Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 43 - DBZ movie 2

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 43 - DBZ movie 2

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:09 pm

Hello, ladies, gentlemen, and everyone between and beyond, and welcome to week 36 of the first Dragon Ball rewatch of the decade.
We're doing five episodes a week, and we'll be watching every single episode of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT. All 508 episodes. Plus the TV specials and the movies.
I encourage you all to watch in Japanese with subtitles, especially if you have never done so before, but watch along in whichever way brings you the most joy.

DBZ movie 2! A favourite for many.
Unfortunately, due to my own screwups, this thread is being posted very late, and we don't have much trivia. We'll update this OP soon and add more trivia, but for now, the thread is up at least.

Previous thread: Week 42 (DBZ 33-37)
Next thread: Week 44 (DBZ 38-42)

Anyway, without further ado...
Dragon Ball Z
The World’s Strongest Guy

Dub title: World's Strongest
Originally released 10th of March 1990

Director: Daisuke Nishio
Animation supervisor: Minoru Maeda
Written by: Takao Koyama

While looking at the Dragon Radar, Oolong notices that all of the Dragon Balls are starting to be gathered together. He and Gohan, who were also searching for the Dragon Balls, head out to investigate and end up at the Tsurumai-Tsuburi Mountains’ eternal wall of ice. Dr. Kochin summons Shen Long and wishes for Dr. Uiro’s lab to be released from the ice. The ice begins to break away and a building emerges. Gohan and Oolong look on in disbelief.

Soon, Dr. Kochin and Dr. Uiro begin searching for the world's strongest man, and they kidnap some of Goku's friends...

Interesting trivia:
  • This film first premiered as part of the Spring 1990 "Toei Anime Festival" on the 10th of March 1990.
  • At the time this movie aired, the manga was up to Gohan and Kuririn fighting Recoom where he breaks Gohan's neck. The anime was up to Kuririn and Dende starting off to the Grand Elder's, Vegeta slaughtering the Namekian village, and Nappa's victims arriving at Kaio's world.
  • For the second movie in a row, Piccolo takes on an antagonistic role. The fact he was mind-controlled to do is a concept that will later be revisited in the Garlic Jr. arc, which acts as a sequel to the previous movie.
  • Dr. Uiro was designed by Akira Toriyama, while Minoru Maeda designed all the other characters original to this movie.
  • This is the first Dragon Ball movie to be a full hour in length; the previous movies had been 45-50 minutes. 50-60 minutes would remain the standard from here on; the first Broly movie (75 minutes) and the 10th anniversary movie (80 minutes) are notable exceptions.
  • As is becoming increasingly common with these movies, the vague timeline placement makes this movie impossible to actually slot into the original storyline. Gohan is in his Saiyan Training outfit and can fly, suggesting that he's survived the Saiyans, however Goku is fully healed instead of having all of his bones broken, and of course Piccolo is alive. Daizenshuu 6 suggests that it takes place after the fight with Vegeta, due to Goku's gi not sporting the "go" symbols it acquires on Namek.
    • VERY confusingly, Gohan's study song shows the scene of Piccolo sacrificing his life for Gohan during the Nappa fight. It's possible Toei originally intended for this movie to be set after Namek, and figured Toriyama would have brung Piccolo back to life by that point.
  • This movie is one of the few times Gohan and Oolong actually interact with each other.
  • The capsule ship that Gohan and Oolong use to get to the mountain is the same one used by the Dragon Ball Gang to chase after Goku when he entered the Red Ribbon Army HQ, and later to travel to Baba's palace.
  • In the flashback at the start of the movie, Oolong steals the revised Dragon Radar with the mushroom top design. This is its first appearance in a movie, however it had been used in the anime and manga for several months beforehand.
    • In the shot of Oolong running from Kame House with the Radar, however, it's using the older puck design.
  • Gohan wears Piccolo's full cape outfit in this film, predating his use of it in the Cell Games by two and a half years, albeit without the shoulder pauldrons.
  • The shot of the panties falling from the sky is of course based on Episode 12 of Dragon Ball, however the shot has been re-animated (the sky is also blue, rather than green as in the original episode).
  • The shot of the Dragon Balls activating and breaking the ice uses the same sound effect used for Super Saiyan activation, although the anime hadn't reached this point yet. The sound effect was first used during Blue's duel with Tao Pai-Pai.
  • The Dragon Balls falling into the icy ravine were also used for the preroll video from the "Arrival" DVD/VHS release. Notably, this preroll video seems to contain a small amount of audio from the elusive 1996 dub of DBZ movie 1, with some vocalisations from Ian Corlett being audible at timestamp 1:12.
  • At the end of the seizure-inducing title card, the cue for the title itself uses the same series of notes used for the main title of the first Dragon Ball movie.
  • Ironically, this is the first piece of Dragon Ball anime to feature an arctic setting, despite the Head Cha-La intro featuring the shots of the crumbling iceberg. Such a setting would be used for the Super Android 13 movie, and much later for Dragon Ball Super: Broly, but the manga/anime storyline would never feature this setting.
  • The little Urio grunts of course have designs very similar to the Saibamen.
  • On the desk in Gohan's study-room is a model of a Mini Cooper in british racing green. On the shelves is also a model of a white-and-red Formula 1 car, possibly based on a piece done by Toriyama in June of that year. June 1990 is when Shonen Jump was sponsored by McLaren, who at the time were sponsored by cigarette company Malboro and thus sported the famous white-and-red paint job.
  • Also in Gohan's study is a globe, which is clearly depicting the real-world Earth: North and South America, Asia, and a particularly poor rendition of Australia are visible on it.
  • During Gohan's study song, there's a shot of him flying with a pterosaur and an orange saber-toothed cat. These are of course Goku's first opponents seen in the story (not countaing Bulma's Renault).
  • The brief scuffle at Kame House seems to imply that Roshi is stronger than Gohan at this point, as Gohan was pulverized by the grunts earlier (albiet taken by surprise).
  • Due to how topography works around small islands like Kame House, there's NO WAY the Urio ship could hide underwater like it does.
  • Misokatsun has a very similar appearance to Buyon from Muscle Tower. He even has the same ability to absorb attacks, something Goku falls for a second time.
  • When talking with Oolong, Goku says that Roshi has previously won the Tenkaichi Budokai. It's unknown if he's referring to the 21st TB, where Roshi was disguised as Jackie Chun (thus implying Goku found out), or a past victory where Roshi never used the disguise.
  • Not counting Kai or the video games, this movie is the final time Goku uses Kinto'Un to fly in official media.
  • The villains of this movie are all named after food specialties from Nagoya, including Uiro (a chewy rice confection), Kochin (a large Chinese breed of chicken), Kishime (a flat udon noodle), Ebi furai (fried prawns that is very popular in Japan) and Tonkatsu (fried pork cutlets). These were all named by Takao Koyama, the scenario writer, before their designs were made.
    • Ebifurya has extra meaning as it's a nonsense word used to poke fun at the Nagoya dialect, which adds "ya" at the end of many words. While this doesn't happen with ebi furai itself, this is why speakers of this dialect are sometimes said to talk like cats!
  • Dr. Urio and Dr. Kochin being rejected for their genetic sciences is vaguely similar to Dr. Gero. They also have similar applications of biotechnology, and kidnapped humans to subject to modifications.
  • Dr. Kochin claims that the woodland area near South City turned into a desert in an instant. This is ironic because in the anime, the area outside of South City is shown prominently in the first episode of the Red Ribbon Arc, and it is in fact a desert where Namu lives!
  • Apparently Dr. Urio is capable to sensing ki!
  • Also it's GOHAN flying the ship! Pretty good for a five year old!
  • The design of Saiyan armour has by this point influenced Minoru Maeda's character designs, as the chest/shoulder armour makes those that aren't human-shaped easier to draw (hence why the henchmen armour in this movie looks similar to Saiyan armour). In Daizenshuu 6, Maeda mused that if he were to draw Sleeping Princess' characters after this point, he likely would have done the same thing for the various demons like Ghastel, the red demon with the pink ribbons.
  • The fight in the middle of this movie is the source of many shots in the original Rock the Dragon intro, including Goku backflipping and slipping on the ice, Goku breaking free of the ice with the Kaio-Ken, Kuririn running along the wall avoiding Dr. Cochin's machine gun fire, and Goku using Kaio-Ken x3.
  • Despite moving on to Head Cha La as the title theme, this movie still uses Mystical Adventure as the theme for Goku, as always.
  • When Goku lands on the upper floor after using the Kaio-Ken, his landing pose is very similar to when he used the Kaio-Ken in the Saiyan battle.
  • Similarly, the shots of Goku recovering after using Kaio-Ken x4 are taken from when he did the same against Vegeta, hence explaining why his shirt is suddenly destroyed. In both cases, Goku has to clarify to Kuririn/Yajirobe that his target isn't dead yet.
  • Dr. Kochin explains that he's able to control Piccolo via the evil in his heart, effectively a scientific version of Babidi's spell.
  • Gohan claims that Piccolo isn't a bad person. While that's debatably true at the moment, he's forgetting that he once destroyed an entire city trying to secure rulership of the world.
  • It's unknown where Dr. Kochin stores the bullets for his machine gun arm. It's possible that they're created rapidly, similar to the gun itself.
  • The battle against Dr. Urio is the first instance of a group Kamehameha.
  • Going out of character here but WHAT?! GOHAN HAS THE NYOI-BO?!?!
  • This is the second and final time the Genki-Dama is portrayed as being contained within Goku's body before he fires it. Starting with the fight against Freeza and Tree of Might, Goku will hold his arms up and gather the ki above him instead.
  • As the Genki-Dama flies past Gohan and Kuririn, we see a collage of the people of Earth, despite no people being depicted donating to it. This is likely instead meant to represent the hopes of the people of Earth in this one final shot.
  • When Goku awakes in the snow, there's an impression around his hair, despite hair not being heavy enough to do this.
  • At the end of the film, the narrator says that another like Dr. Urio may appear somewhere, and that Goku and the others will be there. This is rather prophetic of the initial encounter with Dr. Gero, although Goku will be taken out of commission thanks to the Heart Virus and miss most of the Gero encounter. It's unknown if Toriyama took inspiration from this movie for the Android Arc, or if this is just a massive coincidence.
  • This movie was initially dubbed and released in 1998 by Pioneer using the Ocean cast, and scripts written by Ward Perry that stayed very faithful to the original Japanese script. Funimation redubbed the movie in 2005 as part of their "Ultimate Uncut" line of releases (though the original 1998 dub was already uncut), for which they tweaked the scripts by censoring it a little (any mentions of "Hell", for instance, were removed) and adding their usual "Punching up" process of adding gags and colloquialisms the Funimation writers liked. Weirdly, unlike their redubs of Z movies 1 and 3, Funimation's Kikuchi-scored mix of this movie has some of the added sound effects from the Pioneer dub that aren't in the Japanese version (the Nathan Johnson-scored mix does not have the added sound effects). There was another dub in roughly 2001, the infamous "Big Green" dub, recorded in France for distribution across Europe. Speedy Video also did a bootleg dub of this movie.
  • Some of the core people who would later form TeamFourStar (namely Lanipator and MasakoX, who were joined by Vegeta3986, who was involved in DBZA for season 1 and some of season 2) did a parody of this movie and its predecessor some time before they began work on Dragon Ball Z: The Abridged Series. A script for Z movie 3 was written but never recorded, according to Lanipator (apparently it was mostly written by Vegeta3986, and the other two members of the group hated it, which proved to be the death of the group, which paved the way for TeamFourStar to be formed). Initially, TeamFourStar skipped parodying these first two movies, but they eventually got around to them, with nothing from the original Neighbourhood Cluck scripts making it into the TeamFourStar versions.
    • The Neighbourhood Cluck versions of DBZ movies 1 and 2 are considered something of an old shame by TeamFourStar, much like a lot of their early work; though this pre-TFS material even moreso than DBZA season 1, seemingly largely because Vegeta3986's popularity among the "Abridging" scene meant he often got his way on jokes Lanipator and MasakoX didn't like; apparently these writing conflicts are a large part of why Tree Of Might never went beyond a script. These days, it's nearly impossible to find the original version of Z movie 1, though a "Remastered" edit is currently on YouTube, which appears to be basically the original but with music from Dragon Ball Kai added, and possibly some of the footage replaced with slightly higher-quality sources.
Episode summaries, airdates, and titles courtesy of Kanzenshuu's episode guide. Filler breakdowns and Dragon Ball logo provided, and trivia co-written, by KBABZ.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 43 - DBZ movie 2 (CURRENT WEEK)

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:33 pm

This is my second favorite of the early Z movies after Return my Gohan/Dead Zone and i like it. The Pioneer dub is by far the best way by which to watch the film in English, more so then the 2005 FUNi redub which is definitely not nearly as good or accurate script wise.

The Big Green dub is absolutely hilarious, definitely worth a watch for a good laugh
as the others are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw1G-HjX_fM

Notes:

- Gohan's hair is still long in this movie, much as it is in the Saiyan arc until it gets changed to a bowl cut before he, Bulma and Krillin depart for Planet Namek. This gives a rough sense in relation to the series where this movie falls even if not canon to the latter in most respects.

- Even though this movie can't really be put along with the series timeline, judging by things such as Goku's gi and others it would have to be taking place after the Saiyan arc even if certain things don't add up with the manga and anime's events.

- Bulma's outfit is similar to the one she wore at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai in the original DB series with a similar hairstyle as well.

- Tien, Chiaoutzu, Yamcha and Puar don't appear at all within the film, likely because this story didn't really have much for them to contribute so they were instead held over until the next film.

- This is the second consecutive film after the previous to have a song centered around Gohan with Piccolo Dai Suki/I Love Piccolo, and the next in Movie 4 albeit as an instrumental whistle song.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:00 pm

This is a pretty landmark film for Dragon Ball

It’s the first Dragon Ball film have a sci fi flavoring the pre-Boo Z era was known for

It’s, if I’m not mistaken, the last time Mystical Adventure will be used as Son Goku’s motif and the last time he’ll use kinto un and nyoi bo

It’s the first Dragon Ball film to not recycle any plot elements from the series, something we won’t see again until Broli

It sets the trend of Goku using Genki Dama as the finisher in the movies a trend that will last until movie 6 iirc. Something Toriyama won’t do for the main series until the final villain.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:09 pm

Looking back at these really makes me wish we got these kind of shorter movies alongside Super. I know anime movies have gotten longer lengths with bigger budgets, but I miss these short side stories that took a break from the main events going on at the time. I like the setting, the villain, the action, it's overall a really enjoyable movie.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:24 pm

I love this movie, such a unique concept and backstory for a Dragon Ball villain.

It's also quite sentimental for being the first Dragon Ball DVD I ever owned when my mother bought it for me 16 years ago. It was the UK Warner Vision DVD containing the Big Green dub, which I understand a lot of people were disappointed about back in the day. Honestly I didn't care, I was just like "wow, a Dragon Ball Z movie", and it's still very funny, so have my copy to this day. I also own the Pioneer DVD.

I've also come to appreciate this movie more with age because it doesn't rely on a lot of the Dragon Ball Z cliches we've become accustomed to like transformations and ki spamming, and there's some really nice traditional martial arts.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:30 pm

Movie 2 is great, maybe my favorite along with Movie 1.

The characters are great in this. I like the use of Oolong here. Bulma and Roshi are good as well. Also good to see the Son family dynamics at play, which the movies do a good job with.

I appreciate Bulma's "Oh, no!"/nou joke.

Dr. Uirō and Dr. Cochin are cool villains. Uiro has a powerful presence. He almost reminds me of a video game boss or something. Cochin has a cool death scene. The robot reveal is nice.

Good action scenes in this one, especially with Goku.

The musical tracks in this one are some of my favorites. They complement the movie perfectly, and also really work well within the tv series. I also like the music in the title card sequence, as well as the ending theme song "Ikusa". Gohan getting another insert song is a nice touch. I kind of wish it had become an ongoing thing with the movies.

This movie was made during the Saiyan Saga era, which is reflected throughout the film in different ways. The Biomen soldiers are obviously based upon the Saibaimen designs, and the sequence with Piccolo fighting them references it as well. Also Goku's Kamehameha and Kaio-ken fight versus Uiro is taken from the Vegeta battle.

The Pioneer dub is also great. Kelamis really does some of his best work here. I particularly like the scene where he gathers energy for the Spirit Bomb. Ward Perry is also good as Willow.

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:33 pm - Tien, Chiaoutzu, Yamcha and Puar don't appear at all within the film, likely because this story didn't really have much for them to contribute so they were instead held over until the next film.
I think it's probably more because Toei wasn't interested in writing those characters into the movies. I believe they only appear in Movies Three and Nine. It also probably helps to have a smaller group of characters to write for in the movies.
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:00 pm It sets the trend of Goku using Genki Dama as the finisher in the movies a trend that will last until movie 6 iirc. Something Toriyama won’t do for the main series until the final villain.
Goku doesn't use the Genki Dama in Movies 5 or 6, but he does in Movie 7.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:35 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:30 pm Movie 2 is great, maybe my favorite along with Movie 1.

The characters are great in this. I like the use of Oolong here. Bulma and Roshi are good as well. Also good to see the Son family dynamics at play, which the movies do a good job with.

I appreciate Bulma's "Oh, no!"/nou joke.

Dr. Uirō and Dr. Cochin are cool villains. Uiro has a powerful presence. He almost reminds me of a video game boss or something. Cochin has a cool death scene. The robot reveal is nice.

Good action scenes in this one, especially with Goku.

The musical tracks in this one are some of my favorites. They complement the movie perfectly, and also really work well within the tv series. I also like the music in the title card sequence, as well as the ending theme song "Ikusa". Gohan getting another insert song is a nice touch. I kind of wish it had become an ongoing thing with the movies.

This movie was made during the Saiyan Saga era, which is reflected throughout the film in different ways. The Biomen soldiers are obviously based upon the Saibaimen designs, and the sequence with Piccolo fighting them references it as well. Also Goku's Kamehameha and Kaio-ken fight versus Uiro is taken from the Vegeta battle.

The Pioneer dub is also great. Kelamis really does some of his best work here. I particularly like the scene where he gathers energy for the Spirit Bomb. Ward Perry is also good as Willow.

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:33 pm - Tien, Chiaoutzu, Yamcha and Puar don't appear at all within the film, likely because this story didn't really have much for them to contribute so they were instead held over until the next film.
I think it's probably more because Toei wasn't interested in writing those characters into the movies. I believe they only appear in Movies Three and Nine. It also probably helps to have a smaller group of characters to write for in the movies.
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:00 pm It sets the trend of Goku using Genki Dama as the finisher in the movies a trend that will last until movie 6 iirc. Something Toriyama won’t do for the main series until the final villain.
Goku doesn't use the Genki Dama in Movies 5 or 6, but he does in Movie 7.
I wouldn't be surprised if that were indeed the case there, because given how Toei had most of the movies set up story wise i'd say there was really no way they could've feasibly written them in which would've made sense or made effective use of them. Tree of Might and Bojack on the other hand had situations with the plots in which all of the aforementioned characters would fit.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:36 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:30 pm I particularly like the scene where he gathers energy for the Spirit Bomb.
Is that where he says "It's warm, it's so warm!"? It's weirdly sexual.

Anyway, is the giant robot magnifying the size of Uiro's brain? Isn't the plan to put his brain in Goku's head? Do they mean physically put it in Goku's head? I've never gotten an answer to these questions I've had for 20+ years.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:11 pm

Of the 13 Z movies, Movie 2 is easily in my top 5.

The movie embraces a heavy Sci-Fi tone, and the plot is simple and straightforward but in a good way, not exactly feeling "bare-bones" like future movies would suffer from. I like the cool frigid arctic setting that wouldn't be done again until Movie 7. The main villains are quite unique for anything we've seen so far for a DB villain, being revenge seeking mad scientists who create the strong creatures as a tool to get the dirty work done, rather than being the big muscle themselves. Compare to future movies, I say it uses it's run time a bit more wisely.

Underused characters like Oolong and Roshi get some time to shine and actually get to contribute something besides a cheap gag. And again the animation is looking very sharp, when Goku busts out of the ice with his Kaio-ken it's something I always go back to watch again. :lol:
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:27 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:09 pm Looking back at these really makes me wish we got these kind of shorter movies alongside Super. I know anime movies have gotten longer lengths with bigger budgets, but I miss these short side stories that took a break from the main events going on at the time. I like the setting, the villain, the action, it's overall a really enjoyable movie.
I can see where you're coming from. Having nice self contained bite-sized movies can make room for exploring more unique or strange ideas that wouldn't fly with fans being in the main series. Though seeing how DB movies are used as major stepping stones for the main story, going back to the sort of model the original Z movies used would be a bit of a shock for some. BoG basically set everyone up for Super, RoF continued where BoG left off, and Broly may have set us up for future stories featuring him.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:20 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:27 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:09 pm Looking back at these really makes me wish we got these kind of shorter movies alongside Super. I know anime movies have gotten longer lengths with bigger budgets, but I miss these short side stories that took a break from the main events going on at the time. I like the setting, the villain, the action, it's overall a really enjoyable movie.
I can see where you're coming from. Having nice self contained bite-sized movies can make room for exploring more unique or strange ideas that wouldn't fly with fans being in the main series. Though seeing how DB movies are used as major stepping stones for the main story, going back to the sort of model the original Z movies used would be a bit of a shock for some. BoG basically set everyone up for Super, RoF continued where BoG left off, and Broly may have set us up for future stories featuring him.
I agree with this and it feels like people have forgotten the art of a great one off, especially one that isn't canon (heaven forbid)
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:34 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:27 pmThough seeing how DB movies are used as major stepping stones for the main story, going back to the sort of model the original Z movies used would be a bit of a shock for some.
I'm not saying they should replace what we have now, but rather do both. The shorter 40-50 minute movies can be aired on TV as specials like what one piece has, while the BOG like movies remain in theaters.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:41 am

Noticed that you mentioned the Big Green dub of this movie, one scene I can always remember from that version is when Bulma is asked "Who is the strongest in the world?", the actors manage to say "Son Goku" in 3 slightly different ways it's just strange.

Though my real biggest question will always be how on earth did "Piccolo" turn into "Big Green" in translation. Considering that they use literal translations for a lot of stuff, going so far to say "Saiya People" in their dub of Movie 3. I'm just dumbfounded. :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:50 am

Having just watched this movie for the first time to gather trivia, this is easily the best one (and not just because Gohan didn't need to risk his life taking alcohol to have his song!). The extra 15 minutes REALLY benefits the pacing of the story as it allows more breathing room and feels more like a complete work. I will say though that, similar to DBS Broly, the movie does suffer from having fighting take up the ENTIRE back half of the movie. Like Broly though it does have a smartly limited cast, and only includes who it has to (with the possible exception of Krillin who once again kinda shows up out of nowhere through sheer obligation). Also if I have to hear "PICCOLO-SAAAAAAN!!" one more time...

Also, kinda funny how a lot of this movie's elements parallel the Android Arc!
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:41 am Though my real biggest question will always be how on earth did "Piccolo" turn into "Big Green" in translation. Considering that they use literal translations for a lot of stuff, going so far to say "Saiya People" in their dub of Movie 3. I'm just dumbfounded. :lol:
Easy: they wanted to avoid using the name of a dainty woodwind instrument.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:23 am

The Big Green dub of this movie has so many funny moments i just can't get enough of.

"Go-Han, back away from him. He doesn't know you. He was CHAAAAAAAANGE!!!!!!!"

"You're completely gaga"

"Tell me, who is the strongest man?"

"What a stupid question, Son Goku naturahlly"

"Son Gohku?"

"Yes, SonGoku"

(OMG, Bulma's Big Green voice is so hilarious. XD)

"He's as fluffy as a marshmallow sandwich"

"You have to help Meeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!"

And of course my favorite, one of the many instances where almost every attack is called the Kamehameha even when it clearly isn't.

"KAAAAMEEEEEHAAAAAMEEEEHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!"

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:41 am

I too really enjoyed the sci-fi setting and of the first three films this one is definitely my favorite, I wonder if there were ever plans dub this film and/or Dead Zone with the Ocean cast? I do wonder why they skipped straight to Tree of Might.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:35 am

After this week and my temporary ban lifted, I think I can finally catch up with you guys in this great episode-by-episode commentary of the series entire run (I stopped watching the series right at the point of Freeza's first appearance).
Last edited by Paulo Gabriel on Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:36 am

Planetnamek wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:41 am I wonder if there were ever plans dub this film and/or Dead Zone with the Ocean cast? I do wonder why they skipped straight to Tree of Might.

They did dub those films with the Ocean cast...

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:57 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:36 am
Planetnamek wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:41 am I wonder if there were ever plans dub this film and/or Dead Zone with the Ocean cast? I do wonder why they skipped straight to Tree of Might.

Ah should've clarified, I meant dubbed to air on TV like Tree of Might.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:14 pm

Additional trivia added. :)

Here are all the new additions:
Sorry for these being so late.
Planetnamek wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:57 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:36 am
Ah should've clarified, I meant dubbed to air on TV like Tree of Might.
They did do DBZ movie 1 with the Ocean cast as a TV dub in 1996, but it never aired and never had a home video release. It's possible they also did this movie, but there's no particular evidence to suggest they did. Likely the reason they did Z movie 3 during the Saban era is because they thought Gohan and the dinosaur would be a hit with kids, and the Funi producers decided to do it only when season 2 was entering production, at which point it would be the most relevant movie to dub.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.