Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun May 17, 2020 5:17 pm

Nice, hopefully other distributors take note and release the OG Dragon Ball movies first.

I'd love to own the Amazon masters but won't get my hopes up.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

kei17
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by kei17 » Sun May 17, 2020 5:58 pm

Javaki wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:20 pm Kazé announced a German Blu-ray release of the first 17 movies in 4 volumes.

Volume 1 will contain Dragon Ball movies 01 through 03 & the 10th Anniversary Movie (release: 20 July 2020)
Volume 2 will contain Dragon Ball Z movies 01 through 04 (ETA: late-August 2020)
Volume 3 will contain Dragon Ball Z movies 05 through 08 (ETA: late-September 2020)
Volume 4 will contain Dragon Ball Z movies 09 through 13 (ETA: late-November 2020)

I wonder which masters they gonna use :think:
In France, the DBZ movies were broadcast in HD recently, and they turned out to be the same as those used for the Japanese Blu-ray release (heavily DNR'ed, cel composition errors fixed) but without the censorship. So I guess that this release is using the same masters.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon May 18, 2020 5:19 am

kei17 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:58 pm
Javaki wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:20 pm Kazé announced a German Blu-ray release of the first 17 movies in 4 volumes.

Volume 1 will contain Dragon Ball movies 01 through 03 & the 10th Anniversary Movie (release: 20 July 2020)
Volume 2 will contain Dragon Ball Z movies 01 through 04 (ETA: late-August 2020)
Volume 3 will contain Dragon Ball Z movies 05 through 08 (ETA: late-September 2020)
Volume 4 will contain Dragon Ball Z movies 09 through 13 (ETA: late-November 2020)

In France, the DBZ movies were broadcast in HD recently, and they turned out to be the same as those used for the Japanese Blu-ray release (heavily DNR'ed, cel composition errors fixed) but without the censorship. So I guess that this release is using the same masters.
Oh, that's interesting.

Fernandez

Post by Fernandez » Mon May 18, 2020 2:58 pm

According to Amazon.de, the aspect ratio is 4:3. I believe that this information isn't meaningful yet and will be updated. But it makes you wonder.

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Javaki » Mon May 18, 2020 5:09 pm

Fernandez wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:58 pm

According to Amazon.de, the aspect ratio is 4:3. I believe that this information isn't meaningful yet and will be updated. But it makes you wonder.
I think they just copy&pasted the description from Kazés previous DVD release from 2011.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue May 19, 2020 11:38 pm

Javaki wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:09 pmI think they just copy&pasted the description from Kazés previous DVD release from 2011.
Probably but who knows, I'm hoping Kazé can release a 4:3 version of the HD remasters although I wouldn't count on it.

I seriously doubt that Toei would go through the trouble of remastering the 4:3 versions of the movies just for international licensees when it's much easier for them to just crop the image to 16:9, remaster that and call it a day (remember this is Toei we're talking about here, a company notorious for laziness and corner cutting so it wouldn't surprise me if that's exactly what they did).

The only feasible way I can think of that would make a 4:3 release even possible in this case is if Kazé specifically requested 4:3 versions from Toei and even then there's no guarantee Kazé would actually get them.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Fernandez

Post by Fernandez » Wed May 20, 2020 12:04 pm

"When asked, KAZÉ revealed a few details about the upcoming re-release of the old Dragon Ball Z movies. A Japanese HD master will be used for these film; [...] In addition to a higher resolution, this offers revised contrasts, stronger colours and a deeper picture with more details. In addition, all films are now displayed in 16:9 format." (Moviepilot, translated)

So if the DBZ movies are released in 16:9, the DB movies will most likely also be released in 16:9.

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Javaki » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:55 pm

Bruma rabu wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:02 pm Dragon Ball Movie 01 Blu Ray
I finally got my copy of the first German Blu-ray volume (with Dragon Ball movies 01 through 03 & the 10th Anniversary Movie) and uploaded some movie 01 screenshots over there. The aspect ratio is 16:9 (as expected, Amazon's description was wrong) and the picture quality looks pretty much the same as the one from the Japanese Blu-rays (heavy DNR'ed...)

Here are the current release dates for the remaining German Blu-ray volumes:
Volume 2 will contain Dragon Ball Z movies 01 through 04 (ETA: late-August 2020 21 September 2020)
Volume 3 will contain Dragon Ball Z movies 05 through 08 (ETA: late-September 2020 23 November 2020)

G1GACANN0N
Not-So-Newbie

Post by G1GACANN0N » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:26 pm

So how do the Funi releases of the movies compare to this new Toei remaster? Are the movies gonna be re-released stateside at some point then? Thx

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:59 am

G1GACANN0N wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:26 pm So how do the Funi releases of the movies compare to this new Toei remaster? Are the movies gonna be re-released stateside at some point then? Thx
Funi's releases look perfectly fine. Not as nice as Toei's, but Funi are very unlikely to import the Japanese masters at this point, much in the same way as they're unlikely to import the Japanese Dragon Box masters of OG DB.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Javaki » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:24 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:37 pm So far they've remastered:

[...]

Dragon Ball Z - TV Special 1
Dragon Ball Z - TV Special 2
Kazé Germany announced today to release both Dragon Ball Z TV specials alongside the Dragon Ball GT TV special inside one Blu-ray box on 18 March 2021 (ETA):
Kazé Germany wrote:Nachdem wir bereits die Movies zu Dragonball und Dragonball Z mit einem neuen Master auf DVD und erstmals auch auf Blu-ray veröffentlicht haben, folgen natürlich auch noch die Specials: Dragonball Z und Dragonball GT – The Specials vereinen die drei Specials Son Gokus Vater, Die Geschichte von Trunks und Son Goku Jr. in einer Box, ebenfalls mit neuem Master und zum ersten Mal auf Blu-ray. Voraussichtlich ab dem 18. März 2021 ist die Box I'm Handel erhältlich.
Kazé Germany (translated by me) wrote:After we finished releasing the Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z movies with a new master on DVD and for the first time on Blu-ray, of course, the specials will follow: Dragonball Z und Dragonball GT – The Specials will combine the three specials Son Gokus Vater, Die Geschichte von Trunks and Son Goku Jr. in one box, also with a new master and for the first time on Blu-ray. The box is expected to be in stores 18 March 2021.
This sounds like there actually is a HD remaster of the Dragon Ball GT TV special? :?:

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:10 pm

I cant remember how it went. Wasn't it that the Amazon JP versions looked better than the blu-ray releases? Or was it the other way around?
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:32 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:10 pm I cant remember how it went. Wasn't it that the Amazon JP versions looked better than the blu-ray releases? Or was it the other way around?
The Amazon versions are better. The Blu-Rays have DVNR applied to almost all the movies and ugly sharpening to on top of that for a couple others. And then the censorship.

To make matters worse, when fans complained, Toei didn't remove the censorship or make an alternate unedited release...no, they just put a disclaimer that they're censored. And gave a "think of the children!" justification.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:28 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:32 pm
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:10 pm I cant remember how it went. Wasn't it that the Amazon JP versions looked better than the blu-ray releases? Or was it the other way around?
The Amazon versions are better. The Blu-Rays have DVNR applied to almost all the movies and ugly sharpening to on top of that for a couple others. And then the censorship.

To make matters worse, when fans complained, Toei didn't remove the censorship or make an alternate unedited release...no, they just put a disclaimer that they're censored. And gave a "think of the children!" justification.
Honestly I'm confused why they'd bother having 2 distinct HD versions depending on where you get them. Wouldn't it just be easier to have both the streaming and physical releases be the same, censored cut?
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:49 pm

Javaki wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:24 pmKazé Germany announced today to release both Dragon Ball Z TV specials alongside the Dragon Ball GT TV special inside one Blu-ray box on 18 March 2021 (ETA):
This will be the first time the restored masters from Toei of the TV specials will be released on Blu-ray, right? I'm looking forward to it.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:03 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:28 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:32 pm

Honestly I'm confused why they'd bother having 2 distinct HD versions depending on where you get them. Wouldn't it just be easier to have both the streaming and physical releases be the same, censored cut?
Th Amazon/Netflix ones were put out several months ahead of the Blu-Rays...so who know why the fuck they decided to further tinker with something that had an overwhelmingly great reception, but well...Toei!
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:05 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:32 pm The Amazon/Netflix ones were put out several months ahead of the Blu-Rays...so who know why the fuck they decided to further tinker with something that had an overwhelmingly great reception, but well...Toei!
They were great but its a pity about the green tint. Is there someone with a poorly calibrated monitor at Toei or something?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:10 pm

Captain Awesome wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:05 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:32 pm The Amazon/Netflix ones were put out several months ahead of the Blu-Rays...so who know why the fuck they decided to further tinker with something that had an overwhelmingly great reception, but well...Toei!
They were great but its a pity about the green tint. Is there someone with a poorly calibrated monitor at Toei or something?
The green tint is for it to look correct on Japanese televisions. It's supposed to be disabled for export, but clearly for The Final Chapters and Funimation's master of Broly, they forgot.

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:47 pm

FWIW even the original japanese laserdisc movies had the tint to them. Dunno why their tvs need it but its interesting none the less.

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trachta10 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:14 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:10 pm
The green tint is for it to look correct on Japanese televisions. It's supposed to be disabled for export, but clearly for The Final Chapters and Funimation's master of Broly, they forgot.
Does it have something to do with the fact that the traffic lights in Japan are BLUE instead of green?