"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DevilKing99
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by DevilKing99 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:49 pm

Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:32 pm I just hope that when Moro is ultimately defeated for good that letting him go free is not considered an option. Because here's what would happen if Moro lived by the end of the arc.

Moro : Is allowed to live.

Proceeds to break out all his henchmen, power them up to the point the Z fighters can't stop them, draining planets that escaped his radar, drain Earth, kill everyone and look for ways to get to other universes, meaning they failed and that everyone basically screwed up.
Were going to be with Moro at least 2x chapters, especially after what was said in the last panels,.

Honestly, Moro is seriously the most worthless main villain in Dragon Ball history.

Beerus and Whis don't seem to care for him at all, They have been standing right next to Moro the past two chapters and Moro does not even know who they are, Jaco knew who Beerus was and Moro does not not despite being around in U7 for 1 million years.

Moro does not even know of Freeza despite being out of prison for two months, Kaioshin and Od Kai don't seem to care for him at all.
Last edited by DevilKing99 on Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DevilKing99
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DevilKing99 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:51 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:20 pm This Moro guy is gonna die without them ever really bothering to explain what is actual motivation is.

The guy showed up, was all "I wanna eat" and there's been fighting ever since.

I know Dragon Ball villains have never had the best motivations or development but the character has been written with nothing really going for him. This is what separates him from Zamasu because at least you knew what he was fighting for and why it mattered that he is defeated.
The only thing we know of Moro's character is that he is evil, that's pretty much all there is to him.

Anomandaris

Post by Anomandaris » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:57 pm

Can't wait to see how this ends - I also feel like I'm reading a different series than some of you - it's a manga, not Hamlet :roll:

DevilKing99
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DevilKing99 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:24 am

Anomandaris wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:57 pm Can't wait to see how this ends - I also feel like I'm reading a different series than some of you - it's a manga, not Hamlet :roll:
Oh, it's most people actually love this arc from what I have seen, my group is the vocal minority here actually, don't let me or anybody else discourage from loving it, I'm just a lore nerd so I'm kind of disappointed that I didn't get more of that.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:21 pm

Anomandaris wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:57 pm Can't wait to see how this ends - I also feel like I'm reading a different series than some of you - it's a manga, not Hamlet :roll:
Hamlet doesn't have strenght levels to debate.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:52 am

Whether Moro lives, dies, stays on Earth, teams up with Frieza and Broly, goes off planet to live in solitude, it doesn't matter.

Everything is alright by the End of Z.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:36 am

Peach wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:52 am Whether Moro lives, dies, stays on Earth, teams up with Frieza and Broly, goes off planet to live in solitude, it doesn't matter.

This is the biggest issue with keeping everything within the 10 year gap. You can get away with it once or twice, but not for as long as they have. The problem is that there's 0 Moro can do that will truly surprise us, because we know everything will be OK thanks to EOZ.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:30 am

I'm in the camp of EoZ getting retconned, at least to some extent anyways. Toriyama seemingly had a clear vision on how to conclude the series back in 1995 and that it would stand the test of time. However, given that he has since tweaked a few details in the 10 year gap as well as having an imaginative protege taking the reins a bit, I wouldn't be surprised if EoZ might be somewhat of a red herring. The events of the last few chapters could be an imagining of Goku's in how things will go down with meeting Boo's reincarnation or simply how Goku might perceive it. Other things could be going down at the same time and Goku would be so single-minded about meeting Oob that he simply wouldn't notice anything else.
It would be an ambitious departure from the well known ending to Toriyama's story but is that a terrible thing if it means more DB?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:34 am

Peach wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:52 amEverything is alright by the End of Z.
Maybe Beerus can be kill because it's strange that he (and Whis) wouldn't come to a casual Tournament just for some food and company.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:58 pm

Xeogran wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:34 am
Peach wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:52 amEverything is alright by the End of Z.
Maybe Beerus can be kill because it's strange that he (and Whis) wouldn't come to a casual Tournament just for some food and company.
Beerus and Whis aren’t on Earth all the time. Why would they care about a low level tournament with iffy food. They’re only on Earth now because of Moro, meaning they hadn’t traveled to Earth in over a month.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:26 pm

It won't surprise me if Goku kills Moro. Unlike the DB series, Super does not have many major bad guys. Beerus, Champa, Jiren, and Broly are not bad guys. Super only has Freeza, Zamasu, and Moro as their own major villains so far. Freeza is the only one that was killed by Goku and Zamasu was erased from exsitence from Zen-Oh. I would honstley have Vegeta kill Moro, but Goku doing it is way more likely.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:10 am

Xeogran wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:34 amMaybe Beerus can be kill because it's strange that he (and Whis) wouldn't come to a casual Tournament just for some food and company.
They weren't there because they weren't created at the time. When we get to EOZ, it'll probably be changed a bit to include the new elements and characters introduced since 2013.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:24 am

Peach wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:52 am Whether Moro lives, dies, stays on Earth, teams up with Frieza and Broly, goes off planet to live in solitude, it doesn't matter.

It's not like this franchise isn't known for retcon things or anything. Anyway new characters like Beerus and Whis can still die and other timelines or Universes can get erased.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:59 am

I would love to see Vegeta fight Goku over sparring Moro.

AndLad92

Post by AndLad92 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:01 am

FlpShimizu wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:56 am
Skar wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:35 am I was checking the spine arts for a different thread and reminded of the discussion for Super's. I always had the updated spine arts in mind so I noticed something when looking over the one for the first release:

Some people theorized the yellow bar in Super's might be Uub riding the Nimbus. It's a nice reference to this one with Uub going the opposite direction of Goku. Also this one only showed the antagonists up to the Cell saga so Super's may not necessarily show every major antagonist. This doesn't indicate that it's ending soon and there's likely going to be at least one more arc but I just thought this was interesting.
I'd really like that. I remember Toyo saying they were already thinkng about reaching EoZ in an interview, but it's been a long time. Not only that, Uub was mentioned in both manga and anime (even appeared in the manga). Surely that means he's still part of the plans for the series in the minds of Toyo, Toriyama and Toei.

Do we have the spine arts available from Super put together like this?
I know it's a late reply, but I felt that I would show my Dragon Ball Super manga collection, which includes the first 10 volumes, the only ones that have been released in english until now.

On another note, I have been making an overview of the presumed release dates of DB Super volumes in Japan and the english editions. We all know that the english edition is lacking behind the Japanese edition, but it seems that the English edition will keep up to the Japanese eventually because:
Up until now the Japanese DB Super volumes have been released every 4th. month, but the English editions are released every 3rd. month. It means that the english edition eventually will keep up to the Japanese edition in December 2023 (if DB Super is running this long) according to this overview I made:

Volume 11: chapter 49, 50, 51, 52 – release date: JPN December 2019/EU December 2020 (spine art: Dyspo) Title: Great Escape CONFIRMED
Volume 12: chapter 53, 54, 55, 56 – release date: JPN April 2020/EU Marts 2021 (Spine art: Toppo) Title: Merus's True Identity CONFIRMED
Volume 13: chapter 57, 58, 59, 60 – presumed release date: JPN August 2020/EU June 2021 (Spine art: Belmod) Title: Battles Abound
Volume 14: chapter 61, 62, 63, 64 – presumed release date: JPN December 2020/EU September 2021 Title: Son Goku, Galactic Patrol Officer
Volume 15: chapter 65, 66, 67, 68 – presumed release date: JPN April 2021/EU December 2021
Volume 16: chapter 69, 70, 71, 72 – presumed release date: JPN August 2021/EU Marts 2022
Volume 17: chapter 73, 74, 75, 76 – presumed release date: JPN December 2021/EU June 2022
Volume 18: chapter 77, 78, 79, 80 – presumed release date: JPN April 2022/EU September 2022
Volume 19: chapter 81, 82, 83, 84 – presumed release date: JPN August 2022/EU December 2022
Volume 20: chapter 85, 86, 87, 88 – presumed release date: JPN December 2022/EU Marts 2023
Volume 21: chapter 89, 90, 91, 92 – presumed release date: JPN April 2023/EU June 2023
Volume 22: chapter 93, 94, 95, 96 – presumed release date: JPN August 2023/EU September 2023
Volume 23: chapter 97, 98, 99, 100 – presumed release date: JPN December 2023/EU December 2023
As a big fan of Dragon Ball, I should be expected to hate the live action movie "Dragon Ball: Evolution", but I don't. I don't like it because of the content, but because it gave us Dragon Ball Super:

"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:01 am

AndLad92 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:01 amUp until now the Japanese DB Super volumes have been released every 4th. month, but the English editions are released every 3rd. month. It means that the english edition eventually will keep up to the Japanese edition in December 2023 (if DB Super is running this long) according to this overview I made:
Hmm if it does reach chapter 100, that would be about two more arcs. I could see that happening since Goku learned to use Omen at will this arc so it might take another arc or two to fully master UI. I assume that's the endgame unless Toriyama decides to introduce more transformations.

Also thanks for the spine art image :thumbup:.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:28 pm

Does anyone else find it strange that they keep saying Moro can’t absorb the androids ki. Like obviously they don’t have Ki for fighting, but they should still have life energy for him to steal. They could give energy to the Spirit Bomb in the Buu Saga, Goku instant transmissions to 18, they could be brought back by the Dragon Balls While Android 16 couldn’t.

I know what he was going for, but it doesn’t really make sense when you think of it.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:51 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:28 pm Does anyone else find it strange that they keep saying Moro can’t absorb the androids ki. Like obviously they don’t have Ki for fighting, but they should still have life energy for him to steal.
I tend to think of it as though they have a Human base, but are completely reliant on the Infinite Energy engine to live. If that weren't the case, Gero's remote (which, according to Daizenshuu 7, shuts off the engine) would just shut off their extra power and leave them as ordinary people, rather than deactivating them completely like it does.
DiscountDabi wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:28 pmGoku instant transmissions to 18
This bit made me sit up and take notice - when does this happen, exactly?

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:10 am

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:51 pm
In the anime when they fight with Anilaza

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:17 am

DestructoDisc wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:10 am
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:51 pm
In the anime when they fight with Anilaza
I'd say “not in the toriyama outline so not a canon feat”

But in the manga they also teleport away from jiren behind a random wall. I've always assumed even before this that he can teleport to anything in eyesight, it's just you need a ki to lock onto to go longer distances.

Either way I think this doesn't answer the do androids have ki question.

They must have at least genki, and they are still a living being. I assumed they had normal human amounts of ki and it just couldn't be detected for some reason.

It gets more blurry when you realise that 17 donating to the genki dama was a last minute replacement for Luncu
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.