"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Yuli Ban » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:53 am

Koitsukai wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:38 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:18 pm
Not a great video for people who nitpick details, but I think it is enough just for the sake of argument:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcS_v4hmsBM
Oh my god, there is no difference at all! I mean, I always knew they were pretty similar, I played both but really seeing both versions together is too much.

They really did squeeze every penny and made a game last 5 years in PS3 and PS4!
You know, I've said repeatedly now that Xenoverse 2 with all DLC feels like the base game we should have gotten in the first place.

But thinking about it now, I think Xenoverse 2 with all the DLC should have been how Xenoverse 1 shipped. I get why it didn't— DB games were still in the Dark Age and it was Xenoverse itself that helped pull us out. But all things considering, it really is like there's only one Xenoverse game, with all versions before the present being early access betas. Except each new update was sold at full price and then at $10 for minor updates until we finally got the finished product half a decade later.

Like Star Citizen, but less scammy.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:03 pm

I think it's a bit much to claim that all of the DLCs should have been included from day 1. The base game was acceptably long, and we got free updates along with each DLC. If you want to say that the DLC were overpriced, then I can agree with you. With the exception of the Fu DLC. That one offered a ton of content, including a branching storyline structure I hope is applied to the main quest of XV3.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:37 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:03 pm The base game was acceptably long, and we got free updates along with each DLC.
Wasn't most of the base game just imported from Xenvoverse 1?
ZeroNeonix wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:03 pm With the exception of the Fu DLC. That one offered a ton of content, including a branching storyline structure I hope is applied to the main quest of XV3.
It was a pretty lame storyline apart from the dialogue. It's kind of interesting to see how your mentor interacts with the story, but I could just watch a youtube video and save myself the money and the time, which I shouldn't have to say for a game where what-if scenarios should have been its most interesting feature. I know people say that this DLC was them "testing the waters" for branching storylines, but this and all that DLC, should have been available in the base game.

Edit: Now that I think about it, all this DLC did was place character X into arc X, just like the base game. It did improve, the dialogue is kind of better, but I can't be the only one here that thinks Frieza freaking out over smug Goku isn't enough for the 6th DLC of a $50 game. Especially since the franchise has given it more than enough content to go completely crazy with what-if characters and storylines.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:42 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:37 pmWasn't most of the base game just imported from Xenvoverse 1?
I remember buying it day one, and it was as lame as a sequel could get. I think expecting it to be what it is now is a bit too much, but it should've definitely been more than what it actually was.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:47 pm

I always felt DLCs were suppose to add characters that when the game came out, didn't exist yet, like Jiren, UI, SSBE, Broly, Gogeta, Merged Zamasu... but seeing DLC slots wasted on characters that should've been in at least XV1 like Dabura or Buuhan, not to mention Bojack, Tapion, A-13, I can't even end up speaking well about this feature of XV2. Instead of like at the very least 5 "old characters" we could've gotten 5 new ones like Toppo, Caulifla, Dyspo, Cumber, whoever.

And even the new characters aren't impressive or seem to have gotten the work they deserve while the modders actually did.

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:14 am

At least Android 13, Baby Vegeta, Bojack, Buuhan, Dabura, Tapion and Uub should have been in the base game instead of DLC. They are decades old, not some new characters that debuted in Super.

Not to mention characters like Androids 19 and 20, King Cold, Mecha Frieza, Frieza 2nd and 3rd, and Semi-Perfect Cell, who just...aren't there.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:30 am

ZodiacBeast wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:14 am At least Android 13, Baby Vegeta, Bojack, Buuhan, Dabura, Tapion and Uub should have been in the base game instead of DLC. They are decades old, not some new characters that debuted in Super.

Not to mention characters like Androids 19 and 20, King Cold, Mecha Frieza, Frieza 2nd and 3rd, and Semi-Perfect Cell, who just...aren't there.
I really miss Mecha Freeza lately... like he dissapeared. Saw him last in BT3 and Super DBZ. It is interesting that he has not been included in the Legends mobile game yet. Even Teen Trunks or baseball Yamcha got in!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:41 am

ZodiacBeast wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:14 am At least Android 13, Baby Vegeta, Bojack, Buuhan, Dabura, Tapion and Uub should have been in the base game instead of DLC. They are decades old, not some new characters that debuted in Super.

They definitely made some odd decisions in regards to who got in, such as Freeza's solders over Freeza's 2nd form, including Cell's 1st form but not his 2nd, having Videl in the first game yet making us wait for paid DLC in the 2nd for Dabura and Buuhan.

With that said, the eventual 3rd game is going to be nothing short of massive, including everyone from Z,GT,Super, and possibly Heroes. That's just the base game, the DLC support will probably be even more than this one's.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:44 am

Plus characters like 13 and Dabura already had their outfits in the first game but it took 2 games + DLC to add them? More than a little shady if you ask me. Right now just getting the DLC is more than the premium edition of the game was at launch which is absurd.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:08 am

An outfit is a non-gameplay-affecting, visual-only addition. An outfit has limited animation, if any at all. An outfit does not have new techniques that require balancing against other inclusions.

Please think these things through a little more when making commentary. I don't love the Xenoverse games and I certainly take issue with a lot of their content offerings, but saying "well their outfit was there so why did it take them so long to add the character?" is beyond stretching. They clearly just prioritized other characters.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:17 am

VegettoEX wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:08 am An outfit is a non-gameplay-affecting, visual-only addition. An outfit has limited animation, if any at all. An outfit does not have new techniques that require balancing against other inclusions.

Please think these things through a little more when making commentary. I don't love the Xenoverse games and I certainly take issue with a lot of their content offerings, but saying "well their outfit was there so why did it take them so long to add the character?" is beyond stretching. They clearly just prioritized other characters.
Not really, like Turles is basically just Goku's model with a different outfit, yet he didnt come to the second game. They had the opportunity to put the character in the game but didn't. Xenoverse 2 was called 1.5 for a reason.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:14 pm

With a different outfit, with different moves, with different techniques, with different animation. Again, please think these things through a little more when making commentary. It's kind of stupid and embarrasing to say coming up with characters from scratching is an easy and quick task. Unless you work for them and know how things are, but I doubt that's the case.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:15 pm

About the outfits. That is a thing bothering me since the first game. I understand having Paikuhan’s outfit and not Paikuhan, but having outfits like Trunks’ sleeveless jacket from the movies or Yadrat’s costume for Goku but the charater itself has like 3 costumes (not counting the torn variants) only, that is bothering me since the first game. And the option kind of came in the second game, but fot few characters only and by giving them rudiculously expensive gifts. Why not make the outfits based on actual characters be available for such characters?

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:33 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:14 pm With a different outfit, with different moves, with different techniques, with different animation. Again, please think these things through a little more when making commentary. It's kind of stupid and embarrasing to say coming up with characters from scratching is an easy and quick task. Unless you work for them and know how things are, but I doubt that's the case.
You act as though these characters were made out of the ether with no assets already made that could be used. We know this isn't true as characters like Turles have all debuted in earlier games. Including games made by Dimps. It does, of course, take some work to re-do the models to update them for the current engine, but you're acting as though this is some monumental task when it really isn't. Especially since more than 50% of the game is reusing assets from the previous game.

Telling people that they should be "aware of the work involved" doesn't make the criticism any less relevant or impactful. The character model is effectively already done. All it required was some minor alterations to coloring and shading, change some assets, and *boom* Turles is in. After that is just changing the animations for his move and attacks. However, a lot of these basic movements are utilized in numerous characters, as is standing animations and poses. Those get reused all the time.

No one is suggesting there wasn't work involved, but we can certainly criticize lazy additions to a game, or even the lack of additions that would've been much easier to have included. If you wanted to discuss work involved in developing a game, you should be looking into game companies forcing staff to work 80+hr weeks in crunch periods on games far more expansive and complex than the Xenoverse series. Like CD Projekt Red with the Witcher 3.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:44 pm

Just mind you guys, in the end, we are customers paying for these games... I don’t say that you should not respect work of others, definitely not! But as a customer, I don’t care how company works and if the guys have it hard time working, when I buy the product in the end. Sure, Assasin’s Creed is better, AAA game, done by bigger studio, with lot more people... Not my problem, that Dimps is small studio with few people and puts out mediocre product for the AAA price. I don’t see any reason, why I shouldn’t speak out when buying something and simply tell out loud “Hey, sorry, but your product is crap”.

I can give a slack to my friend, or help person in need, but I don’t see a reason to be kind to a business that I am buying stuff from. For what reason?

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:34 pm

What the heck? Is Veku like a pet or something? What's going on here?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:18 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:34 pm
He's a pet.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:37 pm

Kanassa wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:18 pm
ZeroNeonix wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:34 pm
He's a pet.
:? I didn't want a pet though...

On another note; I like the Pure Majin transformation, but the stamina issue and not being able to go through portals is a real pain. Also, the way that they "balanced" the male and female majins made the male ones very niche (at best) and the females ones pretty OP.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:30 am

I really wish they would just give us the damn release dates for this DLC. Waited months assuming it'd come out this month.

"Nah here's a fat Gogeta pet you can get when it does come out though."

I'm going to be pissed if they keep dragging this out and it isn't out next month.