Semi Perfect Cell is Underrated

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeogran
I Live Here

Semi Perfect Cell is Underrated

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:13 am

As I've started analyzing DB more, I found that Cell 2nd is in fact quite an interesting character. People dislike him because of getting beaten down by Vegeta, but most don't realize how stubborn he was in reaching his goal. It was actually quite refreshing, how after Imperfect Cell was hiding to achieve what he wants, Semi Cell went straight on tackling all difficulties in his path. The moment he transformed he wrecked #16, tanked Tien's hits and started destroying Islands in his hunt for #18.

Then came Vegeta and Trunks, who stopped him for quite a while. Cell couldn't overpower neither, but it's interesting how he never lost a single limb or got any visible injuries, despite being attacked for that long by a stronger Super Vegeta, which speaks of his durability.

The next thing is how Cell mentally outplayed Vegeta to make him and Trunks fight each other, all while he was hunting for the Android.
Using Solar Flare while all of this was happening showed his strategic side.

And lastly, let's remember that the Cell that exploded and killed Goku, was in fact Semi-Perfect. He is directly responsible for the way Buu Saga turned out, otherwise Goku may had not learned SSJ3 and certainly not Fusion. When you look at it that way, his role in the story is quite important 8)

Just wanted to get this off my chest, since I like this form and maybe it should deserve more appreciation than it does.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Re: Semi Perfect Cell is Underrated

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:15 am

Cool that this should show up, I also wrote an analysis on this about a year ago. I think Semi-Perfect Cell's main appeal is that he's a perfect punching bag. He has a cartoony, expressive face so he can comically overreact to every punch, kick or KIKOHO. It's been said that Toriyama called SP Cell his favourite form of the character, I think that's mainly because he saw the comedic value in the design. Imperfect Cell was excellently creepy, but he was definitely outside the box from the usual tone and design philosophies of the series. SP Cell fits the overall tone of the series a bit better. It's cool that each transformation of Cell is so radically different from the last that they are all seen as different characters entirely rather than simple power-ups, kinda like regenerations in Doctor Who.

Personality wise, I like that he clearly knows he's not quite perfect, but he's still in a bit of a power-trip thanks to the boost Android 17 gave him. At first he assumes he can ditch subterfuge entirely, but when Vegeta, Trunks and even Tenshinhan wreck him, he realises that he still has to play dirty to get what he wants. Like with the previous Androids, it's interesting to think about what larger role this form could have played if Toriyama's ex-editor didn't call SP Cell stupid and pressure him to skip to Perfect Cell.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:07 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:15 am It's interesting to think about what larger role this form could have played if Toriyama's ex-editor didn't call SP Cell stupid and pressure him to skip to Perfect Cell.
I wonder if Gohan punching the Perfect out of Cell is because of Toriyama wanting to troll his editor :lol:

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:16 am

He looks like a fat lumux and talks like he has a cold.

I liked imperfect cell more. His reptile eyes. That was one creepy son of a bitch.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:16 am

Cell is easily at his least intimidating in that form, despite it being his second strongest. Not only is the design goofy, but he spends a good chunk of his time getting knocked around, which ultimately culminates in him becoming a bulbous balloon about to pop. I can see why someone like Akira Toriyama would be fond of it, since he is a goofy gag writer at heart, but compared to the creepiness of Imperfect Cell, and the more straightforward bad guy who loves fighting that Perfect Cell is, Semi Perfect Cell sticks out almost like a joke.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:30 am

Second Form Cell is my handsome husband and will have none of this hoo-hah about him being dumb and ugly. He's trying, gawddammt!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:23 pm

I don't understand this thread... Semi-Perfect Cell and Perfect Cell are the same being, I don't see the point in saying things like "blowing up the Earth is something Semi-Perfect Cell accomplished, not Perfect Cell". Like he's still Cell, they are not two separate people.

Design-wise, Semi-Perfect Cell looks too goofy and clumsy to be taken seriously. Perfect Cell looks better in every single possible way, as it should be.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:47 pm

Very upsetting to see disrespect of my husband, the very handsome and charismatic Second Form Cell. Yes, he was a himbo, yes, he had his ass handed to him by Tenshinhan, Vegeta and Trunks, yes, he was a son of a bitch but he was my son of a bitch.

Frankly, this Cell should have stayed after Gohan knocked #18 out of him and stuck around as a new regular cast member. Can you imagine the fucking hilarious storylines he could have gotten into?
She/Her
bisexual milf

Locust
Beyond Newbie

Post by Locust » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:04 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:47 pm Very upsetting to see disrespect of my husband, the very handsome and charismatic Second Form Cell. Yes, he was a himbo, yes, he had his ass handed to him by Tenshinhan, Vegeta and Trunks, yes, he was a son of a bitch but he was my son of a bitch.
I never ever thought I'd see Cell being called a himbo but -

I dig it

Imperfect Cell will always be my favourite however, that fucked up lizard-cockroach weirdo, forgive me
"I just wanna punch god in the face"
My English can be weak, please forgive mistakes/confusingly phrased sentences
Letterboxd

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:58 pm

Locust wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:04 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:47 pm Very upsetting to see disrespect of my husband, the very handsome and charismatic Second Form Cell. Yes, he was a himbo, yes, he had his ass handed to him by Tenshinhan, Vegeta and Trunks, yes, he was a son of a bitch but he was my son of a bitch.

I dig it

Imperfect Cell will always be my favourite however, that fucked up lizard-cockroach weirdo, forgive me
Cicada Cell saikou!

Second Form Cell is the kind of himbo eternally chasing after Perfect Cell, the sort of himbo who is the center of attention and has all the hot young things. He sulks in the corner and plots his ascension, eternally--HOWEVER--his best friend is Mister Satan, a fool with even greater delusions of grandeur. Mister Satan appreciates and believes in Cell-kun but Cell can only see Mister Satan as a hopeless fool good for cheap entertainment. That is their energy.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Locust
Beyond Newbie

Post by Locust » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:00 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:58 pm
Locust wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:04 pm

I dig it

Cicada Cell saikou!

Second Form Cell is the kind of himbo eternally chasing after Perfect Cell, the sort of himbo who is the center of attention and has all the hot young things. He sulks in the corner and plots his ascension, eternally--HOWEVER--his best friend is Mister Satan, a fool with even greater delusions of grandeur. Mister Satan appreciates and believes in Cell-kun but Cell can only see Mister Satan as a hopeless fool good for cheap entertainment. That is their energy.
Hmm yes, this is now my personal headcanon, it's just too good
"I just wanna punch god in the face"
My English can be weak, please forgive mistakes/confusingly phrased sentences
Letterboxd

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:04 pm

Locust wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:00 pmHmm yes, this is now my personal headcanon, it's just too good
My big, green, sole tentacle-tailed husband...just so, so gorgeous. God, I would die to be able to go back in time and get Wakamoto Norio and Gouri Daisuke to voice these two in a CD drama or OVA.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:16 pm

And somehow he always gets overlooked by videogames.

I like his design a lot, he is funny-looking, but he looks so tough too. Like 1st form Cell is strong but he looks like a skinny tree branch you can just snap, Perfect Cell is well perfect but also elegant, looks more like Cell going out to dinner. This Cell is a tank, he is huge and seems battle-ready, and those lips, I thought he was going to absorb 18 with them and not with his tail. Too bad he never used the skillset Gero made for him, aside of the taiyouken.

Also, I think he should be referred to as 2nd form Cell. DBZA made really good points regarding Cell and perfection.

BTW, when 1st form Cell claimed that he could even create a genki dama, I thought that was going to happen eventually.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:17 pm

Damien Clarke's SP Cell voice was dare I say - perfect.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:50 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:17 pm Damien Clarke's SP Cell voice was dare I say - perfect.
Do you mean that ironically? I certainly don’t have a problem with it, but I have seen some people who aren’t too crazy about it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:58 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:50 pm
ABED wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:17 pm Damien Clarke's SP Cell voice was dare I say - perfect.
Do you mean that ironically? I certainly don’t have a problem with it, but I have seen some people who aren’t too crazy about it.
Considering how goofy the design is and how petulant he is in this form, such a ridiculous voice is very fitting. So no, I wasn't being ironic.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:07 pm

Frankly, this Cell should have stayed after Gohan knocked #18 out of him and stuck around as a new regular cast member. Can you imagine the fucking hilarious storylines he could have gotten into?
Unrealistic male beauty standards be like

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:25 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:07 pmUnrealistic male beauty standards be like
Lawd, if you think I'm hawt for Second Form Cell just wait until you see my opinion on the orc kings in independent comics. Or the conventionally attractive boys from Kuroko no Baske, specifically Midorima Shintarou.

Click for 1080p version.

Or Dragon Ball Super Broli. Holy fucking shitballs on a bloody crucifix, he's such a stud...
She/Her
bisexual milf

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:30 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:58 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:50 pm
Considering how goofy the design is and how petulant he is in this form, such a ridiculous voice is very fitting. So no, I wasn't being ironic.
In that case, I’d definitely agree.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:47 pm

I just don't like the way the form looks. Imperfect form is frightening and unique looking. Perfect form is just really cool looking. Semi is just weird and goofy looking.