"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by precita » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:23 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:31 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:28 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:24 pmDragon Ball is one of the most popular and successful franchises in the world, how can it not have an anime?
It didn't for 18 years straight, from 1997-2015. I don't believe we'll have to wait that long, but nothing's guaranteed.
Well that's why we call it a "Revival", No? Now that the producers have figured out there's still a huge interest for Dragon Ball, they won't suddenly ditch the anime.

Besides, the anime is what the vast majority of people will be exposed to, not the manga. How many casual Dragon Ball fans know about Moro, Merus, and basically this arc at all?
The anime has already been on hiatus for 2 years, wouldn't be surprised if we hit 5 years besides new movies.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:53 am

precita wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:23 pmThe anime has already been on hiatus for 2 years, wouldn't be surprised if we hit 5 years besides new movies.
It's definitely hitting 5, I just can't see Toei moving on with a full series while they have the likes of one piece, digimon, and dragon quest on-going. That's a good thing, as I want the show to be of the highest quality possible, so the longer they take and the less they're working on when it returns the better.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:36 am

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:07 amI also think this is likely, but there's still a chance they cut out the anime entirely and focus on movies instead. If they can bring in even half the numbers DS is currently doing, wouldn't it make more sense financially to release a movie every 2 years instead of every 3-4 ? Broly's budget was around $8.5 million, which is more or less the budget of a 50 episode show, but the work is less and the profits are more.
According to ANN:
A typical show can cost as little as US$125,000 per episode. On occasion a very well-off production can go north of US$300,000 per episode, but that's pretty rare. Budgets for an anime are never made public, but that's the general level things are at.

So that gives us a range of about $6 million for an average 50 episode anime to over $15 million for a high budget production. That might be over a few years since the highest budget anime seem to be seasonal with long breaks between them.

I'm not sure how much revenue DBS generated since it would mostly come from licensing while movies would have that plus box office revenue. It's possible that continue with movies might be cheaper for them and less work overall while earning more. They did say it depends on Toriyama so I think what matters most is what he's comfortable with.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:45 pm

Also how much longer can Nozawa keep doing Goku's voice now that she's 83? If they wait a few more years she'll be pushing 90. Imagine doing Goku's screams at her age? This is not even taking into consideration she may not be healthy enough to voice act in a few more years even if she lives to 100.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:52 pm

precita wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:45 pm Also how much longer can Nozawa keep doing Goku's voice now that she's 83? If they wait a few more years she'll be pushing 90. Imagine doing Goku's screams at her age? This is not even taking into consideration she may not be healthy enough to voice act in a few more years even if she lives to 100.
She may also just want to retire and enjoy the rest of her life with her loved ones. I think Goku getting recast will be a lot sooner than later.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:40 am

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:52 pm
precita wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:45 pm Also how much longer can Nozawa keep doing Goku's voice now that she's 83? If they wait a few more years she'll be pushing 90. Imagine doing Goku's screams at her age? This is not even taking into consideration she may not be healthy enough to voice act in a few more years even if she lives to 100.
She may also just want to retire and enjoy the rest of her life with her loved ones. I think Goku getting recast will be a lot sooner than later.
Wouldn't she already had done that? She's also said something along the lines that she breathes and lives Goku.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:43 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:40 amWouldn't she already had done that? She's also said something along the lines that she breathes and lives Goku.
You make 2 good points, which is why I don't think she's going anywhere now, but what about 5 years from now ? or even a bit earlier ?

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:40 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:43 am
sangofe wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:40 amWouldn't she already had done that? She's also said something along the lines that she breathes and lives Goku.
You make 2 good points, which is why I don't think she's going anywhere now, but what about 5 years from now ? or even a bit earlier ?
She's gone on record saying she can keep acting till 100, or even 128. While I'm sure it wasn't said in total stony-faced seriousness, I think it basically shows her intention to keep doing it as long as she's physically able to. If she has a choice in the matter, she'll keep doing it.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:41 am

Yeah you've got to give Nozawa respect for being so committed to the role. Taking on Super was a lot at her age, but she still knocked it out of the park. I'd be grateful if she continued and we get even more great performances but I wouldn't expect it of her or any voice actor if it was better for their health to retire. Nozawa is still seemingly very healthy and energetic for her age though.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:34 pm

Good morning everyone. We have news with future Toei productions and I would like to comment on them.

Sailor Moon Eternal movies 1 and 2.
The 2 Sailor Moon movies in co-production by Toei Animation and Studio Deen have revealed, trailer, date and more information about the movies:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... er/.165272

The 2 films will be released in January and February 2021.

On the other hand, the premiere date of the new season of World Trigger has already been revealed.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily- ... -9/.165515

On January 9, the new season of World Trigger will premiere on TV Asahi. The director of this new season of the series is the director of Dragon Ball Super Future Trunks saga.

How many episodes can the new season of World Trigger have? The previous season ended in episode 73 of the anime which was equivalent to episode 119 of the manga so the new season began in episode 120 of the manga.
Currently due to the health of the creator, the manga currently has 202 episodes and is published monthly.

That is, they have approximately 85 episodes to adapt and the previous season I adapted in 73 anime episodes 119 manga episodes. That means that this new season should not last more than 1 year.

Greetings! :)

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:36 pm

Okay but like, i really love World Trigger and i hope they do it... goodly...

World Trigger is also monthly now so it will get caught up a lot quicker than the original run.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:23 pm

World Trigger explains where the Koizumis have been.

But yeah, Super isn't happening for a long while now.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:29 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:23 pm World Trigger explains where the Koizumis have been.

But yeah, Super isn't happening for a long while now.
Resources seem to be very stretched thin right now considering how the quality of the Digimon anime has gone down the crapper recently. I think it's safe to say holding off on another Super anime was the best call.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:47 pm

So I guess the future of Dragonball is movies only now, which admittedly, isn't a bad thing.

I guess the Moro arc will never get an anime adaption then. It's probably impossible to condense it to a single 1 hour 40 minute movie too, so I can't see it getting a movie treatment either. I guess people who don't like the arc can just ignore it then if it stays manga exclusive.

On the other hand it's kinda sad, and makes you realize Super was just a one-off run from 2015-2018....only about 3 1/2 years of episodes.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:01 am

Can't do a movie if all your action animators are working on every other series.

The Moro arc would be easy to adapt into 100 minutes. Just remove a ton of shit and make the story tighter.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:21 am

precita wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:47 pm So I guess the future of Dragonball is movies only now, which admittedly, isn't a bad thing.

I guess the Moro arc will never get an anime adaption then. It's probably impossible to condense it to a single 1 hour 40 minute movie too, so I can't see it getting a movie treatment either.

It's kinda sad Super was just a one-off run from 2015-2018....only about 3 1/2 years of episodes.
That's not surprising considering how much $$$ Broly made, as it might make more sense financially to cut the anime out entirely in favor of putting out more movies.

It'd be impossible if they were to adapt it as is, but if they wanted it animated they'd find a way to cut it down to fit a 100 minute time window.

I don't think Super will remain as a one off show, however it's clear we'll be waiting a lot longer for its return (or sequel) than we thought. DB is currently in a similar position to GTA, where it doesn't need new installments to make $$$. That obviously won't last forever, but it'll last longer than it would for another franchise.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:22 am

I think that in general it is pointless to expect, and hope for something which MAY happen, and just focus on other stuff that is actually available.

Or do something different, but still related to DB, such as start drawing characters, or something like that...

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:25 am

Psajdak wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:22 amI think that in general it is pointless to expect, and hope for something which MAY happen, and just focus on other stuff that is actually available.
I definitely agree that, at this point at least, it is pointless, as a potential return is all but confirmed to not happen until years from now, if even then.
Nanatsu88 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:34 pmThe new season of World Trigger will premiere on TV Asahi. The director of this new season is the director of Dragon Ball Super Future Trunks saga. They have approximately 85 episodes to adapt and the previous season I adapted in 73 anime episodes 119 manga episodes. That means that this new season should not last more than 1 year.
Once they're done adapting that they'll just move on to something else not DB related, as they've been doing since 2018. DB's return to TV is nothing short of years away, if even that, it may not return at all.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:24 am

precita wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:47 pm So I guess the future of Dragonball is movies only now, which admittedly, isn't a bad thing.

I guess the Moro arc will never get an anime adaption then.
But how can they do a new movie without adapting Moro arc? Considering that Moro's arc begins right after Goku returns from Planet Vampa too...

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:34 am

Xeogran wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:24 amBut how can they do a new movie without adapting Moro arc? Considering that Moro's arc begins right after Goku returns from Planet Vampa too...
I guess we'll (hopefully) find out this December at Jump Festa.