Old Broly VS New Broly

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yosheets
Not-So-Newbie

Old Broly VS New Broly

Post by Yosheets » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:20 am

Which do you prefer, and why?

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Old Broly VS New Broly

Post by Peach » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:34 am

Old Broly by a mile. The crying backstory aside, he was a badass. I like his personality, his sadism, and his design much more.

Super made Paragus cooler, but made Broly into a generic brute and tarzan.

Locust
Beyond Newbie

Post by Locust » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:46 am

New Broly

I like that the newer movie gave a better motivation for Paragus to be the way he is, and his subsequent grooming of Broly to be like a weapon
Being stuck on a planet for decades is surely a hellish scenario
Even as a kid, watching the older Broly movie, I just kind of felt, with regards to Paragus, "this is weird, why doesn't he just move on, holding a grudge like this is a bit pathetic"
But certainly, for the newer movie, such a grudge is more understandable - and is more impactful to Paragus raising Broly to be the way he is

I like the more Tarzen-esque version of Broly - I just have an overall fondness for characters like that, almost feral

I really enjoy that when he loses control, he just cannot talk at all - again, as with the above, I just like ferality - this idea that he's almost regressing into something primal

I do like older Broly, there's a lot of things I enjoy about that movie even still, but just for me - Super!Broly is just more interesting and has more potential for future character building
Last edited by Locust on Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I just wanna punch god in the face"
My English can be weak, please forgive mistakes/confusingly phrased sentences
Letterboxd

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:46 am

Classic Broly. His backstory was far more brutal, showing just how bad Saiyans were. I also prefer him to be a monster out of the gate instead of the forced sympathetic road they took with modern Broly. One minute he doesn't like fighting, the next he attacks Goku and Vegeta without question. At the time, Classic Broly's power was very impressive, being able to trash 4 Ssjs and a Super Namakian at once. With modern Broly, we were constantly told about how strong he was, yet he was either getting beat up (Vegeta/Gogeta) or at best just holding his own (Goku). The only time he had the upper hand was in a gag fight against Freeza...which in itself ruins Freeza.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:06 am

New Broly. He has more of a personality as well as sympathizing traits that make him further relatable; as opposed to simply being a deranged & sadistic baddie kept in check by Xanax-brand jewelry. New Broly is not a savage beast by choice but by unique Saiyan biology forcing him to lose control, not too dissimilar to the Hulk. Old Broly would lose control because it was seemingly just his "natural state" and that he preferred to be that way.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:28 am

The new Broly. Not necessarily because he's a great character (although he's still miles better than the old one), but because of everything that surrounds it. His backstory, Paragus, Cheelai, Lemo and how he relates with them. Everything is much more engrossing and interesting. And as a result it makes me invest in his story. Also, Toriyama's premise is much less far-fetched than Toei's.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:53 am

theherodjl wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:06 amAs opposed to simply being a deranged & sadistic baddie kept in check by Xanax-brand jewelry.

New Broly is not a savage beast by choice but by unique Saiyan biology forcing him to lose control, Old Broly would lose control because it was seemingly just his "natural state" and that he preferred to be that way.
Never mind the fact that new Broly is also kept in check by his father through a gadget around his neck.

So they're both the same ? you're using different words but the basic concept is the same, they both lose control due to their biology being unnatural.
Luso Saiyan wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:28 amAlso, Toriyama's premise is much less far-fetched than Toei's.
Toei's premise: A Saiyan born with extreme power that scares King Vegeta into trying to kill him, only to fail and have his father use him as a weapon for revenge due to his uncontrollable power.

Toriyama's premise: A Saiyan born with extreme power that scares King Vegeta into exiling him in hopes of the planet killing him, only to fail and have his father use him as a weapon for revenge due to his uncontrollable power.

I'm sorry, but they're literally the same. Sure you've got some differences here and there, but it's basically the same character with the same backstory.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:50 am

DBS Broly, Lemo and Cheelai are better then Goku, Krillin and Bulma in early Dragon Ball....fight me

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:34 am

Old Broly (mainly the first movie). I prefer his two different facets, his story is more tragic and his design is more unique. The new one is very appealing too, but I'm not a fan of this "let's become friends with Goku" schema. As touching as he can be, I don't like his soft nature.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:34 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:53 amI'm sorry, but they're literally the same. Sure you've got some differences here and there, but it's basically the same character with the same backstory.
It basically isn't, hence the considerable differences and why people prefer one over the other. The fact that there are similar elements doesn't make them the same premise.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:48 am

New Broly in a bigger stomp than Great Ape Vegeta on Goku’s legs.

I prefer him being exiled and ultimately stuck on a single terrible planet with his father over him escaping planet vegeta’s destruction day of as a baby after the assassination attempt

I prefer him being a man that at the end of the day is just trying to please his father’s lust for revenge over him being a “sadistic” (like a lot of movie and series villains)

I love the fact that his wrath state brings the great ape form back in a similar way to how SSJ4 did

It’s not like I don’t like Z Broly, but between him and DBS, I’d take the DBS version in a heartbeat

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:13 am

Honestly? Both have their merits.

Classic Broly works as a chaotic villain who wishes for nothing more than destruction and death (of Kakarot). But he sucks as a personality, frankly, by no fault of his own. It was a movie, he wasn't supposed to last, I get that.

New Broly, on the other hand, is a much more fleshed character with sympathetic motivations, and is now part of a power trio that is pretty wholesome. He isn't a villain, and that's a really interesting take on him.

Now, if I were to list a single flaw with both of them, it would be as follows: as said before, Old Broly is pretty generic as far as villains go. He's just a strong guy who's evil to the core for the sake of being defeated by Goku at the end of the movie. He has flashes of interesting material, like the legend around his transformation, and his obsession with killing Goku thanks to a mix of psycopathic sadism and a sort of ptsd. The movies could have played that angle of his more, but alas, he wasn't meant to last.

New Broly, however, has a big problem when compared to his predecessor: he's passive to a fault. He has no motivation of his own, and is perfectly happy just following people around. He's a good boy, but he never does anything in his own film by his own wish. The fact that he's a berserker only makes it worse, since he can lose control of himself as soon as someone enables it (specifically, Paragus merely pointed at a target and said "Broly, sic!"). In other words, he lacks initiative, agency. Which old Broly has by the gallons after getting free of his father's control.

TLDR;

They both have pros and cons, so I like them both.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:32 pm

Canon Broly by far.

I hate everything about the old version. His backstory, his character, his looks, etc. There's nothing salvageable.

Canon Broly is better at everything and made the movie for me, he also has a lot of potential for future storylines. I can't wait to see him again.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:40 pm

I second Locust.

Also, New Broli is so cute. And hunky. With rock hard muscles...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:51 pm

personally I am against the idea that everything old .. is good by default and then the fans demands to do new things when they are not given the opportunity ... I think that broly fulfilled his purpose in the first movie ... but if you decide to stretch the "gum" when you have a character that was not made to be long-lasting you get bio-broly or broly second coming

I like the new broly because it is more "coherent" and shows more humanity which makes its interactions interesting

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:54 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:51 pmIf you decide to stretch the "gum" when you have a character that was not made to be long-lasting you get bio-broly or broly second coming.
You can add Cooler's second movie to that, as well as Garlic Jr's filler arc.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:12 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:54 pm
Tai Lung wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:51 pmIf you decide to stretch the "gum" when you have a character that was not made to be long-lasting you get bio-broly or broly second coming.
You can add Cooler's second movie to that, as well as Garlic Jr's filler arc.
that's right ...

But I will say that the "big gete star" is a great idea just that ... because cooler is frieza

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:00 pm

I'm not interested in either of them, but I will say that design-wise I vastly prefer New Broly. With that armor he looks surprisingly elegant for a Saiyan brute. A shame he eventually loses it...

preds4343

Post by preds4343 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:50 pm

Both are fine.

Old Broly is a badass, and his M8 self was cocky, evil, legendary, and acted like an evil but genuine Saiyan "LSS". Also, to who that may be confused, Z Broly's backstory did NOT involve Kakarot crying. That was just a crappy misconception that far too many people took. It was based on the idea that Goku and Broly were born DESTINED to be rivals. Before DBS Broly, Z Broly played the destiny card. Rewatch M8.

New Broly is also badass, but isn't evil nor "legendary". He's primal, chaotic, but can also be chill asf. He's basically the pure definition of a "primal" Saiyan. They also pulled the "fate" card with New Broly, but it doesn't work at all for BOTH Broly's. Seriously. It misses the mark completely on both ends. Vegeta had no connection with Old Broly outside of the generic Paragus hatred that rubbed off on Broly. Oh, and King Vegeta stabbed him as a baby, even tho he probably doesn't even remember that? The exact same thing applies to Vegeta with new Broly, but without the whole "stabbed" as a baby thing. At least new Broly was exiled as a toddler, I guess. But that doesn't mean shit...

Doesn't help that Goku doesn't fit with the whole DBS Broly "fate" card at all outside of "Oh, he's also a Saiyan that survived Planet Vegeta's destruction" and "He fought Broly with Vegeta and saw good in him". It doesn't work.

Outside of that though, both are nice.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:23 pm

Old Broly by far. He felt more like a threat and his lines were much better while New Broly was a manbaby who barely spoke.