DBZ's Latin Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese Broadcast Audio

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tian
Advanced Regular

DBZ's Latin Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese Broadcast Audio

Post by Tian » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:38 am

Four days ago, ANMTVLA posted an article about the existence of this kind of audio.

I think quoting a part will sum that whole article up:
In the same way as the Japanese fans recovered a high quality audio thanks to the VHS recordings of the original broadcast of the series, I must inform you something similar has just happened in our territory. There are high quality recordings of the original broadcast in Latin America recorded by a fan, who is carefully digitalizing them to get what I've decided to christen as the "Latin Spanish Broadcast Audio".
Here are some samples:

OP1: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CZATPqOttFk

ED1: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AxAKyRgvEMY

EP239: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nUYBqVAy7Xk

What do you guys think about this?

EDIT: I edited the topic's title because this also just happened to our Brazilian folks:

Brazilian PT OP1: https://youtu.be/_COEm2yrNVk
Last edited by Tian on Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: DBZ's Latin Spanish Broadcast Audio

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:51 am

That's fantastic! The audio available (in a non-offical capacity) sounds like it was recorded off a TV via tape recorder.

I wonder if they can/will use it in an official release (if they can)?

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:53 am

Tian wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:38 am Four days ago, ANMTVLA posted an article about the existence of this kind of audio.

I think quoting a part will sum that whole article up:
In the same way as the Japanese fans recovered a high quality audio thanks to the VHS recordings of the original broadcast of the series, I must inform you something similar has just happened in our territory. There are high quality recordings of the original broadcast in Latin America recorded by a fan, who is carefully digitalizing them to get what I've decided to christen as the "Latin Spanish Broadcast Audio".
Here are some samples:

OP1: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CZATPqOttFk

ED1: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AxAKyRgvEMY

EP239: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nUYBqVAy7Xk

What do you guys think about this?
The great question is : will it be availlable for all latin spanish speaker? or will it meet the same fate as japanese one for DB and only be show as "sample" to others only in the way of teasing and will be retained privately? that's the big question cause what's the use showing to people what can't be purchased if the goal isn't to share? (no i am not targeting anyone^^)

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:58 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:51 am I wonder if they can/will use it in an official release (if they can)?
Unfortunately here in Latin America, we don't have any official releases. Maybe because of the piracy :(

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:00 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:53 am The great question is : will it be availlable for all latin spanish speaker? or will it meet the same fate as japanese one for DB and only be show as "sample" to others only in the way of teasing and will be retained privately? that's the big question cause what's the use showing to people what can't be purchased if the goal isn't to share? (no i am not targeting anyone^^)
From what I've read, this audio will be publicly shared.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:03 pm

Tian wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:58 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:51 am I wonder if they can/will use it in an official release (if they can)?
Unfortunately here in Latin America, we don't have any official releases. Maybe because of the piracy :(
Dang that sucks. Those "all of DBZ on 4 dvd sets in Spanish" are really bad and this audio deserves better for a physical release.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:25 pm

Tian wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:00 pm
HakkaiBills93 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:53 am The great question is : will it be availlable for all latin spanish speaker? or will it meet the same fate as japanese one for DB and only be show as "sample" to others only in the way of teasing and will be retained privately? that's the big question cause what's the use showing to people what can't be purchased if the goal isn't to share? (no i am not targeting anyone^^)
From what I've read, this audio will be publicly shared.
someone should take this as an example then, happy for latin spanish people that someone not selfish can gladly share with others his things instead of only teasing

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: DBZ's Latin Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese Broadcast Audio

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:51 pm

Also for reference, this is pretty much what they have
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcIpHkQZ1rs

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:06 pm

From what I heard, when Toei Animation started their business in Latin America on their own in the middle of the 2000s, they terminated their contract with Cloverway Inc., and Toei ordered them to hand over all the masters of the shows and movies originally provided by Toei, or simply dispose of them instead. They chose the latter, so the original masters of their dub have been lost as a result. Even though Toei doesn't have access to the original masters, they still continued to distribute Cloverway's dub by using some low quality TV rips, probably including pirated videos on the Internet.

Here's a comparison video I made: https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/11 ... XcMcAw.mp4

The former example is a rebroadcast on ETC in Chile that still uses a copy of Cloverway's old master. The latter from Canal 5 in Mexico sounds terrible, and it's not because of the compression. It really sounds like this on TV, and it's the legitimate master provided by Toei. You can even hear the sudden change in sound quality in the end of the recap, which indicates that they combined multiple sources.

There are copies of Cloverway's masters stored in several TV stations in Latin American countries, so you can restore the dub audio in the original quality by gathering them, but Toei seems to be too lazy to do so.
Last edited by kei17 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:23 pm

GOD I MISS CLOVERWAY SO MUCH!!!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

shinichi999

Post by shinichi999 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:28 pm

Hi everyone! I'm the one who is working on the project. I just published season 1 on "Meow"(plus ep 95 as bonus) with a full description in English and Spanish about the whole process. I'll post it here as well:
The Latin dubbing of Dragon Ball Z has not been well preserved. The sound tends to be very saturated, or muffled. In Toei’s “remastering” (from Funimation), all episode previews dubbed by Cloverway and Intertrack are eliminated and they mutilated the video cropping it to 16:19 for current standards.

This new project aims to restore all the content removed by Toei and Funi using the best quality audios available to date.

In the same way that Japanese fans recovered better quality audio than the official Toei version thanks to the VHS recordings of the original broadcast of the show, there are high quality recordings of the original broadcast in Latin America, which I have decided to christen as “Latin Spanish Broadcast Audio”.

Audios:

These new Latin Spanish Broadcast Audios come from digitalizations of tapes recorded in the late 90’s and early 2000’s of the original Dragon Ball Z broadcast by Megavisión in Chile (in Hi-VHS, Hi8, LD and DVD formats in the case of the episodes). We exclusively have a copy of the DAT master tape for the openings and endings Intertrack dubbing. Listen to these audios in a quality far superior to any TV capture (all audio credits to Lorum).

Likewise, these TV captures were made with the digital PCM track, and this makes the material have higher quality than any other current capture. As a reference, the current captures have a low kHz level in comparison. For example, Ecuavisa IPTV (8~10kHz), Canal 5 (16kHz), Willax (10~15~16kHz), TVX (16kHz), ETC TV (10~12kHz), Canal 5 HD (16~17kHz but with retakes) and City TV (12kHz), while the captures used in our project are in the range of 20~22kHz, (the human ear can hear up to 20kHz).

Here’s a comparison between the different audios:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLji00x5ZtE

This new Latin Spanish audio has been carefully synchronized, scene by scene, to the point of being a better synchronization than the Dragon Box and the official Toei Latin America edition (from Funimation). Subsequently, each episode has been reviewed in its entirety.

For the Japanese audio, we are using the Broadcast Audio present in the last synchronization (V3) of Team Mirolo (with audios from Fuji TV, Tokai and Ishikawa):

Both audios are in lossless format (FLAC) at 16 bits and 48 Hz. The Latin Spanish audio is in Stereo, while the Japanese audio is in Mono. Mirolo’s audios remain untouched.

Video:
In the case of the video, the latest iKaos RAWs are being used, which correspond to the Japanese DVD Boxes, being the most reliable edition as far as the original material is concerned. Its technical characteristics are:

MPEG4 Video (H264) 720x480 (4:3) 23.976fps

Episode previews:

Episode 1 through 35 have previews made from loops of the episodes themselves and they were remixed with the soundtrack (as they were never officially dubbed into Latin Spanish). As we progress episodes 36 through 60 will have previews made the same way.

61 and beyond already have dubbed previews in their recordings. A few episodes do have missing previews and will be replaced with the loop method we will use for the first 60 episodes.

The loops were carefully selected and adjusted to maintain consistency with the previews while preserving an appropriate volume level between the voices and the soundtrack.

Subtitles:

English subtitles are included for all episodes, corresponding to the Funimation’s editions (thanks to iKaos).

Dubbing:

Being an “analogous and old” dubbing, which began in March 1997 and ended in August 1999 (episodes 1 to 291), it has some editing errors, such as missing OSTs and/or sound effects and some misplaced loops. All these errors were also repaired (including an intact Broadcast version for the more purist, with the OSTs missing). As an example, we mention the song Battle-Colored Warriors from episode 20 (修羅色の戦士), which was removed by Intertrack in the dubbing.

Episode 95 is also included as a bonus.

This project aims to be a legacy for all Dragon Ball fans in Latin America and the highest quality version to date, both in audio and video.
I hope you find it interesting, and any question you have I'll happily answer it. Thanks for your support! :mrgreen:
Last edited by shinichi999 on Fri May 22, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:41 pm

You should remove the mention of that pirate site and other references to piracy. Kanzenshuu doesnt allow that.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

shinichi999

Post by shinichi999 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:45 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:41 pm You should remove the mention of that pirate site and other references to piracy. Kanzenshuu doesnt allow that.
Done. I did a previous search and lot of people talk about that site here (and I didn't see any warning about it). Anyway, I removed it. Thanks.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:47 pm

Thank you for being understanding and awesome. This is a great project!

shinichi999

Post by shinichi999 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:21 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:47 pm Thank you for being understanding and awesome. This is a great project!
Thanks dude! By the way, English is not my first language, so if someone wants to help me to improve the description and make it sound better, I'll really appreciate it! :wink:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:16 pm

Man, I'd shell out money to get the official Latin American release just like I'd shell out money for an official Ocean and Blue Water dub release. But alas, no such thing and we have to settle for unofficial rips from someone's VHS tapes as recorded from the series' run on TV. It's amazing how much dedication fans put into it. But here's the thing: there's obviously a market for it, but nobody wants to capitalize. Clearly Funimation isn't in this situation -- they take advantage every time they sniff money. I wish others would follow in their lead. Even if they cropped 85% of the picture and made it 21:9 with inverted colors, at least we'd have high quality audio and we know how to take it from there at this point. It's amazing how Funimation's treatment of the series has protested us to make the most out of a terrible situation.

shinichi999

Post by shinichi999 » Fri May 29, 2020 12:12 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:16 pm Man, I'd shell out money to get the official Latin American release just like I'd shell out money for an official Ocean and Blue Water dub release. But alas, no such thing and we have to settle for unofficial rips from someone's VHS tapes as recorded from the series' run on TV. It's amazing how much dedication fans put into it. But here's the thing: there's obviously a market for it, but nobody wants to capitalize. Clearly Funimation isn't in this situation -- they take advantage every time they sniff money. I wish others would follow in their lead. Even if they cropped 85% of the picture and made it 21:9 with inverted colors, at least we'd have high quality audio and we know how to take it from there at this point. It's amazing how Funimation's treatment of the series has protested us to make the most out of a terrible situation.
You got a point there. Fans from the US have been certainly really lucky about the preservation of their dubbing. In Latin America unfortunately, when Cloverway went bankrupt Toei itself had to take care of their dubbing and they did basically... nothing. Nowadays, there are lot of lost Latin American dubbings from Toei (or with a very deteriorated audio, as in the case of DBZ). That's the reason why this project was born in first place (and we hope to recover another series in addition to DBZ).

Anyway.. I'm an English teacher and not a native speaker, but I think my explanation here and from the "Meow" website is understandable. At the same time, I've been taking advantage of the 5.1 audio from Funi to restore some sound effects missing from the original Latin Spanish dub. I'm really looking forward to restore the entire show as the japanese fans did!

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:53 pm

I'm super late on this, but is the project still going?

shinichi999

Post by shinichi999 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:07 pm

Yes of course! The Frieza saga is almost complete. Look for the Facebook group ANICOM :wink:

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:34 pm

shinichi999 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:07 pm Yes of course! The Frieza saga is almost complete. Look for the Facebook group ANICOM :wink:
Sweet! I'll look for it now