Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat May 30, 2020 6:21 pm

Sadala Elite wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:15 am - Much of the current new found love for GT among much of the fandom is largely driven by resentment/contempt for Super, not because GT is as good as they think it is.
I think that comes down to how some people's expectations change with time. As a kid I didn't love GT as much as Z because I loved the fights and I didn't like stronger characters not having as much to do in the conflict. Nowadays I appreciate the progression GT gave us with things like Vegeta moving on from wanting to best Goku, only wanting to surpass his limits and protect his family after seeing Super rehash said arc (although its not as strong this time since the original point of him being bitter over a low class warrior like Goku achieving Super Saiyan before him is gone).

I still enjoy Super and as a kid I would have adored it, but things like this make it more of a guilty pleasure as it's clear that GT put in more effort to experiment and take the story in new directions.

Tokunaga's score also blows Sumitomo out of the water any time any day.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Goten_jr
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goten_jr » Sat May 30, 2020 7:37 pm

Sadala Elite wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:15 am - Much of the current new found love for GT among much of the fandom is largely driven by resentment/contempt for Super, not because GT is as good as they think it is./quote]
I personally love GT but I do think Super is the better executed and more entertaining show esspecially in Terms of Fights and Characters but I like GT as an overall Concept way more and I agree that People definetly have started to appreciate it more since Super is out
I think most People would rate GT 6-6,5/10 and Super 7-7,5/10

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat May 30, 2020 8:18 pm

Feel the need to splurge a few out there:

- While a great game overall, Dragon Ball FighterZ has a horrifically boring story and is by far the worst part of the experience. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the memeworthy character interactions, but I still haven't beaten the whole thing because I just get so sick of it every time I play. Android 21 seems like a fairly cool character gameplay-wise, but she's not worth trawling through any more repetitive clone grinding with the same small handful of characters in an already tight roster. The meta-narrative with the player literally possessing the characters is creative but it also feels weirdly generic... like the same could apply to any video game and it doesn't have a lot to do with Dragon Ball specifically. I appreciate the effort to bother with a full-fledged story, but the whole thing feels unnecessary and made on the cheap.

- Tournament arcs are sick and I wouldn't mind seeing more, even though the ToP felt like a final evolution of the concept. Tournaments may be a very safe narrative formula, but it's a winning one and there's very few examples in Dragon Ball that I don't enjoy. The only one that I dislike is the Other World Tournament filler arc and even that showed some fun creativity.

- Putting personal bias aside, if Super Smash Bros were to have any non-video game native representative (I'm not saying it should, but hypothetically let's say it happens), Goku genuinely would be the best choice. Dragon Ball has an incredibly rich history in the video game medium, dating all the way back to the RRA arc. Masako Nozawa holds the world records for both voicing a single video game character for the longest time and for having voice acted in video games for the longest time period, all as Son Goku. Video games helped to keep the franchise alive when nothing was being regularly produced on TV or in print and Dragon Ball Heroes is still a huge hit in Japan. Inspiration from Toriyama's work is already felt in Smash, what with the Dragon Quest Heroes that he designed being playable. Gameplay-wise, fan projects like Super Smash Flash 2 already demonstrate the great moveset potential for Goku and I'm sure that Sakurai and the developers could add crazy exclusive mechanics like they have with most DLC characters.

Civic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Civic » Sun May 31, 2020 7:21 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:58 am
Civic wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:01 am Not sure if this is unpopular, but the Frieza saga is my least favourite of the four main sagas.
Did you watch it in Z or Kai ? If Z, then I completely understand.
I've watched both, most recently Kai. And even with Kai cutting out filler, it felt way too long.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun May 31, 2020 8:13 pm

Civic wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:21 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:58 am
Civic wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:01 am Not sure if this is unpopular, but the Frieza saga is my least favourite of the four main sagas.
Did you watch it in Z or Kai ? If Z, then I completely understand.
I've watched both, most recently Kai. And even with Kai cutting out filler, it felt way too long.
Really? I find the Buu saga feels the longest. Just due to it's poor pacing.

Civic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Civic » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:16 am

It's mostly the Goku vs. Frieza fight. It's just so drawn out in both versions.

Yo'Goodfella
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yo'Goodfella » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:55 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:18 pm
- While a great game overall, Dragon Ball FighterZ has a horrifically boring story and is by far the worst part of the experience. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the memeworthy character interactions, but I still haven't beaten the whole thing because I just get so sick of it every time I play. Android 21 seems like a fairly cool character gameplay-wise, but she's not worth trawling through any more repetitive clone grinding with the same small handful of characters in an already tight roster.

This is not really that unpopular of an opinion, at least from what I saw. What people sang praise about was not the story itself, but, like you said, the character interactions and especially Cell roasting everyone to a crisp. To which... Yeah, I am on the same boat. You have to drag yourself through two arcs before getting the actual story.

And... I consider this to be my unpopular opinion (I don't think I have many that can be considered as such), but while I was already put off by her mannerisms, Majin Android 21's appearances throughout the story made me straight up detest her.

Yet, I can't really say that I hate 21 since I do have to count her good side, which I liked quite a bit.

I think I'm kinda derailing... From what I've seen, the incredibly repetitive gameplay process turned off quite a bit of people. I'd say so because of the reactions I saw when people said they could finally buy 21. And the special skills for the UI raid boss moreso. So not many I saw have beaten the story either...
Pretty much a guy who has been really late on catching up with Dragonball and Fighterz.

I'm really not an expert on the matter, but I like to think.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:38 am

Yo'Goodfella wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:55 am
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:18 pm
- While a great game overall, Dragon Ball FighterZ has a horrifically boring story and is by far the worst part of the experience. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the memeworthy character interactions, but I still haven't beaten the whole thing because I just get so sick of it every time I play. Android 21 seems like a fairly cool character gameplay-wise, but she's not worth trawling through any more repetitive clone grinding with the same small handful of characters in an already tight roster.

This is not really that unpopular of an opinion, at least from what I saw. What people sang praise about was not the story itself, but, like you said, the character interactions and especially Cell roasting everyone to a crisp. To which... Yeah, I am on the same boat. You have to drag yourself through two arcs before getting the actual story.

And... I consider this to be my unpopular opinion (I don't think I have many that can be considered as such), but while I was already put off by her mannerisms, Majin Android 21's appearances throughout the story made me straight up detest her.

Yet, I can't really say that I hate 21 since I do have to count her good side, which I liked quite a bit.

I think I'm kinda derailing... From what I've seen, the incredibly repetitive gameplay process turned off quite a bit of people. I'd say so because of the reactions I saw when people said they could finally buy 21. And the special skills for the UI raid boss moreso. So not many I saw have beaten the story either...
Definitely. It's a shame that you can't play as Good 21 in any other mode. As the story goes on, you realise that Evil 21 is just a slightly more cunning Super Buu who slowly degenerates into being exactly like him. There's also the weird sexualised vore subtext of her design that creeps me out. Design-wise, I think she is one of the better video game original villains in the franchise.

And yeah, the clone grinding is the worst part. There's well over a hundred battles and they're all incredibly easy no matter the difficulty, making it more tedious to get through than fun, which is a shame because FighterZ has an amazing combat engine. Where did 21 get the resources to make all these clones? Kamino?

Locust
Beyond Newbie

Post by Locust » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:45 am

I don't know how unpopular some of these are but hey ho -

* I don't like that Nozawa voices so many of Goku's relatives/Goku-a-likes, as much as I enjoy her performances. For younger Goten/Gohan it's not so bad, but certainly for Bardock and Tullece - I wish they had chosen different voice actors
* I absolutely find the Android/Cell arc boring as hell
* Broly in the original first film he featured in, was a fine character, for the purpose he served - I don't get the hate
* I like the Bio-Broly movie. It's complete dogshit of course, not a good film - but it does scratch the primal itch I have for shity shlocky B-list horror movies

This is really more an unpopular opinion of a Dragon Ball fandom thing than a series thing but -
I see a lot of (usually Western, I have observed) fans really, really having kneejerk reactions to malexmale pairings and yaoi. It's fine if they are not your thing, but the way some people react is ... like you threw acid on them
I have never seen any other fanbase react quite like that, most other fandoms, it's just accepted as "yep, this is a section of fanwork that exists, I'll just ignore it since I'm not into it"
It's just a little odd to me, this reactions
"I just wanna punch god in the face"
My English can be weak, please forgive mistakes/confusingly phrased sentences
Letterboxd

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:27 pm

Locust wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:45 am I don't know how unpopular some of these are but hey ho -

* I don't like that Nozawa voices so many of Goku's relatives/Goku-a-likes, as much as I enjoy her performances. For younger Goten/Gohan it's not so bad, but certainly for Bardock and Tullece - I wish they had chosen different voice actors
* I absolutely find the Android/Cell arc boring as hell
* Broly in the original first film he featured in, was a fine character, for the purpose he served - I don't get the hate
* I like the Bio-Broly movie. It's complete dogshit of course, not a good film - but it does scratch the primal itch I have for shity shlocky B-list horror movies

This is really more an unpopular opinion of a Dragon Ball fandom thing than a series thing but -
I see a lot of (usually Western, I have observed) fans really, really having kneejerk reactions to malexmale pairings and yaoi. It's fine if they are not your thing, but the way some people react is ... like you threw acid on them
I have never seen any other fanbase react quite like that, most other fandoms, it's just accepted as "yep, this is a section of fanwork that exists, I'll just ignore it since I'm not into it"
It's just a little odd to me, this reactions
The first, I agree with & have stated as well multiple times. Most of the counter-arguments I've heard don't even make sense either. It might be that I don't even consider Nozawa the ideal adult Goku, even in Japanese. I'm sorry, but I just don't feel it. I respect her as a person Toriyama helped cast & she's a trooper with continuing the role for almost 40 years, but I just don't get it. Doesn't help that Super is the most exposure I have to her Goku & Super's scripts & characterizations are...awful when it comes to Goku's lines.
I'll add real quick that I don't think Sean Schemmel is exactly the ideal English Goku, as he doesn't nail Goku's more childish side when he tries to influence Nozawa's more high-pitched take for the comedy, but he wasn't casted for that aspect of the character back in '99, so I cut him some slack there. To keep Nozawa on as Gohan & Goten, especially as teens & adults, I feel, is pushing it, while Bardock & Turles is overkill. Bardock I can at least accept when it's a spin-off thing just with him. Turles, though, no.
All that being said, I absolutely love Nozawa's Goku Black. She's more reserved, in control, & I can feel the menace she has in her voice before it. The only time I feel Schemmel gets even close to emulating that performance (when he's not doing the dumbfuck inconsistent British accent for no reason in SSR), is in one of the later XV2 DLCs after his performance in Super set a better standard for him to act as for Goku Black. Future games that cover that content, or at least feature Goku Black are gonna have a much better Goku Black performance in English than XV2's inconsistent mess.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:21 pm

Yeah, Sub Goku Black >>>> Dub Goku Black. His character sounds very eerie, creepy, almost unsettling with Nozawa voicing him. I don't feel like he sounds as mysterious in the dub. Also, and I might be in the minority on this one, I loved Rosé Black's british accent in Xenoverse 2. I didn't find it weird at all. It made perfect sense with the idea that Rosé allows Zamasu's soul to truly come out, hence why he'd sound a lot more elegant and arrogant (the british accent is meant to resemble Zamasu's smug mannerism).

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:34 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:21 pm Yeah, Sub Goku Black >>>> Dub Goku Black. His character sounds very eerie, creepy, almost unsettling with Nozawa voicing him. I don't feel like he sounds as mysterious in the dub. Also, and I might be in the minority on this one, I loved Rosé Black's british accent in Xenoverse 2. I didn't find it weird at all. It made perfect sense with the idea that Rosé allows Zamasu's soul to truly come out, hence why he'd sound a lot more elegant and arrogant (the british accent is meant to resemble Zamasu's smug mannerism).
See, I get sounding more regal & elegant with Sean imitating James Marsters' speech patterns, but, at most, James only has more of an uppercrustness to his portrayal of Zamasu from his usual American accent. It's a lot like what Sabat's been doing for Vegeta since Kai's dub started production in 2010. However, Sean goes full RP British rather than just imitating James' speech patterns. It gets turned up way too much a lot in Super & becomes inconsistent when he switches between that & just imitating James' speech patterns. I need to rewatch the episodes to fully analyze it, but my opinion was that SSR inconsistently changed his accent, Sabat didn't put enough of a leash on Schemmel to get a consistent & great performance out of him, & it affects the quality of the dub for me.
Love James Marsters as Zamasu, though. Perfect casting, if more meta. I see James being a very good addition to the secondary cast of DB for future dubbed material.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:13 pm

Pretty much everyone I’ve heard from seems to agree that Nozawa really killed it as Goku Black. I’d argue that the character probably wouldn’t have been nearly as popular as he ended up being if it hadn’t been for Nozawa’s stone cold performance. Schemmel’s performance is a lot more wishy washy in comparison.

Locust
Beyond Newbie

Post by Locust » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:44 pm

Nozawa as Goku Black was masterful - so sinister, it was refreshing to hear Nozawa voice such a different character to what she usually voices in DB
She really did nail it
"I just wanna punch god in the face"
My English can be weak, please forgive mistakes/confusingly phrased sentences
Letterboxd

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:47 am

Oh I agree, James Marsters was great as Zamasu. My favourite scene would have to be this:

https://youtu.be/fc7Bw-5LxI4?t=64

You can just hear the sheer pain and anger in his voice, which is something that I didn't feel as much in the sub version. Not to take anything away from Shin-ichiro Miki, but I prefer how much more imposing Zamasu sounds in the dub.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:07 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:47 am Oh I agree, James Marsters was great as Zamasu. My favourite scene would have to be this:

https://youtu.be/fc7Bw-5LxI4?t=64

You can just hear the sheer pain and anger in his voice, which is something that I didn't feel as much in the sub version. Not to take anything away from Shin-ichiro Miki, but I prefer how much more imposing Zamasu sounds in the dub.
Miki set a high bar & Marsters matched it. Both are great for different reasons.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:24 pm

I'm not going to sit here and pretend like the Super dub doesn't have any issues, but they are blown wildly out of proportion by the fandom, and I get the distinct impression some people were just itching for an excuse to hate the FUNi dub again after they did such an excellent job on Kai that they took the first chance they got and ran with it to an unreasonable degree.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:39 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:24 pm I'm not going to sit here and pretend like the Super dub doesn't have any issues, but they are blown wildly out of proportion by the fandom, and I get the distinct impression some people were just itching for an excuse to hate the FUNi dub again after they did such an excellent job on Kai that they took the first chance they got and ran with it to an unreasonable degree.
Agreed, it's not quite as accurate to the level of Kai especially 1.0 but still nowhere close to as bad as the initial span of years when the FUNi cast was dubbing Z.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:53 pm

Is it an unpopular opinion to think that the Big Gete Star is actually kind of neat?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:02 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:24 pm I'm not going to sit here and pretend like the Super dub doesn't have any issues, but they are blown wildly out of proportion by the fandom, and I get the distinct impression some people were just itching for an excuse to hate the FUNi dub again after they did such an excellent job on Kai that they took the first chance they got and ran with it to an unreasonable degree.
Agreed. Though the Super dub made some missteps, it's overall solid. I even think they went out of their way to stick close to the source material at points. When the original Japanese version even sucks, it's hard to make it any better than to try your own things & see if they work at points. Like, there were some great meta castings (Brian Drummond, James Marsters), a good amount of accuracy in the lines, & an overall solid production. And, Kai's dub had some missteps too. I think people forget those because they're small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, just as most of Super's missteps are. The fact that Super was simulcast & people were allowed to absorb the material, as well as the Japanese cast & original material, for a while before the dub started production & broadcasted probably didn't help, unlike Kai.