Nozawa: her best possible goodbye as Goku

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Toxin45
Regular

Re: Nozawa: her best possible goodbye as Goku

Post by Toxin45 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:12 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:45 pm
Toxin45 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:03 pm it will be said if she passes away I think every dragon ball fan will be heartbroken.
If? I mean, she is only human. It's only a matter if time for us all.

Of course, I hope she lives as long as possible.
You have a point but yeah we will see in the future

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:04 pm

Life doesn't work that way; in most cases people just die when our time comes, and that's the end of it - there is no such a thing as ending things on a high note, or something like that.

She should just voice the role(s) of her life for as long as she can, and her being replaced (I'm sure it will be someone just as worthy, and hardworking as Masako Nozawa) shouldn't be our concern.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:54 pm

Peach wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:37 amI don't care who you are or were, screaming at the top of your lungs is physically demanding for an elderly person. The woman is almost 90 years old.
I don't know a lot about being 83 given that I don't reach that age until 2070, but if she says that the role isn't that much of a strain on her, I'll take her at her word. I don't see any reason to assume she's lying or is somehow mistaken.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

Locust
Beyond Newbie

Post by Locust » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:02 pm

Dr. Casey wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:54 pm
Peach wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:37 amI don't care who you are or were, screaming at the top of your lungs is physically demanding for an elderly person. The woman is almost 90 years old.
I don't know a lot about being 83 given that I don't reach that age until 2070, but if she says that the role isn't that much of a strain on her, I'll take her at her word. I don't see any reason to assume she's lying or is somehow mistaken.
I believe her - I do metal vocals which including shouting/screaming/growling, when you scream properly, from your core/diaphragm, it truly does not harm your throat - only improper techniques will hurt you

I'm nowhere close to being in my 80s, but I'd be willing to bet that if she's doing the correct techniques, it probably doesn't bother her too much
"I just wanna punch god in the face"
My English can be weak, please forgive mistakes/confusingly phrased sentences
Letterboxd

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:13 pm

Locust wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:02 pm
Dr. Casey wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:54 pm
I believe her - I do metal vocals which including shouting/screaming/growling, when you scream properly, from your core/diaphragm, it truly does not harm your throat - only improper techniques will hurt you

I'm nowhere close to being in my 80s, but I'd be willing to bet that if she's doing the correct techniques, it probably doesn't bother her too much
Indeed, especially considering that she's been a seiyuu since the late '60s in an impressive number of anime series including Dragon Ball and thus likely knows the tricks of the trade like the back of her hand.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:54 pm

Psajdak wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:04 pm
She should just voice the role(s) of her life for as long as she can, and her being replaced (I'm sure it will be someone just as worthy, and hardworking as Masako Nozawa) shouldn't be our concern.

It depends how you look at it.

Technically speaking you are right in the sense we should mainly be concerned as a fan about what the end result of the series will be.
There are probably other Japanese VA's that could bring the roll as compelling.

If you look beyond the technical aspect, the series however would loose a great deal of it's authenticity with the loss.
If you look at it that way, i think it is a legit concern.

Donald Duck and Bugs Bunny basically still sound the same as 50 years ago.
That does not take away Bugs Bunny is Mel Blancs and Donald Duck is Clarence Nash.
They defined the vocal characterists of the characters, those who came after, not wanting to be unrespectful, basically were just copycats immitating the original voice.

When Nozawa dies, Goku will be the same but at the same time he will never be the same again and he will have died in a way.

And then there is the aspect of loss.

For me personally, it does make a far difference whether she says goodbye to the fans before a 300 episode-run, or we loose her in the middle of it. The older she becomes, the higher the risk it will indeed happen. Is it really needed? It would be devastating for the fans, for Nozawa, the franchise ... And for the new Seiyuu as well, those are far from ideal circumstances to start with.
Although the loss of Nozawa as such would be as severe, the imprint on the running series would be less severe if the new Seiyuu would be already active in my opinion.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:30 pm

Yeah, they will most likely find another seiyu who is already well known.

Just look at Bulma.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:07 pm

Psajdak wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:30 pm Yeah, they will most likely find another seiyu who is already well known.

Just look at Bulma.
Definitely, they got Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury's seiyuu Aya Hisakawa from the original Sailor Moon anime run and she was a good and worthy fit as a successor to Tsuru from what i have already heard of her as Bulma in the last film and final stretch of Super's episodes.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:13 pm

Hisakawa wasn't in Super series, though.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:18 pm

Psajdak wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:13 pm Hisakawa wasn't in Super series, though.
Oh right, for some reason i forgot that Bulma's last speaking appearance in the series was prior to Tsuru's death and the recast to Hisakawa didn't happen until Super was nearly done with production.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:43 pm

Dr. Casey wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:37 amI don't know a lot about being 83 given that I don't reach that age until 2070, but if she says that the role isn't that much of a strain on her, I'll take her at her word. I don't see any reason to assume she's lying or is somehow mistaken.
Not that I have any reason to doubt her, but I find it quite credible, considering the fact that... although she does sound different than she did in say, the 90's, it isn't necessarily bad and she can still scream just fine, and it doesn't sound super strained. I'm actually impressed as to how the most recent recordings of her screaming as Goku sound more than passable. And oddly enough, I feel like her current voice fits the Goku Black voice perfectly, it has a bass-y tone to it that hasn't always been present but it just works so well for that character. She's awesome.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:28 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:50 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:43 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:23 pm Jesus Christ, can we please stop predicting the death of women like this?
Are there any other women whose deaths people have been predicting or something?
I'm speaking generally, because this whole phenomenon of creating threads about when a some poor old woman is going to die is just fucking terrible.
We *do* have reason to do so considering her age. Before you get on about it, it isn't misogynist or sexist either. She's old and, unfortunately, will retire and eventually pass on one day.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:30 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:28 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:50 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:43 pm

Are there any other women whose deaths people have been predicting or something?
I'm speaking generally, because this whole phenomenon of creating threads about when a some poor old woman is going to die is just fucking terrible.
We *do* have reason to do so considering her age. Before you get on about it, it isn't misogynist or sexist either. She's old and, unfortunately, will retire and eventually pass on one day.
She's an actress, not a politician. Her health is none of your business.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:00 pm

If it’s any consolation, I’m fairly certain that people ask questions like this about men who happen to be old as well, such as Harrison Ford and Patrick Stewart.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:08 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:00 pm If it’s any consolation, I’m fairly certain that people ask questions like this about men who happen to be old as well, such as Harrison Ford and Patrick Stewart.
I never said otherwise?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:13 pm

I will ask on links on that. I never heard any of that. People like Leonard Nimoy performed until they died and there was never talks of a goodbye. I know some are genunely kind and love her but this narrative is that she-s an old woman who voices a young and badass guy ang that she should stop comes from sexism.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:29 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:13 pm I will ask on links on that. I never heard any of that. People like Leonard Nimoy performed until they died and there was never talks of a goodbye. I know some are genunely kind and love her but this narrative is that she-s an old woman who voices a young and badass guy ang that she should stop comes from sexism.
These are a few examples I immediately found.

https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comme ... s_now_too/

https://www.quora.com/Patrick-Stewart-i ... -about-him

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nextavenue ... 3187b246a5

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:37 pm

Cool! That is cool! I'm glad this isnt a Nozawa thing only then!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:53 am

Peach wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:37 am
Aim wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:41 am
Peach wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:09 pm
I'm not predicting death. I'm predicting retirement. Goku was a physically demanding role for the spanish and english actors at their physical peaks. I can't imagine how difficult this role is for an elderly woman. I think at some point, she'll want to retire.

The next movie might be a good place to retire. End on a high note with a giant production.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nozawa has an extremely powerful voice and she has stated she doesn't get that much strain from voicing Goku. Her voice is a lot more powerful than the foreign actors.Just going by Chris Sabat and Sean Schemmel, she is an incredibly strong willed human being, she truly is Son Goku.
I don't care who you are or were, screaming at the top of your lungs is physically demanding for an elderly person. The woman is almost 90 years old.
Nature is unfair, Nozawa will most likely last a crap ton longer than any of the other actors, take into account her health and just her crazy talent, she's not one to be underestimated. On top of all that, she loves what she does, she is Goku, she has said it herself, that mindset would make her job a hell of a lot easier.