Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:53 am

SX10 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:24 pm
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:42 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:14 am SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH...

But just so its not ALL terrible news, here's a bit of hope.

https://imissbionix.wordpress.com/2020/ ... ars-later/
To whoever uploaded that video.........if you have access to Ocean's hard drives...............

Jussayin.'
Tell me about it! How do we contact this guy?
Wouldn't getting this guy to release it be a whole legal thing?

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:59 am

Kakkaroto735 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:53 am
SX10 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:24 pm
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:42 pm

To whoever uploaded that video.........if you have access to Ocean's hard drives...............

Jussayin.'
Tell me about it! How do we contact this guy?
Wouldn't getting this guy to release it be a whole legal thing?
1) He did it anonymously to avoid such a thing.

2) I'm pretty sure they're joking. Or are they? Yeah, I'm sure. Or maybe not.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:41 am

Who's to say that leak came from someone at Ocean. That pilot was screened at multiple conventions.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:51 am

GokuDaimao wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:59 am 2) I'm pretty sure they're joking. Or are they? Yeah, I'm sure. Or maybe not.
Allow me to clarify, I'm (not?) joking. :lol:
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:14 pm

If nothing else, going by the track record from stuff like that banned episode of Dexter’s Laboratory and the more recent example of that Ocean pilot dub, I’m inclined to believe that this particular dub will eventually see the light of day, but maybe not in any official/legal capacity.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:14 pm

I just had the most interesting conversation with, I believe John Mitchell of Anitunes? Things moved so damn fast introduction was lost in the current haha! He had trouble recalling, and it was a little confusing, but he said that he was aware of Kai, also that they weren't contacted to do anything new :O

Now I think maybe our wires were crossed, perhaps he thought I meant there was a newer series coming out recently. He did say it was all a long time ago.

He was THRILLED to hear how much the fans love their work, particularly on Z. Totally delighted. I could feel it on the phone. He was excited to chat.

They receive the first 6 episodes of a show/ series and write music cues for all the relevant moments and those cues get recycled throughout the entire series. Companies could come back and request a bit extra at any time for whatever reason.

These soundtracks form libraries which Ocean can pick and choose from as they please.

Also, Ocean are working more on Korean dubs these days as opposed to Japanese?

I am guessing there must something fresh, but also maybe new selections for the soundtrack, loads of people have confirmed it's different.

He seems to think that perhaps Ocean Studios produced it themselves. I think the simplest truth here is Ocean/ Toei did this.

Guy could not have been nicer!

There's nothing else I can do tonight, but tomorrow...
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:09 am

SX10 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:14 pm He seems to think that perhaps Ocean Studios produced it themselves. I think the simplest truth here is Ocean/ Toei did this.
No, the simplest answer is that Ocean did it themselves. The Westwood dubs were basically done by Ocean themselves, after all; Westwood was basically just a production arm of Ocean when it was still open, and the reason the Westwood dubs got made seems to be just a simple loophole in the contract they had with Funimation back in '96; they were given a license to record a dub back then, and that license didn't go away when Funi moved things in-house. The idea that Ocean don't produce dubs themselves is a misconception many of us (myself included) picked up from reading into how things usually worked in the '90s.

It's not even vaguely out of the realm of possibility that Ocean continued to hold the license to do a further dub by 2010 (which was only 5 years after their last work on the franchise), or that they simply negotiated to get a new license from Toei for Kai specifically in ~2009.
SX10 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:14 pm I just had the most interesting conversation with, I believe John Mitchell of Anitunes
Very interesting!! :)
SX10 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:14 pm He had trouble recalling, and it was a little confusing, but he said that he was aware of Kai, also that they weren't contacted to do anything new :O
Now I think maybe our wires were crossed, perhaps he thought I meant there was a newer series coming out recently. He did say it was all a long time ago.
[...]
They receive the first 6 episodes of a show/ series and write music cues for all the relevant moments and those cues get recycled throughout the entire series. Companies could come back and request a bit extra at any time for whatever reason.

These soundtracks form libraries which Ocean can pick and choose from as they please.
Interesting.
Well, we've been told repeatedly that it is an original score, so I'm guessing what happened is Anitunes did ~6 episodes of new score for Kai, maybe came back once or twice to do another few episodes of new score, then their work on that, plus other library tracks, were reused for the rest.

But yeah, the soundtrack libraries thing is about what we kinda knew the case to be. I don't think they actually did score any DBZ until the Boo arc, I think Ocean just used 100% library tracks they had lying around for pre-Boo, then they got Anitunes to do some original scoring of a few Boo arc episodes later on.
Also helps that Ocean got a huge ton of extra library tracks to use in the early Boo arc, thanks to Monster Rancher.

Though, that does leave the total mystery of the Westwood OP song. We can be fairly sure the Westwood OP was produced as early as 1999, maybe 2000, and it's definitely an Anitunes track. Maybe you could ask about that next time you're contacting the Anitunes guys. :)
SX10 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:14 pm He was THRILLED to hear how much the fans love their work, particularly on Z. Totally delighted. I could feel it on the phone. He was excited to chat.
I'm glad. :)

Did you get a chance to ask if there's any chance of a soundtrack CD (or like a Spotify or Bandcamp release?) of some of their music coming out someday?
SX10 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:14 pm Also, Ocean are working more on Korean dubs these days as opposed to Japanese?
I know they tend to do a lot of dubbing of non-Japanese work these days, but I don't know about where in particular from.
I've often been interested in checking out their non-Japanese work, but there's no good listing... Though, I hear a lot of their work these days is preschool stuff anyway.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:13 pm

I spoke directly to Diana Gage - again nice woman, was very happy to hear how much we appreciate their work.

She oversaw the entire creative process. She isn't at liberty to discuss as it's Toei's IP even though they produced the dub (there is confusion when I ask if they were outsourced. She said "it's a Japanese production" :lol: so, just Toei and Ocean here).

She doesn't deal with the business stuff, that would be Ken Morrison I believe as he was talking with Marni and he is the exec producer after all.

I asked her - will we see it?

She honestly doesn't know. They hope it will see light of day. But they don't know.

Fans should make their presence known, she says she would hope online forums are being monitored for that reason.

But the ball is in Toei's court and whoever we can get to show interest in airing it.

Lisa hasn't responded to queries at all. I did find two other names. Now Lisa is the director of licensing, these names must work in tandem:

Daniel Castaneda - also a director & film licensing/ production

Hugo Mayorga - senior manager & digital licensing/ production

I emailed those guys my queries instead.hooing their either respond to me directly or pass it on.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:40 pm

Daniel is Latin American so I want to send him an email...but that could jeopardize everything. Be careful if you do send him one!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:05 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:40 pm Daniel is Latin American so I want to send him an email...but that could jeopardize everything. Be careful if you do send him one!
Ohh, I did send one but the info I saw said he was part of Toei usa in la

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:08 pm

The Snyder cut of Justice League finally happening does give me hope that Ocean Kai too will eventually resurface from the depths(pun intended). Speaking of long lost Anime, i'm hoping the eight English dubbed episodes of Knights of the Zodiac that only ever aired in Canada and never got released on DVD eventually see the light of day.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:19 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:08 pm The Snyder cut of Justice League finally happening does give me hope that Ocean Kai too will eventually resurface from the depths(pun intended).
Well, Ocean Kai actually exists as a thing to sell to whoever wants to put it out. The Snyder cut had to be put together for a lot of money, because all that previously existed was a rough assembly cut. (This was already kinda known, but Bob Greenblatt, chairman of WarnerMedia and head of HBO Max, was quoted as saying "[...] it isn’t as easy as just going into the vault and there’s a Snyder Cut sitting there to put out… It does not exist. Zack is actually building it, and it’s complex. Including – and I don’t want to get into too much detail that we haven’t already talked about yet – but new effects shots. It’s a radical rethinking of that movie, and it’s complicated and wildly expensive, of course a number I won’t quote… I’ll just say I wish it was just $30 million… It’s an enormous undertaking and very complex.")

As for Ocean Kai surfacing, a friend recently got in contact with someone at Ocean, who confirmed they're still actively shopping Ocean Kai around to this day, so we'll see. Certainly hope is not lost. :)
Planetnamek wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:08 pm Speaking of long lost Anime, i'm hoping the eight English dubbed episodes of Knights of the Zodiac that only ever aired in Canada and never got released on DVD eventually see the light of day.
That would be nice.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:17 pm

I'm sure we'll see this get released eventually, there's no way they would spend all that money dubbing this just to sit on it forever.

By the way, does anyone know if Peter Kelamis worked on this dub?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:14 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:17 pm I'm sure we'll see this get released eventually, there's no way they would spend all that money dubbing this just to sit on it forever.
As much as I'd like to believe that, apparently it happens quite often.
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:17 pmBy the way, does anyone know if Peter Kelamis worked on this dub?
We do know, and the answer is he didn't. Richard Ian Cox plays Goku in this dub.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:52 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:14 pm
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:17 pm I'm sure we'll see this get released eventually, there's no way they would spend all that money dubbing this just to sit on it forever.
As much as I'd like to believe that, apparently it happens quite often.
It is still being shopped around, so I think we'll see it eventually. But it could still be years away.
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:14 pm
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:17 pmBy the way, does anyone know if Peter Kelamis worked on this dub?
We do know, and the answer is he didn't. Richard Ian Cox plays Goku in this dub.
Yeah.

Apparently Peter Kelamis and Ian Corlett both voiced interest in potentially returning, but neither were auditioned for Kai. Ocean seem to have only auditioned the actor who played each role the most in Vancouver, and in Calgary. Sounds like they tried to get some of them to switch their performance up a bit to sound closer to what they want (apparently when Kirby Morrow was re-auditioned as Goku, they tried to get him to go for a goofier approach), but if they couldn't get what they wanted out of one of the older castings, they had no issue with dropping them and holding a casting call for a new actor to play the part.

Y'know what, it's been long enough, here's my Ocean Kai infodump once again, for anyone who wants to look up everything we know so far:

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:27 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:52 am Matt Smith as Tien Shinhan - Rejected in favour of the Calgary actor who played the role in the Blue Water dubs, Brendan Hunter.
Steve Olsen as the narrator - No major roles, only incidental voices. (https://twitter.com/radiosteveo/status/ ... 23104?s=21)
Minor nitpick but the wording of this has always bothered me. There's little to suggest he was rejected. His anime dubbing stopped prior to Kai with, I believe, Inuyasha. From there we know he did a bit of live action work yet seemed to eventually move on to focus on real estate work in Toronto with acting gigs on the side: https://torontostoreys.com/matthew-smit ... the-agent/
Saffron Henderson as Gohan ... She was "Temporarily replaced", as she put it, for the rest of Z's run, and as I recall didn't return to Canada until after the Westwood Z dub was over, so it would make sense if she was returning. Ultimately, we can't be 100% sure at this time, but I would say it's likely what she was hinting at.
I discovered recently that she actually was in the Boo saga of the Westwood dub, she had a cameo as one of the bakery shop workers. Though she initially left the Gohan role to get married she did appear to return and work in vancouver on Inuyasha until around 2004 when she started appearing in LA productions. Since coming back to Vancouver she has consistently been dubbing various stuff since 06 so I have little doubt she was also involved with the Kai dub.
If Alec Willows isn't reprising Oolong, there is precedent for McNeil playing that character in Willows' absence, after all... Whether this all just slipped his mind, or if he's been recast in some of his old roles is not known, though he can be quite forthcoming about this stuff at cons when asked. (Similar case for any characters not mentioned above played by actors I've mentioned)
Not really the case. Richard Newman was the Oolong replacement during the Westwood dub so he would be the go-to for Vancouver actors but even so, I doubt they'd get him for such a minor role. Realistically it probably went to Corby Proctor (Blue Water) again, especially if Yajirobe was given to a Calgary actor. Alec Willows seemed to have a fresher memory of Dragon Ball and didn't seem to remember being in Z so I'm doubtful he was in Kai.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:40 pm

NitroEX wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:27 pm Minor nitpick but the wording of this has always bothered me. There's little to suggest he was rejected. His anime dubbing stopped prior to Kai with, I believe, Inuyasha. From there we know he did a bit of live action work yet seemed to eventually move on to focus on real estate work in Toronto with acting gigs on the side: https://torontostoreys.com/matthew-smit ... the-agent/
I didn't know that. I'd assumed he was auditioned like the rest, and ultimately not cast.
Thanks for the clarification.
NitroEX wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:27 pm I discovered recently that she actually was in the Boo saga of the Westwood dub, she had a cameo as one of the bakery shop workers. Though she initially left the Gohan role to get married she did appear to return and work in vancouver on Inuyasha until around 2004 when she started appearing in LA productions. Since coming back to Vancouver she has consistently been dubbing various stuff since 06 so I have little doubt she was also involved with the Kai dub.
That's very cool! :)
NitroEX wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:27 pm Not really the case. Richard Newman was the Oolong replacement during the Westwood dub so he would be the go-to for Vancouver actors but even so, I doubt they'd get him for such a minor role. Realistically it probably went to Corby Proctor (Blue Water) again, especially if Yajirobe was given to a Calgary actor. Alec Willows seemed to have a fresher memory of Dragon Ball and didn't seem to remember being in Z so I'm doubtful he was in Kai.
Oh yeah, I saw that panel, I think. It's a great one. And those two are very funny.
Interesting about that. To be honest, I was under the impression Alec Willows was always Oolong, aside from when Scott McNeil filled in for him in Z movie 3... But, my notes also say it was Newman, and I do remember Oolong being a different actor in the Westwood dub, so... Guess I was remembering wrong there.

I don't see why they wouldn't bring in Richard Newman for a smaller role, to be honest. If they think he's the man for the job, he could probably get the lines done quickly, and do the job well. Besides, we don't actually know about Yajirobe. I asked BlackPaladin about it, and after thinking on it, he's not sure where he heard it, so it's still rumours/unsourced.
Corby Proctor is a possibility, but it's also entirely possible they'd just recast if they didn't want to bring Richard Newman back.

In any case, updated infodump:

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:12 pm

For those unaware, Elise Baughman was kind enough to upload the Kamehacon 2 Ocean dub panel to her Youtube channel (Kai is talked about at 20:20, and near the end at 47:25): https://youtu.be/qB3C_PvlX2Q?t=2845

You can really see Scott's frustration with it & it's a little heartbreaking as he clearly considers Kai his best work as Piccolo. I do think he might be mistaken about the producer's decisions to use more accurate pronunciations though, that sounds like a bonus to me personally.

Despite Geekdom insisting that it's uncut I wouldn't put too much stock in that, it's a television dub after all and realistically contains some level of censorship and edits as a result.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:38 pm

Yeah it really sucks when you put a lot of effort into something only to have it never see the light of day. I get depressed when i think about how many completed films and TV shows are just sitting there unreleased.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:47 pm

The disappointment from both Goku's about not getting another shot is kinda sad. We need to crowdsource a fandub of super, heck have Chris sabat play copy Vegeta lol

In all honesty tho, I would love to at least see ocean do all the films, outside of seeing kai, that all I want :D