"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:44 am

Nanatsu88 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:49 pm
MeMeDZEHH wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:39 pm Atsuhiro Tomioka the supervisor of the new digimon 2020 is confirming that the series will be airing for a year.

https://digimon.net/special/1/
Thanks for the info! Important news!

- Dragon Quest Dai broadcast in October on TV Tokyo channel
- Digimon confirmed only 1 year

This confirms that in July 2021 a new TOEI series should be broadcast on FujiTv at 9 a.m.

In April or May 2021 they must confirm which series will take their place. Hopefully it's Super's comeback.

Let's wait for news on this topic at that time.
April 2021 for the new serie. Digimon started in April 2020.
What’s to be seen is how the Covid hiatus impacts this. Will they reduce Digimon’s episodes so that the new show can begin in April?

Hopefully that show will be Super.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:56 am

emperior wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:44 am
MeMeDZEHH wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:39 pm Atsuhiro Tomioka the supervisor of the new digimon 2020 is confirming that the series will be airing for a year.

https://digimon.net/special/1/

This confirms that in July 2021 a new TOEI series should be broadcast on FujiTv at 9 a.m.

In April or May 2021 they must confirm which series will take their place. Hopefully it's Super's comeback.

What’s to be seen is how the Covid hiatus impacts this. Will they reduce Digimon’s episodes so that the new show can begin in April?

And why would super get on earlier because of this?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:04 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:56 am
emperior wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:44 am

And why would super get on earlier because of this?
Because of cours. If Super is returning then it would make sense to begin it in April with the start of a new cour especially if it’s meant to be running for long.

But I don’t know if cours are that important.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:37 am

emperior wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:04 am Because of cours. If Super is returning then it would make sense to begin it in April with the start of a new cour especially if it’s meant to be running for long.

Digimon's new episodes were delayed for almost 2 months, so chances are Super will be starting a bit later than that, unless it airs 2 episodes during certain weeks to make up for lost time.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:51 pm

emperior wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:04 am <snip>
Because of cours. If Super is returning then it would make sense to begin it in April with the start of a new cour especially if it’s meant to be running for long.

They do seem to be. Super itself followed cours, after all, starting in July 2015 and ending right before April 2018. So the question about Digimon possibly speeding up its pace in order to end right before April 2021 is a valid one (the alternative being to end right before July 2021, of course). I will say that it would be pretty funny if it ended right before July and set up one heck of a payoff for the "July 2019" meme, but there's no guarantee at all that Super would be the show to replace Digimon in the Sunday 9am time slot, it could easily just be anything else instead.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:40 pm

Alruneia wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:51 pm
emperior wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:04 am <snip>

They do seem to be. Super itself followed cours, after all, starting in July 2015 and ending right before April 2018. So the question about Digimon possibly speeding up its pace in order to end right before April 2021 is a valid one (the alternative being to end right before July 2021, of course). I will say that it would be pretty funny if it ended right before July and set up one heck of a payoff for the "July 2019" meme, but there's no guarantee at all that Super would be the show to replace Digimon in the Sunday 9am time slot, it could easily just be anything else instead.
What is 100% sure is that in April or July 2021 when Digimon finishes a new animated Toei production must take its place.

This does not mean that Super is the series but the possibility is real.

In addition there will be enough content to adapt from the manga. Approximately 7 volumes of 27 episodes of the manga.

27 episodes of the manga adapted to anime with a slower pace, opening introductory chapters (filler) and lengthening some fights can perfectly be 40 anime chapters. Almost a year of content following the manga exclusively.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:28 pm

When Digimon Adventure reboot ends, Toei will bring back Toriko because they don't seem to care about DB these days. And of course like any new Toei anime will have a more consistent production quality than DBS.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:50 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:28 pm When Digimon Adventure reboot ends, Toei will bring back Toriko because they don't seem to care about DB these days. And of course like any new Toei anime will have a more consistent production quality than DBS.
One of the producers said they were using this year to ensure DB would get enough pre-production time to ensure what happened with Super 1.0 won't happen again.

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:01 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:28 pm When Digimon Adventure reboot ends, Toei will bring back Toriko because they don't seem to care about DB these days. And of course like any new Toei anime will have a more consistent production quality than DBS.
It's time for people to understand that NO, it is not because TOEI messed up the first time with the schedule of DBS that it will be the case the next time. In fact, they learned from that.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:04 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:50 pm
One of the producers said they were using this year to ensure DB would get enough pre-production time to ensure what happened with Super 1.0 won't happen again.
Is that true? Do you have the quote?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:10 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:04 pm Is that true? Do you have the quote?
Ajay wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:31 pm The last word I have heard on anything DB-related was from a DBS writer who said:

"When we started Dragon Ball Super, Toei Animation thought it could be made easily. Because they have made it before and have succeeded. But that was a mistake. They did not make enough preparations, which caused trouble many times. And they negatively affected the overall quality. As you know, the quality of Dragon Ball Super was low. Three story arcs were needed to rebuild it. Toei Animation has learned a lesson. Dragonball is not an easy title, so it cannot be made without enough preparation. They need to have enough time to make it again. Please think positively that this year is absolutely necessary for preparation."

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:22 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:10 pm
Ajay wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:31 pm The last word I have heard on anything DB-related was from a DBS writer who said:
"When we started Dragon Ball Super, Toei Animation thought it could be made easily. Because they have made it before and have succeeded. But that was a mistake. They did not make enough preparations, which caused trouble many times. And they negatively affected the overall quality. As you know, the quality of Dragon Ball Super was low. Three story arcs were needed to rebuild it. Toei Animation has learned a lesson. Dragonball is not an easy title, so it cannot be made without enough preparation. They need to have enough time to make it again. Please think positively that this year is absolutely necessary for preparation."
Damn... I thought it was an official quote or something.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:34 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:22 pm Damn... I thought it was an official quote or something.
No one is more reliable than Ajay, so it's as official as an unofficial comment can be.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:30 pm

If TOEI is working on something during end 2020, beginning 2021, shouldn't it be the new movie they have promessed us first?
Would they have staff available to work on the new movie and new anime at the same time, which are basically their same top animators, people who have already been confirmed to work on Dragon Quest, which isn't on Fuiji TV but will still occupy them during that period?

I don't want to ruin anyones hopes, but if anything has learned us the past two years, it's better to be cautious before becoming hyped for nothing. Yes, Digimon will end within a year, but that does not guarantee anything directly concerning Super's return.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:57 pm

I really wouldn't be surprised if they decided to extend Digimon Adventure: considering how much of it was affected by the virus. Honestly, considering the creative energy behind it I'd be more than happy to just have more Digimon Adventure: than a Dragon Ball series likely fucked in the ass by Bandai and Shueisha.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:23 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:30 pm If TOEI is working on something during end 2020, beginning 2021, shouldn't it be the new movie they have promessed us first?
Would they have staff available to work on the new movie and new anime at the same time, which are basically their same top animators, people who have already been confirmed to work on Dragon Quest, which isn't on Fuiji TV but will still occupy them during that period?

I don't want to ruin anyones hopes, but if anything has learned us the past two years, it's better to be cautious before becoming hyped for nothing. Yes, Digimon will end within a year, but that does not guarantee anything directly concerning Super's return.
The top of TOEI animators are not assigned to only one series. Shida is working on DQ but did a cut on Digimon. Takahashi is working on DQ and World Trigger at the same time. Probably the same for tate and onishi who both worked on digimon. The staff are not fix beside the director and the CD. YES at the moment there is no indication that DBS will take the slot of Digimon, but people can have hopes.

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:03 am

MeMeDZEHH wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:23 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:30 pm If TOEI is working on something during end 2020, beginning 2021, shouldn't it be the new movie they have promessed us first?

The top of TOEI animators are not assigned to only one series. Shida is working on DQ but did a cut on Digimon. Takahashi is working on DQ and World Trigger at the same time. Probably the same for tate and onishi who both worked on digimon. The staff are not fix beside the director and the CD. YES at the moment there is no indication that DBS will take the slot of Digimon, but people can have hopes.
100% agree. Key animators like Shida have participated this year in One Piece, Digimon, and the DQ preview. It is entirely possible that at the end of Digimon a new Super series can be made with the Digimon staff and the key animations of those of all time.

The end of Digimon does not ensure Super, that is evident but the possibility that it will take its place is real.

The continuation of Broly is the Moro saga and that arc is too long to fit on film. Toei has a lot of material to adapt so there is a chance he will return.

The future movie that they commented should be after the Moro arc and if they don't adapt that, I don't see it as possible.
Also with Broly it has been shown that making a movie after a weekly anime broadcast raises a lot more money.

Taking out a movie after several years stopped the animated franchise will generate less money than with a newly released anime.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:22 am

Digimon just restarted, so if it's going to run for a year, Super (or whatever's taking its place) won't start until July.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:01 pm

Nanatsu88 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:03 am
MeMeDZEHH wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:23 pm

100% agree. Key animators like Shida have participated this year in One Piece, Digimon, and the DQ preview. It is entirely possible that at the end of Digimon a new Super series can be made with the Digimon staff and the key animations of those of all time.

The end of Digimon does not ensure Super, that is evident but the possibility that it will take its place is real.

The continuation of Broly is the Moro saga and that arc is too long to fit on film. Toei has a lot of material to adapt so there is a chance he will return.

The future movie that they commented should be after the Moro arc and if they don't adapt that, I don't see it as possible.
Also with Broly it has been shown that making a movie after a weekly anime broadcast raises a lot more money.

Taking out a movie after several years stopped the animated franchise will generate less money than with a newly released anime.

That's exactly what i meant.
The top dogs need some hands off especially for a fulltime DB, because it's just an intensive anime to produce.
There are a lot of battle sequences, which are difficult to animate, and the international expectations within the fandom about those action scenes are high, definitely after the standard both the ending of Super and the movie Broly have set.
TOEI staff will have to be able to combine a fulltime DBS with both fulltime Dragon Quest, One Piece and other projects.
DQ, One Piece and DBS would all require a lot of commitment from their best animators.

If the anime starts first, as you are suggesting, exactly when are TOEI going to produce that movie?
Within three to four years, when the second anime run has finished?
The movie was announced to us first, more than a year ago.
So they know the fandom expects a movie.
I frankly don't see them wait that long with it.

Are they going to produce the movie together with a new DBS anime, this while TOEI has several other major projects rolling?
I don't think that's realistically feasible at first sight. Moreso because DB-room director Iyoku has already stated 'they want to avoid to become burned out' when he announced the next big thing. Combining an all new anime and movie at the same time does not exactly fit within this intention.

I could be wrong, i frankly don't know for sure what TOEI's staff occupation will be within a years time ...
The best placed man to give judgment concerning this new development, i guess would INDEED be Ajay.
But he on his turn may be cautious now on this matter, which is perfectly understandable after what happened last year.

There is still a chance that one day there might be a new anime concerning DB.
The question may not be 'if' but rather 'when' ('when' might mean within 10 / 15 years as well).
It's quite ok to sherish hopes i guess.
But it may be wise not to convert hope into real expectations for a certain 'nearby' date just yet.
At this point i see no real indicator of DBS anime returning. Only wishful thinking.
The end of Kitaro in March this year for some people was the last straw to believe Super would return in April, despite the anorgasm Jump Festa appeared to be.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:48 am

Toei's animation calendar for 2021 got revealed and DB was last in the Nov/Dec slot with ToP stuff which implies we ain't getting anything in 2021 otherwise why would DB be last and be ToP? I get spoilers but if there was a new series why not have DB be the first month with ToP stuff. It also didn't have to be ToP it could have been generic DB stuff...

A weekly TV series for Dragon Ball is not needed anymore. DBS did it's job, it not only revitalised the DB IP but even made it go Super Saiyan! It has not had new material since Dec 2018 and it somehow is still the default main series branding for DB.
DB is not aimed at kids anymore it does not need a weekly tv series to stay relevant, no one is not suddenly going to stop being a fan because there is no weekly tv series anymore.

Think about it logically why would Toei incur weekly production costs for DB when all it's gonna do is reduce their profits? May aswell use that money to invest in other properties just like they're doing. Movies just make sense going forward.

Fact some fans think Toei don't care about DB is absurd. I would rather Toei take their time and make sure creatively everything is as good as it can be instead of taking the easy route and say adapting the manga arc, this isn't 2015 they aren't desperate anymore.