Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:07 am

I think there is potential in Cooler being integrated into canon. They could get mileage out of actually showing his dynamic with Freeza, and I proposed a potential backstory for him that I think would work pretty well.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:00 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:23 am
Alruneia wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:29 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:44 pm I have to wonder if the apparent prominence of many of the movie villains is an indication that at least one or two of them will receive the Broly and Gogeta treatment of becoming “canon” in the near future, or if they’re just going to be relegated to this.
I don't think it's got anything to do with being brought into canon. Instead, I think it's more a case of "let's make new cards for these neglected characters we have and maybe increase sales". Either way, we still have no clue what's going on with the supposed next Super movie, and the Moro arc is probably not gonna end until like November or later, so it'd probably be a bit soon to make any predictions for Super based on what Heroes is doing right now.

Also this episode was awful.
Honestly of all the one-off movie villains, I can't think of anyone besides Broly that had the potential to be re-integrated into the modern DB universe, and be able to be transformed into an interesting character. Maybe Cooler due to the Freeza connection? Or perhaps Tullace or Bojack?
Tullece can work! Make him into Bardock's younger brother that Bardock leaves for dead on a planet after a mission. Perhaps Tullece was a particularly nasty Saiyan and Bardock--who we know in Dragon Ball Super: Broli was becoming tired of the Saiyan way--decided to leave Tullece behind (and supposedly dead). Perhaps they had a fight over Tullece's meddling in how Raditz was being raised and Gine didn't like Raditz being such a disturbing influence on Raditz? So, the two brothers fight, Bardock wins and kicks Tullece into a massive ravine...but Tullece survived and eventually found the fruit of the Shinseiju, which restored his power? Fast-forward to post-Moro and Tullece comes to Earth pretending to be reformed, tries to sneak his way into Son Goten's heart (playing the role of the 'poor younger brother' nobody cares about), learns about the Dragon Balls and hatches a plan to revive Raditz, Bardock and Gine so he can torture them for revenge? This way we get a sort of 'Bardock family reunion', which would be a hell of a marketing gimmick for a new film. Just throw in a new Super Saiyan form that Tullece and Raditz acquire from the Shinseiju and Bandai will be wetting themselves.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:37 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:00 am
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:23 am
Alruneia wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:29 pm
I don't think it's got anything to do with being brought into canon. Instead, I think it's more a case of "let's make new cards for these neglected characters we have and maybe increase sales". Either way, we still have no clue what's going on with the supposed next Super movie, and the Moro arc is probably not gonna end until like November or later, so it'd probably be a bit soon to make any predictions for Super based on what Heroes is doing right now.

Also this episode was awful.
Honestly of all the one-off movie villains, I can't think of anyone besides Broly that had the potential to be re-integrated into the modern DB universe, and be able to be transformed into an interesting character. Maybe Cooler due to the Freeza connection? Or perhaps Tullace or Bojack?
Tullece can work! Make him into Bardock's younger brother that Bardock leaves for dead on a planet after a mission. Perhaps Tullece was a particularly nasty Saiyan and Bardock--who we know in Dragon Ball Super: Broli was becoming tired of the Saiyan way--decided to leave Tullece behind (and supposedly dead). Perhaps they had a fight over Tullece's meddling in how Raditz was being raised and Gine didn't like Raditz being such a disturbing influence on Raditz? So, the two brothers fight, Bardock wins and kicks Tullece into a massive ravine...but Tullece survived and eventually found the fruit of the Shinseiju, which restored his power? Fast-forward to post-Moro and Tullece comes to Earth pretending to be reformed, tries to sneak his way into Son Goten's heart (playing the role of the 'poor younger brother' nobody cares about), learns about the Dragon Balls and hatches a plan to revive Raditz, Bardock and Gine so he can torture them for revenge? This way we get a sort of 'Bardock family reunion', which would be a hell of a marketing gimmick for a new film. Just throw in a new Super Saiyan form that Tullece and Raditz acquire from the Shinseiju and Bandai will be wetting themselves.
Hadn't Toyo drawn some kind of doodle with Turtles? Perhaps I'm lying to myself.

Anyway, issue here isn't tullece, but his look. We got Goku Black, so tullece needs to look kinda different this time around.
P O W E R

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:41 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:23 amHonestly of all the one-off movie villains, I can't think of anyone besides Broly that had the potential to be re-integrated into the modern DB universe, and be able to be transformed into an interesting character. Maybe Cooler due to the Freeza connection? Or perhaps Tullace or Bojack?
No, I don't think we need Cooler, and exactly because of that. No need for more Freeza connection. The exception and the only member of Freeza race that can bring something to the table is Kuriza, but seeing that they won't use him, it's high time we should move on from Freeza.

We also don't need yet another Goku lookalike, especially one that attempts to perform the role of "evil Goku" without being the real Goku.

Bojack and his gang is good, but only if they actually be space pirates. With a space ship and a space crew, doing exactly what pirates did. This way, I think they can be very unique and very interesting.

And the only movie villain worth and with all the potential of a reboot is Janemba. He only lacks a personality of his own, so that's a great opportunity to give it to him and make him the best villain alright.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:56 pm

You know, something recently occurred to me. We have a bird which is an exaggerated, cartoonish-looking animal, with weird supernatural powers, who only says his own name.

Tokitoki is a Pokemon.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:45 am

Damn, Putine should have got more screentime (and hopefully she does!). Please give me more of ice techniques! :D

Salsa design is so much better now.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:29 am

Hey this wasn't bad. Except from the 2 panels where everyone is together to fire at Janemba and the animation is looking wacky, the rest is rather nice. Some fludi animation for the SS4s and the Blues vs Janemba.

I must admit that I always liked the Japanese voice acting for Janemba tho. The dub absolutely nailed it. Wish they went on that route as well.

Salsa and Putine. Hm, I guess we should have expected their arrival since they were shown to be part of the new card set with no apparent connection to the arc. And I prefer this far more than getting Super 17 or Cooler all over again.

Glad they will do the new form reveal on the next episode. Janemba feels like a mini-boss that will be defeated in the next part. I wouldn't mind him as the enemy for like, 3 more episodes tbh.

And now the 2 ex-demon gods (?) seem to have a reason to assist the Time Patrol? Hmmm... Putine looks good ngl.
P O W E R

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:25 am

Janemba's voice is different than in the original movie, I wonder why he changed his tone. Or maybe he forgot since it's been a while.

It was more demonic in original Fusion Reborn.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:33 am

Is this Dragon Ball or Power Rangers i'm watching right now? Who are those characters at the end and why do they look like they came from a bootleg Final Fantasy game?

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:44 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:33 am Is this Dragon Ball or Power Rangers i'm watching right now? Who are those characters at the end and why do they look like they came from a bootleg Final Fantasy game?
Actually these characters have been touched upon in the past. They are from the Demon realm and on the previous Demon Realm Missions, we're sided with Mechikaboola.

Actually the whole set it very interesting with the time patrol etc.

It still feels dragon ball to me, but just more modern. The concepts heroes plays with are very unique.
P O W E R

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:55 am

Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:44 am
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:33 am Is this Dragon Ball or Power Rangers i'm watching right now? Who are those characters at the end and why do they look like they came from a bootleg Final Fantasy game?
Actually these characters have been touched upon in the past. They are from the Demon realm and on the previous Demon Realm Missions, we're sided with Mechikaboola.

It still feels dragon ball to me, but just more modern. The concepts heroes plays with are very unique.
But does it feel like a Dragon Ball that Toriyama would write? I liked Heroes at the beginning were it was mostly What if's but now i feel like it has jump the shark. All this new characters look like they came from another series.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:01 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:55 am
Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:44 am

But does it feel like a Dragon Ball that Toriyama would write? I liked Heroes at the beginning were it was mostly What if's but now i feel like it has jump the shark. All this new characters look like they came from another series.
Maybe not something Toriyama would do now. Cause he lacks motivation.

Buuuuut he was first at stating that there's demon versions of the Kaioshin and Kaios. So heroes just took the concept and clearly worked with it. Even if we lack confirmation that it's actually like that.

We can't expect Toriyama to make stuff forever. And if he wanted he could have stopped any form of publications after the Z manga ended. It was his creation after all.

I think the heroes is currently playing with more Toriyama-thought scenarios that would never make it into the main timeline somehow. Plus what ifs and the current meeting of the 2 major timelines.
P O W E R

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:24 am

I'm loving these episodes.
We finally have ss3 trunks in the anime! (even for 5 seconds xD)

p.s. a monthly release from now on has been announced.

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:59 am

Nice episode, especially ssj4 vs janemba. Hell has some nice colors.
Gt91 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:24 amp.s. a monthly release from now on has been announced.
Wow, seriously? Do you have a source for that?

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:28 am

Mnich wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:59 am Nice episode, especially ssj4 vs janemba. Hell has some nice colors.
Gt91 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:24 amp.s. a monthly release from now on has been announced.
Sure :thumbup:

https://twitter.com/DBSChronicles/statu ... 9441619968

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:46 am

Gt91 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:28 am
Mnich wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:59 am Nice episode, especially ssj4 vs janemba. Hell has some nice colors.
Sure :thumbup:

https://twitter.com/DBSChronicles/statu ... 9441619968
Not trying to spread misinformation, but if somehow that translated info is correct, there is only one way to interpret it.

This isn't an energy donation like Super Full Power Saiyan 4, but Salsa and Putine give their God ki from being Demon Gods to Goku and Vegeta? So basically SS4, but with God ki. I can see advantages there, but not actual power increases.

Also, the mystery remains whether these 2 still have access to their Demon God powers. They don't appear to have the red-markings from before. So are they already in the 1st Demon God form or not?

BrUh, can't wait to see what happens.
P O W E R

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:19 pm

Ugh! I dont think I can power through any of this anymore. Not only does this not feel like DB ( It hardly has to start with) but it was ugly to boot. This felt like watching some generic Pokemon/RPG cutscenes with a cheap K-mart level DB skin on it

SS3 Trunks is hardly anthing worth getting excited over since it's literally been a thing since 2009. I was at least hoping we could see the formation of the New Janemba but instead we get introduced to him already in the heat of battle, lame.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:32 pm

Just a word to the wise, we do always post our own translation of episode titles and descriptions each time one of these is announced (along with any extra context about release schedules);

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2020/07/30/s ... announced/
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:07 pm

I don't watch this, but I just wanna say Janemba's new form is one of the best recolors I ever saw in this franchise! :thumbup:
If someday they decide to reboot another old villain in the main story, I would rather Janemba over Coola.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:15 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:41 pm
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:23 amHonestly of all the one-off movie villains, I can't think of anyone besides Broly that had the potential to be re-integrated into the modern DB universe, and be able to be transformed into an interesting character. Maybe Cooler due to the Freeza connection? Or perhaps Tullace or Bojack?
No, I don't think we need Cooler, and exactly because of that. No need for more Freeza connection. The exception and the only member of Freeza race that can bring something to the table is Kuriza, but seeing that they won't use him, it's high time we should move on from Freeza.

We also don't need yet another Goku lookalike, especially one that attempts to perform the role of "evil Goku" without being the real Goku.

Bojack and his gang is good, but only if they actually be space pirates. With a space ship and a space crew, doing exactly what pirates did. This way, I think they can be very unique and very interesting.

And the only movie villain worth and with all the potential of a reboot is Janemba. He only lacks a personality of his own, so that's a great opportunity to give it to him and make him the best villain alright.
Yeah now that i'm imagining it, having Bojack make a comeback as some dastardly crew of space pirates sounds cool :lol:
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,