Nozawa: her best possible goodbye as Goku

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Nozawa: her best possible goodbye as Goku

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:24 pm

Now, there have been some topics on this board in the past about this.
Quite a lot already. I think most would agree, although this is not an appealing thought, her role will be recasted at some point. Chances are high Dragon Ball may survive Nozawa as a franchise. Definitely if you think about it how close the DB-franchise is related to the character of Goku.

Although it is almost certain that this thought will come true, we should consider the circumstances under which it will best happen. I don't want to be too negative here, but especially think constructively under what circumstances her last performance as Goku best happened.
I personally would like her to be able to say goodbye as Goku.
By that I mean that she has an official goodbye, for example with a last film, and afterwards also gets a kind of farewell ceremony after the avant-premiere, as a kind of tribute for her work. What I might find successful in that last film or anime that she is acting as Goku, that there would be a wink in universe to her farewell. I've already wondered what that moment could be. Why not when the story passes the end of Z? For example, that could be an iconic and worthy moment to symbolically transfer the fakker to the next Seiyuu.

Although the farewell would be just as sad, I think it would be just a little more difficult to accept someone else in the role if she suddenly died (sure) or was forced to step aside because of having problems with her health or voice. If a new Seiyuu were to be active as Goku, whom she chose and guided along with her, it might be a little easier to accept the transition.

I know that the moment of the inevitable is coming someday, and she will be replaced. However, I have known periods of acceptance alternated with rejection of that idea. It remains a difficult thought to just accept. Some actors are simply one with their roles.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Nozawa: her best possible goodbye as Goku

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:28 pm

I know at some point there will come a time in which Nozawa gets to the point of not being able to do Goku (and Gohan and Goten) anymore and eventually pass on, thus where a recast to another seiyuu would inevitably happen. Though that said i believe she'll just keep pressing onward while still in relatively good enough health to continue with playing the roles primarily Goku seeing as he is pretty much THE signature part that she's had for over 34 years and counting, and that's especially the case considering her extensive 50+ year career in the industry going back to the late 1960's and a veteran of many popular anime series.

Simply put, while it will eventually happen so long as she still has the means to do the voices because there has been quite a few voice actors here who have continued acting well into senior age.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:41 pm

I thought I heard something about her having an understudy, though perhaps that was just speculation given the fact that it would only make sense at this point. I don't think anything particularly formal would be in the spirit of the series though, honestly. Toei tried it with GT, but finality just doesn't fit in Dragon Ball. I honestly consider her to be irreplaceable as the Son family, but like it or not the series has gotten bigger than any one individual. I have a feeling there will be a sudden switch in voices from one thing to the next, whether that be video game, film, or series episode.

Part of me does kind of want that band-aid to be ripped off on her terms, though. Get us as used to the replacement as humanly possible before the unthinkable happens. It would be devastating either way but at least we would already have some established continuity there.

Either way, she still sounds great and seems to be in excellent health. Objectively speaking, the lifespan of healthy Japanese people is some of the highest in the world. Still, I genuinely don't even like to think about it. :(
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:21 pm

Every time I see a thread like this, I always for a split second assume that something bad happened.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:23 pm

Jesus Christ, can we please stop predicting the death of women like this?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:01 pm

It could be hard to time such a thing. One could say something like "When Nozawa is 85, she should be given a goodbye movie because she probably won't be around or in good health for much longer," only for her to live to 103 and be in good enough health to voice Goku until she's 99 or 100.

I say just have her voice Goku for however long she's capable and willing. That could, potentially, be some years. The life expectancy for an 83 year old woman is 90, nonagenarians are the fastest-growing age group in some countries, and there's cases of people substantially older than Nozawa continuing to do voicework. Alan Young returned to voice Scrooge McDuck in the PS3 DuckTales remake of the NES game when he was almost 94, and he didn't really sound any different from when he was a vastly younger guy in his late 60s in 1987.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:34 pm

Dr. Casey wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:01 pm It could be hard to time such a thing. One could say something like "When Nozawa is 85, she should be given a goodbye movie because she probably won't be around or in good health for much longer," only for her to live to 103 and be in good enough health to voice Goku until she's 99 or 100.

I say just have her voice Goku for however long she's capable and willing. That could, potentially, be some years. The life expectancy for an 83 year old woman is 90, nonagenarians are the fastest-growing age group in some countries, and there's cases of people substantially older than Nozawa continuing to do voicework. Alan Young returned to voice Scrooge McDuck in the PS3 DuckTales remake of the NES game when he was almost 94, and he didn't really sound any different from when he was a vastly younger guy in his late 60s in 1987.
Yes, i believe they'll keep Nozawa around as Goku (plus Gohan and Goten.etc) for as long as they possibly can until her health or age gets to a point where it becomes too difficult for her to continue acting and a recast is needed. It could still be quite a few years yet before that happens so it's much too soon to be making a call on this when she's still got it in her and clearly can pull it off even if she's not as young sounding as before. As mentioned above, life expectancy especially in Japan is quite high and in general even much older people there can keep on so i wouldn't say it's really worth worrying over at this time.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:43 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:23 pm Jesus Christ, can we please stop predicting the death of women like this?
Are there any other women whose deaths people have been predicting or something?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:50 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:43 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:23 pm Jesus Christ, can we please stop predicting the death of women like this?
Are there any other women whose deaths people have been predicting or something?
I'm speaking generally, because this whole phenomenon of creating threads about when a some poor old woman is going to die is just fucking terrible.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:06 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:50 pm
I'm speaking generally, because this whole phenomenon of creating threads about when a some poor old woman is going to die is just fucking terrible.
Same, i feel that it's kind of morbid doing this type of thread now especially when Nozawa is still very much alive in good health and kicking. It could still be many years before she passes so no point in going on about it at this point. Yes there will be a point where she'll have to be recast, but it's not going to be in the immediate future.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Locust
Beyond Newbie

Post by Locust » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:16 pm

Oh christ the title of this made me think something happened to her

I truly am not bothered what her final performance will be - I just hope whenever she decides to stop voice acting, she has a kickass retirement and enjoys herself thoroughly
"I just wanna punch god in the face"
My English can be weak, please forgive mistakes/confusingly phrased sentences
Letterboxd

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:16 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:06 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:50 pm

Same, i feel that it's kind of morbid doing this type of thread now especially when Nozawa is still very much alive in good health and kicking. It could still be many years before she passes so no point in going on about it at this point. Yes there will be a point where she'll have to be recast, but it's not going to be in the immediate future.

It wasn't with that intend whatsoever towards negativity.
In the contrary:"What would be the best possible circumstances for her to say goodbye, if it has to happen anyway ..." was the question.
I personally like her "goodbye" to happen when the story crosses End of Z, when Goku flies away with Uub. That would be a good timing and
symbolically mark her department. Other people may have other thoughts about this. It was just an open question / reflection, quite frankly.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:21 am

I wouldn't want her departure from the franchise to be due to her passing away on the job, so hopefully she walks away on her own terms and gets to live the rest of her life enjoying the performance of whoever takes over alongside her loved ones.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:01 am

I also don't see an in-universe farewell taking place, at best a new movie will end with something that could be interpreted as a farewell, like Bulma voiced by Hiromi Tsuru watching everyone depart for the Tournament of Power. Not planned, but it works. I'm just grateful were still getting more Nozawa to this very day, I even keep up with Super Dragon Ball Heroes to continue hearing amazing performances from her.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:09 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:23 pm can we please stop predicting the death of women like this?
I'm not predicting death. I'm predicting retirement. Goku was a physically demanding role for the spanish and english actors at their physical peaks. I can't imagine how difficult this role is for an elderly woman. I think at some point, she'll want to retire.

The next movie might be a good place to retire. End on a high note with a giant production.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:00 pm

This. Like seriously, she's the same age as Morgan Freeman, and he's still narrating the universe and keeping it from collapsing. Nozawa's (like anyone) time will come when it comes. But until then, we ought to shut up about it.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:03 pm

it will be said if she passes away I think every dragon ball fan will be heartbroken.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:45 pm

Toxin45 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:03 pm it will be said if she passes away I think every dragon ball fan will be heartbroken.
If? I mean, she is only human. It's only a matter if time for us all.

Of course, I hope she lives as long as possible.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:41 am

Peach wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:09 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:23 pm can we please stop predicting the death of women like this?
I'm not predicting death. I'm predicting retirement. Goku was a physically demanding role for the spanish and english actors at their physical peaks. I can't imagine how difficult this role is for an elderly woman. I think at some point, she'll want to retire.

The next movie might be a good place to retire. End on a high note with a giant production.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nozawa has an extremely powerful voice and she has stated she doesn't get that much strain from voicing Goku. Her voice is a lot more powerful than the foreign actors.Just going by Chris Sabat and Sean Schemmel, she is an incredibly strong willed human being, she truly is Son Goku.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:37 am

Aim wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:41 am
Peach wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:09 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nozawa has an extremely powerful voice and she has stated she doesn't get that much strain from voicing Goku. Her voice is a lot more powerful than the foreign actors.Just going by Chris Sabat and Sean Schemmel, she is an incredibly strong willed human being, she truly is Son Goku.
I don't care who you are or were, screaming at the top of your lungs is physically demanding for an elderly person. The woman is almost 90 years old.