"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:49 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:42 amOld cis man is sexist and an idiot for saying something he pulled out of his ass.
He didn't pull anything out of his behind, he wrote DB with a target audience being young boys. There's nothing wrong with a work having a target audience, just as there's nothing wrong by saying other audiences can enjoy it based on them understanding the mind set of the original target audience.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:46 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:49 am
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:42 amOld cis man is sexist and an idiot for saying something he pulled out of his ass.
He didn't pull anything out of his behind, he wrote DB with a target audience being young boys. There's nothing wrong with a work having a target audience, just as there's nothing wrong by saying other audiences can enjoy it based on them understanding the mind set of the original target audience.
He clearly doesn't know what he's talking about and has never been challenged before on his thought-process. His comment is insulting. I'm happy for you that you've never been treated like a space alien by cis men but that also means you're not an expert on gender or even approaching Toriyama's comment from the perspective of a woman. Womens' love of Dragon Ball isn't because we 'understand the hearts of boys'. To say nothing of how offensive that is to boys in assuming their attraction to Dragon Ball is based on some weird uniform need for...what? Violence and adventure? That reminds me of how testosterone is framed as the Evil Aggression Hormone©.

Tangents aside, Toriyama's comment is insulting. Women aren't slaves to some salt-to-the-earth bullshit like 'understanding the hearts of boys'.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:30 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:23 am
Matches Malone wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:59 am
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:12 amYeesh, that last paragraph's opening sentence sure is...insulting. :|
Dragon Ball and Shonen in general are aimed at a male audience, so it's not surprising for someone old school like Toriyama to not be aware of the number of female fans DB has. If I'm not mistaking, Toriyama said back in 2015 that he wasn't aware of how popular DB was, so he's clearly not connected with the fanbase.
His implication that you need to be a boy to understand Dragon Ball--as if women cannot because they are women--is the same sort of dumb shit women face in other scenarios all the time. It's really tiring to essentially be told by creators to go fuck myself all the time.
It's really not that serious. You are entitled to feel how you want to feel about it, of course, but in this case I would say your interpretation of what he's saying is less than charitable and quite frankly, hostile. He's given plenty of context for what he means there and there's nothing to say, "Female fanbase, you suck, go F yourself." If anything, he's insulted himself and his young male and boy fanbase by saying DB is nothing but fighting and saying you have to think like them to understand it. Basically, calling them primitive. To me, it just comes off as him being humble in his own strange way and if anything, being somewhat out of touch, which is on brand for Toriyama-san at this point.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:59 pm

Anything new yet?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:17 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:59 pm Anything new yet?
No. If something is to be announced, it'll be at Jump Festa this December.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:18 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:17 am
IntangibleFancy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:59 pm Anything new yet?
No. If something is to be announced, it'll be at Jump Festa this December.
On a scale of 1 to 2022, how much could the virus set back whatever they have/had planned?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:21 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:18 pmOn a scale of 1 to 2022, how much could the virus set back whatever they have/had planned?
If nothing's announced this year, then whatever they may have had planned is more than likely cancelled until further notice. I also think the decision to pull the plug on it was made last year, as something was indeed in pre-production but suddenly stopped.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:47 pm

Not fan of the CGI, but Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai remake just got new PVs and as expected, like any other Toei anime that came after DBS, it looks like to have a much more solid production than DBS.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:18 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:47 pm Not fan of the CGI, but Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai remake just got new PVs and as expected, like any other Toei anime that came after DBS, it looks like to have a much more solid production than DBS.
DQ is the final nail in the coffin of "You expected too much from Super", "You've outgrown DB", and other excuses fans have been using to justify the train wreck we got in Super. Between DQ and Digimon, I think it's safe to say that if DB ever returns to TV, it'll be on the level of these 2 and other anime currently being made, so there's that to look forward to.

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:39 am

I might be misremembering, but wasn't there some report about an internal edict to improve the quality of their shows following the backlash from Sailor Moon and DBS?
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:44 am

CashmanX wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:39 amI might be misremembering, but wasn't there some report about an internal edict to improve the quality of their shows following the backlash from Sailor Moon and DBS?
Yes, and the results are showing across the board. Digimon sounds good from what I've heard, One Piece got a major boost in quality starting with Wano, and DQ looks great.

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:35 am

Beside the first episodes, Digimon is pretty weak i've to say. It's barely moving. For DQ, i heard they have a tons of episode already made, so we can expect greatness

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:46 am

MeMeDZEHH wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:35 amFor DQ, i heard they have a tons of episode already made, so we can expect greatness.
That's not surprising, as DQ was announced back in 2019 at Jump Festa, so that's a 10 month gap between its announcement and air date. Super for comparison was announced 3 months or even less before its air date, so the staff had absolutely no time to prepare anything. To give you an idea about just how bad Super's scheduling was, not only were some episodes worked on up until the day they aired, they had to go back and do corrections on them for the home release.

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:41 pm

At the end of July it was confirmed that Digimon Adventure will have 66 episodes. Coincidentally, this confirmation was made once the series had returned to the broadcast after the stoppage of the virus.

https://thedigiarchive.com/2020/07/31/d ... -episodes/

Next week episode 16 will be broadcast, so there will be 50 episodes to be broadcast and this is equivalent to approximately 1 year.

Digimon will end the last week of September and the new anime that will air on FujiTV will be on October 2, 2021 with the start of the fall anime season.

Coincidentally, Dragon Quest Dai is going to begin this October 2 and we remember that the announcement of the new series and its first trailer of a scene was presented at the end of December 2019 at the Jump Festa.

You already know that animators like Yuya Takahashi and Sanda participate in this anime. These 2 animators are very active on social media and often draw illustrations.

Sanda draws One Piece and Dragon Quest Dai, which are series where he is participating in its production. Well, he's been drawing Dragon Ball from time to time for a while now. In fact, his last drawing of Goku was made in mid-August.

https://twitter.com/ag_sanda1/status/12 ... 7709752320

Takahashi for his part is totally focused on drawing Dragon Ball. He has a YouTube channel teaching how to draw and animate.

https://twitter.com/TTSoolBNiuIb6jG/sta ... 0624366592

With Dragon Quest Dai we have seen that Toei's way of working has completely changed and now they produce their series with more than 1 year of time before its premiere. This allows key animators to participate in multiple series at the same time. For example Natoshi Shida has a scene in episode 1 of Dragon Quest Dai, he has also participated in the new Digimon series and One Piece.

My theory is that both Takahashi and Sanda are working on the new Dragon Ball series and the production of this series will be similar to Dragon Quest Dai with more than 1 year of production so that key animators can participate in other series.

I think Toei can surprise us this year at the Jump Festa and make the official announcement as Dragon Quest with a cutscene and announce it for October 2021 when Digimon ends.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:03 pm

We don't know if Dragon Quest is a special case made special by circumstances or a deliberate attempt at beginning series with healthy production schedules or not. It would be nice if it was, though. I also would not expect Dragon Ball to take over the time slot currently held by Digimon simply because. Episode counts can change at a moment's notice.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:13 am

Nanatsu88 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:41 pmI think Toei can surprise us this year at the Jump Festa and make the official announcement.
If the Moro arc ends in November, announcing it's getting an animated adaption the following month (alongside what Toyotaro will be writing next) will be perfect. If nothing's announced, then it might be time to give up on the anime returning, at least for the next few years.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:47 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:13 am
Nanatsu88 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:41 pmI think Toei can surprise us this year at the Jump Festa and make the official announcement.
. If nothing's announced, then it might be time to give up on the anime returning, at least for the next few years.
I can totally see that happening, but what gives? It's been 3 years. I wish we could talk to someone that actually works for Toei. the last guy said they didn't give up on Super yet, but I'm finding that harder and harder to believe every year.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:08 am

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:13 am If the Moro arc ends in November, announcing it's getting an animated adaption the following month (alongside what Toyotaro will be writing next) will be perfect. If nothing's announced, then it might be time to give up on the anime returning, at least for the next few years.
Even if there isn't such thing as DBS 2 Jump Festa should tell us what to expect next from the manga, because the current arc will end in the next chapters.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:12 pm

emperior wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:48 pmSo the earliest Super can come back is October 2021. Jeez, doesn’t sound too good.
Mate, I think you should just give up. I don't think Toei has any plans for a new Dragon Ball animated series for the next 5 years. Why? They're profiting the same much without one.

So be glad we still have things like Heroes short clips and the Moro side-story arc to entertain ourselves.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Rebel Instinct
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rebel Instinct » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:00 pm

Noah wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:12 pm Mate, I think you should just give up. I don't think Toei has any plans for a new Dragon Ball animated series for the next 5 years. Why? They're profiting the same much without one.

So be glad we still have things like Heroes short clips and the Moro side-story arc to entertain ourselves.
Why do I get the distinct impression that the only reason you bothered to comment was to say the bolded? The Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc is a part of the mainline canonical Dragon Ball story - period. It isn't a "side-story", it isn't "non-canon", it isn't "fanfiction" and no amount of pretending to the contrary will change that fact.

Regardless of your personal intent (as if it weren't abundantly obvious, lumping it in with Heroes), adding in "cute" little lines like the one highlighted above are neither clever nor useful.
The post-Super fandom has ruined my love for Dragon Ball.