Most accurate Viz release of the manga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperVegetablePerson

Most accurate Viz release of the manga?

Post by SuperVegetablePerson » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:05 pm

Which Viz release of the manga has the most accurate translation with the least amount of censorship? I've tried searching around online but I keep getting conflicting opinions, the only thing people seem to agree on is that the 3 in 1's are the worst release, so I'm trying to decide between VizBig or the complete set of the single volumes, both of which are on sale on Amazon and selling for the same price.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Most accurate Viz release of the manga?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:18 pm

I would say the single volumes. Early dragon ball is still pretty much uncensored. Cussing is also more prevalent in the singles. Androids and later does have gun censorship tho.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:05 pm

I'd say the single volumes. DB's VizBigs did fix a few things I think, but had changes, and Rurouni Kenshin's VizBigs were better as they fixed typos, and had cool extras at the end talking about things going on during the Meiji Era, and the last one had that prologue and all the color. Just didn't get them as had no room.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:08 pm

I also think the singles are much sturdier than Viz bigs and easier to read, tho you miss out on some of the color pages (The Viz bigs dont have them all)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:25 pm

It's also worth pointing out that the 3-in-1s include the actual colour in the inked pages, which is pretty rare these days.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:57 pm

This is a solid deal for this for anyone interested
https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Comp ... 386&sr=8-1

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:01 pm

SuperVegetablePerson wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:05 pm Which Viz release of the manga has the most accurate translation with the least amount of censorship? I've tried searching around online but I keep getting conflicting opinions, the only thing people seem to agree on is that the 3 in 1's are the worst release, so I'm trying to decide between VizBig or the complete set of the single volumes, both of which are on sale on Amazon and selling for the same price.
Actually, the 3-in-1s are good.

A lot of people complain about them, but they're the least-censored release*, they look nice on the shelf, and they're a good size.

*All releases are censored, but the 3-in-1s are the least. I think some of the individual volumes are slightly less censored than some of the 3-in-1s, but you have to go for specific, early printings, which can be a pain in the ass.
KBABZ wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:25 pm It's also worth pointing out that the 3-in-1s include the actual colour in the inked pages, which is pretty rare these days.
No they don't. Only the VizBigs do that, and only for some of it.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:15 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:01 pm
KBABZ wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:25 pm It's also worth pointing out that the 3-in-1s include the actual colour in the inked pages, which is pretty rare these days.
Oops. Well it's an unnessecarily-thick version of the book so, close enough, right?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:10 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:15 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:01 pm
Oops. Well it's an unnessecarily-thick version of the book so, close enough, right?
I loved my 3in1s. The only reason I got rid of them was because I got the japanese Omnibus version

SuperVegetablePerson

Post by SuperVegetablePerson » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:33 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:57 pm This is a solid deal for this for anyone interested
That's what I ended up buying along with the Z set, they're both on sale right now:
https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Comp ... 974708721/

I'm happy with the quality, but after flipping through them there are some things I'm not liking like changing Mr Satan to Hercule and Vegetto to Vegerot, but it's tolerable considering the huge discount I got on them
Robo4900 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:01 pm Actually, the 3-in-1s are good.

A lot of people complain about them, but they're the least-censored release*, they look nice on the shelf, and they're a good size.

*All releases are censored, but the 3-in-1s are the least. I think some of the individual volumes are slightly less censored than some of the 3-in-1s, but you have to go for specific, early printings, which can be a pain in the ass.
I did consider the 3 in 1s, but I didn't like the paper quality and I heard that they fall apart easily

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:40 pm

SuperVegetablePerson wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:33 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:57 pm This is a solid deal for this for anyone interested
That's what I ended up buying along with the Z set, they're both on sale right now:
https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Comp ... 974708721/

I'm happy with the quality, but after flipping through them there are some things I'm not liking like changing Mr Satan to Hercule and Vegetto to Vegerot, but it's tolerable considering the huge discount I got on them
Robo4900 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:01 pm Actually, the 3-in-1s are good.

I did consider the 3 in 1s, but I didn't like the paper quality and I heard that they fall apart easily
I love those boxes

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:47 pm

I feel like the single releases are the best bet. I have some of the first printings from almost 15 to 16 years ago where they were less cencored.

I also would say full colored, but Viz apparently scrapped that after Freeza.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:17 pm

Single volumes, first print run. Or the single comic issues, but they only go up to where Goku and Daimao's first encounter and Goku flying off after beating Freeza (for the "Z" portion).
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim