At first I didn't care, but now I really wish for Toei to animate Moro arc...

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: At first I didn't care, but now I really wish for Toei to animate Moro arc...

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:52 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:45 pmWhen exactly have TOEI ever stated this, officially?
A producer said this to Ajay.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Re: At first I didn't care, but now I really wish for Toei to animate Moro arc...

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:11 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:52 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:45 pmWhen exactly have TOEI ever stated this, officially?
A producer said this to Ajay.

Last year, there were rumours, but since May 2019 the rumours have died down and thereafter were never confirmed officially by TOEI.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:33 am

God wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:41 am Be careful what you wish for. The minute the Toei adapts the Moro Arc that denounces the DBS anime's canonicity, since it's Toyotaro's story sprinkled in with Toriyama's general concepts, ideas, and approval. To most this shouldn't matter at all, but to those who still believe the anime that concluded on March 2018 is canon will be devastated.
I’d still count it as non-canon. It’s better that way imo. Toei is so bad at adapting Toriyama’s ideas, don’t get me started on Yamamuro.

A renew of Super would be great, or they go by Toyotaro’s version.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:22 am

Aim wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:33 amI’d still count it as non-canon. It’s better that way imo.
"Canon" isn't a matter of opinion, it's what the writer takes into account while writing. Goku has now mastered UI Omen, so the idea of going from Broly to what's after Moro wouldn't make sense at all, as the developments in Moro will be carried into future stories.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:25 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:22 am
Aim wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:33 amI’d still count it as non-canon. It’s better that way imo.
"Canon" isn't a matter of opinion, it's what the writer takes into account while writing. Goku has now mastered UI Omen, so the idea of going from Broly to what's after Moro wouldn't make sense at all, as the developments in Moro will be carried into future stories.
Toriyama didn't use kaioken or blue evolution in the Broly movie or the transformations from the manga, so i don't know if we are gonna see that.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:03 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:22 am "Canon" isn't a matter of opinion, it's what the writer takes into account while writing. Goku has now mastered UI Omen, so the idea of going from Broly to what's after Moro wouldn't make sense at all, as the developments in Moro will be carried into future stories.
Fuck, I meant the Toei Super from 2015 to 2018, if they started doing Moro, I’d really like to see them adapt it straight from Toyotaro like the days with Toriyama, I just want to forget about 2015 Super, that shit is a mess.

DevilKing99
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DevilKing99 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:36 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:25 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:22 am
Toriyama didn't use kaioken or blue evolution in the Broly movie or the transformations from the manga, so i don't know if we are gonna see that.
This, Goku also knows Hakai in the manga, there is no mention of Goku knowing the Hakai in any form media of outside the manga.

They don't even use the manga forms of anything even in Heroes.

Goku knowing UI does not mean anything because Toriyama does not follow the manga, neither does Toei and Bandai.

Honestly, Bandai does not use the manga for anything at all, it's like they don't even know it exists. It's not like they care about spoilers because they put characters like Shanks who have done no real fighting in all of the one piece games.

People were just making fun of the fact Toei spoiled things that happened a few chapters ago in the manga in the new One Piece opening, And Oda is way more uptight about things than Toriyama is.

It seems like Toei and Bandai are awaiting on Toriyama to come up with something or is already working on that movie.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:00 pm

DevilKing99 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:36 pmHonestly, Bandai does not use the manga for anything at all, it's like they don't even know it exists.
Not true. They use manga for references or when there's a lack of content.

The Beerus and Champa fight in the manga is in Heroes as a reference. By the time Champa debuted in Xenoverse 2, he hadn't displayed any technique in the anime, so they had to take it from the manga. Some dialogues is in Xenoverse 2 (Vados and Whis last training as well as the Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan bite tongue thing). I haven't played FighterZ or Kakarot (but I started playing Extreme Butoden and Fusions, so there's something for me to do) to know if there's more references to the manga.

But yeah, games never prioritize the manga (at least when it comes to Dragon Ball, which is the one I know about). You can tell that just by looking at the colors they use, they take it from the anime (blue Kamehameha, white Karin and etc). Curiously, this is one of the (many) reasons that set Dragon Ball Online apart from all other games.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:16 pm

Aim wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:03 pmI just want to forget about 2015 Super, that shit is a mess.
Trust me, those days are long behind us. :thumbup:

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:14 pm

I've been enjoying the Moro arc and really hope they animate it too. Hopefuly they do it in seasons instead of making it a weekly year round series so episodes can have higher production budgets.

Incarnate
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Incarnate » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:32 pm

What's the point? They'll just ruin and censor the whole thing. I'm happy with the way the Moro Arc is now, in all its manga glory.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:54 pm

Incarnate wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:32 pm What's the point? They'll just ruin and censor the whole thing. I'm happy with the way the Moro Arc is now, in all its manga glory.
Not if the time slot is moved. Whether we like it or not, Toei will most likely be adapting the Moro Arc.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:44 am

Aim wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:54 pm Not if the time slot is moved. Whether we like it or not, Toei will most likely be adapting the Moro Arc.
The timeslot isn't actually the reason for modern censorship. Toei has deliberately toned things down for western audiences.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:04 am

They will animate it unfortunately but I really hope Toei fixes it.

With a lot of reworking it can become a decent arc.

DevilKing99
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DevilKing99 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:43 am

ZombieVito wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:04 am They will animate it unfortunately but I really hope Toei fixes it.

With a lot of reworking it can become a decent arc.
Like if they animate it give Moro some type of relationship with his goons.

Speaking of his goons, give them more character to, I haven't even seen fan art of them anywhere and I check out DBZ Reddit every day, which means nobody cares about them, there might be art of 73, but he looks like Hit who is very popular though.

And give Moro more character to, this dude Moro has been the main villain since 2018 and it's now almost 2021 and he has no character at all outside of being evil.

Honestly, outside of Merus this arc has been a waste of time, UI was boring and was used horribly, Vegeta's technique was useless and is going to be completely nerfed anyways.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:24 am

DevilKing99 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:43 am Like if they animate it give Moro some type of relationship with his goons.

Speaking of his goons, give them more character to, I haven't even seen fan art of them anywhere and I check out DBZ Reddit every day, which means nobody cares about them, there might be art of 73, but he looks like Hit who is very popular though.

And give Moro more character to, this dude Moro has been the main villain since 2018 and it's now almost 2021 and he has no character at all outside of being evil.

Honestly, outside of Merus this arc has been a waste of time, UI was boring and was used horribly, Vegeta's technique was useless and is going to be completely nerfed anyways.
You just can't have good writing with Toyotaro. It's impossible. Dude can't write characters at all.

Has moro even done a single original magic thing in the entire arc? And yes, he's just eveil for the sake of it.

Lol, Spirit Fission was already nerfed a chapter later. It has to inflict damage to work so if you try it against a much stronger fusion than you then you are screwed.

P.S. Toei will fix it.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:34 am

Dragon Wukong wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:44 am The timeslot isn't actually the reason for modern censorship. Toei has deliberately toned things down for western audiences.
Why am I not surprised.

Strange, they literally swear in the dub even when there's no such word in the original script, for fucks sake, can't Toei just...*breathe*

I guess they are literally okay with an "official" dub parodying the series yet they won't even add blood, even more, it's disgusting how they choose to exclude blood but add Roshi being a fucking rapist in a kids show, filth.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:30 pm

Moro is about as boring of a villain as you can get. If he ever gets adapted into the anime, I would hope that Toei would have the sense to give him some character.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:30 pm

Okay, so there's a position in this topic that I totally get, which is that Dragon Ball Super belongs as much in anime format as it does in manga, that the anime format has plenty of things going for it that the manga can't do (such as the urgency of movement and the like), and that it would simply be cool and enjoyable for there to be an anime version of the Moro arc. Some people also maintain they'd enjoy it more than the manga, and that's fine too, since we're still in the realms of simple personal preference.

But then, there's this weird other take I'm seeing, which has it that the Moro arc is some sort of disaster in the manga (for...reasons), and that a putative anime version will somehow "fix" it. And it's this take that I just can't get on board with, for a number of reasons.

Firstly, the idea that the Moro arc is all that bad is questionable. Is it Dragon Ball's (or even Dragon Ball Super's) zenith? Nope. Is it a generally competently executed arc, with its fair share of more and less skilfully deployed plot points? I'd say so. Is it enjoyable? I think it is, on the whole. I don't know that I'd call it wildly exciting or super-gripping, but I find it engaging and, for want of a better word, pretty "good". I just don't recognise the dumpster fire that apparently some people can see in this arc, and several of the reasons behind this judgement seem really quite unconvincing.

Moreover, on the basis of its overall form up to this point, I really don't see how anyone can claim with a straight face that the anime is surely going to "fix" whatever it is that ails the Moro arc. What possible reason can be given for this assurance, given the many flaws that have been evidenced in the anime release of Dragon Ball Super so far? If the claim were just that people had confidence that they'd get a (similarly but differently flawed) work in a way that they think they would nevertheless enjoy more, I'd understand a claim like that, but to say it will "fix" anything is to say that an anime version would address your problems with the arc (again, why would it do that?) and be in some way objectively better than the manga's offering.

For the life of me, I just don't see it.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:47 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:30 pm Okay, so there's a position in this topic that I totally get, which is that Dragon Ball Super belongs as much in anime format as it does in manga, that the anime format has plenty of things going for it that the manga can't do (such as the urgency of movement and the like), and that it would simply be cool and enjoyable for there to be an anime version of the Moro arc. Some people also maintain they'd enjoy it more than the manga, and that's fine too, since we're still in the realms of simple personal preference.

But then, there's this weird other take I'm seeing, which has it that the Moro arc is some sort of disaster in the manga (for...reasons), and that a putative anime version will somehow "fix" it. And it's this take that I just can't get on board with, for a number of reasons.

Firstly, the idea that the Moro arc is all that bad is questionable. Is it Dragon Ball's (or even Dragon Ball Super's) zenith? Nope. Is it a generally competently executed arc, with its fair share of more and less skilfully deployed plot points? I'd say so. Is it enjoyable? I think it is, on the whole. I don't know that I'd call it wildly exciting or super-gripping, but I find it engaging and, for want of a better word, pretty "good". I just don't recognise the dumpster fire that apparently some people can see in this arc, and several of the reasons behind this judgement seem really quite unconvincing.

Moreover, on the basis of its overall form up to this point, I really don't see how anyone can claim with a straight face that the anime is surely going to "fix" whatever it is that ails the Moro arc. What possible reason can be given for this assurance, given the many flaws that have been evidenced in the anime release of Dragon Ball Super so far? If the claim were just that people had confidence that they'd get a (similarly but differently flawed) work in a way that they think they would nevertheless enjoy more, I'd understand a claim like that, but to say it will "fix" anything is to say that an anime version would address your problems with the arc (again, why would it do that?) and be in some way objectively better than the manga's offering.

For the life of me, I just don't see it.
I wouldn’t call it a disaster, but I think it’s pretty boring, and I wouldn’t lose any sleep if it never gets adapted in the anime.