Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Catsenti

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by Catsenti » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:08 am

So when I get my hands on these, how would I go about syncing the broadcast audio to my own hypothetical rips?

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:07 pm

I noticed one of the discs for Season 6 has SS2 Goku on it, which is actually from the US cover of Shin Budokai for the PSP.

The Steelbooks seem to be strictly keeping the same character as the Orange Bricks for each season. I never got why they didn't have Gohan on Season 6, and it's even weirder now with SS2 Goku on one of the discs when he didn't even reach that form until much later.

Piccolo for Season 7 never made sense either. Saiyaman would have made more sense. It's like they had something against putting Gohan on a cover. At least the 2013 Blu-rays had the appropriate characters on the covers.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:14 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:07 pm Piccolo for Season 7 never made sense either. Saiyaman would have made more sense. It's like they had something against putting Gohan on a cover. At least the 2013 Blu-rays had the appropriate characters on the covers.
I would've switched Goku and Vegeta in seasons 1 and 2. Gohan definitely should've been on Season 6. I would've kept Piccolo on 7 due to Gohan being on 6. Buu should've been on season 8.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:05 pm

Weird that the 1st 3 sets will be coming out in two weeks and Funimation hasn't been promoting them at all with trailers and posts on their social media pages. Looks like this gonna be a silent release like the Yu Yu Hakusho steelbooks.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:07 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:07 pmPiccolo for Season 7 never made sense either. Saiyaman would have made more sense. It's like they had something against putting Gohan on a cover. At least the 2013 Blu-rays had the appropriate characters on the covers.
It really is a shame Funimation don't seem interested in releasing OG Dragon Ball again in any form. If they wanted to market Piccolo with box art the final arc of that series would be perfect and feel natural.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:40 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:07 pm
90sDBZ wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:07 pmPiccolo for Season 7 never made sense either. Saiyaman would have made more sense. It's like they had something against putting Gohan on a cover. At least the 2013 Blu-rays had the appropriate characters on the covers.
It really is a shame Funimation don't seem interested in releasing OG Dragon Ball again in any form. If they wanted to market Piccolo with box art the final arc of that series would be perfect and feel natural.
Seriously, the last time FUNi really gave the original Dragon Ball series any significant amount of attention was when the Blue Bricks were coming out around a decade ago back in 2009/2010 and the few video games in the same span of time (Origins 1 and 2, Revenge of King Piccolo) and not really given it much else since then in terms of home releases and it's really disappointing.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:11 pm

As long as they mimicked Piccolo’s appearance from DB. Later DBZ Piccolo looks “older,” not because he even once got a design change, but because of the trend toward big necks, pointy noses, and square eyes, and for Piccolo in particular, a protruding brow.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:36 pm

Jumping in with a random question here:

Do the extra features on these sets all seem to line up with the prior Blu-ray Season Set release?

The 30th Anniversary Box Set didn’t have any additional on disc features from the prior Blu-ray that could be included on these Steelbooks, right?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:58 am

Gozar wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:36 pmDo the extra features on these sets all seem to line up with the prior Blu-ray Season Set release?
Based on my understanding, it seems that the special features are a mix of previous releases.

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:34 pm

Gonna be completely honest, I'm probably only gonna buy two of these. Season 5 since my orange brick set of season 5 is missing ONE DVD, and season 9 since I just want a way to make 4:3 edits of Kai without having to buy another Dragon Box.
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:09 pm

Zestanor wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:11 pm
As long as they mimicked Piccolo’s appearance from DB. Later DBZ Piccolo looks “older,” not because he even once got a design change, but because of the trend toward big necks, pointy noses, and square eyes, and for Piccolo in particular, a protruding brow.

Definitely agree with you there. Keep things consistent with the designs of the time rather than slap any generic PNG of Piccolo from Google images.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:31 am

JEFFMAN219 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:05 pm Weird that the 1st 3 sets will be coming out in two weeks and Funimation hasn't been promoting them at all with trailers and posts on their social media pages. Looks like this gonna be a silent release like the Yu Yu Hakusho steelbooks.
It will be a funny meme if they silently put these on selves and for some reason its a different remaster without dnr and everything :lol:
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:48 am

jaisonas wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:31 amIt will be a funny meme if they silently put these on selves and for some reason its a different remaster without dnr and everything :lol:
It's Funimation so anything's possible, for all we know these are the level set masters.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:51 am

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:48 am
jaisonas wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:31 amIt will be a funny meme if they silently put these on selves and for some reason its a different remaster without dnr and everything :lol:
It's Funimation so anything's possible, for all we know these are the level set masters.
Indeed, they could definitely replace the video footage on the sets if they changed their minds. FUNi works in strange ways sometimes.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:37 pm

I'm not too sure. If they really did go back and put less tampered footage on the discs, you'd think they would say something about it to drum up hype, or put it as a selling point on the case.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

Boured

Post by Boured » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:44 am

I'll unfortunately buy them, I'm a new fan of the series and I don't feel like selling my kidney for the Dragon Boxes. Already had to pay a pretty penny for all the Dragon Ball Saga Sets.

Knowing Funimation, having this sell well will at least incentivize 4:3, thats really my only problem with any other releases but the singles and Dragon Boxes.
"If you'll let me, I'll never leave you."

Mr.Poot

Post by Mr.Poot » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:39 am

Honestly with Funimation's incompetence and not wanting to pay insane prices for the Dragon Boxes I've gone full pirate and I have no guilt in the fact, I like my Dragon Box rips the only real downside is taking up 650+ GB of space. I'll gladly delete them if Funimation gets their shit together.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:39 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:37 pm
I'm not too sure. If they really did go back and put less tampered footage on the discs, you'd think they would say something about it to drum up hype, or put it as a selling point on the case.
Then they would be admitting the release they just put out was messed up and needed fixing, and they won't do that. I doubt they even have the original untouched film transfers because when fans complained about DNR they put artificial grain back into the video, when it would have been easier to just use the untouched video. They probably deleted the original after editing to free up a space on their workstations.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:22 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:39 amThey probably deleted the original after editing to free up a space on their workstations.
That wouldn't surprise me. Whoever makes the dragon ball decisions over there seems to be the kind of person who'd kill themselves by accident while trying to get dressed or eat breakfast.

VanceRefrigeration
Not-So-Newbie

Post by VanceRefrigeration » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:29 am

Why do people think that the fake grain is there as a direct response to backlash? Even the later Season Blu-ray sets had fake grain, so it feels like something they were going to do anyway. Also, the trailer for the 30th was revealed on April 5th 2019, while their blog post explaining the 4:3 ratio was put up on April 9th 2019, which had uncompressed screenshots that already showed fake grain.

To me, it doesn't seem likely that they started adding fake grain just 4 days after the reveal trailer. What seems more likely is that it was there the whole time, but we couldn't see it in the trailer because of youtube's compression. As for why they would do this instead of just using the untouched film transfers, it could be because of the sharpening they're doing. If they do their sharpening on the raw grainy version, then the grain can look worse. So instead, they DNR it to remove the grain, and then do the sharpening. And then their last step would be adding the fake grain.