"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:34 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:25 pm A bit more footage of Roshi. His Mafuba super seems to force character switch if it doesn't kill.

https://twitter.com/BNEesports/status/1 ... 89376?s=19
It also locks down the character it switches for what seems to be the duration of a C-assist cooldown. Being able to deprive an opponent of an assist for that amount of time is really useful.

The new footage gives a much better idea of how he'll play in the right hands- I really like the look of the reverse kamehameha in place of superdash in his combos, it also looks cool the way he smashes the ground with it to chase after a dragon rush.

Looking at the lightning attack, I genuinely can't believe it's unblockable. It comes out fast, appears to cover the entire screen, and holds them in place long enough for an easy vanish or C-assist to confirm into a combo. Considering how powerful GT Goku's beam covering that angle was and still is in the game's '"floor is lava" meta, it could be a massive game-changer. Will it be good enough to tempt people into using a character that can't superdash? I'm interested to see.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:21 pm

More Roshi gameplay:

https://youtu.be/sm-92zoASVE

Patch Notes:

Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:12 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:21 pm More Roshi gameplay:

https://youtu.be/sm-92zoASVE

Patch Notes:
Looking at Roshi gameplay like "and people thought he would be bad".

I'm getting nothing out of that patch lol. Freeza B and C assists changed (I use A), nothing for Kefla, and I'll have to see for myself if those Hit changes are a big deal. Maybe I'll put SSku back on the team now they've fixed his legs.

I appreciate the effort to focus on bringing up the struggling characters. Blugeta, Videl, Jiren, Gogeta and 16 got whole pages of patch notes. But nothing for Black and Zamasu. They seemed to have nerfed Bardock B thank god but otherwise didn't touch the top-tiers that much. Nerfed Base Vegeta and Yamcha's EX moves, no changes to UI Goku, Z Broly got a slight buff. Nothing for Kid Buu either, but I wouldn't blame them if they've just given up trying to change him.

And what the hell is up with Gotenks and Piccolo? I know those characters were big during the snap meta and fell off, but these changes are crazy.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:23 am

https://twitter.com/GO13151/status/1306 ... 37633?s=19

Roshi B assist has ki blast and (non-super) bean invulnerability starting on the first frame he buffs himself and onwards.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:45 am

It seems Master Roshi doesn't have any dramatic finishes. That's a shame, I think the ending of the 21st Budokai with GT Goku would have been a great addition. Other Roshi finishes that would have been a stretch but I would've been for it being added:
  • Yamcha's lost in the 21st Budokai
  • Krillin's lost in the 21st Budokai
  • Master Roshi's lost in the 22nd Budokai
  • Non Fatal Variant of the Mafuba fail against Piccolo, or maybe even have Piccolo use the Mafuba Counter.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:31 am

Roshi is tough to learn, there's a lot of muscle memory to unlearn in not having a superdash. Not just in neutral, but following up a launcher as well. People who put the effort in will be rewarded though, he's got some really cool moves and an answer for every situation.

I love his dialogue interactions too. This is clearly anime ToP Roshi since aside from quoting the turtle school speech from that one episode, he also treats the female fighters with more respect. He gets a very touching line with GT Goku ("Goku, tell Shenron thank you for the Dragon Balls") and a pretty awesome line with Goku Black ("How dare you misuse the body of one of my students!"), who gets a pretty awesome retort in kind ("Rejoice, for a god has chosen the body of your disciple.") and some generally sweet "I'm proud of you" lines with Goku, Krillin and the rest of the Z Fighters.

Not Yamcha though, Yamcha gets this:

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:10 am

Kataphrut wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:31 am Not Yamcha though, Yamcha gets this:
...Wow. I guess that's what happens when even your old master gets picked over you in TOP.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:09 am

Kataphrut wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:31 am Roshi is tough to learn, there's a lot of muscle memory to unlearn in not having a superdash. Not just in neutral, but following up a launcher as well. People who put the effort in will be rewarded though, he's got some really cool moves and an answer for every situation.

I love his dialogue interactions too. This is clearly anime ToP Roshi since aside from quoting the turtle school speech from that one episode, he also treats the female fighters with more respect. He gets a very touching line with GT Goku ("Goku, tell Shenron thank you for the Dragon Balls") and a pretty awesome line with Goku Black ("How dare you misuse the body of one of my students!"), who gets a pretty awesome retort in kind ("Rejoice, for a god has chosen the body of your disciple.") and some generally sweet "I'm proud of you" lines with Goku, Krillin and the rest of the Z Fighters.

Smh the disrepsect. And FighterZ really did some good with Yamcha prior to this

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:35 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:09 am
Kataphrut wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:31 am Roshi is tough to learn, there's a lot of muscle memory to unlearn in not having a superdash. Not just in neutral, but following up a launcher as well. People who put the effort in will be rewarded though, he's got some really cool moves and an answer for every situation.

Smh the disrepsect. And FighterZ really did some good with Yamcha prior to this
I thought they bashed him loads in the dub but also heard they completely changed the jp dialogue so...
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:05 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:31 am
ok I understand that it is a joke but ...

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:36 pm

The line is a direct reference to this scene where Yamcha asks Muten Roshi for advice about fighting in The Devil's Toliet.
Slight rewording in game localization makes it read with a different tone.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:12 pm

I'm not actually complaining about that line, it's pretty on par with how Yamcha is treated in modern material. I just think it's a funny contrast to all the heartwarming quotes he gets with everyone else.

He's so much fun to play, I wish I could devote the time and energy to master him. I think I'll give Jiren another go instead, the balance patch has turned him into a genuine monster now.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:18 pm

Probably not the only one who thinks Roshi is taller than he is in the original series, hope they fix that on the next update.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:24 pm

The more videos of Master Roshi I see, the more I'm intimidated by him. Doesn't help I've been putting my time into other fighting games. Do I really want to invest the time in to git gud? Should've been S2 DLC at the latest.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:18 am

You know what's funny about Muten Roshi being in FighterZ? This is the first time that a character has made it to Fighterz before they've made it to Xenoverse (well, besides Android 21, but she was created for this game, the game's OC, if you will. But that's besides the point). All of the pre-DLC characters were in Xenoverse before this game was even announced, and all of the DLC characters were either already DLC for Xenoverse or in the base game. And then we got Roshi, who's still not in Xenoverse yet, coming to FighterZ, marking the first time he's been playable in a major Dragon Ball console game since I wanna say Tenkaichi 3, but I might be wrong on that, someone feel free to correct me if I am. What do you guys think of this?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:25 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:18 am You know what's funny about Muten Roshi being in FighterZ? This is the first time that a character has made it to Fighterz before they've made it to Xenoverse (well, besides Android 21, but she was created for this game, the game's OC, if you will. But that's besides the point). All of the pre-DLC characters were in Xenoverse before this game was even announced, and all of the DLC characters were either already DLC for Xenoverse or in the base game. And then we got Roshi, who's still not in Xenoverse yet, coming to FighterZ, marking the first time he's been playable in a major Dragon Ball console game since I wanna say Tenkaichi 3, but I might be wrong on that, someone feel free to correct me if I am. What do you guys think of this?
I think it's amazing that we didn't have Roshi in a 2D db fighting game since Shin Butoden/Ultimate Battle 22.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:32 pm

The most recent fight based game he was playable in was Zenkai Battle Royale and last main console game was Revenge of King Piccolo which had its own versus mode if that counts. Most games tend to ignore the pre-Raditz era which he is most associated with.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:02 am

Roshi is unusual, but really fun to play as! It just get's some time and probably upcoming experience to get used to his uniqe dash, that can either result in acrobatic jump towards opponent or kamehameha propeller...

But somehow, the waiting overstayed it's welcome and as I moved away from FighterZ, can't get much back into it, even with new character finally in...
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:04 am

FoolsGil wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:10 am
Kataphrut wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:31 am Not Yamcha though, Yamcha gets this:
...Wow. I guess that's what happens when even your old master gets picked over you in TOP.
I have encountered this line yesterday as I tried him with this exact same team and damn, I have laughed... but god, Yamcha get's so much crap that I really feel so bad for him, that I can't play as this character seriously :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:50 pm

I honestly hope we get new story mode chapters for DLC because I do love the story mode in this game for doing something fun and creative.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/