Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:32 pm

VirtuaBranson wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:46 pm It’s really dumb that I’m considering these, mainly because I have all of Kai and am happy enough to keep the English dub of that. I do like the look of the steelbooks though.
Hey man, if your a collector and are managing your finances right don't feel bad about it. Dragon Ball wouldn't have had the success it has had globally without the large number of us who have done our part.

I have the 2013 Season sets, most of the singles and Kai (Season 1 & 2 twice for both score options) but am considering getting the UK season sets announced today because I want to support a 4:3 release and to get the art cards.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:24 pm

VirtuaBranson wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:46 pm It’s really dumb that I’m considering these, mainly because I have all of Kai and am happy enough to keep the English dub of that. I do like the look of the steelbooks though.

Also they need to release DBS Seasons and not sets dangit. Been waiting for that instead of another release of Z.
Do whatever you want. Don't let someone else's buying habits influence yours just so you can look cool on Kanzenshuu.

It's not like anyone here is gonna kick down your door and do a surprise inspection of your Dragon Ball merch to see if it's up to their standards. Even if someone tried what authority are they?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:02 pm

I'd say, only "hope" for proper, not limited 4:3 DB/DBZ/GT release, is Discotek Media, unlike Funimation, I'm almost 100% certain, they would prepare best possible release, maybe even with broadcast audio? :) If they could use laser disc footage for Project A-Ko, then I'm sure they would at least attempt to get it :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:30 pm

coola wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:02 pm I'd say, only "hope" for proper, not limited 4:3 DB/DBZ/GT release, is Discotek Media, unlike Funimation, I'm almost 100% certain, they would prepare best possible release, maybe even with broadcast audio? :) If they could use laser disc footage for Project A-Ko, then I'm sure they would at least attempt to get it :)
I heard that the master for A-ko were lost and the only best-looking source was from the LaserDisc. But I mentioned a few years ago how I'd love with funi to work with another party for either a MOD release or special release that were basically untouched scans. I didnt know Discotek released AKo, I wonder if it's worth upgrading my VHS copy

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:48 pm

If I buy another DBZ release, it'd be a hypothetical competent remaster. Because if I watch Dragon Ball Z, it's gonna be in English, and well, the English dub (sans UUC) is unwatchable until the Cell Games—I have a 1TB HDD containing all of Kai w/ the Faulconer score (footage ripped from my legally owned Kai Blu-rays :thumbup: ) for that. So it would take a special kind of release to warrant me watching Z.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:28 am

coola wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:02 pm I'd say, only "hope" for proper, not limited 4:3 DB/DBZ/GT release, is Discotek Media, unlike Funimation, I'm almost 100% certain, they would prepare best possible release, maybe even with broadcast audio? :) If they could use laser disc footage for Project A-Ko, then I'm sure they would at least attempt to get it :)
That's not going to happen, sadly. Someone tweeted Justin Sevakis recently about Discotek releasing the Ocean dub of Kai, he said that's not possible because it's up to TOEI who their exclusive distributor of Dragon Ball in North America is, and it's been Funimation for well over 20 years. It would be amazing though, Discotek would likely include all things Funimation omits.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

CuppaKofe

Post by CuppaKofe » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:57 am

It's really amusing how MangaUK announced their regular release at the exact same as their Steelbooks, but Funimation is still up to their old "This limited releases is totally definitely maybe the last way to get 4:3 DBZ we promise, please buy" tactic.
Looking for the following Pioneer single:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:01 am

So... the limited edition... set... was... just for the box, book, and Goku figure? Alright, whatever. Just means I don't have to wait around to get these as they release nine of them over a two-year time period.

Still can't help but feel a bit dicked around by Funimation. Just to be clear, Funi: I buy your merchandise for Dragon Ball, not for you. They really do come off totally untrustworthy sometimes -- and I'm not referring to their crappy remastering process.

But, I swear, if this thing is going to have actual extra features (because, you know, the "OMG SUPER DUPER POOPER INCREDIBLE LIMITED EDITION AMAZING 30TH ANNIVERSARY BETTER THAN SEX PRE-ORDER IT TODAY OR IT'LL NEVER COME OUT AGAIN!!!" had the exact same features as previous releases, giving us interviews from 6 years prior), I'm going to be really pissed.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:38 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:01 am So... the limited edition... set... was... just for the box, book, and Goku figure? Alright, whatever. Just means I don't have to wait around to get these as they release nine of them over a two-year time period.

Still can't help but feel a bit dicked around by Funimation. Just to be clear, Funi: I buy your merchandise for Dragon Ball, not for you. They really do come off totally untrustworthy sometimes -- and I'm not referring to their crappy remastering process.

But, I swear, if this thing is going to have actual extra features (because, you know, the "OMG SUPER DUPER POOPER INCREDIBLE LIMITED EDITION AMAZING 30TH ANNIVERSARY BETTER THAN SEX PRE-ORDER IT TODAY OR IT'LL NEVER COME OUT AGAIN!!!" had the exact same features as previous releases, giving us interviews from 6 years prior), I'm going to be really pissed.
I'm not gonna hold my breath on extra features. These will likely just be exactly what you think it is.
(they/she)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:29 pm

Kendamu wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:38 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:01 am So... the limited edition... set... was... just for the box, book, and Goku figure? Alright, whatever. Just means I don't have to wait around to get these as they release nine of them over a two-year time period.

I'm not gonna hold my breath on extra features. These will likely just be exactly what you think it is.
Yeah. Good.

Besides, I feel like after the last year or so, Funimation's cast kind of dropped off the face of the Earth. No interviews or anything (unless I missed something). So, they might not have anything new to add. And as I said: good! Sorry, but that would be total horse crap.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:49 pm

They're not even advertising this release in the US. A fan just kinda found it and now we're talking about it on our own. Theres no way anything new is on here.
(they/she)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:59 pm

Kendamu wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:49 pm They're not even advertising this release in the US. A fan just kinda found it and now we're talking about it on our own. Theres no way anything new is on here.
Someone on bluray.com said this
I have heard rumors... the Steelbooks will be an improvement on the 30th anniversary Blu-Rays. Specifically that the fake grain layer will be removed and the colors less saturated. Unfortunately I can’t find any reliable reference, so I may just have to wait for the inevitable online comparison videos.

I am actually springing for these Steelbooks. I was tempted to make an impulse buy for the 30th last year but I decided not to. I’m glad I waited. I hate those cardboard sleeve disc cases and if these are improved that will be even better.
Now it's a 100% grain of salt but given FUNi's obsession with minor tinkering since the OB, I wouldn't be too surprised.

I know cowboy bebop is getting a steelbook release as well, I'm not sure that's been advertised either

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:04 pm

I have heard rumors... the Steelbooks will be an improvement on the 30th anniversary Blu-Rays. Specifically that the fake grain layer will be removed and the colors less saturated.
I guess it could happen, but I just can't see Funi doing this, as it'll prevent them from releasing the show later down the line with these potential changes.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:41 pm

You know, I'd consider this a tolerable release if it was the same remaster, just without that fake grain layer.

I mean, the DNR is a bad thing, but then further muddying it up with artificial noise just makes it even worse.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:48 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:59 pm Someone on bluray.com said this
I have heard rumors... the Steelbooks will be an improvement on the 30th anniversary Blu-Rays. Specifically that the fake grain layer will be removed and the colors less saturated. Unfortunately I can’t find any reliable reference, so I may just have to wait for the inevitable online comparison videos.

I am actually springing for these Steelbooks. I was tempted to make an impulse buy for the 30th last year but I decided not to. I’m glad I waited. I hate those cardboard sleeve disc cases and if these are improved that will be even better.
Psssh, sounds like something that YouTube guy made up to get attention.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:18 pm

I wanna watch the show in HD, and we'll probably never get it properly... So I pre-ordered the non-steelbook version of season 1...

I think Manga already confirmed they're just the same discs as the 30th Box anyway.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:11 pm

The Time Traveller wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:18 pm I wanna watch the show in HD, and we'll probably never get it properly... So I pre-ordered the non-steelbook version of season 1...
I think Manga already confirmed they're just the same discs as the 30th Box anyway.
This makes the most sense to me; it saves a LOT of money to literally re-use the same ISOs and just change what the art print on the top is.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:54 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:11 pm
The Time Traveller wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:18 pm I wanna watch the show in HD, and we'll probably never get it properly... So I pre-ordered the non-steelbook version of season 1...
This makes the most sense to me; it saves a LOT of money to literally re-use the same ISOs and just change what the art print on the top is.
Normally I'd agree, but this is FUNimation :lol: so while I wouldnt be suprised if they tinkered with it again, also wouldnt be suprised if they didnt

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:01 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:54 pm

Normally I'd agree, but this is FUNimation :lol: so while I wouldnt be suprised if they tinkered with it again, also wouldnt be suprised if they didnt
If they messed with it again I'd expect the'd have a video out withere with Chris Sabat in his deep trailer voice like, "We messed with it again and this time it's really definitive," or something. :lol:
(they/she)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:04 pm

Kendamu wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:01 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:54 pm
If they messed with it again I'd expect the'd have a video out withere with Chris Sabat in his deep trailer voice like, "We messed with it again and this time it's really definitive," or something. :lol:
Dragon Ball Z: The deFUNItive edition :lol:

"The fanbase is split but we've brought them together. Glorius HD master 33.3% of the image quality with full-grain. 33.3% of the image baby smooth and 33.3% of the image enhanced to widescreen aspect ratio Experience DBZ like you have before and like you haven't!"