Would you pay Funimation via Kickstarter for a redub of the full Dragon Ball media

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Would you pay Funimation via Kickstarter for a redub of the full Dragon Ball media

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:20 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:09 pm I can't stand Armstrong's voice. It's *too* avuncular. The guy needs to lighten up and have some fun. His narrator sounds too hinged and takes things too seriously.
I get the opposite impression from Brice Armstrong’s narration. He sounds to me like a laid back old man reading his grandkids a bedtime story.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Would you pay Funimation via Kickstarter for a redub of the full Dragon Ball media

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:38 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:20 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:09 pm I can't stand Armstrong's voice. It's *too* avuncular. The guy needs to lighten up and have some fun. His narrator sounds too hinged and takes things too seriously.
I get the opposite impression from Brice Armstrong’s narration. He sounds to me like a laid back old man reading his grandkids a bedtime story.
It at least sounds fitting and closer to Yanami at least to some degree, unlike the over the top edgy hardcore-ness that both Kelly and Herbert did with Z although that was more in terms of the other localization decisions FUNi's suits made during the old dub's production back in the late '90s/early 2000's.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:52 pm

It's ill-fitting for me. Dragon Ball is not a bedtime story. And "laid-back old man" is not how I would describe Yanami's narrator. To me he sounds like the kind of uncle that shows up to the birthday party with loads of fruit punch soda and stuffs himself with pizza and ice cream, or takes you out on his boat at the lake in the summer and goes skinny dipping or something.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:18 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:52 pm It's ill-fitting for me. Dragon Ball is not a bedtime story. And "laid-back old man" is not how I would describe Yanami's narrator. To me he sounds like the kind of uncle that shows up to the birthday party with loads of fruit punch soda and stuffs himself with pizza and ice cream, or takes you out on his boat at the lake in the summer and goes skinny dipping or something.
Different strokes there i suppose, i personally don't get that feeling from Armstrong's style of narration in DB's dub. I still don't find it nearly as grating as Dale Kelly's WWF/monster truck rally announcer impression with terrible dialogue like "Oh yeah i almost forgot...KRILLIN's IN DA HOUSE!!!!" among others.

Plus of course stuff like this...yeah they really punched up those recaps and previews.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7NydttiYuvo
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:24 pm

THAT POST WAS AWESOME. I love it.

Sadly by Kai I think much of that has been extinguished from poor Mr Yanami. I love him. But I when I heard him as soon as Freeza Kai I feared he would die at the end of every line.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:01 am

Pioneer quality Ocean dub sounds dope but we all know Kelamis is the MVP so he's a must.

Honestly though any redub at this point would need to be an entirely all-new cast. None of the previous castings measure up, and it's better anyway to start completely fresh.
Kelamis is the most valuable player? Even Freeza's Ocean dub voice is better than him and she was miscast.

Avuncular can inlude fun and I don't see how his narrations don't qualify. You make it sound like he's the dude who did the narration for GT. And a big part of the joke is that DB's narrator sounds earnest.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:47 am

Armstrong sounds like someone’s grandfather whose really into the story he’s telling his grandchildren.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:23 am

Wow, I never realized there were people who disliked Armstrong. I've even seen other fans who prefer the original Japanese voice who really liked him. He was one of my favorite Funimation VA's, he could make anything sound good.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:03 am

I would rather contribute to a Kickstarter for a better home release of Z.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:26 am

All i'll say is you guys hating on the "old man telling a bedtime story" narrator are gonna feel so silly when it's revealed at the end that the whole of Dragon Ball has been Vegeta telling Trunks Jr Jr the tale of his best buddy Goku and how he got so strong.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:06 pm

As much as I'd like to see a redub of OG DB FUNi will NEVER get another penny from me, they've spit on the DB fanbase in some of the most appalling ways I have ever seen from a company that I just can't bring myself to support them and haven't since 2015 (I was tempted to break that boycott for the 30th anniversary release until we saw how they butchered the video yet again) AFAIC f**k them.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:37 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:23 am Wow, I never realized there were people who disliked Armstrong. I've even seen other fans who prefer the original Japanese voice who really liked him. He was one of my favorite Funimation VA's, he could make anything sound good.
He's fine but I personally prefer Doc Morgan.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:17 pm

I certainly would for OG Dragon Ball. It would likely be Colleen Clinkenbeard for Kid Goku (I love her Kid Gohan voice and her Kid Goku has grown on me immensely with FighterZ). Funimation's dubbed of Dragon Ball is definitely superior to its initial in-house dub of Z...but it definitely could use a re-do to be more manga accurate and with the more-experienced voice actors. Any effort to push OG Dragon Ball more into the limelight has my support, really.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:27 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:39 am Prior to Super? And under which conditions would you pay. GO WILD! Like Including the Ocean cast! (Wink Wink Robo). Its a fully faithful hypothetical redub though. THAT is the one thing you cant change.

And please, no "That would never happen"
NO! They'd still probably cater to dub fans, unless they are going to cast accurately, and translate things accurately without adding stupid unneeded lines, then I wouldn't give them a cent.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:41 pm

I'd also be interested in seeing another (perhaps older/nonexistent) company handle Z, like Cloverway of ADV even if it wouldn't be better. FUNi (for me) still has that attachment to the old ocean dub even H.G dub.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:13 pm

Aim wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:27 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:39 am Prior to Super? And under which conditions would you pay. GO WILD! Like Including the Ocean cast! (Wink Wink Robo). Its a fully faithful hypothetical redub though. THAT is the one thing you cant change.

And please, no "That would never happen"
NO! They'd still probably cater to dub fans, unless they are going to cast accurately, and translate things accurately without adding stupid unneeded lines, then I wouldn't give them a cent.
This is an hypothetical thread. It operates under the pretense that its 255% going to happen. Otherwise its just another boring thread.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:55 am

There was a time in my life where I'd be excited about the prospect of such a thing, but nowadays I'll just watch the Japanese versions or if I really need it in English, I can tolerated FUNi's Dragon Ball dub, and Kai's dub is good enough as well.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:09 pm

Since we're talking entirely in hypothetical here, sure, why not?I rarely crowdfund, though. I would also require everyone involved prior to Kai to be recast. Everyone. No more Schemmel, no more Sabat, no one. An incredibly faithful script that doesn't have pointless references to old dubs or teeth grinding meme/Abridged references. And, since it would of course be a dual-language release because what is this 1997, the subtitles would not have the Funimations name changes, because neither would this release on the packaging or anything associated with it. As far as this release would be concerned, the old dub doesn't exist.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:14 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:13 pm This is an hypothetical thread. It operates under the pretense that its 255% going to happen. Otherwise its just another boring thread.
Okay, I still wouldn't support it. Unless
Brodes wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:09 pm Since we're talking entirely in hypothetical here, sure, why not?I rarely crowdfund, though. I would also require everyone involved prior to Kai to be recast. Everyone. No more Schemmel, no more Sabat, no one. An incredibly faithful script that doesn't have pointless references to old dubs or teeth grinding meme/Abridged references. And, since it would of course be a dual-language release because what is this 1997, the subtitles would not have the Funimations name changes, because neither would this release on the packaging or anything associated with it. As far as this release would be concerned, the old dub doesn't exist.
it was adapted like this.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:00 pm

I‘ve said this many times before, but I fail to see what the point would be in recasting everyone who was around before Kai, while keeping everyone else. That’s such an arbitrary thing to do. At that point, you might as well just wipe the slate clean entirely. Besides, would they have to recast Colleen Clinkenbeard as Princess Snake?
Last edited by WittyUsername on Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.