Should there be a DragonBall Budokai?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:04 am

Even if Blue was, well, you know, he's still a pretty tough guy (although rather sneaky as well).

The little kid in question is Obotchaman, and I think he was a robot, like Arale. I wonder what are the standards for that... Robosexual? :oops:

Jakez04
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jakez04 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:09 am

what is robosexual? :?:
Da Name is Jakez -ROC Baby!
[url=http://www.geocities.com/dragonfistgt]DragonFistGT![/url]

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:25 am

Jakez04 wrote:what is robosexual? :?:
If you have to ask, I don't think your old enough to know.

Here's a hint, Kuririn is one. :lol:

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:29 am

I love that part in Dragonball with Penguin Village! It's so cool to have that Dr. Slump crossover! Everytime I see or read Blue being driven nuts, I feel proud of my Arale-chan coin bank! :mrgreen:

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:38 am

I'm curious...how accurate where FUNImation with that bit? I mean, they did their usual DragonBall "dialogue changes that aren't as bad as DBZ but still aren't as close as they could be" thing, but sometimes characters would give themselves names that didn't seem to be on the subtitles, so did they just make stuff up, or do research?

Obviously, outside of the whole Blue/Obotchaman thing. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a (mentioned) brother in the original. But then again, I have thought of what else they could do, and I can't come up with a better idea.

Gary
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gary » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:12 am

A Dragonball Budoukai would be awesome I think. I would definately buy it. There are so many characters you could use in the game too.
Founder/Owner/Webmaster of [|[url=http://www.junk-anime.com/]Junk-Anime.com[/url]|]

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:28 am

VegettoEX wrote: * T'ao Paipai (human / cyborg)
* Kame-Sen'nin (regular / "Jackie Chun")
* Yamcha (original outfit / orange gi)
* Chiaotzu ("prince" outfit / regular)
* Kami-sama (regular / "Shen")
* Piccolo-Daimao (old / young)
Okay, let's update that list:

* Chi-chi (young / teen)
* Kuririn (young / teen)
* Tenshinhan (formal wear / bare chested)
* Android 8 (normal / ?)
* Launch (Blue hair / Blond hair)
* Akkuman
* Bora
* Commander Blue
* Garlic (not Jr)
* Grandpa Gohan (normal / with mask?)
* Major Metallic(tron) (original white / Black version from PtP movie)
* Myra
* Namu
* Tamborine

Okay, that list may be a little long but I think it covers all the fighters that could be potentionally placed in a new DB game...notice that Goku is never listed once however. Maybe everyone is sick of him? They could always throw in a teen-aged Vegeta :lol:

Jakez04
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jakez04 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:14 am

Okay. So if Blue was one who did go with?
I just bought some magna to it is so much better than the show. They make jokes that I havn't heard in the show. I think I am going to stick with magnas instead of the show.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:48 am

Jakez04 wrote:magna.
I've seen you write this twice so far. It's manga ^^;;

Be sure to watch your grammar... being able to spell properly and construct sentences that make sense is the #1 rule for our message boards ^^. I take it.. well... extremely seriously.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:56 am

I love that part in Dragonball with Penguin Village! It's so cool to have that Dr. Slump crossover! Everytime I see or read Blue being driven nuts, I feel proud of my Arale-chan coin bank!
I love crossovers! I wish he did a crossover with DB after he was finished. It would have been so easy in both Sandland AND Kajika (better in Kajika) to have them pass through the poor village where Uubu lives when Goku was training him. (Could have been just a 1 chapter crossover since Goku is super-powerful)
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Jakez04
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jakez04 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:16 pm

Hey Ex,
Sorry for spelling it wrong. I an't to good at spelling as you can tell. Or with grammer.

So can someone tell me why Mangas^_^ are more dirty than the shows?

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:40 pm

The manga is about the same as the show, actually (except for the filler scenes on the TV show). It's just that the manga is mostly unedited over here. On TV, the show is edited, though you can buy uncut tapes or DVDs.

Viz's translations of the manga seem to be much better than FUNimation's translations of the anime, though. Even the uncut English version still has some lines changed around, but there's no footage missing or anything like that. The DVDs also come with the Japanese version subtitled, which is the most accurate version, and many people prefer that.

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:58 pm

Everybody's forgetting Goku robbed Soba of his clothes after they burned his pants... Now there's a neat extra outfit!
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:29 pm

"Everybody's forgetting Goku robbed Soba of his clothes after they burned his pants... Now there's a neat extra outfit!"

It's Shuu, not Soba.

"Here's a hint, Kuririn is one. "

Only in the dub.

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:47 pm

He is 'Shuu' in the anime, but not in the first part of the manga... See, Akira Toriyama named the guy 'Soba' in the manga, but forgot the name later on, so that when TOEI asked him what Soba's name was, he made up 'Shu', which is what it became in the anime, and the latter parts of the manga as well... Even though the first original manga wherein Pilaf and sidekicks appear, the sod is still named Soba. Someone also sent a letter about this to Toriyama, who answered admitting his mistake.

However, I always just go with 'Soba' because I think it's a cooler sounding name... Besides, Viz uses it. :D
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:16 pm

I didn't think Pilaf and his minions even appeared in the original manga. I also heard that originally Shu and Mai didn't even have names.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:06 pm

The manga actually is a bit more gory than the Toei version of the anime... Look at Tenshinhan's arm in the Saiyan saga. :mrgreen:

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:48 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:I didn't think Pilaf and his minions even appeared in the original manga. I also heard that originally Shu and Mai didn't even have names.
They didn't in the danish version, at least.

The first time we heard their names was when Pilaf was shouting orders in vol 9.

So Viz uses Soba? Eh, never read the Viz version, other than a few scans and stuff, and I've never heard the name Soda anywhere. But sure, that's interesting.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:37 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:I didn't think Pilaf and his minions even appeared in the original manga. I also heard that originally Shu and Mai didn't even have names.
They appear at the start, the first real "bad guys". The section of the anime where they appear at the start of the Red Ribbon saga isn't in the manga though. And I'm not sure about later, since I haven't read/seen that part yet.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:10 am

PsyLiam wrote:
They appear at the start, the first real "bad guys". The section of the anime where they appear at the start of the Red Ribbon saga isn't in the manga though. And I'm not sure about later, since I haven't read/seen that part yet.
In the manga, they appear at the beginning (not including anything before the part where Shuu steals the Dragonballs), then after the Baba tournament, and finally, after releasing Piccolo.

That's all.