"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:05 pm

5 years ago, on this very day, Dragon Ball Super began, and I honest to God can't believe it's already been five years. It feels like yesterday when Super was first announced and the internet exploded.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:03 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:05 pm 5 years ago, on this very day, Dragon Ball Super began, and I honest to God can't believe it's already been five years. It feels like yesterday when Super was first announced and the internet exploded.
Hopefully this day next year we'll all be talking about how great episode 132 is.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:50 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:01 am
DBZ_Lee wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:00 am I will say, due to the pandemic, Digimon will now likely go until next June, as they lost a cour.
It depends on if Toriyama has given them any new material to work with.
They'll have the Moro arc from the manga, and possibly Broly, so together should give them a year's worth of episodes.
I just realized.

The year is already half way over and we're still not out of the Moro arc which began 2 years ago.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:55 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:50 pm The year is already half way over and we're still not out of the Moro arc which began 2 years ago.
I can't see it lasting longer than 2 more chapters, maybe 3 if they really stretch things out.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:15 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:55 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:50 pm The year is already half way over and we're still not out of the Moro arc which began 2 years ago.
I can't see it lasting longer than 2 more chapters, maybe 3 if they really stretch things out.
Jesus... the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc has lasted over 2 years... man if that doesn't hammer home how much this arc has been dragged out, I don't know what will.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:51 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:15 pm Jesus... the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc has lasted over 2 years... man if that doesn't hammer home how much this arc has been dragged out, I don't know what will.
Where it dragged was the part between Goku and Vegeta's training and their return to earth, that part could've easily been cut in half.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:06 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:50 pm
DBZ_Lee wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:00 am I will say, due to the pandemic, Digimon will now likely go until next June, as they lost a cour.
It depends on if Toriyama has given them any new material to work with.
They'll have the Moro arc from the manga, and possibly Broly, so together should give them a year's worth of episodes.
I just realized.

The year is already half way over and we're still not out of the Moro arc which began 2 years ago.
You do realize it's monthly manga?

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:02 pm

sangofe wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:06 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:50 pm

I just realized.

You do realize it's monthly manga?
Obviously. That doesn't mean I can't be shocked at how slow it's going every once in a while.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:10 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:57 pm I really wouldn't be surprised if they decided to extend Digimon Adventure: considering how much of it was affected by the virus. Honestly, considering the creative energy behind it I'd be more than happy to just have more Digimon Adventure: than a Dragon Ball series likely fucked in the ass by Bandai and Shueisha.
I kinda agree with this thought, been watching Tamers lately and Digimon is quite a good series, sure it doesn't share the same space as DB in my heart, but when I remember how inconsistent was Super production, animation and plot-wise I can't help but to have a bittersweet feeling of its possible return.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:58 pm

I really hope FUNi rerelease the series in collection sets like they do One Piece & did for Kai. I don't like that it's 10 volumes & they're like $20-$30 each. Australia already has them, so why not? And anything than that Wal-Mart repackaging for the first 3 volumes with an action figure at $100 would be great.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:19 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:58 pm I really hope FUNi rerelease the series in collection sets like they do One Piece & did for Kai.
I'm pretty sure they will, I think the reason they're taking longer is because the current sets are still selling a lot. If I had to guess, I'd say the first collection will be released sometime before the end of the year.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:01 am

Digimon was stated to go on for a year and they have lost 9 episodes. I wonder if they will extend it by a cour, in that case they will have to produce 4 more episodes than expected and end it at 56, or if they will wrap it up with episode 43.

I think it’s more likely it will be extended, therefore if Super is really coming back after Digimon then it will be in a year from now.

What’s to be seen is what will happen with the manga once the Moro arc is over.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:16 am

emperior wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:01 amWhat’s to be seen is what will happen with the manga once the Moro arc is over.
Ending the manga after just one original arc would be a very odd decision. I think the manga will be around for the long run, as not only will it give the anime material to adapt later on, it'll keep the franchise relevant moving forward until the anime's back on the air.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:21 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:16 am
emperior wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:01 amWhat’s to be seen is what will happen with the manga once the Moro arc is over.
Ending the manga after just one original arc would be a very odd decision. I think the manga will be around for the long run, as not only will it give the anime material to adapt later on, it'll keep the franchise relevant moving forward until the anime's back on the air.
The thing is... will the next arc be written by Toriyama? Or will it be another mostly filler arc mostly written by Toyotaro?
I personally hope it will be a Toriyama arc. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they put the manga on hiatus too, because maybe the next animated DB thing will be a movie by Toriyama and unless that gets released by the end of the year or very early 2021 there’s no way Toyotaro can kickstart another fillerish arc set after the movie soon, as Moro’s arc is almost over and I doubt it can be extended to another 5-6 chapters.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:16 am

emperior wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:21 amWill the next arc be written by Toriyama? Or will it be another mostly filler arc mostly written by Toyotaro?
The current arc isn't written any differently from the previous ones, as most of modern DB has been Toriyama working with other people, including Toyotaro.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:11 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:16 am
emperior wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:21 amWill the next arc be written by Toriyama? Or will it be another mostly filler arc mostly written by Toyotaro?
The current arc isn't written any differently from the previous ones, as most of modern DB has been Toriyama working with other people, including Toyotaro.
Wrong.

The other arcs were outlined by Toriyama from beginning to end, with characters designed by him. This arc is full of Toyotaro’s OCs with Toriyama at best only providing for some elements of Merus’ character.

It’s very different from the other Super arcs.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:53 am

emperior wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:11 amThe other arcs were outlined by Toriyama from beginning to end, with characters designed by him. This arc is full of Toyotaro’s OCs with Toriyama at best only providing for some elements of Merus’ character.
Vegetto's inclusion in the Black arc was Toyotaro's idea. A major idea within the Black arc was suggested to him by his editor, but we don't know which part. There are massive differences within the TOP between the anime and manga, showing that his outlines are nowhere near as detailed as you think. Half the destroyers introduced within the TOP were designed by Toyotaro. The entirety of Broly was an editor suggestion, with the ending of Broly getting his "Legendary" form being Toei's inclusion. SsjG being brought back and Vegeta getting it was Toyotaro's idea as well.

Toyotaro has been influencing modern DB for awhile now, and that influence is just growing, especially with him saying a few years ago he'll eventually start working with the anime's staff on the story.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:41 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:53 am
emperior wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:11 amThe other arcs were outlined by Toriyama from beginning to end, with characters designed by him. This arc is full of Toyotaro’s OCs with Toriyama at best only providing for some elements of Merus’ character.
Vegetto's inclusion in the Black arc was Toyotaro's idea. A major idea within the Black arc was suggested to him by his editor, but we don't know which part. There are massive differences within the TOP between the anime and manga, showing that his outlines are nowhere near as detailed as you think. Half the destroyers introduced within the TOP were designed by Toyotaro. The entirety of Broly was an editor suggestion, with the ending of Broly getting his "Legendary" form being Toei's inclusion. SsjG being brought back and Vegeta getting it was Toyotaro's idea as well.

Toyotaro has been influencing modern DB for awhile now, and that influence is just growing, especially with him saying a few years ago he'll eventually start working with the anime's staff on the story.
The original manga too was a work of Toriyama AND his editors. Sure, FT arc and Broly were both sparked from outside suggestions but they are still mostly Toriyama written while the last arc is the opposite.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:04 am

emperior wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:41 am The original manga too was a work of Toriyama AND his editors. Sure, FT arc and Broly were both sparked from outside suggestions but they are still mostly Toriyama written while the last arc is the opposite.
I can't help but notice you ignored all the points I made in regards to Toyotaro's previous contributions, and his comment abut working closely with the anime's staff in the future.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:27 pm

Future? We've got at least the rest of the year before they're finished with everything Corona set back and then an extra year for them to actually work on whatever they're planning, assuming that movie hasn't been abandoned.

I'm starting to think they don't care about the anime anymore.