The Dragonball Misinformation Thread.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sadala Elite
Banned

The Dragonball Misinformation Thread.

Post by Sadala Elite » Fri May 29, 2020 9:28 pm

Post and comment on any DB franchise myths, false rumors, dumb fan theories, etc that you ever heard of.

For instance, its 2020 and there's folks out there who still spread that myth that the Namek saga was the intended end, and that Toriyama was "forced" to continue past it smh.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: The Dragonball Misinformation Thread.

Post by WittyUsername » Fri May 29, 2020 9:54 pm

Continuing on from the myth that Toriyama intended to end the series after Freeza, the myth that he was going to end the series after Cell has also been fairly prominent, as is this notion that he was forced to bring back Goku because of fan outrage.

God
Banned

Post by God » Fri May 29, 2020 11:08 pm

People still believe "SSJ" is the proper acronym for Super Saiyan / Super Saiya-jin.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri May 29, 2020 11:54 pm

God wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:08 pm People still believe "SSJ" is the proper acronym for Super Saiyan / Super Saiya-jin.
Personally I don't see any problems with "SSJ." As a native Japanese speaker myself, I don't consider "Jin" as some sort of a grammatical suffix that should be omitted in abbreviations. Shueisha and Toei mainly use "SS," but it feels like a typical expression of the "Engish is cool" mindset among the Japanese. Also, "SS" doesn't sound nice in historical context.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat May 30, 2020 1:23 am

Toriyama was a lazy writer, who doesn't give a flying fck about his own creation🤭figures cuz dude continued for 11 straight fckin years

Piccolo was intended to be Majin fighting his pupil, Gohan

Fan-made power-level/digits/multipliers are still considered relevant after Frieza/Cell Arc

Boohan or Kid Boo? Which was the strongest version of Majin Boo🤣 and which "one" did Goku referred to in GT to estimate Rildo's strength. With lil help from fillers (SSJ3 Goku vs Bootenks/SSJ Goku vs Ultimate Gohan) and Funi Dub (SSJ3 Goku to Boocollo "you don't plan on beating me like that do you?")

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Sat May 30, 2020 1:45 am

The "Goten is Goku Black" theory is probably the all-time dumbest fan theory for Super lmao.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat May 30, 2020 1:52 am

The 3 most common ones are DB ending at Freeza or Cell, and Toriyama being "forced" to bring back Goku. There are others of course, such as Majin Piccolo, but these 3 have managed to stick around even today, despite all the info saying otherwise. Toriyama said as recent as 2014 that he didn't feel that the Cell arc was the right place to end things, yet a good number of fans still believe otherwise.
Vijay wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:23 am Toriyama was a lazy writer, who doesn't give a flying fck about his own creation🤭figures cuz dude continued for 11 straight fckin years.
This is the most insulting one, as these people clearly have no idea how much physical and mental damage a weekly manga does to an author. Toriyama had also spent an additional 5 years before that on Dr. Slump, making it 15 years of non-stop weekly work. You won't find anyone more dedicated and productive than a weekly manga author, especially those who spend a decade or more within the profession. It takes a lot of love for your story in order to put yourself through that process.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat May 30, 2020 1:56 am

The first Dragon Ball series is a sillier show for younger children while DBZ is for the "older, more sophisticated viewer".

Pilaf returns in DBZ as Garlic Junior.

Garlic Junior is an evil Namekian.

Broli is the strongest Saiyan.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat May 30, 2020 1:58 am

Goku was actually based on Superman

Akira Toriyama was inspired to make Dragonball by Naruto

The official guides say that SSJ4 is stronger than SSJB

Episode of Bardock is canon but Super isn't

Oh wait, you didn't mean a thread where we post misinformation, did you?

Sorry.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

God
Banned

Post by God » Sat May 30, 2020 2:01 am

kei17 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:54 pm
God wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:08 pm People still believe "SSJ" is the proper acronym for Super Saiyan / Super Saiya-jin.
Personally I don't see any problems with "SSJ." As a native Japanese speaker myself, I don't consider "Jin" as some sort of a grammatical suffix that should be omitted in abbreviations. Shueisha and Toei mainly use "SS," but it feels like a typical expression of the "Engish is cool" mindset among the Japanese. Also, "SS" doesn't sound nice in historical context.
Use it all you want, but that doesn’t change the fact that “SSJ” is a fan-created term while “SS” is the, as you yourself admitted, the official acronym used for Super Saiya(n/-jin) by Shueisha, Toei, V-Jump, etc. It’s like calling the UI form Goku is currently using in the manga “Omen” instead of Sign, which is the official name.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat May 30, 2020 2:38 am

God wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:01 am
kei17 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:54 pm Personally I don't see any problems with "SSJ." As a native Japanese speaker myself, I don't consider "Jin" as some sort of a grammatical suffix that should be omitted in abbreviations. Shueisha and Toei mainly use "SS," but it feels like a typical expression of the "Engish is cool" mindset among the Japanese. Also, "SS" doesn't sound nice in historical context.
Use it all you want, but that doesn’t change the fact that “SSJ” is a fan-created term while “SS” is the, as you yourself admitted, the official acronym used for Super Saiya(n/-jin) by Shueisha, Toei, V-Jump, etc. It’s like calling the UI form Goku is currently using in the manga “Omen” instead of Sign, which is the official name.
So then how can the word "SSJ" associated with "misinformation" that this thread is about? If you consider all fan terms wrong and approve of only official ones, it means that you should use dub names like "Vegito" at all times.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat May 30, 2020 3:31 am

MyVisionity wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:56 amBroli is the strongest Saiyan.
This may have been false a few years ago, but the new Broly is (currently) the strongest Saiyan outside of fusion. I know MUI could change that, but even then we're not sure, especially with Goku not fully controlling it yet.
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:58 amGoku was actually based on Superman.
Like the above, it may have been false in the past, but it's hard to argue that when Minus is taken into account.

God
Banned

Post by God » Sat May 30, 2020 4:50 am

kei17 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:38 am
God wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:01 am
kei17 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:54 pm Personally I don't see any problems with "SSJ." As a native Japanese speaker myself, I don't consider "Jin" as some sort of a grammatical suffix that should be omitted in abbreviations. Shueisha and Toei mainly use "SS," but it feels like a typical expression of the "Engish is cool" mindset among the Japanese. Also, "SS" doesn't sound nice in historical context.
So then how can the word "SSJ" associated with "misinformation" that this thread is about?
Because fans like to pretend "SSJ" is an official term that's used as an acronym for Super Saiya(n/-jin) when it's not. SS has always been the official term used.

And the difference between localized names like Kakarot or Kakarotto, for example, is that these names are official and have been used (English name vs Japanese translation), meanwhile SSJ has never been officially used and is just a fan-created thing.

The best and most accurate comparison to this whole SSJ vs SS is Mystic vs Ultimate (or Potential Unlocked / Unleashed). Mystic is a fan-term, just like SSJ, while Ultimate (or Potential Unlocked / Unleashed) is the correct term, just like SS.

God
Banned

Post by God » Sat May 30, 2020 4:54 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:31 am
MyVisionity wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:56 amBroli is the strongest Saiyan.
This may have been false a few years ago, but the new Broly is (currently) the strongest Saiyan outside of fusion.
Not anymore. Current Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan have all surpassed him in terms of the power Broly displayed. ToP Goku also would have stomped Broly if he actually had control over UI like he does now.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat May 30, 2020 5:42 am

God wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:54 am Current Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan have all surpassed him in terms of the power Broly displayed.
ok I get Goku and Vegeta because of current arc but Gohan did nothing since then so heck no.

God
Banned

Post by God » Sat May 30, 2020 5:52 am

Xeogran wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:42 am
God wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:54 am Current Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan have all surpassed him in terms of the power Broly displayed.
ok I get Goku and Vegeta because of current arc but Gohan did nothing since then so heck no.
He canonically beat a fused Legendary Super Saiyan in the ToP while only in his base form, and he's stated to be even stronger now. Current Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan all destroy Broly.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sat May 30, 2020 6:09 am

God wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:52 am
He canonically beat a fused Legendary Super Saiyan in the ToP while only in his base form, and he's stated to be even stronger now. Current Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan all destroy Broly.
Just say "in the manga" instead of canonically, it'll be much less confusing. Toyotaro uses as much liberties as Toei.

God
Banned

Post by God » Sat May 30, 2020 6:12 am

mute_proxy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:09 am
God wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:52 am

Just say "in the manga" instead of canonically, it'll be much less confusing.
What's confusing about what I said? Toriyama/Toyotaro's manga is the canon continuation of Toriyama's original story, which is why it's still on-going writing his canon story.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sat May 30, 2020 6:26 am

God wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:12 am
What's confusing about what I said? Toriyama/Toyotaro's manga is the canon continuation of Toriyama's original story, which is why it's still on-going writing his canon story.
Toriyama's story is the "canon" continuation. The manga and the anime are interpretations of said story, with creative liberties by other parties. They're equally as "canon", that's why it's best mentioning which interpretation you're talking about. The manga is ongoing because of marketing reasons, and there are a lot of unanswered questions regarding the legitimacy of Moro's arc being a Toriyama story and not a Toyotaro one (with some Toriyama help). The arc is ongoing for almost 2 years, and the extent of Toriyama's involvement is still unknown, which is very very unusual.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat May 30, 2020 6:44 am

Literally any and all notions of "canon" that are taken even vaguely seriously.

The Ocean dub actors imitating the Funi actors when they came back for the Westwood dub. (Yes, some people do seriously believe this; it tends to pop up in YouTube "DID YOU KNOW???? 50 AMAZING FACTS about DBZ!!" videos)

The idea that any kind of widescreen presentation of the TV anime is acceptable.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.