"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alruneia
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Alruneia » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:12 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:31 am Here's a crazy idea for you, what do you think are the chances of Toei adapting his manga from the Champa arc instead ? In order to not only buy time for more new arcs to be written, but also to have a consistent animated adaption of them. I know it probably won't happen, but [...] I don't think it's completely impossible.
Imagine if they actually did this. :lol:
Actually, I'd even take it a step further and go all the way back to Beerus, since the BoG "arc" is in the manga. Start all the way back there, and redo the entirety of the Super anime based on the manga (without skipping Res F, which would follow its promo manga and the movie more closely). Fans would be so mad! There'd finally be more animated Super... after 2-3 years of revised old content. Oh boy.
Patching up the anime's nonsense, and hopefully the manga's nonsense as well, to create a kind of "perfect version" of the anime that uses the best bits of both is a neat concept, but as far as audience reception goes, I'm pretty sure it'd be completely unacceptable.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:41 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:23 am
ChronoTwigger wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:36 pm If the Moro arc will be just a self contained episode...
Goku mastered UI here. I don't see how that counts as a self contained story. I think it's more of "I don't like it, so surely it'll be ignored", which is just wishful thinking.
I don't like the entire modern DB thing, so it's not a matter of what I like, but what I'll do having money and need to invest it.
If i had to speak for what I like, Super will be rewrote since the beginning, ignoring movies.

If I had to think like a producer, and I'm willing to invest a big amount of cash, I'll go VERY cautious to invest into that thing. As Goku mastering UI is nothing so crucial.
Crucial is the permadeath of a main character. Crucial is world building. Crucial is the change of in-universe rules.
There, you have actually nothing except a "boost" you can explain differently in any anime episode. Or even not explaining at all.
And to me sound the entire arc was made to have nothing relevant happen and so skip it if needed.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:58 pm

Wasnt one of the main reasons for stopping the anime being to allow the manga to get ahead? Seems kinda pointless to allow it to get ahead to then go "nahhhhh we're gonna do our own thing."

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:06 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:45 am
GodVegetto91 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:43 amStarting with Broly.. I’m 100% for it!😀 But I’m 99.99% certain that won’t happen.
I think Broly getting a series version is pretty much a given at this point. I don't see why they'd adapt BOG and RF but skip Broly of all things.
The Broly movie will almost certainly GET adapted into an Anime Arc!

I’m 99+% certain of that!🙂😉

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:27 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:06 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:45 am
GodVegetto91 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:43 amStarting with Broly.. I’m 100% for it!😀 But I’m 99.99% certain that won’t happen.
I think Broly getting a series version is pretty much a given at this point. I don't see why they'd adapt BOG and RF but skip Broly of all things.
The Broly movie will almost certainly GET adapted into an Anime Arc!

I’m 99+% certain of that!🙂😉
The argument against is that more people saw Broly and you need to know what SSG and Freeza were doing alive. Broly is self contained enough to ignore like the manga sort of did.

Personally I think they will adapt just to buy time, it's also lower effort for them as they don't need to come up with a story.

As I've said before I think we'll get filler, Broly, filler, Moro, filler, whatever next manga arc which will be quite far along by then.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:15 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:06 pm
HeroR wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:31 pmBattle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' were adapted because they were technically Dragon Ball Z movies.
They're modern DB movies, it doesn't matter what name they were released under.
Branding does matter as anyone who works in marketing can tell you. So stuff like naming does matter, which is why GT products are labeled Dragon Ball Super in Japan and even here in the US on some products.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:20 am

The movies only got ep adaptions because Super was rushed into production and they needed to stall time for Toriyama to come up with the next story idea (which is what the Universe 6 tournament was), and so forth.

Adapting the two movies plus the fillers inebetween came out to over 7+ months of episodes, so it was like half a years time to give Toriyama some time for future ideas. I don't think the Broly movie will be adapted because between the Moro arc and Toriyama now having a lot of time since the end of Broly they probably don't need 3-4+ months of stalling if/whenever Super comes back.

Plus I think they learned their lesson from last time that adapting movies with terrible animation is not a good look to bring a series back with.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:15 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZxBz8-QHNo

According to V-jumps official site and its editor in chief, it looks like the current arc has almost reached it's conclusion.

Toriyama, Toyotaro and the editor in chief at Shueisha are designing a new arc as we speak.
More than likely it will be announced at this years Jump Festa.

No word on the anime or movie yet, but Super is going to continue and move on with a brand new story.

Source: Saiyko Devin.

If things are like some have predicted and TOEI had to wait for the full arc to be finalized first, then this is the moment for TOEI to start its adaptation. In that case there should be no more reason for the anime not to arise. Toriyama surely cannot have any problems with a mere adaptation of a work he approved and put his name beneath? That's, if that is the reason the anime hasn't been announced yet. We shall see ..
If the anime is not announced anytime soon (between now and let's say 4 months time), then it's going to be a pretty long wait untill it will return.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:13 pm

It'll be very weird to see the manga continually move on with new story arcs if these never get anime adaptions. I'm sure whatever the next movie is will not be the Moro arc in movie form but a new idea from Toriyama...so it'll be kinda crazy if the Super anime and manga now completely diverge with completely different storylines going forward.

I mean this is stuff you see in western superhero comics/cartoons/movies like Batman, Spiderman/Marvel, etc....but not with Japanese anime/manga. Like the Batman cartoons are not the same as the comics or movies, whereas with Dragonball we're all used to everything being one and the same.

Dragonball is almost becoming something like a western evergreen cartoon/comic franchise now...

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:18 pm

I wouldn't expect a restart of the anime for a few years. Not unless every series' staff gets cannibalized.

Call back in three years when Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) ends.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:21 pm

precita wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:13 pm It'll be very weird to see the manga continually move on with new story arcs if these never get anime adaptions. I'm sure whatever the next movie is will not be the Moro arc in movie form but a new idea from Toriyama...so it'll be kinda crazy if the Super anime and manga now completely diverge with completely different storylines going forward.
I think the next arc will lead into whatever movie Toriyama's working on.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:55 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:18 pm I wouldn't expect a restart of the anime for a few years. Not unless every series' staff gets cannibalized.

I wouldn’t be too sure. They could use Digimon’s staff and take from DQ. The latter has also been promoted as a mix between 2D and 3D so it may actually not need too much staff later down the line if they decide to make it more and more 3D.

I too believe it won’t be until another 1-2 years since we will get another animated DBS product, but I don’t think it has to necessarily happen only once DQ is over.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:12 pm

I don't immediately expect an announcement for the anime either.
I basically just wait and see what happens.
The argument 'Toriyama has not delivered a story to TOEI or first has to approve a story before TOEI can adapt,' however does not count anymore. As there is a story almost finished, approved and co-written by Akira Toriyama.
There is also no more reason to assume a 'seasonal adaptation' of the arc would not be possible.
As the manga can take more advancement in the meanwhile.
"The manga has to take anough advancement": how long is that argument going to stand?

Unless, of course, and that was the main point, there are 'other reasons' for the anime not returning.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:24 pm

emperior wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:55 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:18 pm I wouldn't expect a restart of the anime for a few years. Not unless every series' staff gets cannibalized.

I wouldn’t be too sure. They could use Digimon’s staff and take from DQ. The latter has also been promoted as a mix between 2D and 3D so it may actually not need too much staff later down the line if they decide to make it more and more 3D.

I too believe it won’t be until another 1-2 years since we will get another animated DBS product, but I don’t think it has to necessarily happen only once DQ is over.
I said so mostly as a precaution. So long as there is an elaborate production schedule that properly pencils in staff based on their availability then it should technically be possible to pull off a new series broadcasting in two years. First and foremost, though, one has to pick a series director...but who is that going to be if the majority of staff are all working on the current projects? Ask Nishio Daisuke or Yama'uchi Shigeyasu to come out of retirement? Get Shintani and Takara to draw designs in between working on Dai? Tons of questions, few answers.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:34 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:15 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZxBz8-QHNo

According to V-jumps official site and its editor in chief, it looks like the current arc has almost reached it's conclusion.

Toriyama, Toyotaro and the editor in chief at Shueisha are designing a new arc as we speak.

No word on the anime or movie yet, but Super is going to continue and move on with a brand new story.

If things are like some have predicted and TOEI had to wait for the full arc to be finalized first, then this is the moment for TOEI to start its adaptation. In that case there should be no more reason for the anime not to arise. Toriyama surely cannot have any problems with a mere adaptation of a work he approved and put his name beneath? That's, if that is the reason the anime hasn't been announced yet. We shall see ..
If the anime is not announced anytime soon (between now and let's say 4 months time), then it's going to be a pretty long wait untill it will return.
Thanks for sharing this, it's a great news!
I'm really looking for a fresh and new arc, and i hope to see something about the new movie as well!

Here the complete interview in japanese (if someone is curious)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBmBr2L ... =emb_title

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:05 pm

Gt91 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:34 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:15 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZxBz8-QHNo

I'm really looking for a fresh and new arc, and i hope to see something about the new movie as well!

S'il vous plaît mon ami.
I don't say the manga is perfect. I have some 'minor issues' (i would not say complaints, just some things that could have been dealt with more creatively or differently) with the Moro arc. The beginning was good, then the mid part let me down a bit because it kept dragging on, but the latest four-five chapters were ok again. Nothing in life is perfect and the ending still has to come. According to the editor in chief, that ending would still get an 'unexpected twist'.
All in all it's still an enjoyable read and am i still looking forward for the chapter every month, so no complaints at all the story is continuing.:thumbup:

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:10 am

I think a new movie might be taking priority over the show, especially with how successful Broly was, so we shouldn't expect any announcements for the show until after the new movie is out in theaters...assuming they're still around.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:47 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:10 am I think a new movie might be taking priority over the show, especially with how successful Broly was, so we shouldn't expect any announcements for the show until after the new movie is out in theaters...assuming they're still around.

Appearently the new movie is in pre-production for some time.
On the other hand Toriyama is only now deciding together with Toyotaro and the chief editor where the next arc is going to be about.
At this point there are still several options on table.

So from that perspective, i wonder how and where they'll fit the new movie within the continuity.
Normally, one should assume, Toriyama first has to make up the stuff that happens before the movie, before the movie itself can me made to fit exactly within the story.

He could have an universal idea about the themes of the movie, which can be adapted and fit within the continuity later on.
But in that case the movie can't be very 'production phase' at this point.

Or the movie is about DB but not really directly related to Supers (manga) continuity. Or a direct adaptation of the Moro arc.
Then it could be further in its development.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:56 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:05 pm
Gt91 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:34 pm

S'il vous plaît mon ami.
I don't say the manga is perfect. I have some 'minor issues' (i would not say complaints, just some things that could have been dealt with more creatively or differently) with the Moro arc. The beginning was good, then the mid part let me down a bit because it kept dragging on, but the latest four-five chapters were ok again. Nothing in life is perfect and the ending still has to come. According to the editor in chief, that ending would still get an 'unexpected twist'.
All in all it's still an enjoyable read and am i still looking forward for the chapter every month, so no complaints at all the story is continuing.:thumbup:
Exactly. I liked a lot the "return" of majin boo, z-fighters, a new angel, vegeta's new role/move ecc.
I totally agree with you, this arc is not perfect, but there are some cool ideas. It will surely improve with the anime (and UI music) :D

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:35 pm

Does anyone remember that interview with Sanda last month? I forgot to ask this back when it was posted, but can someone give me an accurate translation of what they're talking about?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time