How would you have handled GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

How would you have handled GT?

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:01 pm

Even if you’re someone who considers thinks that making a sequel series was completely unnecessary, what direction would you say it should’ve gone in?

Zestanor
Regular

Re: How would you have handled GT?

Post by Zestanor » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:40 pm

I have no competence in this but I would have had Tokunaga write more music.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:57 pm

I don't have a full document of idea yet (maybe eventually) but some stuff off of the top of my head:
  1. Yama'uchi Shigeyasu as series director.
  2. Let Matsui Aya lean more into focusing on Pan and the other female characters.
  3. When Matsui leaves for maternity leave replace her with another woman, as opposed to a man.
  4. Reuse Kikuchi music until he's available to write new music.
  5. Let animation supervisors not adhere so strictly to the character designs. Look at what the contemporaries are doing--Yuu Yuu Hakusho was going nuts with its animation and directing.
  6. Actually plan ahead for important episodes, don't treat the whole series so shamelessly like its useless to create top-notch episodes.
  7. Less Gokuu unless you're going to give Gokuu a big curve ball character development.
  8. You're not Toriyama, so don't feel like you have to adhere so strictly to what he would not do.
  9. Let Vegeta keep the mustache.
  10. Let the boys be hot.
  11. Use more episodic storylines. Don't stretch a story arc out forever just because.
  12. Make the boobs bigger.
  13. Make the villains more heroic than the main characters, it's kind of perverted and funnier that way.
I've also got a few idea for what I'd have done for Dragon Ball Super if I'd had about 50% control.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:20 am

I would've put the franchise on hold for 2 or 3 years, to not only give the staff time to figure things out, but to also give the fans a break to prevent franchise fatigue.

Search for the Black star DB arc:

zekken1

Post by zekken1 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:51 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:20 am I would've put the franchise on hold for 2 or 3 years, to not only give the staff time to figure things out, but to also give the fans a break to prevent franchise fatigue.

Search for the Black star DB arc:
Hey your idea of them splitting up is really good actually, but i would still fin some way to incorporate Baby into this. He was a great villian.
I genuinely believe Dragon Ball is at the top where it is now because it has accurately and appropriately represented martial arts like no other anime & manga out there. Getting stronger through hardship & getting rewarded for hard work. And the show is funny & easily "digestible" people may say the plot is too cookie cutter sometimes & while I would very much like more grey elements and more mature story lines. The story's simplistic nature lends itself to be very easy to pick up.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:15 am

The two big things I would've liked to have seen are:
- Far better fights
- Pan be given a more apparent arc
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

zekken1

Post by zekken1 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:53 am

ABED wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:15 am The two big things I would've liked to have seen are:
- Far better fights
GT Had some good fights. Goku Vs Rildo, Goten Vs Baby, Vegeta Vs Goten & Gohan, SS4 Goku Vs Baby, SS4 Goku Vs Eis Shenron, SS4 Goku Vs Syn Shenron.
Alsio Majuub Vs Baby was okay, and SS4 Goku Vs Super 17 is a memorable fight due to the absorption gimmick.
I genuinely believe Dragon Ball is at the top where it is now because it has accurately and appropriately represented martial arts like no other anime & manga out there. Getting stronger through hardship & getting rewarded for hard work. And the show is funny & easily "digestible" people may say the plot is too cookie cutter sometimes & while I would very much like more grey elements and more mature story lines. The story's simplistic nature lends itself to be very easy to pick up.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:01 am

zekken1 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:51 amI would still fin some way to incorporate Baby into this. He was a great villian.
He's the reason Vegeta vanished. I'll right my outline a bit later for his arc.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:41 am

None of those fights were memorable. That's not a good sign. The only memorable moment in the 17 fight was the end where 18 spams 17 with ki blasts and Goku finds the opening he was looking for and finishes it. It was a solid payoff but still not a good fight beyond that.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:40 am

Make the story a little better by giving pan an character arc and some better fight scenes. Also don’t make gouki into a kid and give uub a more major role.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:22 pm

The Baby arc part 1:

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:07 pm

Uub would matter.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:09 pm

Oh, I was thinking, it'd be cool if the Evil Dragons arc was the first arc. A few years ago I even wrote a couple of rough ideas down into a document about how the story would work as a sequel to Dragon Ball Super, in fact.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:30 pm

Putting the evil dragons up front is climaxing early.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:53 am

The Evil Dragons being the final threat the Dragon Team has to deal with makes too much thematic sense for them to serve as the starter villains of a sequel series.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:04 am

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:53 am The Evil Dragons being the final threat the Dragon Team has to deal with makes too much thematic sense for them to serve as the starter villains of a sequel series.
Not when they're overarching and don't all die until the end. Start the series with them and use them as a wind to carry the Dragon Team across the stars.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Yosheets
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yosheets » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:12 pm

Honestly the only thing I would do is omit the Super #17 Arc.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:21 pm

Goku regaining his adult body after unlocking SS4. 3 arcs with Chibi Goku were too much for me.

Way shorter search for the db arc. The bonpara Brothers, yikes.

I would make the rest of the squad useful against Super 17. Why couldn't adult Gotenks be a thing? Or Vegeta cheat his way into SS4 during that time?

Against the Shadow Dragons DEFINITELY NOT have Goku and Pan deal with 6 of them. Why couldn't Vegeta defeat the ice one? Or the sun one? Include Gohan, Uub, Gotenks. Where were they?????

Better fights. I never liked how ohzaru Baby and SS4 played out.
I would make Goku less stupid vs Super 17.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:31 pm

Baby doesn't die by running into a spaceship and being blasted into the sun. That's weak sauce. He turns everyone on Earth into his willing slave and that's how it ends for him? How is that a fulfilling payoff?
Last edited by ABED on Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:32 pm

If I had to make the series from scratch in the 90's, I probably would've tried to strike a better balance between returning to the series' roots and continuing what it had become. Like how Dragon Ball Z's Namek arc had the characters going on an adventure to a new planet, I would've focused on adventure, kept the larger scale to combat, and been more reserved with the humor (while still having things be a little sillier than in Dragon Ball Z).