How to properly watch GT ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ringworm128
Banned

Re: How to properly watch GT ?

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:57 pm

Just watch the series? :eh:

I don't get the idea of finding some random customized way of watching a series that was clearly supposed to be watched from beginning to end.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:00 pm

Ringworm128 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:57 pm Just watch the series? :eh:

I don't get the idea of finding some random customized way of watching a series that was clearly supposed to be watched from beginning to end.
Ironically, making a customized way of watching the show is exactly what FUNimation did when it aired on Cartoon Network.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:02 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:00 pm

Ironically, making a customized way of watching the show is exactly what FUNimation did when it aired on Cartoon Network.
FUNimation did a lot of bad things to GT but this one was probably the worst. Those early episodes contain most of character development and let Trunks have some spotlight in series. Not to mention how they confused entire fandom by counting M2 episodes as Baby saga even though they are still part of Black Star saga. Baby saga starts with Baby's debut.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:19 pm

FUNi skipping over the first sixteen episodes initially and condensing footage from them down to an abbreviated dub exclusive recap episode was in their minds an attempt to overcome the rather poor reputation GT had in the wake of the show's original broadcast in Japan, which they were quite aware of when they'd first licensed it. This move was right in line with the company's treatment of the franchise at the time and reflected as such when the first arc was branded as the "Lost Episodes" soon after even though they'd never actually been lost to start with. The powers that be simply chose not to release them at first. FUNi's advertising back in 2003 such as the infamous "YOU DON'T KNOW GT" trailer featuring the god awful rap song spoke to the mindset they went with in marketing the show.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:26 am

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:00 pm

Yes and everyone thought it was dumb.

It's like skipping to random parts of songs when listening to an album.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:06 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:19 pm The powers that be simply chose not to release them at first. FUNi's advertising back in 2003 such as the infamous "YOU DON'T KNOW GT" trailer featuring the god awful rap song spoke to the mindset they went with in marketing the show.
I don't even want to look that up, but I can imagine how cheesy it is. Obviously I wasn't around when DB first got big in the US, but Jesus seeing how it used to be advertised was so try-hardy and "RaDiCaL" it hurts :lol: :lol:
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:26 am

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:00 pmIronically, making a customized way of watching the show is exactly what FUNimation did when it aired on Cartoon Network.
I personally wouldn't have skipped as many episodes as they did, but 6-15 definitely needed to go.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:43 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:06 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:19 pm The powers that be simply chose not to release them at first. FUNi's advertising back in 2003 such as the infamous "YOU DON'T KNOW GT" trailer featuring the god awful rap song spoke to the mindset they went with in marketing the show.
I don't even want to look that up, but I can imagine how cheesy it is. Obviously I wasn't around when DB first got big in the US, but Jesus seeing how it used to be advertised was so try-hardy and "RaDiCaL" it hurts :lol: :lol:
I was and it's really that over the top and awful, though that tells you just how different FUNi was at the time with their adapting compared to the last decade with Kai and others.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:43 am

I wouldn't skip past anything on my first (or only) go around.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:37 am

Take a look, it's even more disgusting that they played GT's original theme and suggested their rap song is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFI2iER_WQ0
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:10 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:37 am
Take a look, it's even more disgusting that they played GT's original theme and suggested their rap song is better.

It's almost like they were giving a huge middle finger to the fansub/Japanese version fans by doing that. Seriously, i'm glad FUNi doesn't do those types of things when advertising their productions anymore. The ad clearly shows their effort to brand the show with a faux hardcore edginess, seeing as they were certainly aware of the show's not so great reputation after it's original run in Japan and this was the effort in their eyes to overcome those pre conceived perceptions. That they went back a few years later for the season set releases and completely ditched the rap in favor of dubbed covers of the original opening and closings showed how their practices changed in just that period of time leading up to Kai.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:53 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:37 am

I am speechless, so allow a meme to do the talking for me

https://gyazo.com/854e1d2527d57953ce69521d618d5b17
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:22 pm

They used VHS footage at the start. Is that from a fansub (lol illegal wtf?) or did they bake their footage onto VHS to make it look old?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:24 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:37 amTake a look, it's even more disgusting that they played GT's original theme and suggested their rap song is better.

There are very few things in life that have left me speechless, I can add this to the list. How on earth did no one in whatever hell they were discussing this not question the sanity of whichever creature who came up with the idea ? It's one thing to skip episodes that were unpopular in Japan (and even with the staff that made the show), but this ??? In the name of all that is good and pure, how did this thing get approved ? This right here is why we can't have nice things. Sorry for the rant but...never mind, I'll just stop here.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:36 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:24 pm
sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:37 amTake a look, it's even more disgusting that they played GT's original theme and suggested their rap song is better.

There are very few things in life that have left me speechless, I can add this to the list. How on earth did no one in whatever hell they were discussing this not question the sanity of whichever creature who came up with the idea ? It's one thing to skip episodes that were unpopular in Japan (and even with the staff that made the show), but this ??? In the name of all that is good and pure, how did this thing get approved ? This right here is why we can't have nice things. Sorry for the rant but...never mind, I'll just stop here.
I'm as utterly stunned about it as well, this is as much a textbook example of where FUNi was at as a company circa 2002/2003 as anything. The first time i saw that trailer on YouTube many moons ago (this was after Kai had already started it's run here) i had the biggest WTF expression ever and it's even now something that makes me question how did something so insulting and a direct slight toward fans of the Japanese version of the series even as flawed a show as GT is ever get approved.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:57 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:36 pmIt's even now something that makes me question how did something so insulting and a direct slight toward fans of the Japanese version of the series even as flawed a show as GT is ever get approved.
I'm surprised Toei gave the OK for this. I understand allowing companies to market things differently to certain countries, but what they were doing here was just making fun of the product. This is what you'd expect out of a meme, not an official commercial. GT is popular in America, now and then, so I guess it worked...somehow.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:03 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:57 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:36 pmIt's even now something that makes me question how did something so insulting and a direct slight toward fans of the Japanese version of the series even as flawed a show as GT is ever get approved.
I'm surprised Toei gave the OK for this. I understand allowing companies to market things differently to certain countries, but what they were doing here was just making fun of the product. This is what you'd expect out of a meme, not an official commercial. GT is popular in America, now and then, so I guess it worked...somehow.
I'm surprised by that too, it was basically FUNi saying 'We've taken this black sheep product and made it so much better." and the mindset of the era that went into their adapting the show which this trailer reflected. This really is such a stark contrast to where they have been around the last decade, and the idea that it must be all hardcore and stuff fits right in with their treatment and MO of the series in the era of Barry Watson and others in charge at the time.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:45 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:03 pm
I'm surprised by that too, it was basically FUNi saying 'We've taken this black sheep product and made it so much better." and the mindset of the era that went into their adapting the show which this trailer reflected. This really is such a stark contrast to where they have been around the last decade, and the idea that it must be all hardcore and stuff fits right in with their treatment and MO of the series in the era of Barry Watson and others in charge at the time.
Now i'm debating which is worse. Rock the Dragon or this GT rap :lol:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:02 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:45 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:03 pm

Now i'm debating which is worse. Rock the Dragon or this GT rap :lol:
It's tough to decide, while Rock the Dragon is a cheesy mid '90s song that sounds more fitting for an action cartoon of the time and did sort of fit the Ocean dub i personally believe that Step into the Grand Tour is the worser of the two. Thank god they later decided to ditch it entirely when releasing the season sets.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:40 pm

FUNimation was really trying to play up the idea that GT was this (as much as I don’t like to use the word) “edgy” follow up to DBZ. I guess they realized that the show as a whole didn’t seem to be all that popular in its home country, so they figured that they needed to play up the “coolness” factor. To their credit, it seemed to have worked, since GT did reasonably well in the United States, but the decision definitely comes across as extremely tacky by today’s standards. You can just tell how embarrassed FUNimation is by it all, since they didn’t even bother including the rap opening on the season sets.