Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:30 am

Scsigs wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:10 am You forget that the Dragon Box discs only got repackaged in Japan.
Well, yeah I thought that went without saying??

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:53 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:30 pm Sorry for committing necromancy again on this thread, but do you guys think Funi will ever take this 30th set, and strip it down into a future consumer level re-release to maybe retire/replace the 2014 season sets?
If they think people will buy it, it's practically a license to print money.

Personally, I hope they see the collective "FUCK NO" from the hardcore fans, and take the hint to drop the shitty DNR next time and thus give us the release we've been begging for since 2007, but seeing the current mass market release be 4:3 would at least be a major step in the right direction.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:47 am

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:53 am
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:30 pm Sorry for committing necromancy again on this thread, but do you guys think Funi will ever take this 30th set, and strip it down into a future consumer level re-release to maybe retire/replace the 2014 season sets?
If they think people will buy it, it's practically a license to print money.

Personally, I hope they see the collective "FUCK NO" from the hardcore fans, and take the hint to drop the shitty DNR next time and thus give us the release we've been begging for since 2007, but seeing the current mass market release be 4:3 would at least be a major step in the right direction.
As i said on the previous page, they have made enough 16:9 DBZ releases (as incorrect as that format is) to cater to those fans who prefer it to fill their widescreen TV's. While at the same time leaving the people who want the show in it's proper 4:3 aspect ratio high and dry given the previous releases (Dragon Box, Levels) were either limited run albeit not advertised as such until later or prematurely canceled. The 30th set was indeed a step in the right direction, but it's a shame their misguided attempts with the DNR to make the show something it isn't killed what should've been an effort to get a good release out there.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:08 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:47 am As i said on the previous page, they have made enough 16:9 DBZ releases (as incorrect as that format is) to cater to those fans who prefer it to fill their widescreen TV's. While at the same time leaving the people who want the show in it's proper 4:3 aspect ratio high and dry given the previous releases (Dragon Box, Levels) were either limited run albeit not advertised as such until later or prematurely canceled. The 30th set was indeed a step in the right direction, but it's a shame their misguided attempts with the DNR to make the show something it isn't killed what should've been an effort to get a good release out there.
Yeah, it's a real shame.

I hope, next time, they realise you can't do the DNR that attempts to make it more palettable to a wider audience (I don't think it actually does that, but from what people at Funi have said, it sounds like they think it does that) while also pleasing the hardcore fans... The hardcore fans want an honest, good presentation of what's on the original film, grain and all, and as long as Funi deny us this, we'll continue to complain, and we'll continue to not pay £350 for something that's really not much better than any of their previous releases.

Hopefully, this rift between what the fans want and what Funi thinks is best gets resolved soon, but to be honest, I don't see them doing better. It's clear they think the DNR and cropping make the show look better, so I dunno. I'm not hugely optimistic... But we can still hope.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:23 am

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:08 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:47 am As i said on the previous page, they have made enough 16:9 DBZ releases (as incorrect as that format is) to cater to those fans who prefer it to fill their widescreen TV's. While at the same time leaving the people who want the show in it's proper 4:3 aspect ratio high and dry given the previous releases (Dragon Box, Levels) were either limited run albeit not advertised as such until later or prematurely canceled. The 30th set was indeed a step in the right direction, but it's a shame their misguided attempts with the DNR to make the show something it isn't killed what should've been an effort to get a good release out there.
Yeah, it's a real shame.

I hope, next time, they realise you can't do the DNR that attempts to make it more palettable to a wider audience (I don't think it actually does that, but from what people at Funi have said, it sounds like they think it does that) while also pleasing the hardcore fans... The hardcore fans want an honest, good presentation of what's on the original film, grain and all, and as long as Funi deny us this, we'll continue to complain, and we'll continue to not pay £350 for something that's really not much better than any of their previous releases.

Hopefully, this rift between what the fans want and what Funi thinks is best gets resolved soon, but to be honest, I don't see them doing better. It's clear they think the DNR and cropping make the show look better, so I dunno. I'm not hugely optimistic... But we can still hope.
I know right, it really sucks. The Dragon Boxes weren't an easy or ideal option to go with because of how their after market prices spiked after going out of print, but at this point i really didn't have any other choice for getting a consistent collection of DBZ in terms of non faux widescreen releases and at least i've managed to find most of them for pretty decent prices on auctions. The old singles aren't even complete in uncut form for episodes 1-67 due to the Ultimate Uncut Edition's silent cancellation back in early 2006 and some of the volumes have gotten pretty pricey as of late. It's such a darn shame that the Level sets died like they did, because FUNi seemed to be on the right track but unfortunately they botched that by putting too few episodes per set and releasing them at probably the worst possible time crammed between the tail end of the Dragon Boxes' run and Kai's continued release. If only they'd waited a couple more years and put out the Levels as larger collections with the episode count of the Season BD's, then we'd have a good readily available and properly remastered 4:3 release available.

Wow, what a total freaking mess. This has been such a convoluted saga of home releases of a single anime series than anything else i can think of.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:59 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:23 am I know right, it really sucks. The Dragon Boxes weren't an easy or ideal option to go with because of how their after market prices spiked after going out of print, but at this point i really didn't have any other choice for getting a consistent collection of DBZ in terms of non faux widescreen releases and at least i've managed to find most of them for pretty decent prices on auctions. The old singles aren't even complete in uncut form for episodes 1-67 due to the Ultimate Uncut Edition's silent cancellation back in early 2006 and some of the volumes have gotten pretty pricey as of late. It's such a darn shame that the Level sets died like they did, because FUNi seemed to be on the right track but unfortunately they botched that by putting too few episodes per set and releasing them at probably the worst possible time crammed between the tail end of the Dragon Boxes' run and Kai's continued release. If only they'd waited a couple more years and put out the Levels as larger collections with the episode count of the Season BD's, then we'd have a good readily available and properly remastered 4:3 release available.

Wow, what a total freaking mess. This has been such a convoluted saga of home releases of a single anime series than anything else i can think of.
Doesn't help that the Levels and DBoxes were both also very overpriced, in my opinion.

The Season BDs had the same restoration process as the Levels, but with a crop and DNR step at the end, so it's clear they can do a good remaster at a good price, since we got that on the Season BDs, but they haven't done that without the DNR and cropping that we hate. :(

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:02 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:59 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:23 am I know right, it really sucks. The Dragon Boxes weren't an easy or ideal option to go with because of how their after market prices spiked after going out of print, but at this point i really didn't have any other choice for getting a consistent collection of DBZ in terms of non faux widescreen releases and at least i've managed to find most of them for pretty decent prices on auctions. The old singles aren't even complete in uncut form for episodes 1-67 due to the Ultimate Uncut Edition's silent cancellation back in early 2006 and some of the volumes have gotten pretty pricey as of late. It's such a darn shame that the Level sets died like they did, because FUNi seemed to be on the right track but unfortunately they botched that by putting too few episodes per set and releasing them at probably the worst possible time crammed between the tail end of the Dragon Boxes' run and Kai's continued release. If only they'd waited a couple more years and put out the Levels as larger collections with the episode count of the Season BD's, then we'd have a good readily available and properly remastered 4:3 release available.

Doesn't help that the Levels and DBoxes were both also very overpriced, in my opinion.

The Season BDs had the same restoration process as the Levels, but with a crop and DNR step at the end, so it's clear they can do a good remaster at a good price, since we got that on the Season BDs, but they haven't done that without the DNR and cropping that we hate. :(
Yeah, and if it weren't for the fake widescreen of 20%-25% on the top and bottom of the image and overdone application of DNR (albeit not as god awful as the Orange Bricks especially the first few sets but still barely any better) the Season BD's would actually be a decent release i would actually be fine with getting to have an HD version of the series. Too bad they have this continued urge to keep screwing around with it in these above ways.

Darn, they've really made this more difficult than it needs to be. Seriously, they have the means by which to do a good HD release but continue to muck it up at every turn.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:20 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:30 am
Scsigs wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:10 am You forget that the Dragon Box discs only got repackaged in Japan.
Well, yeah I thought that went without saying??
The way that you worded it, it makes it seem like you were saying FUNi did that.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:27 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:08 am Yeah, it's a real shame.

I hope, next time, they realise you can't do the DNR that attempts to make it more palatable to a wider audience (I don't think it actually does that, but from what people at Funi have said, it sounds like they think it does that) while also pleasing the hardcore fans... The hardcore fans want an honest, good presentation of what's on the original film, grain and all, and as long as Funi deny us this, we'll continue to complain, and we'll continue to not pay £350 for something that's really not much better than any of their previous releases.

I've made this point before, but I think I have to again.

Let's look at other franchises that have had their shows rereleased with remasters left in 4:3. The closest ones I can think of are Star Trek TOS & TNG. Now, while much more iconic, Star Trek is something I think people would consider niche, despite what the last 3 films & TV shows have tried to make it be. And CBS & Paramount have tried really hard to bring those shows, as well as their movies, into the modern era by giving them high-quality remasters from their original film sources. Even going out of their way to give every episode of TOS optional CGI space scenes to watch rather than just the original model shots & you can switch to whichever ones you prefer on the BRs. TNG had a more extensive remaster, as they had to piece everything back together from all of the filmstock they had in that vault, since there were no master film prints like TOS had. And they didn't have every space scene's film to use for remastered shots either, since those were lost. at some point, so they had to use CGI to replace what they didn't have.
The results are some of the most impressive remasters ever seen for an old TV show & definitely will help it stand the test of time better than the 480i ones they had beforehand. There's even talks of DS9 & maybe Voyager getting remastered, which would be awesome. TNG cost $2 million to remaster, though, & DS9 & Voyager would cost even more since they really leaned into using CGI back then for the space shots, as well as Odo's transformations & stuff.

Now, DB, Z, & GT have master film stocks for the episodes & it can't cost too much just to remove some grain & stuff from the film, repair or replace old frames with duplicate ones, color-correct, & QC the episodes to make sure they're good to go. It's weird that FUNi really couldn't be fucked to do the rest of the series like they did the first 34-68 back in 2011. It wouldn't have cost nearly as much as TNG either.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:46 pm

Scsigs wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:10 am Honestly I hope they do and have it phase out the Blu Brick set. While the DNR and fake grain are of course incredibly awful practices, using the Black Bricks as the new HD standard means that at the VERY least you'd be able to buy an affordable version of all the classic shows in their intended aspect ratio, 4:3.
.....Then they can tout them as , "The TRUE remasters from Japan!" or some stupid shit like that & have new BRs for the movies too, hopefully with the uncensored streaming masters than the disc masters.
"MaDe FRom OrIgiNaL JaPaNEse mAstErS!!1"

2006 Orange Brick trailer intensifies
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:44 am

Lately i have been watching the Dragon Boxes with RGB on a CRT tv and the result looked fantastic. The grain wasn't as apparent when looking at a 480p screen, since it wasn't upscaled to 1080 or 4K. The detail tended to be a bit more blended in with the background and it gave the show a nice soft organic look that i haven't seen in ages. It blows away watching this content on a modern flat panel. Even OLED doesn't do it justice because motion handling just isn't anywhere near as good on those displays. All sample and hold displays are terrible for motion handling which is why watching Dragon Ball on a CRT tv will always have some advantages, even if a hypothetical and completely unrealistic perfect restoration of this show were to be made.

Because the grain wasn't as noticeable there, it did slightly give me pause and wonder how necessary it is exactly. Now to make something clear i DO NOT WANT TO DEFEND THIS SET! Heck i would have vastly prefered if it was there and this had been a Level Sets style restoration. But i think i case could be made genuinely that grain being really noticeable goes against the creators intent. It really hard for me to buy that anyone noticed it when the show was being broadcast originally in all of its fuzzy glory. So i can see an argument that having less noticeable grain in the picture is a valid way of preserving the show as it was intended to be seen, even if i don't fully agree with it. I just think that the way Funimation has gone about removing the grain is pretty disastrous.

There are ringing artifacts on the outlines of some characters and it looks hideously distracting. Which is why i think they then went back and added in the layer of fake grain on top of the image. Just to reduce the color banding issues and hide some of the artifacts that are present in the picture and it still doesn't look right. This is also done in some modern games like Resident Evil 2 Remake where the added film grain reduced color banding around certain edges. So i can kind of understand why the fake grain is there in this set, but that really goes to show that they shouldn't have bothered to remove the film grain in the first place. As it just created unnecessary problems.

Even when something like Kai 1.0 did this process a bit more tastefully there were still some issues present in some backgrounds and it was distracting.

The overblown colors are a massive eyesore. The Dragon Boxes colors aren't really accurate anymore as they have faded over time but having inaccurate colors imo is far more preferable than having "slightly" more accurate but eyebleddingly oversaturated colors.

I'm really just sad. Because this was a perfect opportunity to get a proper remaster and for the first time a official way to have access to the OBA. It could have been perfect and it was completely squandered. If there is one positive about this set that i can say is that it is technically an upgrade over the bottom of the barrel 16:9 releases of this show. But those were an incredibly low bar.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:26 am

VDenter wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:44 am Because the grain wasn't as noticeable there, it did slightly give me pause and wonder how necessary it is exactly. Now to make something clear i DO NOT WANT TO DEFEND THIS SET! Heck i would have vastly prefered if it was there and this had been a Level Sets style restoration. But i think i case could be made genuinely that grain being really noticeable goes against the creators intent. It really hard for me to buy that anyone noticed it when the show was being broadcast originally in all of its fuzzy glory. So i can see an argument that having less noticeable grain in the picture is a valid way of preserving the show as it was intended to be seen, even if i don't fully agree with it. I just think that the way Funimation has gone about removing the grain is pretty disastrous.
Here's my respectful counter-argument. You are correct in that grain wouldn't be noticeable when watching on a CRT from the era the show was broadcast, East or West. However, one of the main points of going HD is to get more sharpness and detail with a higher resolution so it can stand up on modern TV sizes. And the thing about grain is that it inherently contains the detail, especially in the background paintings. Consistently Funimation's DNR has removed the grain and smudged the background to look like cheap watercolours.

Note how in the images below, the finer details of the rocky ground vanish, and several of the background trees actually disappear as the DNR mistakes them for noise.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:00 pm

VDenter wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:44 am Lately i have been watching the Dragon Boxes with RGB on a CRT tv and the result looked fantastic. The grain wasn't as apparent when looking at a 480p screen, since it wasn't upscaled to 1080 or 4K. The detail tended to be a bit more blended in with the background and it gave the show a nice soft organic look that i haven't seen in ages. It blows away watching this content on a modern flat panel. Even OLED doesn't do it justice because motion handling just isn't anywhere near as good on those displays. All sample and hold displays are terrible for motion handling which is why watching Dragon Ball on a CRT tv will always have some advantages, even if a hypothetical and completely unrealistic perfect restoration of this show were to be made.
Is there anyway we could get a pic of your tv screen? Or would looking at a picture not do justice to actually seeing it in person?
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:09 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:00 pm Is there anyway we could get a pic of your tv screen? Or would looking at a picture not do justice to actually seeing it in person?
Taking off-screen footage almost always doesn't capture the look of being there in the room unless you really know what you're doing, especially with a CRT.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:19 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:49 pm

All they have to do is get rid of the fancy art book, take the Goku figurine out, and just get some cheaper packaging for the actual discs, something akin to the Super blu rays. Then presto, Funi has another way to milk a little more cash from another release of DBZ. I wouldn't see much reason why they wouldn't do it.

Even if the actual video presentation won't change all to much from the 2014 sets (Colors, grain, saturation, etc...) . At the very least it could re-establish the 4:3 aspect ratio back into the minds of general consumers, as the way the series was supposed to be seen. If that means anything that is, maybe I'm just spouting word soup :lol: :lol:
Who knows, anything is possible even though the 30th set's presentation itself is indeed quite lacking so maybe that'll happen down the line at some point. I mean, at least they did it in the proper 4:3 aspect ratio this time even with all the issues which were explained and complained about not just on this here thread but numerous YouTube videos. The people who want the show to fit on their fancy widescreen televisions have already been served and catered to twice over between the Orange Bricks and Season BD's so those fans who want the series as intended to be seen just shouldn't be left hanging without a convenient affordable way to do so, and as a result thus having to resort to out of print and expensive releases like the singles or the Dragon Boxes like me. I got them (albeit gradually over time) because i don't have too much confidence in FUNi putting out a good home release that isn't DNR'ed to oblivion or cropped to fake widescreen.
What I am thinking is this. Funi can't really do another fake 16:9 release unless they make the jump to 4k Blu Ray.

If you think about it, for those general consumers who didn't know or care about the show's true presentation, going from the Orange Bricks to the Season Sets was a justifiable purchase, going from SD to full HD. If Funi came out with another Blu Ray DBZ release that was also fake 16:9, those people who have the Season Sets wouldn't buy it again. There would be no real jump in quality that one could achieve if they are still sticking with regular Blu Ray's, therefore, no big selling point that they can slap on the advertisements to hook them in.

If there is going to be another physical release of DBZ in the near future, it would have to be a consumer-level stripped version of the 30th set. DBZ has been re-re-released so many time, reverting back to 4:3 would be the only thing they could really tout. They wouldn't be able to get away with a 3rd 16:9 release of the show. Not if they intend to stick to the regular Blu Ray format.

Now if they ever do a 4k release of DBZ (Which I know they would do if they think people will buy it) , that's when they can go around again waving their marketing stick about how it would be "A wAy DbZ hAS nEvEr BeeN sEeN BefOre!1!1!!"

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:40 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:19 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:49 pm

All they have to do is get rid of the fancy art book, take the Goku figurine out, and just get some cheaper packaging for the actual discs, something akin to the Super blu rays. Then presto, Funi has another way to milk a little more cash from another release of DBZ. I wouldn't see much reason why they wouldn't do it.

Even if the actual video presentation won't change all to much from the 2014 sets (Colors, grain, saturation, etc...) . At the very least it could re-establish the 4:3 aspect ratio back into the minds of general consumers, as the way the series was supposed to be seen. If that means anything that is, maybe I'm just spouting word soup :lol: :lol:
Who knows, anything is possible even though the 30th set's presentation itself is indeed quite lacking so maybe that'll happen down the line at some point. I mean, at least they did it in the proper 4:3 aspect ratio this time even with all the issues which were explained and complained about not just on this here thread but numerous YouTube videos. The people who want the show to fit on their fancy widescreen televisions have already been served and catered to twice over between the Orange Bricks and Season BD's so those fans who want the series as intended to be seen just shouldn't be left hanging without a convenient affordable way to do so, and as a result thus having to resort to out of print and expensive releases like the singles or the Dragon Boxes like me. I got them (albeit gradually over time) because i don't have too much confidence in FUNi putting out a good home release that isn't DNR'ed to oblivion or cropped to fake widescreen.
What I am thinking is this. Funi can't really do another fake 16:9 release unless they make the jump to 4k Blu Ray.

If you think about it, for those general consumers who didn't know or care about the show's true presentation, going from the Orange Bricks to the Season Sets was a justifiable purchase, going from SD to full HD. If Funi came out with another Blu Ray DBZ release that was also fake 16:9, those people who have the Season Sets wouldn't buy it again. There would be no real jump in quality that one could achieve if they are still sticking with regular Blu Ray's, therefore, no big selling point that they can slap on the advertisements to hook them in.

If there is going to be another physical release of DBZ in the near future, it would have to be a consumer-level stripped version of the 30th set. DBZ has been re-re-released so many time, reverting back to 4:3 would be the only thing they could really tout. They wouldn't be able to get away with a 3rd 16:9 release of the show. Not if they intend to stick to the regular Blu Ray format.

Now if they ever do a 4k release of DBZ (Which I know they would do if they think people will buy it) , that's when they can go around again waving their marketing stick about how it would be "A wAy DbZ hAS nEvEr BeeN sEeN BefOre!1!1!!"
That is true, and now that i really think about it they've ridden the "DBZ in 16:9!!!!!" train as much as they possibly have been able to over the past decade plus between the Orange Bricks and Season BD's with being the cheap available releases. A budget repackaging of the 30th being released in stores broken up into smaller collections or volumes down the line (even though that isn't the ideal presentation we would all like to see, rather something more like the Level sets) is a plausible track for FUNi going forward. If there was anything gained by this newest version in spite of the many noted flaws, it's having the 4:3 aspect ratio of the show in HD available to buy again on store shelves in some fashion.

I'd really like it if they didn't do the garbage DNR, though that said with this set having been 4:3 more or less is at least a sign they may have finally come around and reconsidered on the aspect ratio for future re releases.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:10 am

Another thing that came to mind when thinking about a potential 4k release of DBZ, if all Funi has to work with is 16mm copies of the episodes, won't you think that once you begin to scan them at such high resolutions, there would be real diminishing returns to how much detail they could possibly bring out?

Obviously going from 1080p to 4k would still be a jump, but it won't be anywhere near the same big leap you got going from 480p to 1080p. Not the same "Wow" factor of comparing say the DBoxes to the Level Sets. I myself think that going to 4k would create a difference that only nerds like me would be able to appreciate. Especially if you're watching on a computer monitor instead a big tv screen. Also if you're the kind who likes to rip their blu rays and store locally, the file sizes would be absurd. You would probably need more than a terrabyte of raw storage to keep 4k copies of all 291 episodes. :lol:

But again I could be totally wrong :silent:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:58 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:10 am Another thing that came to mind when thinking about a potential 4k release of DBZ, if all Funi has to work with is 16mm copies of the episodes, won't you think that once you begin to scan them at such high resolutions, there would be real diminishing returns to how much detail they could possibly bring out?
Agreed, this is something that I'd brought up in the past too. Almost all of Dragon Ball was printed on 16mm film cels; this is the measurement of the width of the film, and as much as film can store a lot of detail that you just can't in a digitally-created image, at a certain point you hit a ceiling of how much can be gained from it.

There are, however, two exceptions to this in Dragon Ball: the movies, and the portion of the Namek Arc from Ginyu the Frog to Frieza's second transformation. The movies were printed in 35mm film because they were intended for the huge canvases of a theatrical presentation, so the larger size helps the picture stand up at such a ludicrously large scale. Because the film is physically bigger, there's more detail to be gained from a 4K scan. And for whatever reason, a portion of the Namek Arc was printed on 35mm film as well, and why is a mystery to me. Regardless this results in a stunning picture in just HD; check out this shot of Krillin for example.

About the only gain to be had when scanning 16mm film at 4K is that the effects of DNR will be less pronounced, so in a way 4K could be seen as a way to minimize the destructive tendencies of Funimation's incompetent video mastering team.

---

Actually... side-bar: could someone with the 30th Black Brick set go in and take a screenshot of that shot of Krillin as it appears in that set, DNR and all? It'd be a FANTASTIC demonstration for what true HD Dragon Ball is supposed to look like when done correctly.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:57 am

I think Funimation knows they have casual buyers to whom whether or not there is any more detail on a remaster slapped onto a UHD disc. The Season Blu-Rays have less detail than the orange bricks at times due to the smearing of backgrounds but it sold because it was an iconic title on the new hot physical format. I fully expect the same to apply once anime on UHD becomes more common as it's already starting to be rolled out on some movies like Tomorrow's Joe, Space Adventure Cobra, Akira and Your Name. For marketing purposes DBZ would be an ideal title to start releasing series on as it's sold incredibly well in the past.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:47 am

KBABZ wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:58 am
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:10 am Another thing that came to mind when thinking about a potential 4k release of DBZ, if all Funi has to work with is 16mm copies of the episodes, won't you think that once you begin to scan them at such high resolutions, there would be real diminishing returns to how much detail they could possibly bring out?
There are, however, two exceptions to this in Dragon Ball: the movies, and the portion of the Namek Arc from Ginyu the Frog to Frieza's second transformation. The movies were printed in 35mm film because they were intended for the huge canvases of a theatrical presentation, so the larger size helps the picture stand up at such a ludicrously large scale. Because the film is physically bigger, there's more detail to be gained from a 4K scan. And for whatever reason, a portion of the Namek Arc was printed on 35mm film as well, and why is a mystery to me. Regardless this results in a stunning picture in just HD; check out this shot of Krillin for example.

Actually... side-bar: could someone with the 30th Black Brick set go in and take a screenshot of that shot of Krillin as it appears in that set, DNR and all? It'd be a FANTASTIC demonstration for what true HD Dragon Ball is supposed to look like when done correctly.
Woah I actually never knew that. Neat to know. Would that be why some of the Namek episodes in Kai looks so sharp? :o

Also if you think that shot was in Kai, I can try to find it for comparison since I got those on hand.