that he should show some more interest. Perhaps he enjoys the destruction that Moro causes, but I don't think that it benefits his Universe's mortal numbers or level or whatever. A reason for which Zeno would have erased U7.

Thoughts?
P O W E R

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed May 20, 2020 1:08 pm

-Chapter 60-

The composition in the beginning was awesome, but Toyotaro really sucks in making Ultra Instinct feel different from any SSJ form.
Goku barely dodges anything, keeps showing his emotions normally and powering up. Not being MUI can't be an excuse for this execution.

Vegeta learning IT was unnecessary and felt forced. Pybara should have just take him to earth.

Despiste this, I have to say the chapter was really entertaining.

There's no way Vegeta will finish this alone. Merus doesn't seem convinced by Whis' words and I doubt Goku will remain in the sidelines.
Seven-Three may screw up Vegeta's plans. I hope Beerus/Whis don't do anything though.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Wed May 20, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.