The push for GT at the end of Z

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

The push for GT at the end of Z

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:21 pm

I just recently got through re-watching Z and man...you can really feel right after the party at Bulma's, they start pushing that GT feeling hard! haha I personally really loved Uub a lot though and wished he could have had more focus in GT. but I'm just curious here. Do ya'll think Toei will actually END Z. because Super takes place after the defeat of Buu right? so it just makes me wonder if Toei will make that step and say ''okay. here is what happens AFTER Goku and Uub'' I know they kinda already did that with GT haha :P but ya'll know what I'm talking about. something new and that's not GT.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: The push for GT at the end of Z

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:29 pm

Why do you love Uub a lot?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:40 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:29 pm Why do you love Uub a lot?
I just like the idea of someone else besides Goku and Vegeta being the heroes and him coming from a small village trying to save them. :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:33 am

Despite Super clearly not lining up with GT, Toei still has yet to formally declare that, going as far as to recently state that Super takes place before GT. Toriyama has stated that as far as he's concerned, DB ends with EOZ, so the chances of him going past it aren't likely. Despite not having the best quality, GT is clearly successful for the companies involved based on how much it's marketed in games and merchandise, so I don't know if they're ready to step over it. With that said, Broly opened the door to any part of the franchise being rebooted to line up with what they're currently doing, so the same could happen to GT later down the line.

Personally, I don't know if I want GT to be re-written or stepped over. GT set out to explore the characters during their final days and give DB a definitive conclusion. Despite falling down every step and getting hit by a few trucks along the way, it achieved that goal, especially with the ending. The current mindset behind DB is to tell as many stories as possible, with as little substance as possible. If that'll be the mindset behind a "modern" GT as well, then I'd rather Modern DB just stay where it is and leave the post EOZ era to the GT we currently have.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:21 am

Gud topic

Before watchin GT...or even knowing how Z wud end..the manga & anime both felt like...another major story Arc is abt to unfold

You can complaint Boo Arc all you want, but you can't deny how badass Kid Boo Arc or portion of the manga being so badass & enjoyable. It really felt Toriyama pulled out his magic again & gave slight Android Arc/Cell Arc feels

Even after it ended, the way story was moving into 28th TB, it felt the Arc is again headed into another peak..and knowing it ended aiming towards another Journey, I couldn't ask for more.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:55 am

Vijay wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:21 amThe way story was moving into 28th TB, it felt the Arc is again headed into another peak..and knowing it ended aiming towards another Journey, I couldn't ask for more.
Toriyama said that's what he was going for, to give the impression that despite the story ending, the characters' journey would still go on. Despite BOG improving the ending for me, I can't help but wish it wasn't as open ended as it was.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:07 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:55 am
Vijay wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:21 amThe way story was moving into 28th TB, it felt the Arc is again headed into another peak..and knowing it ended aiming towards another Journey, I couldn't ask for more.
Toriyama said that's what he was going for, to give the impression that despite the story ending, the characters' journey would still go on. Despite BOG improving the ending for me, I can't help but wish it wasn't as open ended as it was.
Yeah, I know AT mentioned it in the last manga. Also, I think you told b4 that you liked BOG

I personally, don't give a fck abt BOG or DBS for that matter. Transition from DBZ Episode 287~EoZ was smooth. Starting with gathering @ Lookout, family gathering, 10 year time skip & our Z fighters joining 28th TB...just wonderful transition.

On the other hand, you have 5 year pre-EoZ time skip BOG that opened whole can of palette swap, turned God & deities into a joke. I'm not sayin they were useful in the past, but Toriyama has penchant to give an air of "higher beings" to Karin, Kami-Sama, Guru, King Kai despite giving them funny antics....sumthin which DBS made a joke. I don't care abt any single God of Destruction,fatass cat, anorexic cat, Beerus, weird lukin Toppo, Joker-rippof Belmot, whatever...

BOG was unnecessary imo. Just like ROF. DBS Broly was another mashed-up M8, Bardock special & voila, we got our muvie. ROFL 🤣

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:49 am

I don't give a shit that they gods are "a joke". Gods are dicks. And The Grand Elder isn't a god, he's an old Namekian.
I just like the idea of someone else besides Goku and Vegeta being the heroes and him coming from a small village trying to save them.
To me that says you don't like Uub, you like what he represents. And why do you want someone else to be the hero?

Anyway, there's something to be said for giving a story a conclusion and never revisiting it. That's why my hat is off to Bill Watterson. Hell, he didn't even license his characters.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:43 am

ABED wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:49 amThere's something to be said for giving a story a conclusion and never revisiting it.
I agree that a story should have a definitive conclusion, especially one as long as DB. Before 2008's special, DB had 520 chapters, 508 episodes, 17 movies, & 3 TV specials. I just don't think something as long as DB that had not one, but two conclusions (EOZ/GT) needed to return on a permanent basis. With that said, I don't have an issue with it being revisited in the form of one off stories every decade or so, especially if the original author is still alive.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:49 am

Vijay wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:07 am
Yeah, I know AT mentioned it in the last manga. Also, I think you told b4 that you liked BOG

I personally, don't give a fck abt BOG or DBS for that matter. Transition from DBZ Episode 287~EoZ was smooth. Starting with gathering @ Lookout, family gathering, 10 year time skip & our Z fighters joining 28th TB...just wonderful transition.

On the other hand, you have 5 year pre-EoZ time skip BOG that opened whole can of palette swap, turned God & deities into a joke. I'm not sayin they were useful in the past, but Toriyama has penchant to give an air of "higher beings" to Karin, Kami-Sama, Guru, King Kai despite giving them funny antics....sumthin which DBS made a joke. I don't care abt any single God of Destruction,fatass cat, anorexic cat, Beerus, weird lukin Toppo, Joker-rippof Belmot, whatever...

BOG was unnecessary imo. Just like ROF. DBS Broly was another mashed-up M8, Bardock special & voila, we got our muvie. ROFL 🤣
Z already turned these gods into a joke... the ancient Supreme Kai was a pervert.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:37 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:49 am

Z already turned these gods into a joke... the ancient Supreme Kai was a pervert.
Clearly you didn't read my post. Or got the point.

I said Toriyama made most God/deities in DBZ with a touch of humor & sarcasm. Supreme Kai was no exception

Not the garbage character-less, boring, cliche lame ass Goddo of Destructions of DBS

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:41 am

Vijay wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:37 am

I said Toriyama made most God/deities in DBZ with a touch of humor & sarcasm. Supreme Kai was no exception

Not the garbage character-less, boring, cliche lame ass Goddo of Destructions of DBS
Your point doesn't make sense in the first place. The old Supreme Kai is not a respectable deity with a touch of humor added to him, he is straight up a pervert who most of the time serves merely as comic relief.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:51 am

I asked this question about a year ago regarding revving up for GT at the end of Z and most people said that EoZ shows no signs of deviating from the manga in order to hype GT. The party episode (which... somehow I think I’ve never seen) is filler but I think it’s supposed to be “fanservice” and not padding. They put some extra effort into it, with some new character designs that lasted only a single episode.

On the other hand, there was padding even late in the Buu arc after the manga had ended. That padding was definitely for pushing DBZ’s end into the nee year 1996 so that GT could start around the time new shows start in Japan.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:11 am

Zestanor wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:51 amThere was padding even late in the Buu arc after the manga had ended. That padding was definitely for pushing DBZ’s end into the nee year 1996 so that GT could start around the time new shows start in Japan.
That wasn't the reason, as new anime tend to start at the beginning of each quarter, while GT started on the 7th of February. The Buu arc as a whole needed padding because the manga was extremely rushed, so having the anime version be close to that wouldn't have transitioned well at all.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:23 am

I don't think that it "pushed for GT" as much as GT springboarded off of end-of-Z. When people would complain about GT's use of Gohan and a more domesticated Begeta, etc., I always used to say that it really did pick up where TNT end-of-Z left off.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:25 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:41 am

Your point doesn't make sense in the first place. The old Supreme Kai is not a respectable deity with a touch of humor added to him, he is straight up a pervert who most of the time serves merely as comic relief.
Dude...I can't even begin to explain. See, you can awake a person who is asleep. But you can't when a person pretends sleeping.

Besides, you've defended Goku Black/Zamasu in the past. So I don't know how to start...look, I don't wanna portray myself as greatest Old Kai fanboy🤣...if he is who you call as Old Supreme Kai.

Wtever. Kamavanu. Old Kai imo commands respect for being responsible for some of series strongest protagonists, directly or indirectly. Period.

Ultimate Gohan, Vegito, SSJ4 Goku. Settled. Besides, dude knows how & when to settle things. When everyone doubted (Goku, Kaioshin themselves) Old Kai, dude surprised everyone by powering-up Gohan.

Noticing their trump card was toyed by Bootenks, Old Kai devised plan to sacrifice his life just to revive Goku, and even provided back-up plan with Potara.

I'm not sayin dude isn't some flawless masterpiece wannabe written character. Toriyama imbues his characters with certain gimmick, antics. Dats his touch. Karin-sama, a deity was tagged with mountain kid Yajirobe & often mocked as Cat God.

If ur irked so much by Old Kai's antics & remove all of the perverse or comedic touches, all you gonna get is another 1000+ Kami-Sama, Mr. Popo, Guru characters. Peace upon ya.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:42 am

Vijay wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:25 am

Dude...I can't even begin to explain. See, you can awake a person who is asleep. But you can't when a person pretends sleeping.

Besides, you've defended Goku Black/Zamasu in the past. So I don't know how to start...look, I don't wanna portray myself as greatest Old Kai fanboy🤣...if he is who you call as Old Supreme Kai.

Wtever. Kamavanu. Old Kai imo commands respect for being responsible for some of series strongest protagonists, directly or indirectly. Period.

Ultimate Gohan, Vegito, SSJ4 Goku. Settled. Besides, dude knows how & when to settle things. When everyone doubted (Goku, Kaioshin themselves) Old Kai, dude surprised everyone by powering-up Gohan.

Noticing their trump card was toyed by Bootenks, Old Kai devised plan to sacrifice his life just to revive Goku, and even provided back-up plan with Potara.

I'm not sayin dude isn't some flawless masterpiece wannabe written character. Toriyama imbues his characters with certain gimmick, antics. Dats his touch. Karin-sama, a deity was tagged with mountain kid Yajirobe & often mocked as Cat God.

If ur irked so much by Old Kai's antics & remove all of the perverse or comedic touches, all you gonna get is another 1000+ Kami-Sama, Mr. Popo, Guru characters. Peace upon ya.
You... do realize I am not complaining that he is a pervert, right? I'm simply pointing out that Gods can be very childish and immature at times, like when Supreme Kai had dirty thoughts about earthling women. In this regard, the Super deities who have a lot of screentime, such as Beerus and Whis, are not so different. Both of them can be serious when the situation demands it (like when Beerus threatened to destroy Krillin because he wouldn't cooperate with U7's team), but they can also be playful and silly in a more relaxed environment (like when Beerus was baby-sitting Bra in the Broly movie). Besides gods like Beerus and Champa are meant to be very childish and downright incompetent at their job, whereas the deities of the top universes are instead wiser and more mature.

And yeah, I "defended" Goku Black/Zamasu (more like pointed out facts), what about it?
Last edited by SupremeKai25 on Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:43 am

ABED wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:49 am I don't give a shit that they gods are "a joke". Gods are dicks. And The Grand Elder isn't a god, he's an old Namekian.
I just like the idea of someone else besides Goku and Vegeta being the heroes and him coming from a small village trying to save them.
To me that says you don't like Uub, you like what he represents. And why do you want someone else to be the hero?

Anyway, there's something to be said for giving a story a conclusion and never revisiting it. That's why my hat is off to Bill Watterson. Hell, he didn't even license his characters.
I can't tell if you're trying to pick a fight with me or not? I tell you I like Uub and explain why other than saying I like the way he looks, you still get that I actually don't like him? Huh? lol
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:14 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:42 am

You... do realize I am not complaining that he is a pervert, right? I'm simply pointing out that Gods can be very childish and immature at times, like when Supreme Kai had dirty thoughts about earthling women. In this regard, the Super deities who have a lot of screentime, such as Beerus and Whis, are not so different. Both of them can be serious when the situation demands it (like when Beerus threatened to destroy Krillin because he wouldn't cooperate with U7's team), but they can also be playful and silly in a more relaxed environment (like when Beerus was baby-sitting Bra in the Broly movie). Besides gods like Beerus and Champa are meant to be very childish and downright incompetent at their job, whereas the deities of the top universes are instead wiser and more mature.

And yeah, I "defended" Goku Black/Zamasu (more like pointed out facts), what about it?
Bro...the way ur speaking on behalf of BS Gods in DBS pull makes me think if you wud enjoy GT jokes as well? Do you?

Comedy is serious business. You missed the step, you fall flat (like most part of GT & DBS). You overdo it, turns annoying (again GT & DBS)

If lame 70's coinbox face Zeno or Joker ripoff Belmot & their "antics" seem funny to you..then peace upon ya.

So God's having dirty thoughts are crime for you? While allowing deaths of millions & planet Destruction for cakes, puddings is comedy for ya. Enjoy.

Besides, Zamasu/Goku Black himself is...I don't wish to exhaust myself with this one. Some other time maybe

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:22 pm

Vijay wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:14 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:42 am

Bro...the way ur speaking on behalf of BS Gods in DBS pull makes me think if you wud enjoy GT jokes as well? Do you?

Comedy is serious business. You missed the step, you fall flat (like most part of GT & DBS). You overdo it, turns annoying (again GT & DBS)

If lame 70's coinbox face Zeno or Joker ripoff Belmot & their "antics" seem funny to you..then peace upon ya.

So God's having dirty thoughts are crime for you? While allowing deaths of millions & planet Destruction for cakes, puddings is comedy for ya. Enjoy.

Besides, Zamasu/Goku Black himself is...I don't wish to exhaust myself with this one. Some other time maybe
I literally JUST said I don't have a problem with Supreme Kai being pervert, I am just pointing out that in many of his scenes he served as comic relief (I didn't deny he had a few serious moments, like when he sacrificed his life for Goku). Also what is your point about DBS Gods? That their jokes are not funny? I disagree, there are certain moments in which a deity in DBS made me laugh.

Also, you brought up Zamasu/Goku Black then don't want to explain why you did that? :?: