Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:04 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:21 pmFrom what i've gathered online Canada has less films and TV shows on Netflix then the US version does, but it does have some exclusive content that the US does not get.
Yeah, every country has their own unique deals with Netflix over what shows/movies can and can't be streamed there. The first place to show The Force Awakens after it was done showing in theaters was, randomly enough, Netflix Canada (keep in mind this was years before Disney+ was a thing). Netflix is also the exclusive place to watch Rick and Morty (in either Japanese-dubbed format or English with Japanese subtitles) in Japan.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:11 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:28 pm Does Canada share the same Netflix and the U.S?
No, Canadian Netflix has a different selection, as do most regions.
eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:28 pm I feel like streaming would be kai's best bet.
We'll see, I guess.
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:04 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:21 pmFrom what i've gathered online Canada has less films and TV shows on Netflix then the US version does, but it does have some exclusive content that the US does not get.
Yeah, every country has their own unique deals with Netflix over what shows/movies can and can't be streamed there. The first place to show The Force Awakens after it was done showing in theaters was, randomly enough, Netflix Canada (keep in mind this was years before Disney+ was a thing). Netflix is also the exclusive place to watch Rick and Morty (in either Japanese-dubbed format or English with Japanese subtitles) in Japan.
I believe Netflix is also the only place to watch Rick And Morty in the UK, too.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:21 am

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:17 amFWIW, MangaUK wanted to release the Canadian dubs back in the late '00s, but they couldn't put it on uncut footage, and they didn't know who had the rights and/or masters.
So, I don't think they'd be unwilling.
True.

Come to think of it, with this in mind theoretically if Manga UK were to release the Westwood, Blue Water and Kai dubs that should mean they wouldn't need to negotiate with AB/Mediawan (as they no longer have the UK distribution rights) and would only need to deal with Ocean, TOEI, and get the okay from Funimation (and as we also know Funimation no longer cares what Manga does as all the profits go to them).
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

C. Smith

Post by C. Smith » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:14 am

A little bit late but Crave is gonna stream an anime for the first time
https://imissbionix.wordpress.com/2020/ ... september/

This is the new Viz dub of Sailor Moon but them streaming an anime could open the floodgates

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:42 am

I really want to be optimistic about this because Sailor Moon is another TOEI property and the streaming revenue it brings in should help launching the linear channel.

Also, as far as I know Kai has never been on any streaming platforms other than catch-up ones for broadcasts, so them not getting it to stream shouldn't be bad news, at least I hope.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

C. Smith

Post by C. Smith » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:58 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:42 am I really want to be optimistic about this because Sailor Moon is another TOEI property and the streaming revenue it brings in should help launching the linear channel.

Also, as far as I know Kai has never been on any streaming platforms other than catch-up ones for broadcasts, so them not getting it to stream shouldn't be bad news, at least I hope.
The least that can happen is Crunchyroll being launched as a subchannel in Crave streaming (maybe even include HIDIVE), similar to VRV and HBO Max

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:35 pm

I just came across this "Funimation & VIZ Media Partnership Brings Legendary Anime Catalog to Funimation"
https://www.funimation.com/blog/2020/09 ... &utm_term=

I noticed it said, "available subbed and dubbed in the United States and Canada." I didn't realize FUNimation's streaming service is available in Canada and I wonder if that could explain any hangups or red tape?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:46 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:35 pmI noticed it said, "available subbed and dubbed in the United States and Canada." I didn't realize FUNimation's streaming service is available in Canada and I wonder if that could explain any hangups or red tape?
Potentially. The holdup that sticks out to me more, though, is that apparently--for reasons that are not entirely clear--Toei themselves prefer the FUNimation dub. We know from reports from an anonymous (but credible) user named Subzero Ice that the UK was aware of the existence of the Ocean Kai dub and wasn't given the option to use it, as well as from accidentally intercepted emails that Toei actively pushes the FUNimation dub when the subject is brought up.

Again, not entirely clear why. Add it to the mountain-sized pile of mysteries about this dub, I guess...it's especially weird considering that the Ocean dub of Kai, even though it hasn't aired, never would have gotten produced to begin with without both Toei's knowledge and authorization. So why are they so hellbent on not allowing a dub they authorized to be produced from airing? Boggles the mind...
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:14 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:46 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:35 pmI noticed it said, "available subbed and dubbed in the United States and Canada." I didn't realize FUNimation's streaming service is available in Canada and I wonder if that could explain any hangups or red tape?
Potentially. The holdup that sticks out to me more, though, is that apparently--for reasons that are not entirely clear--Toei themselves prefer the FUNimation dub. We know from reports from an anonymous (but credible) user named Subzero Ice that the UK was aware of the existence of the Ocean Kai dub and wasn't given the option to use it, as well as from accidentally intercepted emails that Toei actively pushes the FUNimation dub when the subject is brought up.

Again, not entirely clear why. Add it to the mountain-sized pile of mysteries about this dub, I guess...it's especially weird considering that the Ocean dub of Kai, even though it hasn't aired, never would have gotten produced to begin with without both Toei's knowledge and authorization. So why are they so hellbent on not allowing a dub they authorized to be produced from airing? Boggles the mind...
To try & speculate, I think it's because, since 1994, FUNi's been their main distributer for DB as a franchise, so they're going with the cast that FUNi can readily depend on & get to come back. Some Japanese companies are like that or have similar things to that, like the fact that Chris Sabat played Garland in Dissidia because Square specifically wanted the guy who played the Japanese actor's role in the English dub of one of the anime shows FUNi's dubbed, so they have their methods of doing things. And, why wouldn't they want the US cast being the one consistent across English-speaking regions? They've been the longest-running & have dubbed every single bit of material FUNi can legally license & the video games since Budokai 1 (not saying this automatically makes them better, just that consistency is good for brand recognition & Toei knows that).

This isn't the only dub not to surface of an anime. Yugioh Zexal was first dubbed by Bang Zoom before 4K Media did. Not a lot of chances for whatever they did for that dub surfacing any time soon either, especially since they had the ability & permission to reset the lipflaps to match the English scripts. I'm willing to bet there's a lot of dubs that haven't been released out there like this.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:08 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:46 pm

*Complete Specualtion*
I feel it might be because of FUNimations power in the English speaking anime market. As of early 2019 they are now on a Anime Production Committee in Japan (by invitation) so who knows what influence they had behind the scenes before, and we know FUNimations knowelge of the ocean dub because of Sean Schemmel and more likely because Ocean did the video editing for FUNi's kai. We know atleast Shemmel has had a not so positive outlook on it not to mention other FUNi VA's reaction to Bang Zoom super (tho they doesnt speak for FUNi) but it wouldnt suprise me if FUNi trie(s/d) to have this shelved or has a stong arm on it.

I just watched a thing where Dinsey tried to sabatage FernGully because they were mad they couldnt get Robin Williams first or the drama and childish antics between the Disney and Universal parks so corporate pettiness never surprises me.

I remember the Kix situation quite well and was bummed when they couldnt get Ocean Kai. The UK orange bricks came out in 2012 a full year before Kai was on Kix so it's possible they didn't want to cause confusion or wanted to remain consistant/an already established deal with FUNimation.

But then again TOEI did allow another studio to Dub Super, for reasons I'm not 100% sure with.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:53 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:08 pm *Complete Speculation*
I feel it might be because of FUNimation's power in the English speaking anime market. As of early 2019 they are now on a Anime Production Committee in Japan (by invitation) so who knows what influence they had behind the scenes before, and we know FUNimation's knowledge of the ocean dub because of Sean Schemmel and more likely because Ocean did the video editing for FUNi's kai. We know at least Schemmel has had a not so positive outlook on it not to mention other FUNi VA's reaction to Bang Zoom super (tho they don't speak for FUNi) but it wouldn't surprise me if FUNi trie(s/d) to have this shelved or has a strong arm on it.

I just watched a thing where Disney tried to sabotage FernGully because they were mad they couldn't get Robin Williams first or the drama and childish antics between the Disney and Universal parks so corporate pettiness never surprises me.

I remember the Kix situation quite well and was bummed when they couldn't get Ocean Kai. The UK orange bricks came out in 2012 a full year before Kai was on Kix so it's possible they didn't want to cause confusion or wanted to remain consistent/an already established deal with FUNimation.

But then again TOEI did allow another studio to Dub Super, for reasons I'm not 100% sure with.
FUNi seems to be just generally expanding their reach all around the world, which really didn't start until a few years ago when they were bought by Sony & bought Manga UK. They seem very interested in being able to dub as many things as possible & have as many connections as possible.
In terms of the dub, I'm willing to bet the Ocean dub of Kai was most likely done because, at the time, it wasn't being broadcasted in the UK or Canada, so they produced the dub in preparation for distribution in the UK, just like the Ocean Z dub was dubbed specifically for the UK market &, I believe, the Blue Water dubs of the other shows. However, it turned out not to be an issue, so they ended up doing an edit of the FUNi dub when they finally aired it.

As for Sean, he tends to be a giant baby when it comes to a lot of stuff. The man has a giant ego & can't admit when he's been an idiot or a Jackass. I'd know. He also has a weird possession over playing Goku, even though he says that Nozawa is more Goku than he is. I doubt he'd have any say what dub they'd use, though. He's just a voice actor. None of them have that kind of power. FUNi, the company might, but not them, the voice actors. No matter how much Sean might secretly think he's the be all, end all of DB, he's easily replaceable if they see sufficient enough reasons to do so.

Toei allowed Bang Zoom to dub Super for a few markets that wouldn't air the FUNi dub. That area of the world usually does that fairly regularly. It's not what is considered the "official" dub, though, considering it ended pretty quickly after it started & hasn't been picked back up after the second arc ended since & no home media release seems likely. I can see why some of the FUNi cast felt the alternate dub wasn't a good thing, as I felt it was wholly unnecessary, but it's how Toei wanted to do things. I'm sure there's no hard feelings between the actors, though.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:50 pm

I heard a rumor that Bang Zoom was originally supposed to replace Funimation for DBS and that was why the FUNi VAs were pissed.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:59 pm

There's a Bang Zoom dub of ZEXAL? Wow that's the first i'm hearing of that, have any clips of it leaked online? I'm very curious to hear their take on it.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:54 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:50 pm I heard a rumor that Bang Zoom was originally supposed to replace Funimation for DBS and that was why the FUNi VAs were pissed.
I'm pretty sure that's just a rumor, as there's nothing to substantiate it. One of the reasons for the hold-up of a dub of Super, on top of the usual "waiting a year or so to dub & release" BS, that I heard, was that Toei wanted FUNi to air all of Kai: TFC first (which they'd finished dubbing by 2015/16, but didn't air yet because Toonami didn't finish airing the first 98 episodes at the time), as that was the deal for the Mexican dub as well, so FUNi compromised & aired both at the same exact time & released all of TFC quickly on Blu-Ray & DVD in 2017 to burn it off so they could get the newer material out on TV & home video faster to make money on it. I could believe this since Toei's extremely picky about how some of their properties are released in other territories.
As for Bang Zoom creating an alternate dub, again, a lot of English countries in Asia usually get alternate English dubs produced for the parts of there that speak it natively (like Singapore, though they usually dub them in that country). It was most likely a similar deal for why the Ocean cast were brought back to dub the rest of Z for the UK. The FUNi dub was probably too expensive to license for the company broadcasting it, so they saved a bit of money by funding another dub. Bang Zoom is often a cheap studio, especially since they have a smaller talent pool than Viz or FUNi. Man, I wonder what they would've done with the Tournament of Power with all of those extra characters added to the roster.
Planetnamek wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:59 pm There's a Bang Zoom dub of ZEXAL? Wow that's the first i'm hearing of that, have any clips of it leaked online? I'm very curious to hear their take on it.
I'm pretty sure it was Bang Zoom. It was actually before 4Kids got it, not 4K Media. It was during the lawsuit the Japanese animation company, I think, & 4Kids had going on over apparent unpaid royalties, I believe.
Looked it up on TV Tropes. Apparently it was ADK, not Bang Zoom. I swear it was Bang Zoom, though.
Here's a clip: https://youtu.be/3xPs0pM-Pq4
Interestingly enough, Johnny Yong Bosch played Yuma & Vic Mignogna played Shark.
Pretty sure whatever episodes they dubbed won't ever see even a bootleg release in full, considering they lost the rights & probably junked the audio files afterwards.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:41 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:50 pm I heard a rumor that Bang Zoom was originally supposed to replace Funimation for DBS and that was why the FUNi VAs were pissed.
I very much doubt there ever was any truth to the rumour. I remember back in 2015 when the reports of an English dub for Asian territories came out some YouTubers were jumping on the news and passing it off as meaning the Funimation cast were replaced, Geekdom was calling them out and Sean Schemmel reaffirmed it was nonsense.

I'm quite confident the only reason the Bang Zoom dub of Super was produced was to avoid another Kai TFC situation and ensure TOEI could profit off an English dub of Super while it was still hot. Ironically enough it was TOEI's own fault for insisting TFC had to air on US TV first, but thankfully it seems they learned their lesson by allowing it to be released by Madman and Manga UK without ever being broadcast in the territories they cover.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:13 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:41 am I'm quite confident the only reason the Bang Zoom dub of Super was produced was to avoid another Kai TFC situation and ensure TOEI could profit off an English dub of Super while it was still hot. Ironically enough it was TOEI's own fault for insisting TFC had to air on US TV first, but thankfully it seems they learned their lesson by allowing it to be released by Madman and Manga UK without ever being broadcast in the territories they cover.
I know Toei wants assured airtime on TV for their shows (it's one of the reasons they gave One Piece to 4Kids originally), but it really holds some of them back & is entirely arbitrary when streaming exists & home media is much more convenient for a lot of people who've cut the chord.
To also get on One Piece for a sec, rushing One Piece out by giving it to 4Kids was a huge mistake to all involved. I, honestly, feel bad for 4Kids. They weren't the best dubbing company to begin with, but One Piece was NOT a show that fit their style of dubbing. The fact that they had to remove so much material just to get a TV-Y7 rating on top of their usual bad dubbing decisions ruined them & practically shot OP's chance of making a good first impression in the US. The fact that it took FUNi's dub so long to catch on only makes it worse.
Personally, I think it's a bad business practice. Other companies do well enough dubbing stuff for home media releases first & it worked well with Sailor Moon's redub by Viz. It's just really annoying.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:42 pm

Wasn’t FUNimation’s dub of TFC recorded back in 2013?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:00 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:42 pm Wasn’t FUNimation’s dub of TFC recorded back in 2013?
That was when the show started being put together & the voice acting was being recorded in Japan. As far as I've seen, the FUNi dub started sometime in 2014 & finished at some point in 2015 or 2016. I'm not sure which, since some of the actors give different timelines for when their lines got recorded. Like, I've seen stuff said that implied Schemmel was one of the last actors, if not the last, to record his lines for some reason.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:45 pm

Scsigs wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:00 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:42 pm Wasn’t FUNimation’s dub of TFC recorded back in 2013?
That was when the show started being put together & the voice acting was being recorded in Japan. As far as I've seen, the FUNi dub started sometime in 2014 & finished at some point in 2015 or 2016. I'm not sure which, since some of the actors give different timelines for when their lines got recorded. Like, I've seen stuff said that implied Schemmel was one of the last actors, if not the last, to record his lines for some reason.
I remember reading some stuff back in the day that implied it was recorded back in 2013. Colleen Clinkenbeard also voices #18 in it, which suggests that it was recorded before Meredith McCoy became available again.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:46 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:45 pm
Scsigs wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:00 pm That was when the show started being put together & the voice acting was being recorded in Japan. As far as I've seen, the FUNi dub started sometime in 2014 & finished at some point in 2015 or 2016. I'm not sure which, since some of the actors give different timelines for when their lines got recorded. Like, I've seen stuff said that implied Schemmel was one of the last actors, if not the last, to record his lines for some reason.
I remember reading some stuff back in the day that implied it was recorded back in 2013. Colleen Clinkenbeard also voices #18 in it, which suggests that it was recorded before Meredith McCoy became available again.
I mean, they clearly got her back for vocal consistency. While they could've gotten McCoy back for it, it'd break vocal consistency within Kai. While it didn't matter that they got Brad Jackson back as Oolong, as Oolong hadn't appeared much in Kai before TFC, 18 had a good amount of lines in the previous arc that it'd be even more obvious. Though that doesn't answer why they didn't get Dameon Clarke back as Cell, or at least Travis Willingham.