"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:51 pm

I can't believe that in 2020 people have become so spineless that they have to now censor a cartoons violence.

What was with that Zarbon death or Guldo? Didn't even show Butters death.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:57 pm

I haven't played this game in months, SSG being a paid DLC really bummed me out and cleared me away from a game that was already kinda stale and couldn't access the new stuff

Is anybody still playing this? is it fair to say now that the replay value was indeed low?

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:41 pm

Replay value is indeed low but I put a good 50 hours platinuming the game and that was with pretty minimal grinding. The only really boring stuff is training room and special attack training, but if you just wait till your high level you can almost one shot the entire game as those events don't scale.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:02 pm

I tell ya, I really like the grinding in the DLC because, while monotonous, it provides a good way to level up every character without much in the way of difficulty. Still need to level the rest up, but it's an efficient way. I hope they have an even better way in future DLCs.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:47 pm

For a game about Goku I ended up playing as Gohan more. This wouldn't have happened if they just made it about the original DragonBall.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:46 am

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:57 pm Is anybody still playing this? is it fair to say now that the replay value was indeed low?
Define "replay value".

If you mean replaying the game from the start (as the term was originally defined) then almost no game without branching choices or alternate endings has replay value for most.

If you mean playing an existing file after clearing the main story, a ton of players have done that. The fact that people continued to tackle sidequests and completionist objectives long after beating Boo is a testament to its longevity, not a knock against it.
Formerly Marlowe89.

mrthefaraz

Post by mrthefaraz » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:57 am

Anyone a bit irked about how the upcoming DLC's seemingly been dropped out of the ether? I mean based on how short the first pack was, I really don't get what's taking CC2 so long to get it done. I'd get if they were being affected by Corona or whatever, but they haven't come out and said that so I don't think that's a plausible excuse yet.

I know Japanese developers tend to be reticent about these things, but if they really are having issues because of covid I think they need to tell us outright. They forced us to pay for the entire season pass upfront to play DLC 1, and then have gone completely radio silent about fulfilling the rest of what they've promised to do. I wouldn't be nearly as annoyed about this as I am if they let me just buy dlc 1 on its own back in April, but that wasn't an option.

When do you guys think DLC 2 might come out? At this point I think we're gonna have to wait till September, 5 months after DLC 1, which is ridiculous. I think all we'll get in August is the card game and that looks fine I guess.

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:36 am

I want DLC 2 like everyone else and know it'll come eventually. While I understand the frustration, I think we can all learn to be a little patient at this time. If Covid is impacting development, it would be great if they would let us know but at the same time I'm expecting delays in mostly everything for that reason. It would be nice to get some info, but maybe because with I don't have to game as much as I would like to with work and a family I'm not trippin as much. There are other games to play while we wait on the DLC for this.

Now, if we have waited this long and it's small DLC like the first then that would be an enormous disappointment, but we'll have to wait and see. In the mean time, let's see how this card game is and see if it will add some additional replay value to the game. If it is anything like Bucchigiri match which was thoroughly enjoyable for those who played it, I'm gonna have a blast with it.
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721

mrthefaraz

Post by mrthefaraz » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:04 pm

dualist wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:36 am I want DLC 2 like everyone else and know it'll come eventually. While I understand the frustration, I think we can all learn to be a little patient at this time. If Covid is impacting development, it would be great if they would let us know but at the same time I'm expecting delays in mostly everything for that reason. It would be nice to get some info, but maybe because with I don't have to game as much as I would like to with work and a family I'm not trippin as much. There are other games to play while we wait on the DLC for this.

Now, if we have waited this long and it's small DLC like the first then that would be an enormous disappointment, but we'll have to wait and see. In the mean time, let's see how this card game is and see if it will add some additional replay value to the game. If it is anything like Bucchigiri match which was thoroughly enjoyable for those who played it, I'm gonna have a blast with it.
I really don't mind waiting at all, and I won't even be disappointed if the dlc's short because I liked the first one a lot actually. I'm even really looking forward to the card game.

The only thing that annoys me is the lack of updates. I mean even a little 50 character tweet where they're like it's indefinitely been delayed would suffice. I mean if Covid really is an issue, how was Bandai able to announce a whole new shinobi striker season pass during their play anime event thing? That must've started full on development after the virus really started to ramp up. So couldn't bandai have put more resources into helping CC2 fulfill the already paid for kakarot season pass instead of getting ahead of themselves with other projects like that?

I think the lack of updates might hurt bandai in the long term. Say kakarot gets a second season pass next year. People are definitely gonna hesitate grabbing it right off the bat when its first dlc comes out because of how unwilling to share info they've been with the first one.

And honestly I'm the same as you most of the year where I don't have a lot of time usually to play games because I spend most of my year busy with my university course and part time work and whatnot, so I was looking forward to really sinking my teeth into the entirety of 'A New Power Awakens' over the summer when I've got so much spare time.

mrthefaraz

Post by mrthefaraz » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:09 pm

The fact that fighterz got an 'Announcements coming in August' message, despite the last fighterz DLC being more recent and coming out in May as opposed to Kakarot which was in April, speaks volumes as to how little Bandai cares about Kakarot. Fighterz is over two years old and yet they bring out extra content for it faster 😡

I really hope we get a DLC 2 teaser maybe tacked onto the fighterz show, kinda like the kakarot accolades trailer and dlc 1.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:17 pm

mrthefaraz wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:09 pm The fact that fighterz got an 'Announcements coming in August' message, despite the last fighterz DLC being more recent and coming out in May as opposed to Kakarot which was in April, speaks volumes as to how little Bandai cares about Kakarot. Fighterz is over two years old and yet they bring out extra content for it faster 😡
It probably has to do with the fact that (so far) Kakarot only has 2 pieces of DLC left, so they may want to spread it out, unlike FighterZ which has a lot more to offer. Despite the base game being great, DLC 1 (and probably 2) was a very lackluster experience that's just a waste of both the developers and gamers' time. I personally think they should've done individual episodes focused on each of Z's older movies instead.

mrthefaraz

Post by mrthefaraz » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:15 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:17 pm

It probably has to do with the fact that (so far) Kakarot only has 2 pieces of DLC left, so they may want to spread it out, unlike FighterZ which has a lot more to offer. Despite the base game being great, DLC 1 (and probably 2) was a very lackluster experience that's just a waste of both the developers and gamers' time. I personally think they should've done individual episodes focused on each of Z's older movies instead.
I personally enjoyed dlc 1 a lot. The beerus 250 fight was much better done than any in the base game so I ended up fighting him quite a bit and still do every now and then maybe once or twice a week to this day. Plus I did the whole start a new game and do the whole dlc from level 1 thing which was fun too.

And in terms of the spread out thing, it would make a lot more sense for them to have a large gap between kakarot dlc 2 and 3 since 3 is meant to be a huge story arc.

So it should've been fighterz 1, kakarot 1, fighterz 2, kakarot 2, fighterz 3, fighterz 4, kakarot 3, fighterz 5 imo if they went that route.

Idk if I'm just ignorant about the fighterz community moreso than I am about kakarot as I'm much more into the latter (and rpgs as a whole) over the former, but on YouTube and forums and what not I've seen a much larger fan outcry for kakarot dlc 2 than fighterz dlc 3 right now.

I still don't think it's much to ask for to just get one tweet, not with an image or anything, giving us some semblance of an update on it. Even a little thing to promote dlc 1 and the season pass by being like, 'remember that you can get the season pass to do part 1 right now! And don't worry, part 2 is scheduled to come out soon!' Literally just some kind of acknowledgement of not having entirely forgotten about us season pass buyers.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:42 pm

Huh, wasn't the game meant to be "canon" approved? The direct mention of Tapion is surprising.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:08 pm

Xeogran wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:42 pm
Huh, wasn't the game meant to be "canon" approved? The direct mention of Tapion is surprising.
They're trying to make more sense of it than Z movie 13 did by implying Future Trunks' sword is Tapion's.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:58 am

Scsigs wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:08 pm
Xeogran wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:42 pm
They're trying to make more sense of it than Z movie 13 did by implying Future Trunks' sword is Tapion's.
The events of M13 could've happened in Trunks' timeline, just vastly different to what was presented in the main timeline.

B e n

Post by B e n » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:01 pm

This is potentially a dumb question, but does Kakarot live up to the hype?

I've still only seen the footage from the trailers as I don't want to spoil myself until I eventually and inevitably get the game. My main worry is that because I've just gone on to play Xenoverse 2, that it's going to be very similar to that?

For years I've wanted a proper DragonBall Z RPG, and while DragonBall Z: Sagas was very close (at the time), it still wasn't perfect.

Ideally, I'd like there to be a lot of freedom in terms of exploration and item finding. Can you do this in Kakarot?

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:23 pm

B e n wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:01 pm This is potentially a dumb question, but does Kakarot live up to the hype?

I've still only seen the footage from the trailers as I don't want to spoil myself until I eventually and inevitably get the game. My main worry is that because I've just gone on to play Xenoverse 2, that it's going to be very similar to that?

For years I've wanted a proper DragonBall Z RPG, and while DragonBall Z: Sagas was very close (at the time), it still wasn't perfect.

Ideally, I'd like there to be a lot of freedom in terms of exploration and item finding. Can you do this in Kakarot?
Yes. It definitely lives up to the hype. And yes, if exploration is what you want, Kakarot delivers.

You will perceive a vast improvement over XV2, visually is just a beautiful game, second to Fighterz only. The fighting seems less intricate, but there are some nice combos and different ways to engage certain enemies (the androids), the beam clashes are just amazing, the super attacks are greatly done. Every form has a different combo, base, kaioken, SS, SS2, they all perform different combos for the same character.

And the game is just insane, the saiyan arc and the Freeza arc were done down to a T. There is nothing left to add, it's the perfect rendition of those arcs. The last 2 arcs aren't as accurate (some fights or moments were skipped) but are still amazing. I can't speak about the DLC with Beerus and SSG because I haven't played it but people loved it.

There are side things too, collectionable cards and stuff like that.

If you enjoyed DBZ Sagas, you'll go nuts with this one. My favourite DBZ game ever, so I definitely recommend it.

I should add that there is a lot of things to find in like 5 or 6 enormous maps. From food just to survive, to boosting items or mechanical parts to create cars and stuff

B e n

Post by B e n » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:50 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:23 pm
Yes. It definitely lives up to the hype. And yes, if exploration is what you want, Kakarot delivers.

You will perceive a vast improvement over XV2, visually is just a beautiful game, second to Fighterz only. The fighting seems less intricate, but there are some nice combos and different ways to engage certain enemies (the androids), the beam clashes are just amazing, the super attacks are greatly done. Every form has a different combo, base, kaioken, SS, SS2, they all perform different combos for the same character.

And the game is just insane, the saiyan arc and the Freeza arc were done down to a T. There is nothing left to add, it's the perfect rendition of those arcs. The last 2 arcs aren't as accurate (some fights or moments were skipped) but are still amazing. I can't speak about the DLC with Beerus and SSG because I haven't played it but people loved it.
See, I haven't played FighterZ so I can't comment but it does look like a nice, updated version of the classic 2D fighters like the Super Butoden series. I'm glad they've stuck to their guns on really hitting home with the Saiyan and Frieza arcs too because they are detrimental parts of the story. If I recall correctly, wasn't Toriyama's initial vision to have DragonBall Z end after the battle with Frieza? As someone who is a huge fan of the Cell Sagas, it would be a shame to imagine a DragonBall Z story without those pivotal arcs.
There are side things too, collectionable cards and stuff like that.

If you enjoyed DBZ Sagas, you'll go nuts with this one. My favourite DBZ game ever, so I definitely recommend it.

I should add that there is a lot of things to find in like 5 or 6 enormous maps. From food just to survive, to boosting items or mechanical parts to create cars and stuff
That sounds fantastic. A few years back I played Final Fantasy XV and fell in love with the characters, story and immense world to explore. It was up there with the likes of The Elder Scrolls as a series, but with a Japanese touch making it a JRPG. This is ideally what I'd want from Kakarot, and from the sounds of your review, it is exactly that.

Huge thanks for the info regarding the game - you may have just helped me make up my mind!

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:55 pm

There’s no indication that Toriyama ever intended to end the series with Freeza. That’s just an old Internet rumor.

B e n

Post by B e n » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:10 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:55 pm There’s no indication that Toriyama ever intended to end the series with Freeza. That’s just an old Internet rumor.
I see - thanks for confirming!

Sounds like it's something in the same vein as this alleged DragonBall AF image of Super Saiyan 5 Goku that circulated in the early 2000's.