"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:54 pm

B e n wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:50 pm As someone who is a huge fan of the Cell Sagas, it would be a shame to imagine a DragonBall Z story without those pivotal arcs.
Then you are in for a treat:

- The stronger androids made me curse a lot because 18 can easily deplete your HP with a couple of her attacks.

- The ki-absorbing androids, including Cell, gave me a run for my money with their particular gimmicks. The fights that keep rebooting the CPU's HP and lowering mine were unfair, realistic and made me work for the win.

- Playing as Super Vegeta. I don't remember owning many games having this form, XV doesn't while having 200 characters.

- Fighting the Cell Jrs was awesome, I really felt that threat, and fighting as a team with SS Vegeta and SS Trunks left me with a nice M7's taste in my mouth.

- SS2 Gohan felt like a god. Breaking Cell's defense and super attacking him afterwards unlocks some really cool cinematics too.

I'll hide this one because you may not want to know everything, but if you don't care, check what's also on store:

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:29 am

B e n wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:50 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:23 pm
Yes. It definitely lives up to the hype. And yes, if exploration is what you want, Kakarot delivers.

You will perceive a vast improvement over XV2, visually is just a beautiful game, second to Fighterz only. The fighting seems less intricate, but there are some nice combos and different ways to engage certain enemies (the androids), the beam clashes are just amazing, the super attacks are greatly done. Every form has a different combo, base, kaioken, SS, SS2, they all perform different combos for the same character.

And the game is just insane, the saiyan arc and the Freeza arc were done down to a T. There is nothing left to add, it's the perfect rendition of those arcs. The last 2 arcs aren't as accurate (some fights or moments were skipped) but are still amazing. I can't speak about the DLC with Beerus and SSG because I haven't played it but people loved it.
See, I haven't played FighterZ so I can't comment but it does look like a nice, updated version of the classic 2D fighters like the Super Butoden series. I'm glad they've stuck to their guns on really hitting home with the Saiyan and Frieza arcs too because they are detrimental parts of the story. If I recall correctly, wasn't Toriyama's initial vision to have DragonBall Z end after the battle with Frieza? As someone who is a huge fan of the Cell Sagas, it would be a shame to imagine a DragonBall Z story without those pivotal arcs.
There are side things too, collectionable cards and stuff like that.

If you enjoyed DBZ Sagas, you'll go nuts with this one. My favourite DBZ game ever, so I definitely recommend it.

I should add that there is a lot of things to find in like 5 or 6 enormous maps. From food just to survive, to boosting items or mechanical parts to create cars and stuff
That sounds fantastic. A few years back I played Final Fantasy XV and fell in love with the characters, story and immense world to explore. It was up there with the likes of The Elder Scrolls as a series, but with a Japanese touch making it a JRPG. This is ideally what I'd want from Kakarot, and from the sounds of your review, it is exactly that.

Huge thanks for the info regarding the game - you may have just helped me make up my mind!
Kakarot aside, if you enjoy Street Fighter or fighter games, than you should try FighterZ. Not only it is looking beautyful but there is so much fan service and on spot things - I absolutely love the dialogs. But well, if you don't enjoy fighterz than the game can be boring to play trough :( And I love the new villain Android 21, basically Cell with Majin Buu cells.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:09 pm

It looks like SSB is coming

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:19 pm

SSGSS is indeed coming, and I'm here for it.

Assuming they'll make Golden Freeza the next superboss, I hope he's equally as challenging. Fighting level 250 Beerus (no food boosts) until you master his rhythm and can casually no-diff him feels so cash.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:37 pm

Not really into SSB but it’ll be fun going back to this game for the dlc after not playing it for months.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:32 pm

While the game is more faithful to the manga, the DLCs seem to be following the movies, so probably the 3rd DLC will have Gogeta and Broly, but does anybody think we might get Moro, Merus and UI? would people prefer that over the Broly movie?

Probably the plans for the DLCs were all planned in advanced and set in stone by now, but seeing the covid-related delays and that the Moro arc hopefully is coming to an end, could it be possible to get the current villain and the ultimate power up instead?

ShadowVezon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ShadowVezon » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:18 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:32 pm While the game is more faithful to the manga, the DLCs seem to be following the movies, so probably the 3rd DLC will have Gogeta and Broly, but does anybody think we might get Moro, Merus and UI? would people prefer that over the Broly movie?

Probably the plans for the DLCs were all planned in advanced and set in stone by now, but seeing the covid-related delays and that the Moro arc hopefully is coming to an end, could it be possible to get the current villain and the ultimate power up instead?
Incredibly unlikely, given that even Heroes hasn't touched that arc yet.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:50 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:32 pm While the game is more faithful to the manga, the DLCs seem to be following the movies, so probably the 3rd DLC will have Gogeta and Broly, but does anybody think we might get Moro, Merus and UI? would people prefer that over the Broly movie?

They will probably cover the Future Trunks arc from DBS or the OVA with Future Gohan. At least that's what the old leaks suggest
Or maybe they will mix the two into a single story arc.

I don't see new arcs like ToP or Broly appearing in the game yet

SaiyanKingMike

Post by SaiyanKingMike » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:41 pm

Heard rumors of a trailer coming out for the next DLC sometime before the end of September. Probably a bunch of rumors and not true though. Figured I ask on here if anyone has heard the same thing or if anyone has heard anything about the release of the next DLC.

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:44 am

Why are they doing these dlcs instead of making a full sequel? They could just have DB Super Kakarot

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:09 am

supersaiyandoctor wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:44 am Why are they doing these dlcs instead of making a full sequel? They could just have DB Super Kakarot
Considering how different these are from the actual movies/arcs, I think a Super sequel that adapts them properly is only a matter of time.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:39 am

SaiyanKingMike wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:41 pm Heard rumors of a trailer coming out for the next DLC sometime before the end of September. Probably a bunch of rumors and not true though. Figured I ask on here if anyone has heard the same thing or if anyone has heard anything about the release of the next DLC.
The latest scan says "autumn", so i guess october/november.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:56 am

Gt91 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:39 am
SaiyanKingMike wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:41 pm Heard rumors of a trailer coming out for the next DLC sometime before the end of September. Probably a bunch of rumors and not true though. Figured I ask on here if anyone has heard the same thing or if anyone has heard anything about the release of the next DLC.
Scan?

SSGSWarrior

Post by SSGSWarrior » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:53 am

supersaiyandoctor wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:44 am Why are they doing these dlcs instead of making a full sequel? They could just have DB Super Kakarot
I think they might milk the DLC if people are buying it. And it makes sense because they can keep selling season passes at $25 a pop for these 2-3 hour single player experiences. They make more with the DLC than the actual game because the game is $60 for a lot of content - the game's foundation (settings, models, movement coding, etc, etc) plus the Saiyan, Frieza, Cell, and Buu Sagas. I read it takes 35-40 hours to complete and upwards of 100 if your a perfectionist. So that's a minimum of $1.7 per hour of content if you finish the game in 35 hours. Since the DLC is $25 and there will be 3 DLCs, divide that be 3 hours of play and that's $2.78 per hour of content. DLC is making Bandai more money.

I would see a Kakarot 2 when they finish with DBS in Kakarot 1. Then they can market all of the same content + the Moro arc, with the added feature of multiplayer local and online battles and we'll all eat it up because we want that and love DB hardcore.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:40 pm

sangofe wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:56 am
Gt91 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:39 am
Scan?
This one

http://www.teamsaiyajin.it/wp-content/u ... scaled.jpg

On the 27th we'll have more news at the tokyo game show as well.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:10 am

And of course they dropped the ball, not even a trailer for the upcoming DLC. Thanks, Bamco.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:47 pm

Damn. I didn't say anything when Play Anime Live turned out to be a joke, but after TGS you just can't convince me Bandai doesn't take advantage of their costumers.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:07 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:47 pmAfter TGS you just can't convince me Bandai doesn't take advantage of their costumers.
Why wouldn't they ? they're putting the absolute bare minimum into Kakarot's DLC yet fans are still buying it and looking forward to more.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:27 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:07 am
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:47 pmAfter TGS you just can't convince me Bandai doesn't take advantage of their costumers.
Why wouldn't they ? they're putting the absolute bare minimum into Kakarot's DLC yet fans are still buying it and looking forward to more.
It isn't just the DLC, CC2's talents were wasted on this game. I can't be the only one that sees the huge quality jump between Kakarot and Naruto Storm games.

That's what happens when you get 3+ years to work on a game compared to 1, but I guess that's more Shueisha's fault if them making Bandai produce 1 Dragon Ball game a year is true.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:55 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:27 pmI can't be the only one that sees the huge quality jump between Kakarot and Naruto Storm games.

That's what happens when you get 3+ years to work on a game compared to 1, but I guess that's more Shueisha's fault if them making Bandai produce 1 Dragon Ball game a year is true.
We started hearing rumors about Kakarot in 2017. The game had plenty of time to develop. The issue isn't quality, but rather difference. Kakarot is an open world rpg, not a fighter.