How did Freeza last against SS Goku on Namek for so long when he was outclassed?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

How did Freeza last against SS Goku on Namek for so long when he was outclassed?

Post by precita » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:13 pm

This is on top of surviving the Spirit Bomb just before which looked like it did considerable damage to him and he thought he almost died from it. Goku then turns Super Saiyan and outclasses him in every way, yet Freeza still takes tons of blows instead of being knocked out in a hit or two (like how Goku defeated Nappa or Recoome with barely any blows), and then on top of that survived the planet exploding on him while he was cut in half.

Yes we know Freeza is insanely strong, but was he really not using his full power most of that time? If anything the moment Goku turned Super Saiyan, the fight should have been over in one or two blows like how the Nappa/Recoome fights ended. How did he keep going so long? I realize the anime embellished this a lot with added scenes but it's similar in the manga too.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How did Freeza last against SS Goku on Namek for so long when he was outclassed?

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:13 am

His race is extremely durable. As you said he survived a planet exploding on him twice without much power left in him.

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: How did Freeza last against SS Goku on Namek for so long when he was outclassed?

Post by Lionel » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:42 am

To be honest, I suspect Toriyama may have not been keeping in mind the physics of Dragon Ball's power model when he wrote for that battle. You could reverse the roles and ask why untransformed Goku was able to survive the first strike against Freeza using 50% of his power instead of being torn apart from the slightest contact. Freeza was beginning to show a degree of seriousness with his attacks and remarked about Goku's ability to survive. I think there's enduring greater amounts of punishment because you're a member of a galaxy renowned warrior species and then there's enduring attacks from an enemy who should be outside your dimension, so to speak.

Toriyama had a plot line he wished to draw out and so he did. Certain details or conditions may be overlooked for him to get the scene he wants.

blacksymbiote
Beyond Newbie

Post by blacksymbiote » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:01 am

Simple answer, Goku wasn't fighting to KO or kill him. Simply to humiliate him.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:26 pm

When I first watched the fight, I thought that Goku was continuously getting stronger as he got used to the SSJ form, but then I came to the opposite conclusion: Goku's strength in SSJ1 was fairly constant, but Freeza was getting weaker due to injury and exhaustion.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:18 am

Goku was pretty worn out too by time he turned SSJ, he had some trouble with Freeza even before he powered up 100%.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:19 pm

It seems to be basically what happens in the F movie. Freeza gets stronger than Goku, but can’t keep his full power for long. Goku is strong enough to withstand until that moment.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:34 am

Frieza is more durable and Goku is pulling his punches. Remember he wants Frieza to suffer. Goku goes for the finishing blow the first time and Frieza tries to blow up the planet. Frieza then tells Goku about 100% of his power and the saiyan side takes over for Goku.

Now here the important part. 5 mins starts before Frieza powers up, then the situation with the wish to move everyone. Goku and Frieza fight somemore, Goku says its done and powers down. Frieza uses his disk and Goku powers back up.

They fight, Frieza is cut in half begs Goku for help then Goku helps him. They talk then Goku flies off and finally beats Frieza. Goku then has time to start Frieza's ship, escape and then start Ginyu's pod.

Goku likely defeated Frieza in that fight in 2-3 minutes when you factor in everything they did. Even if Namek took 10 minutes to explode Goku beat Frieza in half the time.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:59 am

Because Goku is apparently only capable of being minorly miffed at seeing his best friend killed in front of him.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

JFK

Post by JFK » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:02 am

I think Frieza's skin is like a layer of armor. It mitigates a lot of the damage from hand-to-hand combat and ki attacks. That's how he could take all that punishment from SSj Goku and still keep ticking; it's like he has a very tough shell around him. Trying to beat Frieza with "blunt" damage takes all day, as we saw. But as Trunks demonstrated, he has no resistance to the "cutting" damage that swords inflict.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:38 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:59 am Because Goku is apparently only capable of being minorly miffed at seeing his best friend killed in front of him.
Well lets be fair, it wasn't the first time he died so he's not gonna be as angry, he's already grieved for Krillin, why waste time grieving more when he can punch space alien man and tussle more?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:10 pm

The gap wasn't as big as some believe it to be. I don't even think he was outclassed, as despite Goku having the edge, he was still able to hold his own pretty well. If it weren't for his body giving out on him, not only would the fight have lasted longer, he may have won as well.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:12 pm

Goku wanted to punish him. Once he was transformed at no point do I think Freeza was close to Goku's equal. He's still incredibly strong and durable but Goku has the edge in power and technique. He's also the more battle tested fighter I would guess since Freeza doesn't strike me as the type to get his hands dirty unless he has to.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:34 pm

I also think you have to factor in which version of the fight your viewing.

It's been a while since I read the manga but from what I recall Frieza, while he dose get a few good shots in, never really gives Goku a hard time without resorting to trickery.

Meanwhile in the Anime the fight is longer and thus to keep thing intreasting they can't have Frieza wailed on my Goku for that amount of time so he gets to put up a better fight in order to keep up the tension. Also if you want to count filler, he gets a brief chance to power down from 100% while fighting Gohan, so even if he's getting a beating his body isn't being stressed by his full power.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:40 am

Well in the anime Goku falls unconscious into a volcano for some reason when Gohan comes back to fight Freeza for a bit. I don't think the anime ever even explained that since Goku was just knocked out for awhile and then just came back up after Gohan had been fighting Freeza a bit before flying off back to the ship

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:31 am

Goku beat Frieza in 2-3 minutes regardless. The action is drawn out for suspense especially in the anime but if you keep the 5 minutes till Namek explodes and even double the time Goku takes out Frieza very quickly.

It takes us longer to listen to one song then it took Goku to beat Frieza.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:54 pm

As others have said, it's likely a combination of things.

Goku wanting to put Freeza through the ringer and humilate him a bit, Freeza being absurdly durable even when his power level is so much smaller by comparison, and Freeza himself pushing his power to its limits just to try and keep up with Super Saiyan and managing to make the power gap less of a stomp.

Mike XL

Post by Mike XL » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:18 pm

Insane levels of durability. He survived a hakai from someone with God of Destruction powers, which is supposed to erase you from existence, he survived Namek blowing up in his face after he got cut in half while he only had a little ki that he got from Goku, was able to somehow stay alive while in pieces after he was revived in the ROF arc, etc. He's also ridiculously intense and tenacious, and has decent fighting ability for someone who pretty much never fought seriously before.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:43 pm

Mike XL wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:18 pm which is supposed to erase you from existence
I've seen this, and "destroys your soul" statements many times, but I don't remember them in the anime or manga.

May I ask for source?

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:41 pm

ankokudaishogun wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:43 pm
Mike XL wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:18 pm which is supposed to erase you from existence
I've seen this, and "destroys your soul" statements many times, but I don't remember them in the anime or manga.

May I ask for source?
In the anime, when Beerus uses the Hakai on Zamasu, he says he won't go to the afterlife and that he was erased from existence. When Sidra gives the Hakai Energy to the assassin leader, he tells him that using it on Freeza will prevent him from going to the afterlife and that he'll cease to exist.