The Dragonball Misinformation Thread.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: The Dragonball Misinformation Thread.

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:57 pm

Sadala Elite wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:25 pm
Hey buddy, you already responded to me in the other thread, which I've now responded to. No need to necro this one too, quoting a post I made over a month ago. I won't hear you better if you tell me something from two directions.
Sadala Elite wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:29 pm - That Ultra Instinct isn't a power boost.
I mean, it's a transformation; all Dragon Ball transformations are power boosts.
I had hoped they'd use the central idea of Ultra Instinct, that it's more a state of mind that makes you fight in a really amazing way rather than just making you punch harder, but alas, they went the less interesting route. Oh well.
Sadala Elite wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:29 pm - That Toriyama was in any way forced to create DBS out of some obligation.
lol. Indeed. IIRC it's generally understood that Toei approached him about BOG, expecting him to turn them down as usual, but he ended up being on-board, and staying on board all the way into Super. I imagine if/when he steps down, it won't be because he's been released from some obligation, but because he's decided to step down; just like the original run.
Sadala Elite wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:29 pm - That Toriyama actually has an official outline written somewhere for DBS.
Well, this one at least has SOME basis in reality; he writes an outline for each arc, which then goes to both Toei and Toyotaro simultaneously, and each have historically adapted from it independently. (Though I think this may have changed more recently? Apparently the Moro arc was largely planned out by Toyotaro? And of course, it's not got an anime version yet. And Broly was scripted by Toriyama, rather than being outlined for anme and manga)

But yeah, Toriyama has never really been one for big, in-advance plans, and I doubt that suddenly changed for Super.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:48 pm

Kakacarrottop wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:05 am
Robo4900 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:30 pm
On a similar note:

The notion that Shuki Levy composed any music for Dragon Ball.
All available information points to Ron Wasserman being the sole composer of the Saban dub's replacement score.
Shuki Levy was always credited for music that Saban provided, but a lot of the time, it was actually composed by one of many independent contractors, such as Wasserman.
(Also, as bonus trivia: Wasserman tried to reach out to Funi about returning to score DBZ after Saban dropped it, but they didn't return his calls)
Ron Wasserman has said on numerous occasions that he had nothing to do with Rock the Dragon though, which a lot of people are starting to miscredit to him. A guy from Saban named Jeremy Sweet probably sang it since he's listed in the credits alongside Wasserman as a "music producer", and did a lot of other theme songs for Saban which makes his voice easy to identify.

But, for all we know, Shuki Levy could have had a hand in composing the music to that song, without actually singing it.
Considering what a creep Levy turned out to be, I was very relived to find out he had very little to do with composing the music to the Ocean dub as now I can watch it without getting an uneasy feeling. Speaking of the Ocean dub, there was a lot of misinformation early on that Funimation were responsible for the ridiculous censorship in that dub when in reality it was Saban calling the shots(something that Chris Psaros copped to, as he too initially believed that the censoring was all Funi's doing) on what they could and could not show(I.E. the infamous "look I can see their parachutes!" scene, originally they were told by Saban to cut the entire scene and that line had to be put in to allow it to be shown at all)
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:17 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:48 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:30 pm
On a similar note:

The notion that Shuki Levy composed any music for Dragon Ball.
All available information points to Ron Wasserman being the sole composer of the Saban dub's replacement score.
Shuki Levy was always credited for music that Saban provided, but a lot of the time, it was actually composed by one of many independent contractors, such as Wasserman.
(Also, as bonus trivia: Wasserman tried to reach out to Funi about returning to score DBZ after Saban dropped it, but they didn't return his calls)
Ron Wasserman has said on numerous occasions that he had nothing to do with Rock the Dragon though, which a lot of people are starting to miscredit to him. A guy from Saban named Jeremy Sweet probably sang it since he's listed in the credits alongside Wasserman as a "music producer", and did a lot of other theme songs for Saban which makes his voice easy to identify.

But, for all we know, Shuki Levy could have had a hand in composing the music to that song, without actually singing it.
Considering what a creep Levy turned out to be, I was very relived to find out he had very little to do with composing the music to the Ocean dub as now I can watch it without getting an uneasy feeling. Speaking of the Ocean dub, there was a lot of misinformation early on that Funimation were responsible for the ridiculous censorship in that dub when in reality it was Saban calling the shots(something that Chris Psaros copped to, as he too initially believed that the censoring was all Funi's doing) on what they could and could not show(I.E. the infamous "look I can see their parachutes!" scene, originally they were told by Saban to cut the entire scene and that line had to be put in to allow it to be shown at all)
The over the top level of censorship required was the fault of Saban but the often idiotic work arounds to appease Saban was usually Funimation’s fault. The example you listed is a good one, why not just cut it entirely like Saban requested if Funimation’s solution (have Tien say he can see their parachutes!) is just stupid and an insult to their six-year old audience’s intelligence. Or the hell episode, it was completely easy to skip entirely and Funimation decided to just do the stupid HFIL fix. Or just wipe clean the Hell on the ogre’s shirt and leave it blank and refer to the place as the underworld or something, the ultimate uncut redub ended up avoiding calling it hell anyways.

And Funimation’s own internal censorship would end up being ridiculous anyways for both their own edited material for season 3 onwards and for their uncut material

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:23 pm

pepd wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:01 am Something I keep seeing is people tell dbs newbies that the movies where “retconned” with/in the anime or are “no longer” canon, when they are just different continuities.

I mean....as far as I recall when Battle of Gods and Resurrection F came out they were considered “canon” and part of the official story so Dragon Ball Super retelling them for television story arcs would in fact retcon them.

Of course canon is practically arbitrary. Before Super Broli I don’t think much of anyone was arguing the Bardock tv special didn’t count as canon

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:24 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:17 pm

The over the top level of censorship required was the fault of Saban but the often idiotic work arounds to appease Saban was usually Funimation’s fault. The example you listed is a good one, why not just cut it entirely like Saban requested if Funimation’s solution (have Tien say he can see their parachutes!) is just stupid and an insult to their six-year old audience’s intelligence. Or the hell episode, it was completely easy to skip entirely and Funimation decided to just do the stupid HFIL fix. Or just wipe clean the Hell on the ogre’s shirt and leave it blank and refer to the place as the underworld or something, the ultimate uncut redub ended up avoiding calling it hell anyways.

And Funimation’s own internal censorship would end up being ridiculous anyways for both their own edited material for season 3 onwards and for their uncut material
Personally I'd rather have the scene mostly intact with dumb dialogue over it then cutting it period. I thought HFIL was funny as hell so I didn't mind that(though even as a kid I had a pretty good idea of what it really meant).
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:50 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:17 pm

Saban did a lot of censorship to the Ocean dub

Like, they allowed death to be directly said on episodes 1-3, but for some reason, they backed out, and instead just use euphemisms like Destroy or Exterminate from episode 4-14, but then, they didn't allowed them to say that, so they forced them to say the next dimension from that point onward

And they were pretty inconsistent to be honest

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:14 pm

More Ocean dub misinformation. It's possible I've talked about some of this already, I can't be bothered to go back and read all 6 pages so far:

1. "The Ocean actors were told to imitate the Funi cast when the Westwood dub started up."
This is utter horseshit, and easily disproved by just... Taking a second to actually watch some Westwood dub stuff... -_-

2. "The Ocean Dub" itself is somewhat a misnomer, but quite a minor one in a lot of ways... The first Canadian dubbing was the BLT dub, which was DB 1-13, DB movie 1, and the unreleased "Vendar dub" of DBZ movie 1 (which featured Ian Corlett's first time playing Goku). Ocean had zero involvement in this dub. Funimation worked with Josanne B Lovick Productions (apparently later known as BLT?... Though info I've seen suggests BLT was a company also run by Josanne B Lovick, but which only handled video production, so stuff like the censorship, the OP/ED visuals, etc.), and distributed BLT DB through SeaGull Entertainment. Next, when they worked with Saban, they only used Ocean's recording studio (replacing the Dick & Rogers studio used previously), and handled most of the paperwork themselves and/or with Saban. As the Saban dub continued on, they realised it would be easier if they had Ocean act as a local producer, handling the union paperwork and such. The details of this deal later allowed Ocean to produce their own dubs, initially using their production arm, Westwood Media, though later (for Kai), after Westwood became defunct, it was produced at Ocean.

3. "The reason for Funi dropping Ocean was because they couldn't afford them anymore..."
I really don't think this is true. It sounds like the initial plan for "Season 3" of Z was to continue using Ocean, but Barry Watson didn't like to fly out to Canada, and Chris Sabat (who, at the time, was a producer mainly) suggested they could cut costs by figuring out a way to do it in-house. The two of them managed to convince Gen Fukunaga to let them try doing it locally instead, and they decided it worked well enough to go ahead with this method. Was this cost-saving strictly-speaking an essential thing? No, almost certainly not. But, the reality of this kind of production is they're always looking for ways to save money. Ocean themselves are guilty of this, in the Saban days being just as guilty as Funimation of not paying the actors for screams, and later, in 2003, when union rules changes would have made Ocean have to pay their actors a bit more, they moved production of Dragon Ball GT to Calgary (where it stayed for DB).
Additionally, Peter Kelamis's comments on this suggest the money savings from dropping Ocean can't have been that enormous, realistically; the actors were paid about a dollar or two per line (with screams not counting as lines until after the Saban dub was finished).

4. "Ocean weren't involved with Funi's dub AT ALL after the Saban dub finished."
This is definitely false. Terry Klassen was still scripting for Funi as late as GT, and Ocean still distributed Dragon Ball to Canada. In fact, starting from when the Garlic Jr. saga began airing, Ocean began making their own edits of each episode too (including all previously-aired episodes; from Garlic Jr. onwards, all reairings used the Ocean edits). No one seems to know why this happened, but Ocean's edits were slightly better than Funi's in general, using alternate lines in places Funi's sometimes failed to (Funi's TV dub: "Don't piss off the dragon god of love!" I forget what the alternate line was, but a TV-save alternate was indeed recorded, which was used by Ocean for their edit). This TV edit was also the debut of the Anitunes "Dragon Ball Z" opening theme.

5. "The Westwood dub was scored by Tom Keenlyside, John Mitchell, and David Iris, who mostly reused their own work from Mega Man."
This is a fundamental misunderstanding of how Anitunes works on shows. They are sent a few episodes of a show, they score it, then the company they were hired by uses pieces of this score to assemble the score of future episodes (a bit like how Kikuchi would score a Dragon Ball Z movie, then Toei would reuse those cues throughout the series). They actually didn't do an original score for any DBZ episodes until fairly late in the game (around the time of the Fusion saga), so for the most part, how the Westwood episodes were scored is that Ocean's editors would use their library music (basically all of which was composed by Anitunes), and use whatever tracks they thought would fit a moment. Often this was done in quite a hurry, so the score could often be a bit bland and repetitive; in particular, a lot of the Cell arc had some really weird, sometimes quite unfitting placements. By the time the Great Saiyaman saga begins, though, things had settled into a better rhythm. It also helped that around this time, Anitunes did a session of scoring for Monster Rancher, so its music was also added to the Dragon Ball Z music library.
And, of course, when Ocean came to dub OG Dragon Ball, there were a few insert songs they either didn't think they had the license for, or they knew an insert song went there but were missing a usable copy of it, so for some of these insert songs, they used their library music, which many people recognised as the Westwood DBZ score.
The only oddity here is that it seems Anitunes were sent the opening visuals that were used for the Saban dub, and asked to create a new opening theme over that for the Ocean edits of the Funi episodes of DBZ that aired on YTV. This opening was then used on the Westwood dub, though the UK airings sloppily replaced some shots of the visuals ("sloppily" because the new shots don't match the SFX, grunts, etc. in the song).

6. "Ocean Kai doesn't exist" or "Ocean Kai can't ever be released", or any other such thing.
All 98 episodes exist in a form that could have been aired at any time in the past 7-10 years, but Funimation pulled some strings to ensure Kix UK weren't offered Ocean's dub, and unfortunately, Canadian outlets just aren't very interested in airing anime, so even though Ocean Kai is still shopped around to this day, it's simply failed to find an outlet so far. There's no reason to believe it will never come out, though similarly, there's no reason to believe it will come out any time soon.

7. "Ocean Kai aired once in South Korea!"
No, it didn't. Ocean Kai has never been commercially exploited to this day. The way certain people were talking about it closer to the time, it sounds like there was a deal lined up when production began, but it sounds like it fell through for some reason.
The only audio or video that has ever publicly surfaced of Ocean Kai is this tiny snippet of the ending of the opening from the dub's online editing supervisor's demo reel.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:15 pm

Robo4900 wrote: 2. "The Ocean Dub" itself is somewhat a misnomer, but quite a minor one in a lot of ways... The first Canadian dubbing was the BLT dub, which was DB 1-13, DB movie 1, and the unreleased "Vendar dub" of DBZ movie 1 (which featured Ian Corlett's first time playing Goku). Ocean had zero involvement in this dub. Funimation worked with Josanne B Lovick Productions (apparently later known as BLT?... Though info I've seen suggests BLT was a company also run by Josanne B Lovick, but which only handled video production, so stuff like the censorship, the OP/ED visuals, etc.), and distributed BLT DB through SeaGull Entertainment. Next, when they worked with Saban, they only used Ocean's recording studio (replacing the Dick & Rogers studio used previously), and handled most of the paperwork themselves and/or with Saban. As the Saban dub continued on, they realised it would be easier if they had Ocean act as a local producer, handling the union paperwork and such. The details of this deal later allowed Ocean to produce their own dubs, initially using their production arm, Westwood Media, though later (for Kai), after Westwood became defunct, it was produced at Ocean.
But honestly calling the 1996-1998 syndicated dub the Ocean dub or Saban dub is misleading because it’s still Funimation’s dub. Which is why I think you get fans blaming Ocean and/or Saban for stuff like Goku’s brilliant scientist father or Goku accusing Vegeta of killing his grandpa. When it was all Funimation.

Referring to the 1995 Dragon Ball dub as the Ocean dub is just plain incorrect of course but fans still do it.
3. "The reason for Funi dropping Ocean was because they couldn't afford them anymore..."
It’s of course complete horseshit and example #3456 of fans giving Funimation a pass by pretending an incompetent business decision was out of their control. Firing the Ocean cast was just a cost cutting measure as well as to make it easier on Barry Watson so he didn’t have to keep flying back and forth. I’ve seen a lot of fans stating that Saban and Funimation’s parting is what lead to Funi being unable to afford the Ocean Group which makes no sense as Saban wasn’t paying the Ocean cast. And Ian Corlett confirmed Ocean got the job because they were cheap. Funimation was certainly not paying premium rates to use the Ocean cast.
, and Chris Sabat (who, at the time, was a producer mainly) suggested they could cut costs by figuring out a way to do it in-house. The two of them managed to convince Gen Fukunaga to let them try doing it locally instead, and they decided it worked well enough to go ahead with this method.
Chris Sabat wasn’t involved until after it was decided to move things in-house. He had nothing to do with the dub pre-Sleeping Princess

4. "Ocean weren't involved with Funi's dub AT ALL after the Saban dub finished."
This is definitely false. Terry Klassen was still scripting for Funi as late as GT, and Ocean still distributed Dragon Ball to Canada.
And Ward Perry, who voiced Kochin(?) and wrote the English ADR for the Pioneer dub joined the writing staff around Garlic Jr and stayed on at least through Dragon Ball.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:36 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:15 pm Chris Sabat wasn’t involved until after it was decided to move things in-house. He had nothing to do with the dub pre-Sleeping Princess
I thought he was brought in when season 3 began. I'll have to try to dig it out, but I was sure I read an article in which Sabat implies he got involved at that point and he was one of the people who convinced Gen Fukunaga to move things in-house.
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:15 pm And Ward Perry, who voiced Kochin(?) and wrote the English ADR for the Pioneer dub joined the writing staff around Garlic Jr and stayed on at least through Dragon Ball.
Oh yeah, can't believe I forgot about him. :)

He's one of their best, if the Pioneer movies are anything to go by. :)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:28 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:36 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:15 pm Chris Sabat wasn’t involved until after it was decided to move things in-house. He had nothing to do with the dub pre-Sleeping Princess
I thought he was brought in when season 3 began. I'll have to try to dig it out, but I was sure I read an article in which Sabat implies he got involved at that point and he was one of the people who convinced Gen Fukunaga to move things in-house.
http://www.angelfire.com/dbz/somerandom ... chris.html

(I know you told me that you worked in radio and then found out about an opening to voice a character) I was wondering what character that was? For what show? How did you get the position of Voice Director?
As I said earlier, I was living and working in Denton. I met many incredible people there. One of them, and I'll refer to her by her cyber-tag, Agent Mai ( some of the Internet hounds know who she is ) was working for FUNimation and told me that they were holding auditions for a Dragon Ball movie "Sleeping Princess In Devil's Castle". I was cast for the parts of Yamcha and Igor. A couple months later I was called to help the Producer/Director cast and schedule a new band of actors -- the current cast of Dragon Ball Z. Trying to find voice matches for the Canadian cast was one heck of a task, and we must have auditioned over 500 people. When production kicked in, I started as an Assistant Voice Director under Barry Watson and eventually started directing the episodes myself.

He was hired after the decision was made to move production to Texas but did help cast for season 3.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:30 pm

Here's one piece of misinformation that goes way back:

Does anyone here remember the classic "Tapion gave Future Trunks his sword" fallacy? For those who are new, there was a thing where a lot of people believed that Tapion, from Movie 13, gave Future Trunks his sword. And I don't mean as like a little theory of theirs, no, I mean there were people who took this as factual. I saw this a lot on a bunch of crappy "Did You Know?" articles about Dragon Ball back in the day, when I was 12-13, and even back then, I highly doubted that. Now, I don't know if there's people out there that still believes this, there's a good chance that those people are still out there, but this has significantly died down as of late. But whenever I think back to the old days, and this one piece of misinformation pops in my head, I can't help but laugh my ass off at it. :lol: Ahh, good times...
Caulifla best girl! :)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:44 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:30 pm Here's one piece of misinformation that goes way back:

Does anyone here remember the classic "Tapion gave Future Trunks his sword" fallacy? For those who are new, there was a thing where a lot of people believed that Tapion, from Movie 13, gave Future Trunks his sword. And I don't mean as like a little theory of theirs, no, I mean there were people who took this as factual. I saw this a lot on a bunch of crappy "Did You Know?" articles about Dragon Ball back in the day, when I was 12-13, and even back then, I highly doubted that. Now, I don't know if there's people out there that still believes this, there's a good chance that those people are still out there, but this has significantly died down as of late. But whenever I think back to the old days, and this one piece of misinformation pops in my head, I can't help but laugh my ass off at it. :lol: Ahh, good times...

Movie 13 literally ends with Tapion giving Trunks the same sword Future Trunks had. It was clearly the intent.

The problem is it makes no sense if you think about it because those events couldn’t possibly occur in Future Trunks timeline but it’s Toei so....

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:01 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:44 pm
Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:30 pm Here's one piece of misinformation that goes way back:

Movie 13 literally ends with Tapion giving Trunks the same sword Future Trunks had. It was clearly the intent.

The problem is it makes no sense if you think about it because those events couldn’t possibly occur in Future Trunks timeline but it’s Toei so....
In fairness, Future Trunks's timeline is a bit different. It's possible Tapion did appear on earth at some point while the androids were around, and gave his sword to Trunks as in the movie.

It's a bit of a stretch, though.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:53 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:28 pmhttp://www.angelfire.com/dbz/somerandom ... chris.html
(I know you told me that you worked in radio and then found out about an opening to voice a character) I was wondering what character that was? For what show? How did you get the position of Voice Director?
As I said earlier, I was living and working in Denton. I met many incredible people there. One of them, and I'll refer to her by her cyber-tag, Agent Mai ( some of the Internet hounds know who she is ) was working for FUNimation and told me that they were holding auditions for a Dragon Ball movie "Sleeping Princess In Devil's Castle". I was cast for the parts of Yamcha and Igor. A couple months later I was called to help the Producer/Director cast and schedule a new band of actors -- the current cast of Dragon Ball Z. Trying to find voice matches for the Canadian cast was one heck of a task, and we must have auditioned over 500 people. When production kicked in, I started as an Assistant Voice Director under Barry Watson and eventually started directing the episodes myself.
He was hired after the decision was made to move production to Texas but did help cast for season 3.
So who is Agent Mai? I know he's mentioned the actual name somewhere because I've seen this story told without the "Agent Mai" part, but I don't remember who it was. (This is a good little interview you linked so I'm taking the opportunity to get his wiki page going and I have a personal policy of not just consulting Other Wikis to start a page.)