What's the definitive "Goku gets a one-sided ass-whooping" scene?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
LoganForkHands73
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 293
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:54 pm

What's the definitive "Goku gets a one-sided ass-whooping" scene?

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:08 pm

We all know Goku can take a good whoopin'. To an extent, he must enjoy it, considering how often it happens. We all know the scenario. Goku is putting up a good fight but his enemy has got a clear edge. Eventually backed into a corner, Goku is left at his foe's sadistic mercies. Which scene in the whole franchise, movies and all, is the most painful to watch?

Vegeta crushing Goku's bones as an Oozaru sticks out immediately. The anime especially conveys the sense of size and mass the Great Apes exude - they are pretty much kaiju after all, so the image of this massive beast stomping down on your legs just to prolong your suffering is... chilling. Goku almost looks like he's crying from the agony in some shots, and who can blame him. Both Brolys also put Goku through the mincer; in Z Movie 8, he treats Goku like a Goomba Tower, stomping his torso into the ground repeatedly. Then, in Super: Broly, Goku gets thoroughly Loki'd into the ice sheets. All this proves that Masako Nozawa is a convincing screamer and still has some lungs on her.
I am 999 years old. I don't give a f--

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6340
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: What's the definitive "Goku gets a one-sided ass-whooping" scene?

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:34 pm

It's gotta be the Piccolo Jr. fight - when Piccolo blasted the hole through his arm it got pretty gruesome.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4649
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: What's the definitive "Goku gets a one-sided ass-whooping" scene?

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:21 pm

Nothing beats Daimao breaking Kid Goku's limbs with rocks over the course of five minutes. The fight with Frieza pre-Super Saiyan is also a worthy contender, since the power of the Spirit Bomb comes from around Goku: he himself is still hopelessly outmatched.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: What's the definitive "Goku gets a one-sided ass-whooping" scene?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:10 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:21 pm
Nothing beats Daimao breaking Kid Goku's limbs with rocks over the course of five minutes. The fight with Frieza pre-Super Saiyan is also a worthy contender, since the power of the Spirit Bomb comes from around Goku: he himself is still hopelessly outmatched.
Thankfully on the former one he had forgotten Goku's left arm, so even with the other injuries already inflicted upon his other arm and legs Goku was still able to propel himself into the sky and punch right through Piccolo.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
Melee_Sovereign
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:43 am

Re: What's the definitive "Goku gets a one-sided ass-whooping" scene?

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:31 pm

Any scene where Chi-Chi is arguing with him.

Vijay
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1271
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:48 am

Re: What's the definitive "Goku gets a one-sided ass-whooping" scene?

Post by Vijay » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:37 pm

Dude..u must be a sadist to enjoy Goku getting his ass whooped 😂

As a kid, it was painful to watch Broly pummel Goku lol. M8 Broly

User avatar
Matches Malone
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1622
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: What's the definitive "Goku gets a one-sided ass-whooping" scene?

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:35 pm

Goku's first fight with Tao. This isn't brought up much, but it was the very first time Goku couldn't fight back, and would've been killed if not for the luck of having his 4 star ball where Tao attacks him.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: What's the definitive "Goku gets a one-sided ass-whooping" scene?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:40 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:35 pm
Goku's first fight with Tao. This isn't brought up much, but it was the very first time Goku couldn't fight back, and would've been killed if not for the luck of having his 4 star ball where Tao attacks him.
Indeed, it's entirely pure luck that he had the ball hidden under his shirt at that moment because the Dodon-pa would've surely killed him otherwise.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
Koitsukai
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Re: What's the definitive "Goku gets a one-sided ass-whooping" scene?

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:50 am

While Ohzaru Vegeta going with his giant finger for Goku's heart sure got to me, I guess Cooler stomping his torso by the lake is the one I like the most. Freeza never ran him over like Cooler, it was so aggressive, so brutal.

I think it is because of the animation but Vegeta Baby beating SS3 Goku back to base form always unsettled me. He looks so gummy and injured and then he gets a revenge death ball.

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6016
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: What's the definitive "Goku gets a one-sided ass-whooping" scene?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:43 am

If you're talking about fights where he stood no chance at all and never even came close to touching his opponent, only 3 come to mind: Mr. Popo, Kami, and his first fight with Beerus.

I guess several of his training matches with Whis would count as well.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
90sDBZ
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1964
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
Location: UK

Re: What's the definitive "Goku gets a one-sided ass-whooping" scene?

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:51 pm

His beatdown by Frieza once the latter goes 50%. It's so brutal to watch, with Goku taking knees and elbows to the nose, gutshots, getting strangled, used as a pinball, and almost getting drowned. He even gets karate chopped face first into the ground at one point. Frieza constantly taunts him throughout, and even powers down to a third of his maximum, just to further instill a sense of hopelessness.

All this makes the Kaioken x20, Spirit Bomb, and Super Saiyan transformation all the more iconic and satisfying to watch. The entire fight serves as a perfect metaphor for life itself, and sums up the "never give up" message Dragon Ball is famous for.

Goku vs Great Ape Vegeta felt like less of an "ass-whooping" and more like a straight up slaughtering.

Goku vs Piccolo Jr was brutal as hell, but I wouldn't call it the definitive ass-whooping, largely because it came from Piccolo getting in a cheap shot.

User avatar
coola
I Live Here
Posts: 2976
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 am
Location: Poland

Re: What's the definitive "Goku gets a one-sided ass-whooping" scene?

Post by coola » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:14 am

Slug smacking and tossing Goku around, before he went False SSJ, was pretty intense too.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

User avatar
Matches Malone
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1622
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: What's the definitive "Goku gets a one-sided ass-whooping" scene?

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:47 am

90sDBZ wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:51 pm
Goku vs Great Ape Vegeta felt like less of an "ass-whooping" and more like a straight up slaughtering.
You have to wonder why Vegeta considers that a loss for him, as he literally broke every bone in Goku's body, and still had plenty of energy to beat up everyone else afterwards.

User avatar
TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: What's the definitive "Goku gets a one-sided ass-whooping" scene?

Post by TheBigBoy » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:06 am

The fight with Oozaru Vegeta sticks out to me because Goku can't touch him outside of blowing out Vegeta's eye. It takes Goku almost completely out of commission but the fight still goes on with the others. It makes everything feel much more desperate and keeps the tension going. The other fights just kinda end after Goku loses or he gets his magical power up.

User avatar
Matches Malone
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1622
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: What's the definitive "Goku gets a one-sided ass-whooping" scene?

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:16 am

TheBigBoy wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:06 am
The fight with Oozaru Vegeta sticks out to me because Goku can't touch him outside of blowing out Vegeta's eye. It takes Goku almost completely out of commission but the fight still goes on with the others. It makes everything feel much more desperate and keeps the tension going. The other fights just kinda end after Goku loses or he gets his magical power up.
Another thing that helps it stand out is that it's the only time the villain actually wins. Vegeta manages to beat Goku to an inch of his life, he takes a spirit bomb head on, he takes down both Krillin and Yajerobe, and finally is able to cut off Gohan's tale. If Vegeta calculated where Gohan would fall, everyone would've been dead. Their survival depended completely on the slightest miscalculation on Vegeta's part, and luckily for them, it worked. If anyone says Vegeta never won any major battles, refer them to this fight.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: What's the definitive "Goku gets a one-sided ass-whooping" scene?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:25 am

Matches Malone wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:16 am
TheBigBoy wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:06 am
The fight with Oozaru Vegeta sticks out to me because Goku can't touch him outside of blowing out Vegeta's eye. It takes Goku almost completely out of commission but the fight still goes on with the others. It makes everything feel much more desperate and keeps the tension going. The other fights just kinda end after Goku loses or he gets his magical power up.
Another thing that helps it stand out is that it's the only time the villain actually wins. Vegeta manages to beat Goku to an inch of his life, he takes a spirit bomb head on, he takes down both Krillin and Yajerobe, and finally is able to cut off Gohan's tale. If Vegeta calculated where Gohan would fall, everyone would've been dead. Their survival depended completely on the slightest miscalculation on Vegeta's part, and luckily for them, it worked. If anyone says Vegeta never won any major battles, refer them to this fight.
Indeed, and the only thing that led to Vegeta's defeat there was because he just happened to be hovering exactly in the wrong place at the wrong time while Gohan was de transforming back to normal after the tail was cut off. Thus leaving him unable to move out of the way in time to avoid being crushed as Gohan was falling back to the ground so it was all due to a lucky error on Vegeta's part that they even survived that day to tell the tale.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
Matches Malone
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1622
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: What's the definitive "Goku gets a one-sided ass-whooping" scene?

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:42 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:25 am
Indeed, and the only thing that led to Vegeta's defeat there was because he just happened to be hovering exactly in the wrong place at the wrong time while Gohan was de transforming back to normal after the tail was cut off. Thus leaving him unable to move out of the way in time to avoid being crushed as Gohan was falling back to the ground so it was all due to a lucky error on Vegeta's part that they even survived that day to tell the tale.
Another miscalculation was Vegeta believing he needed to transform in the first place. If he knew that Kaioken destroyed Goku's body, he wouldn't have bothered making that fake moon, which means Gohan wouldn't have transformed into an Ozaro. By forcing Goku to use the Kaioken ×4, he beat Goku without even knowing it, going Ozaro was just icing on the already broken cake that was Goku. I wish we could get another fight like that where half the cast is dead and the other half is barely any better. Super's fights are extremely tame in comparison, as the heroes are (for the most part) always in control of the situation.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: What's the definitive "Goku gets a one-sided ass-whooping" scene?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:57 am

Matches Malone wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:42 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:25 am
Indeed, and the only thing that led to Vegeta's defeat there was because he just happened to be hovering exactly in the wrong place at the wrong time while Gohan was de transforming back to normal after the tail was cut off. Thus leaving him unable to move out of the way in time to avoid being crushed as Gohan was falling back to the ground so it was all due to a lucky error on Vegeta's part that they even survived that day to tell the tale.
Another miscalculation was Vegeta believing he needed to transform in the first place. If he knew that Kaioken destroyed Goku's body, he wouldn't have bothered making that fake moon, which means Gohan wouldn't have transformed into an Ozaro. By forcing Goku to use the Kaioken ×4, he beat Goku without even knowing it, going Ozaro was just icing on the already broken cake that was Goku. I wish we could get another fight like that where half the cast is dead and the other half is barely any better. Super's fights are extremely tame in comparison, as the heroes are (for the most part) always in control of the situation.
True, hence his realization after already thrashing Goku that the fake moon he'd created earlier wouldn't expire for a while more yet because Gohan's tail had already regrown during the course thus giving him enough time to be affected by the bruits waves and transform. Still though, as mentioned above Vegeta didn't exactly need to go Oozaru because Goku already put enough strain on his body powering up the Kaio-ken past the limit he had at the time.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
90sDBZ
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1964
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
Location: UK

Re: What's the definitive "Goku gets a one-sided ass-whooping" scene?

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:09 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:47 am
90sDBZ wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:51 pm
Goku vs Great Ape Vegeta felt like less of an "ass-whooping" and more like a straight up slaughtering.
You have to wonder why Vegeta considers that a loss for him, as he literally broke every bone in Goku's body, and still had plenty of energy to beat up everyone else afterwards.
Maybe because Goku no longer had a tail, which made it no longer an even playing field and not a "true" win for Vegeta. Had Goku still had his tail things could have gone very differently.

User avatar
Matches Malone
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1622
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: What's the definitive "Goku gets a one-sided ass-whooping" scene?

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:25 pm

90sDBZ wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:09 pm
Maybe because Goku no longer had a tail, which made it no longer an even playing field and not a "true" win for Vegeta. Had Goku still had his tail things could have gone very differently.
So it isn't fair for Vegeta to have an advantage (Tail), but it's fair for Goku to have an advantage (Kaioken) ?

Post Reply